Thread: Spamazon!

Angry Spamazon!

Blargh!

Alright, so, I logged into Amazon for the first time in a while, wanting to buy the third Age of Fire book. It was then that I noticed my recommendations list. The last time I was on Amazon, I managed to clear it completely, since it was full of stuff I wouldn't even look twice at. Now, after being completely inactive, it's randomly filled up again! The items within were linked from things I did LITERALLY over five years ago! Not only that, but the items are BARELY linked to one another at all! (A children's alphabet toy? Because I bought a Mega Bloks dragon? Where the hell did THAT come from?)

And not only that, but the EMAILS *shudder*. Amazon keeps sending me spam mail, but no matter how many times I mark Amazon email as spam, more keeps showing up in my inbox and not the spam folder. Down with Spamazon! Burn it to the proverbial ground! Blah blah blah blah...Okay, my random angry rant is done now

Default Re: Spamazon!

I feel your pain. I signup for thing like amazon either with my hotmail spam account or use 10minutemail.com. Which is also great as after 10 mins the email is gone forever
    Only a select handful of things will I ever use my primary email to sign up with. I still get the occasional spam mail but its very rare.

E-bay is just as bad.... I'm sick of having to click message of the day away before I can see my account. They send a ton of junk e-mail too.

I personaly love their recommendations for books list - but I knwo how you can fix your issue.

You can't just clear it all out in one go - because as new books come out - every day - they are tweaking yoru recommendation list and adding to it. Anytime you remove something you just remove that ONE item from your list - you don't stop it from doing anything else.

HOWEVER - its pretty easy to tailor it better (or give it no basis at all). If you go into your Recommendation settings (I THINK Through your account, but you can also get there by clicking on the "why were you recommended this" on any of your items as well. You can go there and remove *ANY* and *ALL* items that feed into your recommendations.

Don't want to be recommended anything else because you bought those blocks - go click on "remove from list" next to it - and amazon will no longer "consider" it when it suggests things. (I imagine you ordered what is technically considered a child's toy of some type - which may be why you're getting other toys recommended to you. I order the Dark Tower Comic Books cuz I'm a huge King fan, but I removed them from my recommendation list because I don't want every other comic book put in my recommendations.)

Got some book you had to order once but its not really what you want to be browsing as a genre - you can remove it from consideration for recommendations.

You can't get rid of a recommendation list at all - its part of having an account. You certainly never have to use it - or use only certain parts (for example, I only look at book recommendations and never any other genre).

Whatever you purchase or rate on Amazon will be added for "consideration" to the list - to effect your recommendations - unless you go and tell it otherwise!!

But you can't disable the service itself. You can just never check it.

And as for the spam - huh - I don't get very much at all. Maybe one or two emails a month if that. Wierd. I'ved used it once a month or two for years to order books.

Got any questions let me know - I might can help. As I said I LOVE this featuer and use it constantly to update my wishlist and keep the books and series I"m interested in up to date (on my wishlist) so I can just run to it and click on the next ones I want without having to search.
    Last edited by Frith-Rae; August 25th, 2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Gah, i know that one. Luckily i dont have your problem and everything goes straight to the spam box, including reciepts and IMPORTANT stuff... guh. maybe not such a good idea after all ><

Your best defence is to just go tunnel-vision and ignore it all to get to the one you want

p.s I love the Age of Fire series, the fourth one will be out soon ^^
    Melanath- level 100 ADV/ 60 DCRA -
    Shas Mackard- Saris Berserker/Outfitter et al

For Lunus, for Dralk! Death before Dishonour!

I would love to put amazon on my spam list, but then I would not recieve the copy of the order I just did or other important stuff. So I have to live with that fact that they often send me "buy this DVD/book/Blah" or "20% discount on blah/blubb/meh".

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Thread Information