Thread: Balance of melee based mobs vs spell based mobs

Default Balance of melee based mobs vs spell based mobs

Hi all

A guildee said something today that made me stop and think

"the whole game seems geared towards melee"

So I had a think about this. To me there does seem to be an unbalance as it seems the above quote is correct (see examples below)

As a player we can choose whether to be solely spell based or to level melee schools as well, however we don't seem to have appropriate spell based mobs to fight (unless you fight undead all the time).

Examples of primarily melee based attacks
    Golems
    Beetles
    Orges and Pygmies
    Oastics
    Spiders
    Fyakki
    Vexators
    Abominations
    Kwellens
    Blights
    Wolves
    Treants

Examples of primarily spell based attacks
    Undead
    Bloodskulks

So the question is, do you think there are enough spell based mobs in the game?
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Default Re: Balance of melee based mobs vs spell based mobs

When it comes to fighting the Withered Aegis I often feel like there are too many spellcasting enemies of the monster and undead variety. A few of them mix both melee and spellcasting.

Regular mobs like beetles, golems, wolves and the likes make up a large part of the enemy population, and are not really part of the WA armies. When it comes to 'grind' mobs like these then I do appreciate your point in that most of these rely on melee primarily, with only a few spells/abilities thrown in for good measure.

The list you posted I don't entirely agree with. I see the following as having a fairly equal balance of spell/ability and melee attacks:

Oastics
    Vexators
    Abominations
    Kwellens
    Blights
    Treants

In my experience skulks tend to also have a solid mix of melee and spell casting, but then it varies on the school of the skulk you are fighting.

I'm not saying that your observations are inaccurate. I'm simply providing my own observations for contrast.

Default Re: Balance of melee based mobs vs spell based mobs

I think it's a decent balance currently, considering how fast WA spellcasters can drop you without your damage log even letting you know they're there.

There are also a bunch of melee mobs with some spell-like abilities (beetle ranged attacks, debuffs and DoTs, spider DoTs, Oastic Thorns, Treant regen spells)... it's not all just black and white, just because they're not MCing flame bomb V on ya.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Thread Information