Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debate on testing of deltas

Default Re: Debate on testing of deltas

They also communicate with the players on items currently in development, and maintain an internal “known issues� list so that they can communicate with players the direction the game is going in the future.
    Oh! Forgot about that.
    It would be nice to have the Emissary's communicate that Internal Known Issues list with us!
    And also to communicate with us Items Currently in Development so players know the direction the game is going in the future!
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    So was mine. I'm saying to have less bugs they need dedicated payed testers.
    Is there a game out there that has payed testers? This sounds like quite a luxury that even most mainstream games can't afford! You say you want payed testers when there are a number of current players that are more than happy to post or ask about something that's wrong.

You also say you want upgrades and enhancemetns to the game. Well, which one is it? Would your rather have payed testers or new content and upgrades?

I'm really wondering where all this magical money is coming from as some of our current devs are voulenteers. Pretty messed up if a tester is getting paid more than a developer and more of an incentive for them to quit developing wouldn't you say?

I think what I said came across not as i had intended , when I say I don't have the mindset to go out looking for bugs as a burden , I see it as a challenge to find out how the new things are working and what is wrong along the way , so I don't think of bug hunting as a burden , but a challenge and FUN to me, I'm a programmer and a computer geek on the whole , so I love to look for things that are broken, and work arounds or probable possible causes to what it could be.

@Creme
    If you refer to the old thread, that is snow from yesteday. I refered to the information that is atm valid.

@all
    And if someone says herald, I feel sure spoken to me. There is much confusion and missunderstandings about the heralds and emissaries ongoing about latley, which made me very fed up about because people just don't read the annoucements. Those missunderstandings didn't occure if they had cared to look.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    @Creme
    If you refer to the old thread, that is snow from yesteday. I refered to the information that is atm valid.
    Ah, I understand your confusion. I thought I was quite clear by stating that it was the initial herald position.

And I had cared to look .

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Ah, I understand your confusion. I thought I was quite clear by stating that it was the initial herald position.

And I had cared to look .
    Yeah what initial position? That one that was very at the beginning when heralds first showed up or that you pointed later out? I hardly could knew which you meant. Whatever, confusion is now cleared up.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan
    Yeah what initial position? That one that was very at the beginning when heralds first showed up or that you pointed later out? I hardly could knew which you meant. Whatever, confusion is now cleared up.
    The one from the URL I posted earlier. I can repost it if you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    The one from the URL I posted earlier. I can repost it if you like?
    Don't talk to me like I am dumb, in you post where you said "I could have sworn that in one of the initial "herald" responsibilities, testing was on the list.", you didn't posted a url about the old annoucement.

Here is your post:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...8&postcount=11

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Don't talk to me like I am dumb, in you post where you said "I could have sworn that in one of the initial "herald" responsibilities, testing was on the list.", you didn't posted a url about the old annoucement.

Here is your post:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...8&postcount=11
    This is true, it was in the 2nd post (POST#40) I made, referring to the initial "herald" announcement discussion thread. I shall be more clear and next time I refer to a post, I'll give you the post # so that you can keep the posts clear .

NOTE:

I do not think or expect that the "SHARD HERALDS" do blight testing as part of their responsibilities.
    Last edited by Creme; September 9th, 2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added note on current herald responsibilities.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i pay to play on blight, i accept what it means to have my whole game life on the test server, i am happy to do whatever i can to find and fix probs with this game, and i am proud to be a (if i may be immodest) valued and valuable member of blight's community.

if you do not play on blight, for whatever reason, that is fine with me - go and have fun.

but i and all blighties fulfill a much needed function and i do not feel that we should be dismissed or demeaned by our choice to play on the test server.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta
    i pay to play on blight, i accept what it means to have my whole game life on the test server, i am happy to do whatever i can to find and fix probs with this game, and i am proud to be a (if i may be immodest) valued and valuable member of blight's community.

if you do not play on blight, for whatever reason, that is fine with me - go and have fun.

but i and all blighties fulfill a much needed function and i do not feel that we should be dismissed or demeaned by our choice to play on the test server.
    I have the greatest respect for blight residents and all that you do. I don't think anyone has demeaned or dismissed the contributions that you make.

wow, relax folks ^^;

Folks, please! Nobody is required to test anything except the VI staff.

Everyone is welcome to help, of course...

Callak, you're not required to test either. The thing is, no company has enough paid testers to catch everything, and no company ever will. There are just too many variables.

If you choose to help test, great! If not, please submit a ticket when you find something so that we can see about fixing it. We can't fix anything if we don't know there's a problem.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Is there a game out there that has payed testers? This sounds like quite a luxury that even most mainstream games can't afford! You say you want payed testers when there are a number of current players that are more than happy to post or ask about something that's wrong.

You also say you want upgrades and enhancemetns to the game. Well, which one is it? Would your rather have payed testers or new content and upgrades?

I'm really wondering where all this magical money is coming from as some of our current devs are voulenteers. Pretty messed up if a tester is getting paid more than a developer and more of an incentive for them to quit developing wouldn't you say?
    What really frusterates me is I know that they are way too underfunded and understaffed to run the game properly, and it shows. That's it in a nutshell. And this is a game that has so much promise. I WISH someone would buy them out and make somthing of it, but from my experience in past threads, it seems everyone thinks that's a pipe dream.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    Callak, you're not required to test either. The thing is, no company has enough paid testers to catch everything, and no company ever will. There are just too many variables.
    Understood, but my point is that I think the players are relied apon too much for testing. I'll ask this a third time, do you have ANY dedicated payed testers that are not programmers?

* snuffles curiously*

Understood, but my point is that I think the players are relied apon too much for testing. I'll ask this a third time, do you have ANY dedicated payed testers that are not programmers?
    I'll ask again then too. Is there a game out there that has payed testers?

Are you a programmer? You could always develop a game yourself with no bugs whatsoever. Really, it dosen't matter how much money you throw at an online game, there is bound to be something broken due to the nature of the ever-changing world. Heck, find me a recent first person game that has no glitches or bugs whatsoever.
    Last edited by Shian; September 9th, 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added recent. Tetris does not count.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Is there a game out there that has payed testers?
    I have no proof, but from what I have seen of the quality of the game, I think WoW does. And yes I'm err was a programmer, and no I dont do perfect work, but that is what the highered testers, or QA (Quality Assurance) department is supposed to take care of.

* snuffles curiously*

Interesting how every debate that gets heated up a bit gets move to rants.

* snuffles curiously*

Most games have paid QA teams. Tulga had Illyist until EI arrived. We don't have a full-time QA person now. Wish we did. But thats the way things are. You deal with it as best you can.

Yes, sometimes bugs slip through. That happens to everyone. INCLUDING Blizzard (otherwise patch notes wouldn't contain sections of fixes, only sections of additions and changes).

Callak, for us its really a balancing act. Since we are a small team, the same people who fix bugs also create new content. It would be great if it weren't that way, but it is. So we balance things because no new content would kill the game faster than a few bugs that slip through.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I have no proof, but from what I have seen of the quality of the game, I think WoW does.
    WoW does indeed. However, they don't expect those QA folks to catch everything by any means. For serious, in-depth testing, they do the same thing we do: rely on feedback from players on testing servers. In fact, as I understand it, the QA team for WoW doesn't so much look for bugs as take bug reports from players and try to reproduce the error so they can send it to the programming team.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information