Thread: Named Mob Quest(s)

Default Named Mob Quest(s)

I got this idea after reading the 'Named Mob Wiki" thread in the general section of the forums.

I could easily see 6 or more quests from this idea:
    Quests 1-6...the named mobs for each tier, probably given by the associated trophy hunter, and either an emblem or some unique attuned item when the quest is completed.

Additional quests could be for special mobs, such as Daknor, Fafnir, etc, others for a group of WD, or ED, or Satyr Island mobs...heck even one for each type of Vexator, or others for a certain quantity of a particular mob, example 10 or 20 of every type of blight in the land.

There are lots of possibilities here I think...not only a chance for quests for every level of adventurer, but a chance to have people to a bit more exploring and get unique items...attuned on reciept from quests that can't be repeated. then everyone has a chance and it's not something that can be camped.

Just an idea that popped in my head, which obviously still needs soem refinement, but could definately generate some activitiy and interest among both old and new players.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Default Re: Named Mob Quest(s)

Reminds me of the thropy collecting in everquest 2, I was such addicted.. lol love the idea!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

One of the biggest things in City of Heroes / Villains are the "titles" you can earn for accomplishments. I see 100+ level characters completing low level quests so they can have the emblem... (Slayer of Chickens anyone?)

It is so popular an idea that WoW is now incorporating it in their newest expansion pack.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

We discussed this type of thing about 3 1/2 years ago. There were two ways of going about it:

1. New tech that tracked your kills and rewarded you when you reached certain milestones. This is how EQ2 does it.

2. A quest that you have that tracks your kills of a certain type. This is how LOTRO does it (except that you get the quest automatically).

In Istaria/HZ, the downside without new tech is that you'd have to know to get the quest first before you could get credit for the kill. Which is kind of unfortunate if you happened to have just killed the guy. Say you were out wandering the beaches south of Kion and killed Gritus Gigantous. Then you headed back to town and were given a quest to kill "Gritus Gigantous". You'd probably say outloud "hey, I just killed him! Why didn't it know?".

Kind of a tough trade-off I'm afraid.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I like number 2 myself Amon, sure you will have people that go "Doh, I just killed X mob and didnt know about this quest" But it would, upon learning of this type of quest, possibly prompt them to go to the various trophy hunters and find those assasin quests or x-number quests.

The "doh" scenario already happens if someone is just working exp and then find a quest that delt with the mobs they were killing.

I do... (I know people will disagree with me) Think the kill x-number of mob quest needs to be a very large number, maybe *pulls number out of mid air* 1000? I mean you dont get to be known for killing a species by killing one or 12 of them

Soraii

P.S. thought JUST occured to me of a 3rd way to track this.... with the tropy hunter quests, once you reach a certain number of quest completions for a mob type he could award you, you would however need to open the level range on handins though... maybe with no exp after the current level cap?

I like the kill 1k of so an so mob hehe it helps with grindin especially cause it gets boring an it kinda makes it a lil more fun. Plus those of us who hunt every living day have prolly killed many more than a few thousand:P But i would make this more high level and these quests perhaps go along with rating rather than level because of multiclassin?? dont want a level 15 killing sand beetles with ratin 200.. hehe
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Not just the grind... try "I need 60 of this comp for my new set of armor / scales" and basically grind the mobs for them. Not only do you get 60 comps, but a title too

I would like to see ones for killing all of the named mobs of one type of mob... like treants (Greenpiece --> Thistleface), or golems.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    Not just the grind... try "I need 60 of this comp for my new set of armor / scales" and basically grind the mobs for them. Not only do you get 60 comps, but a title too
    Aye that to:P
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Wow, what an awesome idea! I've only ever played Hz/Istaria, so don't know about other games (I like Istaria - why on earth would I try something else?

Amon - this is the way the current system works, if you don't have the quest already, you don't get credit for it. I don't think Devs need to worry about that.

Soraii - that's a cool idea, you can already see your completed quests tab to see what you've done, and the trophy hunters do know what you have completed also. Might limiit you to hunting trophy-mobs only, but it would also mean people don't just farm beetles for trophies i.e. there is a reason to hunt Treants Maybe you could get titles/emblems based on the number of mobs of a certain type you've killed? You would have to make sure that people weren't just buying trophies for the emblem though, because that would be a bit lame. Maybe the Town Marshall's should give out this quest? Or some special "Assassin's" NPC?

Chicken Chaser (actually I think that's a title in Fable, but who cares bit tough to copyrite that)
    Slayer of Chickens
    Chicken Slaughterer
    Scourge of Chickens
    Bane of Chickens
    Chicken Annihilator

Is the Emblem system easy to extend? That would be the easiest way to reward people. And imagine if there was a web page that displayed toons on each Shard and the top number of kills of that mob type... "Top Chicken Annihilator". Now *there's* a reason to wake up in the morning

Be careful what you wish for.... You think we have storage issues now with stack count on our vault, imagine what would happen if the devs added XX number of new emblems in! That's how many stack count your vault shrinks by if you are a player that either must have one of everything, can't stand to have someone else outdo you, or must have cool new item. (I'm fairly sure 90% of players could be put into one or more of those categories.)

I love the idea of new quests like this, but rewarding attuned items should be done for the minimal things possible and very special events.

Amon - this is the way the current system works, if you don't have the quest already, you don't get credit for it. I don't think Devs need to worry about that.
    Seconded. If I have to go kill a named beetle twice, how is that different from any other quest in the game? Why worry about it now?

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post

I would like to see ones for killing all of the named mobs of one type of mob... like treants (Greenpiece --> Thistleface), or golems.

oooooo me likey!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Wonder if that could be something people could build on their plot? An "Emblem Wall" or something, and you just add your emblem stack to that...

Thread Information