Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wassup?

Default Wassup?

The boards are loaded with posts about the relative lack of players online, death of guilds, empty guild and community plots, lack of ingame quest support for mature (i.e. 'accomplished' mid to high level) players.

I've only been back a little over 3 months, and the current devs probably not much longer than that. Have Patience! It's been the mantra since before the server merger way back in '04. Waiting, at $30/month (for two accounts), is not a bad thing provided there is a tangible agenda. That's what's missing.

I'd like to know -exactly- what's on the drawing board. What are the devs adding now? What are they considering in the near term? I have ZERO confidence that anything shared re: the long term would be worth much. So, to keep current subscribers hanging on, and move them to recruitment mode, wassup?

What's the likelihood of having something cool and tangible to play with in November? December? 1st quarter 2009? A previous owner of the game went into maintenance mode with regard to keeping the game running, and into vapor mode with regard to customer service and development. So I left. What now?

So much of the current conversation is about trivial matters (my conversation included). Should I spend another $180 to see what happens by April? I love Horizons, but like any relationship it can get old without something to 'spice it up'. Plot reclaimation has taken longer than anticipated (again), and the auctions haven't happened yet.

Fixing major bugs I can understand. There going to be a major advertising blitz to actually sell new copies of the game? Horizons has NEVER been marketed well since it's original release.

Let's cut to the chase? What's the timeline on lifting the level cap, and getting Tier 6 adventure and craft? Beginner covers T1 & T2, levels 1-39. Journeyman covers T3 & T4, levels 40-79. Expert only covers T5, levels 80-100? So in came Master Forms to allow processing of T6. Shouldn't Expert have covered levels 80-119, with level 120 actually being Master?!?

I don't get the 'accomodations' that have been made to make the game passably functional, and here over 4-1/2 years later, the game still isn't complete (as originally envisioned). Along the way, Dragons got a buttload of love. Inasmuch as they're only one RACE among many, the whole dragon emphasis was out of balance by design due to it's drawing power as the only game to have such a thing. So then, the various other races all lumped under 'Biped' offer only cosmetic variation. Racial abilities are virtually non-existant. Saris sprint. Human Magic Expertise, or whatever the blazes it is. Bleh.

At this stage, the whole experiment with Primary XP (confectioner and dragon laircrafting) is trying to put Pandora back in the box.

Say, where exactly ARE Prospecting, Dowsing, and Brewing anyway?!? Those should have been completed long ago, and there are several lovely ways each of these skills could make a meaningful contribution in Istaria RIGHT NOW.

Well... I'll stop there. My original question was a plea for clear, concise, cogent INFO.

Wassup?
    100 Reaver, Druid, Spiritist, Mage, 96 Healer, 98 Shaman, 67 Ranger, 40 Conjurer, 30 Monk, and 20 Scout & Cleric. Grandmaster Crafter, Chaos.

Default Re: Wassup?

The majority of the staff has been with Virtrium for over a year now.

The major project being worked on is the Blighted Labyrinth.

It's Virtrium's policy not to announce an agenda, so I can't address any of the items you asked about. However, I think that an examination of what Virtrium has rolled out over the past year will show ample evidence that the game is no longer in maintenance mode.

The game is being worked on, content is being added, and the number of people working on it continues to grow. That may not be an answer to your question, but I hope it tells you what you wanted to know.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Plot Reclamations
    Blighted Labrynth
    Tier 2 Revamp
    (maybe an seasonal even thrown in there)

Although they aren't going to say, I wouldn't expect T6 until T2-T5 have been revamped.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

I do not think there will ever be a T6 level created my self. I would rather see Horizons 2 more then T6 added.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Actually, Virtrium has been around now over a year and things have been going well. Granted, we're not talking sweeping changes, new races, entire new lands, and a raised level cap, but plenty has gone on. For example:

Billing is fixed.
    Support tickets are given more than a cursory dump into File 13.
    Gnomekindle.
    Petting Zoo.
    New world projects have been added.
    Plot reclamation script has actually been implemented again (the last time was in early 2006).
    New cargo disks (Knut's line and the new dragon line).
    Plot resizing (something seriously needed since merger, 2004) is underway.
    New name.
    New game logo.
    Customizable merchandising with cafepress.

I'd say they've been very busy from the moment they gained control.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    Actually, Virtrium has been around now over a year and things have been going well. Granted, we're not talking sweeping changes, new races, entire new lands, and a raised level cap, but plenty has gone on. For example:

Billing is fixed.
    Gnomekindle.
    Petting Zoo.
    Plot reclamation script has actually been implemented again (the last time was in early 2006).
    New name.
    New game logo.

At no point was I insinuating that they hadn't been busy. For a year you say? Of the things you listed, I'd say fixing the billing was the big one. That at least allows folks the freedom to come and go as they choose without fear of being ripped off.

Gnomekindle I'm not familiar with.

Petting Zoo - what was the point of that? Eyecandy? If there is some needed rare formula or ability that can be earned that would benefit me, please share the spoiler.

New World Projects - name one that has a significant impact on the community at large, as a giant cooperative effort, like the original bridge to Wisp Isle, or the opening of the Satyr Isles.

Plots, reclamation and resizing. Fixing what was horribly designed in the beginning. Will this breathe new life into the game? I'm sure we all hope so... again, I'd like to know the answer to my question about marketting the game. Perhaps it WILL help some folks who have two or more subscriptions just to own adequate plot space reduce the number of their subscriptions, cutting into Virtrium's profit margin. The jury is out on whether this is an intelligent use of development time and resources.

New Cargo Disks. The dragon version is probably helpful. My one dragon char still uses the original, or biped versions. Knut's Disk? Eyecandy. I'd never use one for practical reasons except simply to have a colored disk.

New Name and Logo. </sarcasm on> Woot. </sarcasm off> That's corporate identity and does ZILCH for our appreciation of Horizons, er.. sorry, Istaria, other than a warm feeling that the game is no longer in the previous owners' hands.

Customizable Logo Merchandise. Like Amway, or some College Football crowd. So I wear a Horizons T-shirt around the neighborhood. Rewarding to my psyche, perhaps, but meaningless to the general public who don't know to whom it is we're giving free advertising, nor do they give a whoop-dee-doo. "Oh... a 5-year old mmorpg? UO? WoW? EQ? Asheron's Call??? oO. What?"

Look, the current devs are great. Amon, Lady V, Otter... I have nothing but the highest regard for you guys. Kinda like playing for the Royals this year. Hard-working and pleasant and helpful bunch, by and large. And I know that something substantive doesn't come easily nor quickly. But I, for one, do NOT want Eye-Candy, Window-Dressing, nor Band-Aids.

All I'm asking for is the assurance that something that will seriously change or enhance game play is in the works. Not some contrived seasonal event designed to help me part with my thousands of Imperial whatever the heck those things are..

Too much time is spent trying to do detail work on a rusted out Buick. Wish I had some EoBs to make Ambrosia with. Would be nice to have the old Imperial Parcel quests.. I've got a nice form for those. Wish some mobs would drop Chroma so I could make Tool/Weapon Dye Kits. Etc.

Oh, never mind.. I'll drag my Knut's Disk out to the Petting Zoo and feed the cow.

<I really never INTENDED for this to turn into a rant. Sorry. Raising what I think is a legitimate issue brings the Rabid Defenders of Istaria out swinging. How much there is left to defend is still open to question.>
    100 Reaver, Druid, Spiritist, Mage, 96 Healer, 98 Shaman, 67 Ranger, 40 Conjurer, 30 Monk, and 20 Scout & Cleric. Grandmaster Crafter, Chaos.

You forgot that VI rescued the poor Unity People from the darkness!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Weston View Post
    Wish I had some EoBs to make Ambrosia with. Would be nice to have the old Imperial Parcel quests.. I've got a nice form for those. Wish some mobs would drop Chroma so I could make Tool/Weapon Dye Kits. Etc.
    You can get 2/3 of those if you look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    You can get 2/3 of those if you look around.
    Do EoBs drop off ANY blighted resource, e.g. the blighted Topaz out near Kirasanct? At one time, only certain nodes in the Crater near Tazoon did.

Last I heard, chroma were only dropped by Abominations or some such. They used to drop off Purple Flies, but it was my understanding those loot tables had changed. My guild, to which I have long been loyal, has dwindled to the point where teaming to farm a particular drop is nigh impossible. I've asked repeatedly, and find noone who'll sell the blasted things on Chaos.

If you have personal insight into these two matters that would be of benefit in my ...ah, research... then please PM me, or post here. Either way, I'd be appreciative.

And for the record, I should have omitted reference to these anyway, to narrow the focus of my prior comments. In my old age, I find that occasional senility has crept in when I wasn't looking. ;p

All I'm asking for is the assurance that something that will seriously change or enhance game play is in the works. Not some contrived seasonal event designed to help me part with my thousands of Imperial whatever the heck those things are..
    The big thing they are working on right now, which if I understand and remember right, that could be called T6 content as they want it to be for higher level people and to require groups to fully explore is the Blighted Labyrinth. They are taking what was done way back when for T1 players and redoing/working it for the T5 crowd.

This is taking so long, my belief anyway, is that the devs that have returned do not have all the skill sets of all the old devs. Some areas that have over the last year learn or teach themselves. Such as world building, my understanding is DB use to be the world building god and would sit down and crank out a new land mass in no area, but the current devs had to learn the system and practice with it and maybe now are only approching his skill level with the tool.

As to your other points yes some of the stuff added was only fluff, You do not like fluff? I can live with that others have enjoyed the fuff. Would I like to see more crunch yes, but that has been some crunch added as well. New spells for Dragons and Bipeds. New lair rooms and fluff items in the works, new crunch that I can not speak off but players have talked about on the forums here requesting.

Me I have always had patiance and give a small dev team that is "new" to a project time. To me we are back in beta with what will turn out to be a "new" game and I hope it makes it.

Last I heard, chroma were only dropped by Abominations or some such. They used to drop off Purple Flies, but it was my understanding those loot tables had changed. My guild, to which I have long been loyal, has dwindled to the point where teaming to farm a particular drop is nigh impossible. I've asked repeatedly, and find noone who'll sell the blasted things on Chaos.
    Chromas do still drop from various T6 mobs.
    I've never seen you ask on Chaos or I would have responded.
    For a while, there were quite a few Weapon/Tool dye kits on Brist connie for 50s to 100s.

I personally have 5 chromas on my character at this time and about 30+ Weapon/Tool dye kits in the vault. Are you looking for any particular color?
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard

*sigh* I think I`m unacceptable modest.

I sit here, in my nice pink hatchieshirt, saved from the maximum credible accident of Unity, love to work on our lair, care for the projects I started with on order, plan to buy a plot too, welcome old or new players who seem to land between my claws, when they first arrive, read forum if there is time, and still have not all things done, that I could have, concerning, that I`m here for more than 4 and a half years. I only complain about, that I do not have more time to play (though newly we play until 2 in the night, to meet our friends from other times zones too).

Not that I do not understand what you mean, Wes- but how about make your own events or projects, until the official ones are ready?
    From a passive to a more active mode-if only for a short time.
    There are so many possibilities in my eyes. I wished I had time for that.

And btw- thank you for your work for the game on this forum.
    It was very helpful!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

The replies to my hysterical pleas have been respectful, gentle, and compelling. ;p I hereby renounce hysteria. And I received Amarie's Developer's Desk in my email a few minutes ago. Had I read that before, I would likely not have posted this expression of concern at all. As a result, I also hereby offer my apologies to the current devs and their surrogates... it appears that you've been working to allay our fears after all.

I really didn't know what the Blighted Labyrinth was. That prospect alone moves me to tears. For the first two years of the game, I was one of the voices clamoring for dungeons, and looky here... about to see the light of day (or the darkness of the depths... whatever).

The Bitter Pickle changes, whatever they are sound interesting.

[Ah, Galem.. cool. Got a Jasper chroma or Kit?]

Amarie? Feel free to lock this thread or move it to rants. I'm done for now. Best wishes and Happy Hunting to y'all.

Weston, I think I have one Jasper kit.
    Contact me ingame some time, same name as here (Galem Thawn).

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Not that I do not understand what you mean, Wes- but how about make your own events or projects, until the official ones are ready?
    On Order we have storytime every Sat night (I think... It's whatever Sun morning translates to >.<) in NT. Nice to have old and new players take a break from the busy and sit around and tell stories of journeys past.
    Last edited by Shian; October 3rd, 2008 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post

Billing is fixed.
    Gnomekindle.
    Petting Zoo.
    New name.
    New game logo.

I might have missed something, but I haven't seen any references to confectioner and death point overhauls. Not a minor thing. Plus quest additions, and a LOT of general cleanup.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Kulamata, you're quite right. I'd missed another entire TON of other things done. Unity characters transferred to the live shards, the confectioner revamp and DP revamp to make confectioner as a class much more useful than ambrosia, the Hammer's Rest event, and the overwhelming mountain of fixes, patches, etc. that improve gameplay as a whole. And now the announcement of the blighted labyrinth (a project first under development during the Tulga era and shown to many of the players during the final days of Tulga Games).

Now to answer some of Weston's questions.

Gnomekindle was the winter event last year. (new NPCs AND new quests)

The petting zoo was part of the summer event this year. (new NPCs and new items)

The projects in Bristugo, while not being as grand or challenging as the outposts or cenotaphs, are still good for brining the community together.

The plots needed the resizing effort going in now because of their lack of usefulness from very small sizes. This change affects future players the most, giving them better opportunities to shape Istaria for their own good. As for reducing the number of subscriptions, I don't see that making the smaller (mostly unowned) plots bigger would reduce the subscriptions, rather give more people an incentive to want to have more plots to do more.

New logo and name change do a lot more than you think. It ties the game (Horizons: Empire of Istaria) to the website (istaria.com). Some people tried to find the game under horizons.com and found it to be, well, not here.

Customizable merchandising is one way of advertising. It's also a revenue unrelated to subscriptions for the company. This means resources for more staff. More staff means more development and programming. For a small game, this is a win-win situation.

And as for a rant or locking this thread, I vote no. I think it should serve as a reminder to others out there that Virtrium has done this past year. It's a good thing to remember what's gone on from time to time so we as players don't get complacent into believing this game is stagnating.
    Last edited by C`gan; October 3rd, 2008 at 12:49 PM.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

If I remember correctly, the devs have also been more diligent on invasion events. Blight Anchors have popped up more often, and when one set of the world project sets was finished (some magic artifacts, if I remember right), suddenly a huge invasion started!

They are little things, but they make the game more exciting. I've only been playing since January, so I can't vouch for the past, but there's been a lot going on. More than in previous MMO's I played. (Like Ragnarok Online where it took years to release the second tier of jobs, and even longer to release the alternate second tier... they STILL haven't released the true third tier either.)

*OW!* <smack> OOOF! <bite> Yikes. </tries to run...>

Heh, I love engendering a lively discussion. Mind if I watch from... waaaaaaaaayyyyy.. over there -----> ?

I see Deth mentioned in my Snakes thread that I'd gotten my wish re: poison. That's too cool. Poison, and (I hope) the commensurate Antidotes, et. al. Still lobbying for snakes as mobs of course. But I'll give em a few more weeks on that one.

Well, back to Istaria with me. Done 'nuff damage here.

Weston the Recalcitrant Pilgrim.

*Emissary Hat on*

Yes there will be antidote potions and spells, including for dragons. I have seen the list of ideas for they types and all I can say if thank the gods there are antidotes.

*Emissary Hat off*

Thread Information