Thread: Database Reset after Maintenance?

Default Database Reset after Maintenance?

My plot has an inordinant number of storage units thanks to my crafting fetish. Over 50 silos and storehouses, a guildhouse, three houses of various size, a library, and a couple of tents.

During the course of a week, I might access half of those.. sometimes more, sometimes less, but I'm always accessing something. After an update or maintenance, SOMETHING has been reset in the data base that forces me to wait, and wait, whenever any such structure is again accessed for the first time. After that first access, all subsequent access is very quick. I'd guess that all structures are in some massive database where they're numbered from 1 to 999,999 or some such, and when I access my silo which is their number 814,266, it goes into a buffer or 'current' database which allows it to access quicker the next time, since it doesn't have to search through that massive list and reload all the relevant info. Once it's in their temporary buffer (or where ever it is...), all is right with the world.

My question is: Why is it that current users and recently accessed structures aren't kept in some sort of permanent 'first-in, last-out' arrangement. If Joe Schmo has a structure that either he never activates, or is on an inactive account, why isn't the permanent list arranged by activity level, rather than ( I suspect ) by creation order??

If I'm way off base with my reasoning, then I'd enjoy being enlightened.

Thanks.

Weston of Chaos
    Last edited by Velea; September 19th, 2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Profanity is not allowed on these forums in any form
    100 Reaver, Druid, Spiritist, Mage, 96 Healer, 98 Shaman, 67 Ranger, 40 Conjurer, 30 Monk, and 20 Scout & Cleric. Grandmaster Crafter, Chaos.

Default Re: Database Reset after Maintenance?

well, basically when they do maintenance, they re-index the databases. This remakes the databases and reorders the data by their key field (The biote) . now, when you access the first time, the info becomes memory resident, and probably in a cache file on the server.

Maintenance basically commits all changes to disk, then re-indexes the database and probably drops any cache it has. I would maybe assume they are rebooting the servers possibly.

Thread Information