Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista

Default Re: Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Raisty View Post
    Yeah but some of us with our newer computers actually run better on vista.
    Yes... this is true. Especially for Laptops. Despite excellent driver support from Toshiba, there are not drivers for everything in my laptop. While I have a usable system, I have some devices listed as not having drivers installed and there are none available to install.

The vast majority of pc's shipping with a Microsoft OS are shipping with Vista. To retrofit them with Xp isn't as easy as it sounds if you are not savvy with doing such things. Plus if you replace, rather than dual boot, your Vista with Xp then you're dooming yourself to another pc os overhaul at a later stage. There are Vista-only games already, and more are coming.

I hate switching os's to play a game. Since I only (*only* lol) have 2gb of ram, there is a performance (due to lack of memory) difference between Vista and Xp for me so generally I play games in Xp. The only exception was Lotro, which I trialed in Vista as it supported Dx10.

After the upcoming Blighted Labyrinth, I sincerely hope that the next task on the list is the Vista fix. I'm sure that it's a relatively simple problem that causes a pretty fatal error. The game worked on the release version of Vista, even without touching any DEP/User/Permissions options anywhere. A new library file was then patched in via MS Update, and Horizons is not compatible with it.

I'm half-wondering whether the staff that coded that particular bit of the exe are still working in Vitrium, and if not is it well documented?

Rakku

I am waiting until Horizons if Vista compatible before I bother to try again.

For those who keep saying Vista has problems - it is way better than XP ever was - you obviously haven't actually used Vista lately if you continue to hold such an antiquated opinion.

Since I work from home using my PC(s) I need the latest OS.

I did love Horizons back in the day - and I will play again once I read the annoucement that the game now works with Vista

Quote Originally Posted by walkertn View Post
    For those who keep saying Vista has problems - it is way better than XP ever was - you obviously haven't actually used Vista lately if you continue to hold such an antiquated opinion.
    Been using it for 1 year - still find it horribly ressource hogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    Been using it for 1 year - still find it horribly ressource hogging.
    Crashes, lockups, etc - simply don't happen with Vista. With XP I constantly had issues. On the other hand - my main PC is a Quad-Core rig with 8GB of Ram - so I wouldn't notice resource issues anyway.

The only program I have had compatibillity issues with since installing Vista is Horizons.

One other thought - if I was on the development team of Istaria - I wouldn't just make the game Vista compatible. I would re-work it slightly, and re-launch the game. Horizons was a game that had so much potential. Most of that potential was never realized because of bankruptcies/change-overs/etc.

Crashes, lockups, etc - simply don't happen with Vista. With XP I constantly had issues. On the other hand - my main PC is a Quad-Core rig with 8GB of Ram - so I wouldn't notice resource issues anyway.
    Sadly I can't afford that. My comp was designed for xp but had Vista installed against my will. I removed it as soon as I could, installed xp and never experienced the issues you had. But I agree that Vista was very stable.

This is what annoys me. Sorry walkertn, but you must realise that Vista seems to be problematic with systems of a more normal spec. The higher the spec (and more resources available), the less problems seem to be noticable. That's an OS issue for sure. I am with you though that the way Vista actually works is actually pretty good, and for me most stuff works well and I only ever recall one blue screen in almost a year.

I hope a Vista fix is on the way.

Rakku

Crashes, lockups, etc - simply don't happen with Vista. With XP I constantly had issues.
    And yet, having used XP for many years across three different computer systems, I have had issues with crashing/lock ups perhaps less than 5 times, and then only when I was doing something very taxing to the computers resources. I use XP pro as I run a home business, though.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Vista hasn't caused me any issues at all, well cept running this fine game. Currently I have my computer dual-booted just so I can play. I will be quite honest, if it was any other game, I doubt I would of went through the trouble and hassle to do it, but I do enjoy horizons enough to put the extra effort forward.

All that aside, we do need a vista compatible client. The few times I had it working on vista, it sure seemed like it was running a little bit quicker. Shorter load times, and the memory leak that bothers me in XP didn't seem to be there, and if it still was, it was minor compared to xp.

I know alot of folks believe Vista is horrible, is a hog and all that, but all I can say is that back 7 years ago, xp was a hog compared to 98. People had so many issues with XP back then, and I often wonder if anyone remembers those issues.

My hardware is vista supported, and it performs really well. I suppose it is just a matter of what is inside your computer as to how well or bad it will run for you. If your computer is a few years old, then more then likely it isn't going to do the best, nor is vista going to be able to perform well. Just like with xp, if you didn't update your hardware eventually from 98, xp wasn't going to do anything either.

The problem is not with Vista, it is with Horizons. The only game that I know that has problems with Vista is Horizons, and I've personally installed and ran nearly 100 games on my Vista 64 machine, some from the early 1990s require DOSBox. And I have on good authority from a friend who's installed nearly 415 games and had them all work.

When Horizons is fixed to run on Vista, I'll consider resubbing. I'll give kudos to the developers for reviving the game, but fixing this issues should be at the top of their priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
    The problem is not with Vista, it is with Horizons. The only game that I know that has problems with Vista is Horizons, and I've personally installed and ran nearly 100 games on my Vista 64 machine, some from the early 1990s require DOSBox. And I have on good authority from a friend who's installed nearly 415 games and had them all work.

When Horizons is fixed to run on Vista, I'll consider resubbing. I'll give kudos to the developers for reviving the game, but fixing this issues should be at the top of their priority list.
    Well, you're lucky then. You must have gotten just the right combination of video card type/memory type/processor batch, etc..

I have issues with EVERY game I install on Vista64, even more recent titles like Crysis: Warhead.. there are flashes and glitches in the textures on almost everything I play EXCEPT Horizons.. if that makes sense.

If you have a secret, please share because I'd love to be able to get my games to work properly on a quad extreme without texture corruption.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    Well, you're lucky then. You must have gotten just the right combination of video card type/memory type/processor batch, etc..

I have issues with EVERY game I install on Vista64, even more recent titles like Crysis: Warhead.. there are flashes and glitches in the textures on almost everything I play EXCEPT Horizons.. if that makes sense.

If you have a secret, please share because I'd love to be able to get my games to work properly on a quad extreme without texture corruption.
    Those kinds of game issues could be an overheating video card, or weak power supply powering the video card (more likely if its a high end video card). Or your card could simply be defective.

Try taking the side of the case off for better cooling, and try some of those other games and see if the problem is improved or fixed. If so add better cooling or get a new case with better cooling. If not you might try a new PSU (750 watt minimum). First what is the watt rating on the psu you have now and what video card do you have?

It's a brand new system, core 2 Quad extreme 3.2 with 9600 GT and 8gb RAM. Not a powerhouse, but it's definitely faster than what I"m used to.

Not all games glitch out on the graphics. Just the ones I've tried so far that aren't horizons.. and since that's my primary game, I don't really take too many liberties on trying to change anything. My guess is that it's a problem with the drivers conflicting somewhere. But I've tried updating them to no avail. Plus there's the possible corruption issue, but that's not factoring in if horizons works. Unless it uses a different version of DX than everything else.

Btw, the people working on the Labyrinth aren't the people working on code.

Horizons runs fine for me on Vista. Though I couldn't say why as I never did anything but patch everything up and turn off UAC.

Modern video cards, including the 9600, can cause severe overheating. I have a Radeon 4850 and it shipped with the default fan speed at 10%. It overheated a lot playing Lotro, King's Bounty, and other games. I bumped the speed to 40% and have never had another issue.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Interesting! I'll have to do some research on how to increase the fan speed.. was that the one on the card, or the case? Or both?

The card. For the Radeon 4850 it involved creating a new graphics profile and altering the XML value for the fan speed. If you have a 4000 series Radeon I don't recommend above 45% as the fan gets REALLY loud. At 10% my video card ran at 80C while idling, at 40% it runs at 45C idling.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I have 5 systems running all the time and a large set of outtake fans in the room for the heat.. an additional 5c wont' hurt much. hehe.

Blog Entries

Vista seems to be an ok OS, my sister has it on her Dell, while I have XP on my Dell Precision M6300 Moble Workstation laptop/computer.

Honestly.. I don't see the difference, even on my desktop which is slower then heck then my laptop.
    But, in order for me to see the Blue Screen of death, i have to go back to when our hard drive crashed on XP-- and all the way back to windows 3.1/Dos which I ran since I was.. 16.. and had 98 from 16-18, then at 18 till now(which I am 21) XP.

So really, I never had any problems with XP, ever. Been a flawless OS for me.
    However for my sister, she had it Blue Screen her load of times back on her old laptop that had XP.

So I guess it all balls down to what your doing and what you use it for.
    I just can't switch to Vista because most of the programs I run wont support Vista.
    I also do graphic novels and use some heavy duty programs, so the last thing I want is a OS that demands more then the programs do. XD
    Photoshop can already be a resource hog along with Macromedia Flash. >.>

However, I must admit, it is interesting to read all these pros and cons on both ends, hehe.

PS: Though I still love DOS more so then Windows. XD

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    YIKES! ! !

Boils! ! !
    Boils down.

It boils down to what your doing....
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GalemThawn View Post
    YIKES! ! !

Boils! ! !
    Boils down.

It boils down to what your doing....
    lol
    I actually do say balls down, but some say boils down. I guess I blame my Texan heritage.
    At least I don't say its a Fur Piece for long distance. XD

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    Vista seems to be an ok OS, my sister has it on her Dell, while I have XP on my Dell Precision M6300 Moble Workstation laptop/computer.

Honestly.. I don't see the difference, even on my desktop which is slower then heck then my laptop.
    But, in order for me to see the Blue Screen of death, i have to go back to when our hard drive crashed on XP-- and all the way back to windows 3.1/Dos which I ran since I was.. 16.. and had 98 from 16-18, then at 18 till now(which I am 21) XP.

So really, I never had any problems with XP, ever. Been a flawless OS for me.
    However for my sister, she had it Blue Screen her load of times back on her old laptop that had XP.

I just can't switch to Vista because most of the programs I run wont support Vista.
    I also do graphic novels and use some heavy duty programs, so the last thing I want is a OS that demands more then the programs do. XD
    Photoshop can already be a resource hog along with Macromedia Flash. >.>

However, I must admit, it is interesting to read all these pros and cons on both ends, hehe.

PS: Though I still love DOS more so then Windows. XD

Yep, good old DOS. One of the few OS's that had hardware come out that fit it fully within it's own time.

Thread Information