Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista

Default Re: Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    It's a brand new system, core 2 Quad extreme 3.2 with 9600 GT and 8gb RAM. Not a powerhouse, but it's definitely faster than what I"m used to.

Not all games glitch out on the graphics. Just the ones I've tried so far that aren't horizons.. and since that's my primary game, I don't really take too many liberties on trying to change anything. My guess is that it's a problem with the drivers conflicting somewhere. But I've tried updating them to no avail. Plus there's the possible corruption issue, but that's not factoring in if horizons works. Unless it uses a different version of DX than everything else.
    Whats the power supply in this pc? brand name, model number, and watt rating. should be a big sticker on it someplace.

Quad core cpu means it will need to be a respectable psu. if you install nvidia's Ntune utility, you can view your video cards GPU temperature. Leave the sensor running, then launch and run a game that causes the issues with graphics, until you see the problem. then exit out the game and check the graph to see what the temperature hit. anything over 75C really is pushing it, even tho those cards are supposed to be able to run at 105C with no problems. Better case ventilation, possibly a better PSU, or replacement video card if that one is defective. One of these will be the solution. Overheating is my first suspect, followed by inadequate PSU.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm at work right now though, I'll have to check when I get home this evening.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    ... all the way back to windows 3.1/Dos which I ran since I was.. 16.. and had 98 from 16-18, then at 18 till now(which I am 21) XP .....

...... PS: Though I still love DOS more so then Windows. XD
    Let me see if I understand this timeline correctly. Based on you what you say about OS's and your age you were running Win 3.1 under DOS up until 2003, Windows 98 from 2003 until 2005 and Windows XP starting in 2005 until the present.

???? - 2003 Win 3.1
    2003 - 2005 Win 98
    2005 - 2008 Win XP

It seems either you are nostalgic for older OS's or reluctant to make change. It's easy to see why you skipped right over Windows 95. Then again I was reluctant to put this new thing called Windows on my DOS 6.22 OS since it improved on DOS 5 ... and I still often feel more comfortable dropping to the command prompt (formerly known as a DOS prompt) to do many things. I wouldn't worry about Vista at all if I were you. If you follow your pattern and wait around for 5 years (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) there will be no more issues with Vista. In fact it's more likely that people will be complaining about Windows 2013 (whatever codename it may be) and longing for the good ole Vista days. I envy your patience friend. I would never be able to hold out so long :-)

Dot

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skaladar View Post
    Let me see if I understand this timeline correctly. Based on you what you say about OS's and your age you were running Win 3.1 under DOS up until 2003, Windows 98 from 2003 until 2005 and Windows XP starting in 2005 until the present.

???? - 2003 Win 3.1
    2003 - 2005 Win 98
    2005 - 2008 Win XP

It seems either you are nostalgic for older OS's or reluctant to make change. It's easy to see why you skipped right over Windows 95. Then again I was reluctant to put this new thing called Windows on my DOS 6.22 OS since it improved on DOS 5 ... and I still often feel more comfortable dropping to the command prompt (formerly known as a DOS prompt) to do many things. I wouldn't worry about Vista at all if I were you. If you follow your pattern and wait around for 5 years (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) there will be no more issues with Vista. In fact it's more likely that people will be complaining about Windows 2013 (whatever codename it may be) and longing for the good ole Vista days. I envy your patience friend. I would never be able to hold out so long :-)

Dot
    Well I didn't own my own computer till like I was 19. My dad owned the PCs and thus when I wanted a windows 95, he refused and just waited it out till 98 when he was forced into it.

Then again, when I was a little girl and even before I was born, he worked for a company and he worked with the IBM 360-380 Mainframe systems.
    He was around when C actually became a code and was working with the father codes that lead to C.
    Including all the way to the fact he understood the language and kinda taught me some things. ^^;

So for me, when all the programs I have either find away to make themselves Vista able or someone finds away to work out the bugs, I'll switch to Vista then-- or maybe jump on that Windows 7.

But in the long run, I guess when you been working with older systems for a long time, you just get use to them and when your family owned the first computers that could be had in a house and you remember when DOOM was the latest shooter game(and nearly kicked PCs on graphics)...
    bottom line: I've lived around computers all my life. XD

...and you remember when DOOM was the latest shooter game(and nearly kicked PCs on graphics)...
    But, if the timeline is correct, you didn't play DOOM until 2003, only 5 years ago. Unless you were using someone elses computer. or did DOOM run on Windows 3.1?
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

you remember when DOOM was the latest shooter game(and nearly kicked PCs on graphics)
    Heheh... That makes me feel old.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Heheh... That makes me feel old.
    I remember buying Doom.. I was in Babbages (since bought out by Gamestop) buying 3 1/2 inch disks because they were on some super sale for like 50 cents each and the guy at the front counter pushed it on me. Showed me what it was like.. and I was sold. Took that sucker home and loaded it up on my 386x4 100 (turbo) and had just a blast...

SO much has changed since then.. remember when duke nukem 3-d came out and.. wow, you could JUMP and throw PIPEBOMBS! Wowie! What's this.. aiming UP thing all about? Use the MOUSE .. are you crazy? haha.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GalemThawn View Post
    But, if the timeline is correct, you didn't play DOOM until 2003, only 5 years ago. Unless you were using someone elses computer. or did DOOM run on Windows 3.1?
    I'm talking about the original DOOM. You had to load up DOS to excute the program and it came out in like.. 1991.. I think.
    I was to little to remember, just my dad played it all the time and I use to sit by his side and point at the monsters going all, "Dad look out!"

Fun times...

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    I remember buying Doom.. I was in Babbages (since bought out by Gamestop) buying 3 1/2 inch disks because they were on some super sale for like 50 cents each and the guy at the front counter pushed it on me. Showed me what it was like.. and I was sold. Took that sucker home and loaded it up on my 386x4 100 (turbo) and had just a blast...

SO much has changed since then.. remember when duke nukem 3-d came out and.. wow, you could JUMP and throw PIPEBOMBS! Wowie! What's this.. aiming UP thing all about? Use the MOUSE .. are you crazy? haha.
    Oh-- I remember playing Heretic.. which had the up and down ability.. I think Heretic came out before Duke Nukem, but I never got into the Duke Nukem series, so I'm not sure. ^^;

Pretty sure that Heretic came out before Duke Nuke'em.

I thought Wolfenstein was before Doom?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Pretty sure that Heretic came out before Duke Nuke'em.

I thought Wolfenstein was before Doom?
    Wolfenstein was before DOOM, but DOOM was the game that broke into the market and changed the face of gaming forever.

I'm talking about the original DOOM. You had to load up DOS to excute the program and it came out in like.. 1991.. I think.
    I
    Geez, my memory is very bad. I played the original Wolfenstein and Doom, my memory just refuses to believe that they ran under DOS.

My REAL first intro to computer gaming was Ultima II, which I played on the ? Atari 800 ?
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

Blog Entries

It ran under Dos, till they rebuilt it for Windows 95.
    Heretic was also Dos, and Hexen was the first one ID Software did for Windows 95, including Quake I, which could also run under DOS.
    Quake came out in 1995.

Ah DOOM. Boy does that bring back memories. I can safely say that neva knows her stuff. The original DOOM was definitely a DOS game. At the risk of dating myself, I can remember pre internet days when the common means of computer communication was via dialup modem to local bulletin boards, the predecessor to today’s web based forums. You would look for bulletin boards in your area code (to save on long distance charges) and dial into these BB's for shareware utilities, applications, games and general chatter. I also remember that when I first started doing this I was mainly looking for utilities but almost every BB I connected to had a DOOM section. I thought "my gawd these computer people are all expecting the end of the world!" It wasn't until I started to read the discussion that I realized they were talking about this 3D game that was built in the mold of Wolfenstein 3D but was much better in many ways ... Years later I remember the disappointment when it was ported to Windows 95. It just wasn't the same.

The original DOOM had multiplayer capability. All without an internet connection! You could dial into a friend’s computer who was running DOOM in the multiplayer mode and play either Deathmatch (PVP with no monster) or Cooperative (human players vs. the game monsters). Another thing that made the original DOOM widely regarded as one of the most important titles in gaming history was the introduction of PWADS or patch files that allowed you to replace or add to the original game content using an editor. Does anyone remember the BFG9000 and what its initials stand for? hehe ... I was also a big Heretic fan when Raven Software teamed up with id Software and used a modified DOOM engine. I was disappointed with Hexen and by that time there were so many DOOM clones (Duke Nuke'em, Quake etc) that choices for 1st person 3d shooters seemed endless ... However nothing will ever replace DOOM ... Thank for bringing back some good memories

Dot

With the ATI Catalyst 8.10s, you don't need to use the XML profile tweak to adjust the fan speeds. They've integrated manual fan control into the drivers.

Also, for those who have more than 4GB of RAM with Vista and have pre SP1 install media, you need to remove RAM until you are below 4GB when you install. For example, I have 2x2GB sticks at the moment. Since my Vista Business disks are pre SP1, I have to remove 1 stick of RAM when I actually install Vista. With 4GB installed, you'll experience crashes, lockups, blue screens, etc. Leave it at 2GB, run Windows Update and grab all the patches and fixes, including SP1. Then you can pop the remaining RAM back in. This was supposed be resolved with SP1, but I cannot verify myself because I don't have install media with SP1.

Lastly, if you wish a free retail copy of Vista, MS gives them out at Technet Events, in addition to other products. Check the link below for an event in your area. The only event near me is a SQL 2008 show, where they give out copies of SQL Server 2008. Cool, but not exactly what I need.

http://technetevents.com/register.aspx

The only one of those I played at the time was Wolfenstein, since they published it on the acorn risc pc that I was using at the time. I didn't have an ms type pc until 1996! *Then* I was playing catchup with Doom, Quake, then Hexen ... although the first pc game (and the game that made me finally buy a pc) was Tomb Raider.

Anyway... Mensar... good luck with the pc problems. I vote on the psu being too underated myself. When I had a similar situation with my old pc, one indication that did appear abnormal was the (normally) 12v value on the hardware monitor. It was like 10.8v since it was drawing too many amps. One psu change later, it was back to normal and no more system hangs under load.

Btw Epic Movie is just daft lol... just watching it.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    although the first pc game (and the game that made me finally buy a pc) was Tomb Raider.
    Same here I was 10 years old though XD

My first game was Pool of Radiance

Holy derail batman!!
    Fierce Wyrm, The Annatar, Order Shard
    100 Adventure, Crafter and Lairshaper/Hoard 51 mil

First game: The Bard's Tale! On Commodore 64...
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

oooo ver! - remember M.U.L.E.?

gawd i loved that game....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.L.E.
    Last edited by velveeta; October 28th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information