Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to learn dragon talk

Default trying to learn dragon talk

. i have seen some RP'ing dragon player talk in what is know as dragon . talk . i'd like to lern it my self thow i have know idia what to look for in the froms ?? or what it well b tabled? can any one point me the right way on finding this post if there is one ??
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Default Re: trying to learn dragon talk

We (Keir Chet) store the language on our website there, as Takora has linked it.

The language is no where near complete, but we try to add improtant pertaining words when someoen brings our attention to what's missing that they'd like to see.

My advice on learning it:

Make a quick one page cheat sheet of the common stuff or the phrases you'd like to get down (hello, goodbye, mother, father, dragon, hatchling, whatever). I still have mine and I've done it for years lol.

Insert one or two words at a time into your sentences, most people don't know the majority of the language anyway - so trying to make entire sentences in dragon would just confuse everyone - but peppering your statements so that people can figure out what you're saying even if htey dont know is the best way (IMO). And Also much easier to learn than trying to convert everything you can...

Find other players more into the language to speak with, even if its in private RP or private tell "practice" - to me I found the easiest way was just picking up various single words in regular conversation - seeing it used repeatedly sticks with you than just trying to "memorize" anything.

Its something to have fun with - I always do - but certianly nothing to be taken too seriously and the langauge isn't even developed enough to be able to have complete dragon-only conversations.

((However, Keir Chet dragons will tell you that it is against dragon culture preservation to share meanings with bipeds....how each dragon interprets that is up to you - I speak IC only btw, not OOC) )
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

But keep in mind some of us aiarten know what you're saying and, well, d'na be surpised if we give you some pretty good insults back if you insult us.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

heh i'm never mean to any player : ) i all was try to help if i can . thow i'm sure most of u know that my spelling isent that grat or i have days were my keyborde does like me . but any way .. i never inslat any player i treat tham all as a friend
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

An insult given in the draconic language can be assumed to be an insult between characters, not players. Roleplaying. But, then again, a lot of people on Order don't understand the difference.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

*bookmarks Tak's link* I keep losing this. Hopefully I won't, now. XD

It's fun to use the Eilert Erdoten when you can, especially when you can get past the more conventional phrases that everyone knows (can I hear a "Glit'sita nien"?). If you want to really try and learn the language, I've found it's easier to have someone else who is learning (or, preferably, already knows) the language to practice with at the same time. It also helps you stick with it; my biggest problem with the language is consistency, since I'll be into it for a week at a time and then slack off my practicing/learning of the language for a month or so.
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    An insult given in the draconic language can be assumed to be an insult between characters, not players. Roleplaying. But, then again, a lot of people on Order don't understand the difference.
    An insult is never a good idea. You can always say after the insult "I was just roleplaying". It still does lessen the insult. So just avoid insulting in the first place and all will be happier.

Yeah, but an insult isn't supposed to be good in the first place.

I don't mind if people insult my character, that's life. I've been insulted in real life. As long as they don't insult me as a player (and I don't know they insult me as a player, and as long as I can keep player and character separate), then there shouldn't be a problem.

But it's also a roleplaying game. If there's a problem with a player who's had their character insulted, and THEY'RE insulted and ticked off about it, it's time to step away from the computer and ground yourself a little. Even I've had to do this... haven't had to do it in a while, but the point is, I've had to take a step back and go "Okay, time for a break."

So I say, insult away, as long as it's between characters and not players and is within whatever roleplay lines people have set up.

Flowers and butterflies get old after awhile. IC drama makes for fun rp. If character and player are kept separate, it shouldn't be a problem. plenty, if not all of my characters have gotten burned with insults. If things are getting too personal, then the personally insulted one needs to step back, realize it IS role play, and cool off. Especially if you're on order. Why be there if you don't realize this? - of course, as previously mentioned, it continues to crop up as a problem.

Gotta love those age old debates. 8D -ceases repetitive speech-

My solution: These days I avoid roleplaying with anyone who I don't know to be 100% capable of understanding IC/OOC separation and soforth.
    xD

That said, my characters have very rarely had sufficient reason to insult anyone. Same goes for me toward other players.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

I have enough drama in my RL already, I personally don't need extra drama in the game I want to relax. That is also a reason why I cutted down my roleplay to the very minimum the past time.

Myslef I could never get the will to learn the dragon language, makes it already hard to make good english roleplay, when you need to have a dictionary open to find good phrases to use.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Myself I do not use the elder tongue to Naka nor do I reply if they try to use it. If they answer to something I said in the old tongue they will be ignored as well.

On to the hostile roleplay I would clear it through the person first with a tell so they know it is just roleplay. If it is something they would not want to do then I would just move on. That way both sides no when it is just RP and another tell can be used to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    My solution: These days I avoid roleplaying with anyone who I don't know to be 100% capable of understanding IC/OOC separation and soforth.
    xD
    Mmm, I tend to keep my rp to a minimum around people I don't know now as well. Only ever going to far as to -smile- or -chuckle-.

And the same of my dragon Deth. x3 Bipeds who speak or understand the Chet language are to be ignored.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

heehee that's the fastest way for secrets to be outed.....in rl, i speak enough spanish to follow the conversations going on around me.....have heard some very interesting things when i was ignored because i supposedly didn't understands the language.....

it is never a good idea to ignore someone with the potential of understanding you.........

but that's also why i don't play on the rp shard!! i refuse to be ignored.....

ooo i would prolly be one of those insulted, then, wouldn't i.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    heehee that's the fastest way for secrets to be outed.....in rl, i speak enough spanish to follow the conversations going on around me.....have heard some very interesting things when i was ignored because i supposedly didn't understands the language.....

it is never a good idea to ignore someone with the potential of understanding you.........

Elder and wise... were ye to walk Order's paths, then I think me it little likely ye would find turned shoulder, furled wing, closed eye or mind... and insult less likely far.

And even were it so, then methinks there would be no few that would stand to thy side in such matters. And why may I think so? For that it hath been already, and aye, more oft than once.

And that be no word of the least, the less than that... it be but the manner of Order's being .

Of course, there is but one manner of seeking the colour that Flame bears... and that be to seek it! And did ye ever seek it so, then would Order only gain from thy seeking, Blight Queen!

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post

You misunderstand. It's not rl, it's the characters.

When Keir Chet k'Eilerten introduced the language, it was meant only for dragons. Of course some others are going to learn it, it's natural. But those who were tutored under KCE still hold true to the old ways of keeping it dragon only. They don't teach it, and they don't encourage the 'lesser races' to use it. They consider it demeaning and think it taints the language.

Besides, the only time you'd be ignored by any of my characters is if you spoke one of the Chet words. :P And even then, you wouldn't be insulted. The only ones who might insult you are those who take the Lunus ideals to an extreme and generally give the rest of us a bad rep.

Anywhoot, that just goes back to what was said about keeping a role-played character and the player behind the character two separate entities.

This is also why Im a big advocate off sending ooc tells when you toss insults or do something that the other player might take offense too. A simple you know I have nothig against you in rl right? or hey can you back off a bit? can go a long ways to avoiding the unnessicary rl drama.

As I"m the one who brought it up..

Again, refering to IC (OOC the more who know the language the better lol), if a naka spoke dragon to Frith, she would not ignore the naka - rather she would be out to find out WHO taught dragon to the naka and she'd go after them. Not in any "i'm going ot kill and main" sort of way of course, but more of a "well this dragon obviously hasn't been taught the correct way of being and it is now upon me to show them the error of their ways..."

To the Naka Frith would merely tell them it might be in their best interest to no longer indicate they know, speak, or understand the langugage...she'd explain why - and also that not all dragons are initially tolerant of such disrespect.

But then, she's a logical, thoughtful, professor type like that...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    As I"m the one who brought it up..

Again, refering to IC (OOC the more who know the language the better lol), if a naka spoke dragon to Frith, she would not ignore the naka - rather she would be out to find out WHO taught dragon to the naka and she'd go after them. Not in any "i'm going ot kill and main" sort of way of course, but more of a "well this dragon obviously hasn't been taught the correct way of being and it is now upon me to show them the error of their ways..."

To the Naka Frith would merely tell them it might be in their best interest to no longer indicate they know, speak, or understand the langugage...she'd explain why - and also that not all dragons are initially tolerant of such disrespect.

But then, she's a logical, thoughtful, professor type like that...
    My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Ah, elder and wise. The mazing tongue. It has been said that it was made that draku might set confusion and mither among the two legs. Clear it is that little wit be mine, for it hath oft seemed to me that it sets more of both among the wind riders. And skill of tongue be none of mine, and that be mazed or Common both.

It seems that I also have not, as ye speak it so well, ' been taught the correct way of being'. For though it be no tongue I choose to speak, of a time, though few, I have set some not of wing and scale to the path of this mazing. Mayhap , then, I should await thy shewing of mine errors. Of course, to set error forth by mine own craft be a skill I never lost for all my... my Falling.

As to interest.... it rather seems to me that those of two legs have many such interests they consider best, and that they were crafted, however they were made, with the wit and talent to choose. Some ill, some of weal.. but choose.

And that they choose be their choosing. And that each chooses be so... And were any to find the choices of those I hold warm to be ill... why then I count me equal erring in their choices and will stand first in line for any..... cost. For such is Law and such is my choosing.

Elder, ye be land's weal and land's wit. And I be Fool and least and less.

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

Thread Information