Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange/Unusual Music you like

Default Strange/Unusual Music you like

Hadn't really seen any music discussion threads in my lurking or active days; so figured I'd toss a thread out on it to kill time. In this case, for music you listen to that would fall in the category of strange, unusual or just plain odd (IE: no mainstream or just off mainstream).

One of my personal favorites for that category is a European group by name of Arcana that does ambient Gothic music (not metal). I couldn't find a link to my favorite song by them, but here's a pretty good one by them:

God of the Winds

Off hand note: lots of people confuse them for Nox Arcana because of the name; they're two completely different groups.

Needless to say, this music serves me quite well on Halloween for freaking neighbors out.

So anyone else got some rather unusual offerings to toss out?

Default Re: Strange/Unusual Music you like

Ladytron

Not quite mainstream (At least for the US crowd). The lyrics are quite interesting on many of their songs. I love this video. It's unusual.

I really like the one CD of Voltaire I really need to get some more of his CD's.

One of the strangest groups I've ever encountered: The Mrs. Ackroyd Band

No list of odd music would be complete without Leslie Fish, the filk-singing anarchist SCA babe and all-around Star Trek geek.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

O.o; that Ladytron one was pretty interesting alright; especially the video. Now that's a new way to create mountain slopes.

Gotta love Voltaire; I've only really heard one song by him but he's on my top faves. "When you're evil" indeed. *snicker*

-Love that Leslie Fish one; didn't even know about them. XD

Found another Arcana song; but due to the video I won't post a direct link. It has some somewhat mature and potentially disturbing content to the more sensitive sorts in some of the images the maker of the video chose. Look for Arcana, Innocent Child, Pale Inner Sun on youtube if you want to see it. Be advised it is not safe for work environments. This is a more sad than eerie one.

The "When you evil" song is what got me to pick up the album with it on it and I loved the whole album.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

laurie anderson : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2MGaz_vJm8

mr heartbreak is the most informative and emotional album from the last century..........
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

"Crescent Suns" by Binah

Liked the Arcana, thanks for posting its link.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwXvy7cMfh8

Mordred's Lullaby by Heather Moore

Melanath- level 100 ADV/ 60 DCRA -
    Shas Mackard- Saris Berserker/Outfitter et al

For Lunus, for Dralk! Death before Dishonour!

The Sharkey song is oddly familiar but I can't quite place when and where I heard it. O.o;

Glad ya liked the Arcana, Xoshara. That was a pretty interesting song there by Binah; never heard their stuff before. *hms* Makes me think of a cross of Vas and Arcana.

I've never heard Tripod before; that was pretty hilarious. XD And nice to see the Midnight Syndicate's become 'official' now; last time I heard some of their stuff, they were trying to get their name out via free downloads at MP3.com. Thanks for the link to their site!

Heather Moore's got a lovely voice. *marks her down as another to look for* ^.^

-----

Kali Basa by Vas

And since I brought Vas up; a little offering from them for any who might not've tripped over them yet.

I like a lot of music and poetry by Emilie Autumn. Some of it can be a bit dark, but a lot of it is fun or notably different from mainstream sounds. She sure knows how to use that electric violin!

I have a quite varied taste in music, everything from classical through to hardcore rock. I tend to draw the line at rapping though, I prefer singing and string instruments of all types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HE9OQ4FnkQ

I've always liked the original song, but this one is much funnier...

I don't think I can link my weird music here >.> ....If anyone knows Dropkick Murphys you will know why.
    "Close your mind to stress and pain, fight till you're no longer sane. Let not one **** cur pass by, How many of them can we make die!!"
    "March of Cambreadth" by Heather Alexander
    Drakarr Lunus dragon, Chaos 100 ADV 100 DCRA 80 LSH

For a Colonial?

How about...

Ozric Tentacles?

Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Or maybe Psychostick bwahahaha
    "Close your mind to stress and pain, fight till you're no longer sane. Let not one **** cur pass by, How many of them can we make die!!"
    "March of Cambreadth" by Heather Alexander
    Drakarr Lunus dragon, Chaos 100 ADV 100 DCRA 80 LSH

'Music for 18 Musicians' by Steve Reich is a monumental, continuous, hour-long work for an unusual combination of instruments.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU23LqQ6LY4
    It sounds as if it is electronically sequenced but is actually a live performance.
    At 4:14 in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCZEckS5X94) you can see three people playing on one instrument at the same time.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

heehee i still have my ozric tentacles tshirt from their 1993 tour.......

it glows in the dark!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I always preferred Hawkwind instead of Ostrich Test... err I mean Ozric Tentacles.

Nooo!! Not another who hears it wrong?!?!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Thread Information