Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: That puppy!

Default Re: That puppy!

Okay, here's a few things that I know about how to train crazy puppies.

1. Is there corn in the dog food? Corn is like puppy rocket fuel.
    2. Take the puppy for walks, play fetch with it.. do whatever you can to help it spend it's energy.
    3. The chewing problem? Puppies teethe, just like humans. Make sure it has plenty of toys. When it chews on something its not supposed to, just give it a chew toy.
    4. Peeing on the carpet? Make sure to take it outside after it eats or drinks. Food and water seems to go right through the little guys...
    5. You don't want to teach the puppy that the crate is a bad thing! A crate should be a secure and safe place for the puppy to sleep in at night or to stay in when you're away. Try getting in a crate every time you did something bad! You'd probaby whine too.
    6. When it whines, ignore it. Then give it attention only when its quiet.
    7. Make sure never to hit the puppy unless it REALLY did something bad! And NEVER!! hit it on the face! Treat it like a child... Hitting it will make it scared of people and possibly aggressive when its older.
    8. The most important rule about training puppies... you have to be patient and persistant! ALL dogs can be trained. It just depends on the owner.

I'm sorry if others already mentioned some of these techniques, but I didn't have the time to read through everyone's posts.
    ~Proud owner of~
    ~www.istaria-club.deviantart.com ~

Quote Originally Posted by Scaleth Drakescale
    4. Peeing on the carpet? Make sure to take it outside after it eats or drinks. Food and water seems to go right through the little guys...
    To expand on this a tiny bit, be sure to reward her for peeing outside with praise and/or a treat. And refrain from using pee pads, they'll just confuse the dog.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Actually, he doesn't seem to have a runny nose, or runny eyes, and doesn't really wheeze when he breathes. He eats and drinks, and is very, er, thorough, in his litter box.

I also don't let him eat anything he's not supposed to, so food is never kept open in the kitchen and trash is taken out frequently. I've finally managed to get my roommate to quit leaving her own food around, cause he tried to tear open a bag of jerky the other week. (Thankfully, the plastic was fairly thick, and he only punctured it a couple times before giving up).

However, I think I will ask my vet about it. Maybe he's like my dad (who, once he starts, doesn't stop sneezing for a minute or so). Hopefully he's just more weird than I think he is.

Thank you!

Labs at this age are Incredibly Mischievous i know i raised a litter of 7 before
    she is right now going throw her Nawing stage hears some hints
    to get her to stop chewing up everything in sight take some choluia hot sauce and put a light coat on the object you wish her to stay away from

also
    when she is good
    Chompies bagels the chewie ones cool them to near frozen and give them as treats for when she is a good puppy

the wining part
    looks like you got a talker this shows signs of intelligence when you get a puppy this young it is imperative you set good behavior habits reinforced with Positive feed back she is craving attention because that's what labs at this stage in life do

best thing to do is to take her out for a LONG LONG walk and wile walking her teach her the basic commands Sit , heal , ect

now she will (If not all ready ) start to get her adult teeth in this can be extremely painful to the little one hears what ya do get some black velvet put a cuppel drops on your finger and rub it in to the gum's this will help to get the adult teath in and might put the littel one to bedie by

Now puppys will get dierrea some times from eating grass and what not
    how to fix this and give them a slight treat at the same time
    make the following

white rice ( help remove the bad stuff (Absorbing) )
    corn off the cob to clean out the track
    and some ground beef ( I recommend 80/20 mix or leaner )

Put this in her dry dog food

and if your one of throws owners that think i am nuts for giving my pets people food hears some experience. My father was a hippy in throws ages and lets say he made some interesting special chocolate brownies this black lab jumped up on the counter and ate the hole freaken pan so i am tolled. although the dog did not want to move for 3 days she was fine.
    Shadow lived to be 22 human years old, when ever my grandparents made something they always made her the same thing never phased her.

after raising a litter of 7 labs one being a talker they never had an issue eating meat vegies grapes (that's kinda amusing ) they think thats a treat and will like it

after all before we "Domesticated them " heck before we where walking upright do u think they went to the nearist Pet co and asked the nearest ape i want some puppy chow pleas ! the answer is no, its like Mouse >.> <.< Dinner !

if ya need some more help with the littel one let me know by pming me raising 7 lab puppys and owning a total of 10 in my life i think i can help ya

Congrats
    and labs know they do wrong and Purposely looks adorable so its hard to whack them or put them in the kennel i don't like kennels but some times they work

any way Geting pro help the dog will not respect you (Lisson Perhaps but respect not likely)

Also if they potty in the house althow grose this will not hurt the dog
    Put there nose in it then (Not full force but hafe strength ) smack there nose a cuppel of times wile saying in a firm tone the word bad and bad dog then placing them in to a room alone

Dont give up on it you need to train it and the more time you ignore it or not work with it the harder it will be to train

Send me a pic of the little one i might be abel to help out

Quote Originally Posted by Malaquion View Post
    So, the puppy we got a month or so ago is a four-month-old female Lab puppy. Intractable, mischievous, and annoying!

She *knows* when she's done something bad, and doesn't care. Instead, she tries to run away so she won't get stuffed in her crate. Despite all the methods we've used repeatedly to assert dominance, she's still rebellious and annoying. She knows we're the top dogs, she just doesn't care.

If she's not constantly paid attention to, she whines and yelps and howls and barks incessantly. She'll start whining even if someone gets up from sitting near her to move to a spot a few feet across the room...except when she's sleeping, which thankfully she does a lot of.

She's never stopped biting, and when the mood strikes, she does everything within her power to chew on the nearest human appendage. We have not been able to train her out of this, and believe me, we've tried. Even that bitter spray stuff does nothing to discourage her.

But the last straw came today. Yesterday, my grandmother worked her tail off scrubbing all the puppy piddle stains out of the carpet, and did a great job of it. The puppy had stained the carpet in at least six places. However, she had stopped piddling on it, so we thought she was toilet-trained.
    Then, today, we find out someone let the puppy wander around without a leash, and she went and peed on the freshly-cleaned carpet. In two places. And now the living room reeks AGAIN.

The puppy must go back, but my family *still* wants this disgusting little thing around.

/rantoff
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

I agree with Just about every thing you say hear how ever
    twaping it on its bum after eating your last good pair of shoes is a twap and bad dog offence

when twaping the puppy always show it what it did WRONG ! Do NOT JUST haul off and hit the littel guy that will lead to aggressiveness

but if you show it it should be fine

about the Corn being puppy Rocket fule with some labs it can be it depends i fed all my dogs natures Resipe and a littel human food after all and like i said in a nother post

befor we "Domesticated them " there was no Puppy chow there was the nearest 4 legged Rodent as a chew toy / Dinner

i have had 10 dogs total in my life
    all of witch had a Nice helping of pepole food all lived past the Norm life expectancy Labs are excpected to live from 10 - 14 years shadow lived for 22
    Misty lived to the ripe old age of 16
    now i have buddy who is prity old but still has plenty of spunk left

Chees and dairy DO NOT FEED with the exception of eggs throw are good for them althow you might want an air freshener later

Quote Originally Posted by Scaleth Drakescale View Post
    Okay, here's a few things that I know about how to train crazy puppies.

1. Is there corn in the dog food? Corn is like puppy rocket fuel.
    2. Take the puppy for walks, play fetch with it.. do whatever you can to help it spend it's energy.
    3. The chewing problem? Puppies teethe, just like humans. Make sure it has plenty of toys. When it chews on something its not supposed to, just give it a chew toy.
    5. You don't want to teach the puppy that the crate is a bad thing! A crate should be a secure and safe place for the puppy to sleep in at night or to stay in when you're away. Try getting in a crate every time you did something bad! You'd probaby whine too.
    6. When it whines, ignore it. Then give it attention only when its quiet.
    7. Make sure never to hit the puppy unless it REALLY did something bad! And NEVER!! hit it on the face! Treat it like a child... Hitting it will make it scared of people and possibly aggressive when its older.
    8. The most important rule about training puppies... you have to be patient and persistant! ALL dogs can be trained. It just depends on the owner.

I'm sorry if others already mentioned some of these techniques, but I didn't have the time to read through everyone's posts.
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Another thing I just thought of. One of my customers has a black lab adult female. Something they found out the hard way (from accidents on the floor) is that she's completely allergic to wheat and wheat byproducts. So, if housebreaking isn't going well (and things are a bit runnier and more urgent than what is expected), you might want to have your vet check the puppy for a food allergy.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post
    Also if they potty in the house althow grose this will not hurt the dog
    Put there nose in it then (Not full force but hafe strength ) smack there nose a cuppel of times wile saying in a firm tone the word bad and bad dog then placing them in to a room alone
    I'm sorry, but this is a HUGE no-no. By the time you find the pee stain, the poor dog will not know what he did wrong or why exactly you are rubbing his nose in his own urine and smacking him. My dad did this exact thing a long time ago and what did the dog do? Pee in the same exact spot, time and time again.

Smacking a dog is NOT the answer to anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw
    and if your one of throws owners that think i am nuts for giving my pets people food hears some experience. My father was a hippy in throws ages and lets say he made some interesting special chocolate brownies this black lab jumped up on the counter and ate the hole freaken pan so i am tolled. although the dog did not want to move for 3 days she was fine.
    Chocolate is poisonous to dogs (and cats). It can potentially be fatal.

Also, (not directing this at you, lightning claw, but just in general) I would advise against feeding a dog, cat, or any other pet raw or human food unless you know exactly what you're doing since the animal could miss out on important nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan
    Another thing I just thought of. One of my customers has a black lab adult female. Something they found out the hard way (from accidents on the floor) is that she's completely allergic to wheat and wheat byproducts. So, if housebreaking isn't going well (and things are a bit runnier and more urgent than what is expected), you might want to have your vet check the puppy for a food allergy.
    Yes, wheat is a common dog and cat allergen. This is an excellent guide to what to look for and what to avoid in pet food in order to keep your companion his healthiest and avoid problems like this.

100/100/90

oh i know chocolate is poisonous to most dogs but the larger ones Some times can handle it see shadow although my grandpa just about killed my dad

i rased a litter of 7 like i said Labs are extremely intelligent and i have done that with all of them if its a fresh offense with in 2 hours or immediately after you get home the dog will know it did wrong.Heck the rescue dog i got now i traind in 3 days ! and it was in the wiled abandon with its tail cut off i found it or he found me but buddy is one of a kind i trained him that way with positive enforcement and a twap on the nose every now and then for going poty in the house

when he is good
    i take him for walks now but when he was younger i es to ride my bike with him on a leash and we had a blast doing so now its just walks caus hes older but ya

when he was bad
    depending on the offence
    getting in to garbage a twap on the nose show them that the garbage can is not there food bin bad dog

potying in house i do rub there nose in it when they do it they will learn not to do that and when they ask to go out side i praise them with some people food (Bread, turkey, ect )

different styles of raising i guess

bottom line the puppy at hand hear is clearly challenging her owner to gain respect once she has wone the animals respect my experience with dogs she will lay down her life if the situation ever came up the dog will know when her master is in any danger even if she is not in plain sight

oh i know chocolate is poisonous to most dogs but the larger ones Some times can handle it see shadow although my grandpa just about killed my dad
    It's poisonous to all dogs, though the bigger the dog, the more it takes to kill him.

i rased a litter of 7 like i said Labs are extremely intelligent and i have done that with all of them if its a fresh offense with in 2 hours or immediately after you get home the dog will know it did wrong...

...when he was bad
    depending on the offence
    getting in to garbage a twap on the nose show them that the garbage can is not there food bin bad dog

potying in house i do rub there nose in it when they do it they will learn not to do that and when they ask to go out side i praise them with some people food (Bread, turkey, ect )
    I think it's been stated already in this thread, but the general rule with dogs and cats is not to punish, but reward for good behavior. No matter how intelligent a dog is, he will not know what he did to deserve his face being rubbed in his own urine. The fact you rewarded the dogs for going outside is what most likely won them over.

Praising with people food however is not such a good idea. It will ultimately lead to begging and perhaps even health problems, particularly with bread. Greenies would be a good alternative.
    Last edited by Dremora; November 3rd, 2008 at 08:58 PM.

100/100/90

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

the most punishment i use with cats is a loud and stern voice. when i was inexperienced, i admit i did try hitting....cats do not respond to physical discipline, as i discovered.

never had a dog that i tried to train, but i would not think that physical punishment (thwapping, rubbing noses, etc.) is all that effective.
    treats and affection to reward good behavior is prolly better than punishing unwanted behavior. at least that is the way with cats....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thank you all for the advice...I'll see what I can do

Quote Originally Posted by Malaquion View Post
    Thank you all for the advice...I'll see what I can do
    No problem and good luck with your puppy!

P.S - a good site to look into for more info is dogs.about.com if you haven't been there already.

100/100/90

Quote Originally Posted by Dremora View Post
    It's poisonous to all dogs, though the bigger the dog, the more it takes to kill him.
    It is well known to any breeder that dogs lack the enzyme to deal with chocolate it will sit in there stomach and can cause a hole heap of issues then it will pass just like gass and i mean that in the most literal scene if your dog accidentally gets a holed of a part of a candy bar depending on the type it can kill them or it could give them a upset stomach for a bit it varies depending on the individual animal

looks like we have come to an impasse on the rubbing the nose in it like i have stated i have had good luck with this *shrugs* different styles of teaching

an other impasse is the human food heck my aunts 2 lb toy / white rat with fir eats a tone of human food and although a little plump (cause my aunt is not active she is disabled) anibell is 100% the spoiled house pet in excellent health

Warning throw some dogs do have food allergys and human food can aggravate them that fact i am not denying i would not just go off and give your dog a hole pack of hotdogs that's inviting trubble for any living thing k9 or not.

when buddy Protected me agents a snake of venomous nature and killed it i literally walked back to my freezer garbed a rib eye started the grill put the stake on, Inspected my dog for any blood or bite marks and gave the stake to him.

I did not know if i should hug the stuffing out of the dog or tell him not to do it again to be completely honest. i do not handle venom well it would be a insta hospital trip if i was bitten .

to day bud will wonder about 5 to 10 ft infront of me to make sure its safe for me to walk there i love the littel guy, and will not stop giving him goodies.

Meat is great for there coat not soping with grease but lean ground beef or a pice of steak hear and there will not harm them what so ever.

come to think about it *ough * (sorry he ploped on me )
    he has protected me ageist scorpions as well chased the critter in to my bath room and would not let me in it .

regardless i give labs the intelligence of a 6 grader some of them perhaps even a 7 grader. when young they can be rebellious, but as they grow older you will love them for life. I know i do and will be very sad when the man up stares calls my bud home.

You'd be surprised whats real bad for dogs, type that into internet and you'll see.

I never thought any thing in a salad would be but Avocado is very bad for dogs...very
    Last edited by Jayne; November 4th, 2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    You'd be surprised whats real bad for dogs, type that into internet and you'll see.

I never thought any thing in a salad would be but Avocado is very bad for dogs...very
    Yeah. =\ In addition to your dog becoming too spoiled - leading to begging - and being overweight, that's the reason you shouldn't feed dogs human food.

For general info, among the foods not to feed a dog are:

- Alcoholic beverages
    - Avocado
    - Chocolate (all forms)
    - Coffee (all forms)
    - Fatty foods
    - Macadamia nuts
    - Moldy or spoiled foods
    - Onions, onion powder
    - Raisins and grapes
    - Salt
    - Yeast dough
    - Garlic
    - Products sweetened with xylitol

Cat food is also something you want to keep your dog away from.

This page also includes plants that are toxic to dogs.

Uhg, that reminds me. My dad knew a woman who would feed her dalmation a whole turkey every day. When said dog came up with numerous health problems, she went to the vet, but didn't listen to him when he told her to stop feeding the dog like that. Her excuse? "He likes it". Some people just should not own dogs. Or any pet.
    Last edited by Dremora; November 4th, 2008 at 01:04 PM.

100/100/90

Cat food? Dry cat food, or cat food in general?

There's this vile stuff my cats love. It's basically fish bits floating in fish gelatin. Absolutely disgusting, but they love it. Sometimes the puppy will try to eat it (we stop her, of course). That's not safe, is it?

Cat food is for cats, otherwise it would be named dog-cat food or such <_<. Don't give it your puppy, good job from keeping it away from it. A bit won't harm your puppy (when it steals some cat food when you don't look) but you should never give it your dog on purpose.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

and vice versa - back in my young days, i had lots of cats and one dog....it was impossible to keep them out of each others food......
    the vet (another one, not dr. knownothing) told me that dog food, particularly dry, was prolly responsible for my male cat's reoccuring F.U.S. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_..._tract_disease)......

dog and cat food should only be fed to the respective animals. cats and dogs have very different diet needs and never will get that from feeding the other's food.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

A little advise, when you feed your cats and they are done, put the food away or something over it eg. a bowl, that the puppy can't steal it. Normally the cat will come to you and say "Hey, put that thing off my food, I want to eat!"

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

looks like we have come to an impasse on the rubbing the nose in it like i have stated i have had good luck with this *shrugs* different styles of teaching
    Actually I have yet to see that work. Puppies are very simple creatures. If you do not catch them in the act and correct it then as to what you actually want it to do (and praise it for it), it is too late. Doing anything after the fact just confuses the dog as most dogs don't get past tense "what you did a day/hour/last week ago was wrong"

Yell at it while it's piddling on the carpet and it might just think that you do not want to see it relieve itself. Next time it will go behind the couch.

Rub thier nose in it and the puppy might think you're yelling at it because you want it to eat it. Yes, I've seen dogs with that habit due to someone trying to 'train' thier dog and the dog picked up what it thought was the right message.

Quote Originally Posted by Dremora View Post
    For general info, among the foods not to feed a dog are:

- Salt
    Actually, if your dog won't leave the toilet bowl alone, that's a good indication to put a little salt in thier water (if you don't have a water softener already tha is) or put down a seperate bowl with a little bit of salt in it.

Thread Information