Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounts, Steeds, anything?

Default Mounts, Steeds, anything?

A couple people seemed to agree on the mounts idea or some variation of transportation. I think mounts would be so fun x: And another attraction and motivation for leveling or to keep playing.

I would so love to see them implemented. Not that it's a priority, but in the future...maybe something to consider.

I got really excited And sketched out some mount ideas to kind of show what I'm suggesting. There's so much room for creativity though.

Default Re: Mounts, Steeds, anything?

Woah! Those are AWESOME! I especially love the last one... *drools*
    ~Proud owner of~
    ~www.istaria-club.deviantart.com ~

That wolfy-porcupine thing seems to fit Istaria a bit better than the others, given the amount of wolves in the game.

The bat however would be neat. I always thought it would be good to eventually provide bipeds with a means of flight (and before all you dragons jump on me, I would of course expect the playing field to be more level between dragons and bipeds before that happened, not to mention bipeds needing to do some sort of RoP-length quest for flight school or something.) Not that I ever expect bipeds to fly.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I would also imagine the flying mount would require more experience, levels, and more time to "train". Think about it; if it's really intelligent, it might decide it doesn't like you and just barrel roll you off someplace. That would suck. At least with the others, you don't have to worry about them dumping you off from more than hundreds of feet high in the air. (Might have to worry about getting eaten or stepped on or kicked, though... >.>)

Oh, but I love those pictures. Especially the canine-like and bat-like one. It would be a nice future project, since it may require new designs and animations and the like.

I love the last two.

Where would a saddle fit on the first one?

If we really want mounts, someone needs to stand up and model and animate these. I'll texture.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

those are truely awsome. Very nice job !

*jawdrop* Dude! Are you a professional concept art designer?

Awesome, all of them! I like the horsey thing! ^^

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Mounts are a funny thing! i like the idea

I have to add my bravo to the mount designs! I love them all! The bat and the horse type thing most of all. Just really cool, and I think Istaria would benefit from adding mounts to the game. I know I really hate running everywhere, and hell, if Istaria was real life or whatever, I'm pretty sure the bi peds would have wrangled up something to ride by now! Just, what about the hatchies? Do they get something to ride? Or well, I guess that's kinda a moot point, since once they RoP they can fly anywhere.

I wana ride a ruxus!!

Love those designs!

Brilliant artwork. You have a very solid grasp on anatomy! Do you have a gallery anywhere?

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

It's very nice art, but the harsh truth is that the amount of work needed to make a mount like that possible would be better used elsewhere.

Modelling the creature, texturing it, animating it, then coding the simulation to make riding an option - that's a huge amount of work. Frankly, it would be better for the game to make a new monster type rather than a mount.

Sure, mounts are visually appealing, but they really aren't needed due to the portal system and the number of speed buffs available to the players. With techs, potions, and buff spells, bipeds can more than double their standard ground speed - in fact, as I recall, some bipeds have hit 230-something while sprinting.

It's not just bipeds moving at 200-300% of base speed, either. You can go from the north end of Trandalar to the south side of Saritova island with one recall and one port - and that's assuming you aren't bound there, which is even faster. No mount would ever be able to transport you that quickly.

Let's assume that we did have the resources to add mounts and decided to do that. In order for mounts to be meaningful, we'd need to severly prune the portal system back and reduce the availability & potency of speed buffs.

Anyone think that would be a good trade?
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the explications, L.O.

They'd make good monsters...
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post

I don't .

I love the drawings and the idea of mounts in general is nice but in my opinion not fitting in Istaria. If there would be mounts than donkeys would suit the Istaria theme more than these oversized monster like creatures.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Point taken on that.

But they would still look really cool... X3

Personally, I think even basic horses would be neat, just for the sake of things. But I do like the current portal system better. XP

In all honesty I would 100% support pruning the hell out of the portal system, cutting back on speed buffs and implementing mounts, but...yeah, oh well.

Drev

Just to paraphrase...

Some people look at the future and say, "why?" I look at the future and say "why not?"

Someone has bought the company line hook, line and sinker. Why not just say "We don't have the manpower to do any of that."
    Landowyn of Order
    The Steelworks
    Specializing in a little bit of everything

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar View Post
    In all honesty I would 100% support pruning the hell out of the portal system, cutting back on speed buffs and implementing mounts, but...yeah, oh well.
    That'd benefit biped players and wing-light dragons, but what about hatchling dragons who can't get speed buffs, mounts, or fly? There's a lot of disappointed players there.
    <----clicky!

You can get your wings with 30 if you can't wait till level xyz, not much of a hassle. Being a dragon is all about patientce, if you don't have it, don't play a dragon.

I would support it if the portal system gets cut back. Then the players have to run around and see actually the world they are in, not just port, kill mob, port harvest that, port.... "Oh where is that what are you talking about" - "About 5 meters away from the portal <_<..."

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    Nope, not a good trade at all. The drawings are exquisite, but the concept of mounts in an mmorpg is mundane.

Thread Information