During a bit of RP, the amount of time one of my characters has been away came up. Someone stated that they hadn't seen her in a few years, despite the fact that this character had only been created in May, this year. I wasn't sure exactly how to respond, as my own views on the length of an Istarian year differ greatly. So, here is my view taking into account all the evidence I can find.

The length of a year on any given planet is decided not by how long the day is on a planet (and Istaria's are very short), but how long it takes for that planet to orbit its sun. The length of a day is related to how long it takes a planet to revolve around its axis. That said, it appears Istaria has very short days, but a relatively Earth-like year, with Earth-like seasons. We have a Fall and Winter festival during the corresponding Earth seasons.

Further evidence for an Earth-like year comes from the timeline:
Quote Originally Posted by Timeline

• 20 A.R. Founding of Spirit Isle (Game Release 2003!)

• 20 A.R. Satyrs are Freed

• 20 A.R. Feladan Reclaimed and Cleansed!

• 20 A.R. Release of the Dryads

• 20 A.R. Construction of the Novo Machine

• 21 A.R. The Gate of Embers is reopened. The lost art of Lairshaping is rediscovered.

• 22 A.R. A Renewed Offensive is begun by the Withered Aegis under the command of the Avatar of Horror near the Spiritous Swamp and Harro. Nielenoss the Tinkerer invents Flying Cargo Disks.

• 23 A.R. Present
That said, it can be generally assumed (at least if I am correct) that Istarians see night and day very differently than we players do because they are so short. I'm not sure exactly how long the periods of day and night are in-game, but my guess would an hour or two. Assuming two hours, that means an Istarian experiences twleve nights and days over the course of an Earth day. Maybe an Istarian clock would measure time in periods of light and dark instead of hours?

Thoughts?