Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really want to play

Default I really want to play

I wanna play soooo badly.. However i cant get the silent patcher to work. When i click run on the silent patcher on ( doesent matter if it is on website or program files) It doesnt run. Here is the error i get

Unhandled exception has occured in your application ( then it says the if you click contiune you it will ingore error but does not work)

Then it says could not find file C:\ProgramFiles(86x)\Virtrium\Launcher\SilentPatch er.exe.args

I am on vista 64 bit as you can tell from the (86x)
    Is this because of that? Anyway to get around it?

Default Re: I really want to play

Do a search in this forum on Vista.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

The sad part is, as it says on the download page, Vista is not supported.

The good news is, some people have sometimes gotten it to work.

I do not know the "official" Vista thread, but this was the first long one that popped up when I searched:

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ighlight=vista

I know there are some gems in the smaller threads, too. So it may not hurt to check them out. Just hit the "search" at the top (third link in from the right, under the top banner) then type "vista" into the little box that pops up.

But know this: You may or may not get it to work. At the moment, Vista is not supported. I would say your best bet is to dual-boot XP. But if you lack the technical expertise to do so (don't risk your whole system without at least backing up important data!), then trying some of the tricks people have used to make it work could be worth it.

Best of luck to you! Hopefully Vista will be supported in the near future, but I haven't heard anything supporting that.

i went to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en and downloaded this, it might take you a few reboots but it works for me hope this helps a little
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

see... I think the launcher works but when i go to create a character on the site.. I cant,, cause the silent patcher crashes. Maybe if i have some 1 on xp create an account for me? Could you possibly add [email protected] on msn and i can tell you my password and some 1 can make me a chracter?

Spyro, I hope you started with the trial account. I think this is maybe something you want to contact customer service about.

There are many things that go into creating your character. Istaria has MANY many character choices, far beyond the styles in WOW.

try to disable the .net patching on the login page, might get it to run, but if you're under vista, the horizons.exe will probably crash anyway :/

I want a red dragon...

Quote Originally Posted by spyrobuddy
    see... I think the launcher works but when i go to create a character on the site.. I cant,, cause the silent patcher crashes. Maybe if i have some 1 on xp create an account for me? Could you possibly add [email protected] on msn and i can tell you my password and some 1 can make me a chracter?
    Quote Originally Posted by spyrobuddy
    I want a red dragon...
    I would not trust anyone with your account. That is just asking for trouble. No matter how much you think you can trust another player, DO NOT.

Go the Ticket method. Send in a ticket on your problem.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i back up hobbie 150%!! it is very reckless to offer that info on a public forum and would not trust anyone who responded, especially if you are paying for a subscript.

if you have cashy money expended, for sure go the ticket route.......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

There's a Vista section on the support site

There are inherent problems with getting the horizons.exe to work with vista. It's actually usable with a minimal of effort, but getting the silentpatcher to run isn't one of the problems normally faced with vista. There's a possibility it could be your virus protection includes program control and you need to let silentpatcher.exe run, and it may also have some issues getting to the internet and you may have to let it run through your firewall. In either case, it shouldn't crash and cause an error report unless there are other issues at work.

If you want to PM me with some of the problems you're having I can try to help.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

vista is known to have problems with horizons...
    its not the character creation...

-download and install that program from the link before (the C++ redist upgrade from microsoft),
    -add play.istaria.com to your trusted sites in your browser,
    -turn off user-account-controll in vista,
    -change permisions on the horizons folder and subfolders/files to full administrator rights,
    -turn off DEP (data execution prevention), or add all the horizons .exe files to the DEP-savelist
    -always un-check the .NET patcher option on the website before clicking on play.

If you can not find how or where to do some of these settings use google to find out easy.

If its still not working then you are one of the unlucky that need to restart 0-7 times before the game works... (launch game - see error - restart - launch game - see error - restart - launch game - BINGO! (or somthing like that))

You actually don't have to do any of that to have it work. Just reboot. But that's when you have the issue with the horizons.exe bombing AFTER silentpatcher runs. If silentpatcher isn't running they have other issues not related to the vista ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    You actually don't have to do any of that to have it work. Just reboot. But that's when you have the issue with the horizons.exe bombing AFTER silentpatcher runs. If silentpatcher isn't running they have other issues not related to the vista ones.
    How many times are we supposed to reboot 100 200 1000 times
    Sorry to say so this Istaria dosnt run under Vista unless you are very very lucky

I have 5 systems, 3 of which have Vista 32, vista ultimate and Vista 64 and all of them run horizons just fine right out of the box after I visited windowsupdate.com to get all my patches... Just took a few reboots to get it to work then I put them in "sleep" mode. If I have to reboot them, it can take up to 12 reboots to get it to work.

OFFTOPIC:

somtimes just 0 reboots and it works...
    most of the time its like 4 or 5ish
    and right-out-of-the-box vista 32 at least really doesnt like the horizons website for a starters.. so you need to add it to the save list. etc etc etc

i dont get you mensar when you say you actually dont have to do any of those steps... also ALWAYS need to uncheck the .NET patcher (even if you got it to work every single time)

and the rights medling really worked for me (user accounts, dep, run as admin), i got it to run every single time (no reboots required) this was for about 1 or 2 monts i could enjoy playing with my laptop next to my computer. then 1 day i patched to blight on my vista laptop and it start behaving badly again. when i patched back nothing was working and i had to reinstall the game, from this time on i also have to reboot couple of times again (note that when it was working perfect it was not out-of-the-box but with sp1 and all patches applied)

ONTOPIC:

you problem might be probably browser related...
    what browser are you using spyrobuddy? (you need to use internet explorer and add 2 urls to your save list)
    or it could be the user-account thingy.. vista likes to copy alot of the files to the userdata dir (other then the real hz dir) and spontainiously starts looking only there instead of the horizons folder. this may also be why it can not find the silentpatcher.exe
    Last edited by Thangorodrim Atanatari; November 22nd, 2008 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangorodrim Atanatari View Post
    OFFTOPIC:

somtimes just 0 reboots and it works...
    most of the time its like 4 or 5ish
    and right-out-of-the-box vista 32 at least really doesnt like the horizons website for a starters.. so you need to add it to the save list. etc etc etc

i dont get you mensar when you say you actually dont have to do any of those steps... also ALWAYS need to uncheck the .NET patcher (even if you got it to work every single time)

and the rights medling really worked for me (user accounts, dep, run as admin), i got it to run every single time (no reboots required) this was for about 1 or 2 monts i could enjoy playing with my laptop next to my computer. then 1 day i patched to blight on my vista laptop and it start behaving badly again. when i patched back nothing was working and i had to reinstall the game, from this time on i also have to reboot couple of times again (note that when it was working perfect it was not out-of-the-box but with sp1 and all patches applied)

ONTOPIC:

you problem might be probably browser related...
    what browser are you using spyrobuddy? (you need to use internet explorer and add 2 urls to your save list)
    or it could be the user-account thingy.. vista likes to copy alot of the files to the userdata dir (other then the real hz dir) and spontainiously starts looking only there instead of the horizons folder. this may also be why it can not find the silentpatcher.exe
    I've never unchecked the .net patcher? Works fine. I didn't download anything, nor did I change anything. I didn't even add it to the "safe" list because I couldn't on vista 32.. it wouldn't allow me to add wildcard names for some odd reason.. I didn't pay much attention to it actually.

I cut a hole in the firewall with the "allow access" option (when it popped up) did a reboot or two and poof.. worked fine with all default settings.

And on vista 64, works fine with the .net patcher too.

The problem here is that people are making it more complicated then it has to be. You throw a rock up on the air just before a full eclipse and think you knocked the moon out of orbit. Unrelated stuff. Maybe you unchecked the .net patcher once just before you ran the game and it worked (would have worked anyway) but then you thought it was related to the .net patcher? I don't know. But I've tried this on three different systems with three different versions of vista and it works fine.

5 systems, and all with Vista? Ouch...

Just 3 with vista, the other 3 have xp still, but they're being switched over by attrition.

Thread Information