Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On courtesy... and the lack.

Default Re: On courtesy... and the lack.

Ahh, Seph, my dear friend. Your words and your way of constructing thought ARE you...and we need YOU. Let not the socially inept cause you to silence your great voice. Those of that ilk tend to come and go, never quite grasping the concept of role play and of Istaria. How sad for them.

I feel it quite worth the time to read your words with care enough to understand the message, as I do with anyone's words, and I do not find it terribly hard to do so. If that is not the case with others, then that is their loss, yet you have committed no offense...it is a role play server and you role play. The fault is on them, for being out of character in a public chat and for being rude enough to privately scold you for being IN character! Tsk, tsk.

Teto...is it true? You really will be home for gnomekindle? If so, I shall have to abandon my lairshaping on blight shard for a bit and split my time (such as it is, lately) with order shard so that I can celebrate the holidays with old friends. *Nuzzles*

It's one of the things that annoys me greatly; people have to always get their butts on their shoulders over someone playing in-character, whilst they have been naught but speaking out-of-character.

I'm no "RP Elitist", but there's a time and place for everything, and if you are playing on a RP shard, and there's other people in character around you (which is the default expectation on a RP shard; i.e., if you don't know, assume it is the case first, until you find out otherwise). Those who insist on speaking and acting out-of-character, even to the extent to deride others whom are doing so in-character need to be reported. There's no call for behavior like that.

I know that some people play on RP shards, not necessarily to RP, but to avoid what they consider are the "unwashed masses" who tend to populate non-RP shards/worlds. However, they should always respect and make an effort to participate in accordance with the purpose and intent of the shard being RP in the first place. In better words, they don't have to RP, but neither do they have to disturb/break the RP activities of their shardmates.

As many others have said here, Seph, don't ever stop being you. While I may sometimes wince at the use of in-character verbiage and mannerisms to discuss out-of-character / real life / real world subjects and circumstances, I understand it keeps you in practice. It would probably benefit my own in-character handling were I to remain so practiced, though it likely would benefit me little, since the activities of some prolong my slumber.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Well.. one thing I've noticed about you, Seph.. you're a kind hearted person.

I don't have to understand what you're saying to get that.. you have a public lair, you're nice enough to help folks out. I can appreciate all that.

Not understanding what you're saying can be frustrating.. but understand that my frustration doesn't come from you being in character.. my frustration comes from wanting to know what you're saying because there's some merit there or a point that I want to see, otherwise I wouldn't care.

Not because I just don't want to hear it at all.

Just felt the need to clarify what I said in my other post.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Mensar, the easiest thing to do is ask in the channels for a translator.

Some of us are quite fluent in Sephiranoth and Ssilmath.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

even those with foreign tongue (though not fluent^^)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

*rofl* Yes Mensar, I too usually have a lot of trouble understanding Seph - but I just pipe up and say "Wait..ok...what?" and if Seph doesn't better explain himself in his way - others will .

To me it is more the mark of a master of RP to know that never in all the years I've read Seph's language have I ever seen him speak in game OOC (and in fact on these forums only twice...rofl - and no I don't go tot he blight forums hehe).

On the point at hand - I'm with Malt/Pharcellus

Speak how you want - it is your right. If others have such a problem with it that they can't simply ignore you (which would have been my advice to anyone sharing an issue with your "rp talk" on a "OOC" issue) - but have to start whispering you telling YOU to stop - at the least, you should ignore them. At the most, report them.

You like myself sound like you don't want to report someone over such an issue like this (unless I say it continued onto harrasment and not leaving you alone) - if it was a private player channel I too would have probably just left and rolled my eyes. Anywhere else I would have just kept going - cuz all other places are public use - and they are the ones in the wrong.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
    our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
    it is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
    we ask ourselves - who am i to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
    actually, who are you not to be?
    YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD.
    your playing small doesn't save the world.
    there is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
    we were born to make manifest the glory of god that is within us.
    it is not just in some of us, it is in everyone.
    and when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
    as we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

nelson mandela - 1994 inaugural speech
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    I'm not sure I would call it effective RP since most people don't read it.
    Not saying we're all ignorant or that you're bad at what you do, but when there's no cross-flow of information, there's no communication.
    Elder and Wise....

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

It is not mine to mark ill or weal to thy words. Clear it must be that thy knowing be greater than mine, aye, and how else? For I have no manner of knowing as to who may read or hath read such poor words as I have offered in tides past or present. That ye do so know be but a mark of thy wit and knowing.

As to that content for which the words are but vessel... or the to and fro that is both discourse and converse... as each eye sees it, so let it be to that sight. That I lack skill in Common be no thing I deny. That there is merit to the seeking past my poor wit for what manner of thing might lie there.. be for each to choose as they will.

But I stray from the wind that I set blowing... and in that but compound my wit's lack .

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

Sephi don't you ever "fall to silence", for anyone, or any reason .... if some of those around you can't, or won't, "engage brain, BEFORE engaging mouth" .. that would have to be their problem ... none of yours ...

Oft times you do make my head spin ..... you challenge me/us to actually "think" ... heh .. what a concept !

As someone else has already said, you are a Master of RP, and we ... all of us ... are all the better for it !!

*flys off mumbling .. Sephi, silent, ever ? ohhh no, no, nooooo this will not do !!*

As you know Seph, I don't roleplay - or not worth mentioning anyhow. But your words are always like flowers in the istarian soil, for me... and much rather then barren fields, I will see fields filled with flowers...
    I enjoy every single communication we have... and for me it is well understandable, even if now and then one or two words might indeed put my brains into heavy excercise for a bit
    If some other(s) miss the will to let you be you, with all the words you are willing to share... then that is completely their loss, and should be of no concern to you what-so-ever, other then perhaps feeling some sadness at their loss...
    Last edited by Galilee; November 25th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.

probably the best thing for others to take away from this is ask for a translation, as was suggested above. if a person feels no one can understand sephiranoth, then clearly there are others in the same boat and it shouldn't be embarressing to ask, cos you're not alone.

that said, sephiraspeak and ssilmouth spoken here. translation services available (free).

Ah, Sephiranoth, do not let the opinions of very few affect your ways! Even if I do not respond often to your posts, I do understand and thoroughly enjoy them! Such use of the english language is rare, and a beautiful thing as well.

Hrough has rarely crossed paths in game with you, but stay as you are. I think many of us would not change you for the world.

I like reading your posts, Seph, it gets my brain some exercise. I might have to read it a couple times, but 99% of the time I can figure it out. (It might also help that my roommate is fluent in Shakespeare, and will often throw out little phrases to try to confuse me. But it works about as well as a liar's paradox, now. )

So don't be quite. In fact, speak loud (note: different from yelling) and speak often. Because I can't help but smile every time I see you speak.

Do go out of your way to be good to those among you that have gone out of their way to make your stay on Istaria more enjoyable.

“My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.�
    Sephiranoth

I am always so late to find conversations like these but, I will still offer my opinion, however it may be received.

Never, and I do mean *never*, allow anyone to tell you how to be. Your mannerisms and speech have been the same for as long as I have known you and probably long before that. You speak with wisdom, kindness, sincerity, and many other admirable qualities. In a world of roleplay, I cannot fathom how someone wouldn't be impressed by the way that you stay in character to such a degree.

Yes, you do confuse a lot of people, but that doesn't matter. If people are unable to handle the way you speak, then they simply don't have to listen. I would hate to see any part of you change in any way as a result of someone else's dissatisfaction.

You are a part of Istaria, and I am certain that I am not alone in saying that we are all proud to have you just the way you are.
    Carinde "Demigoddess" Ryder
    Citizen of Order, Axe & Anvil Guild

Thread Information