Thread: Poor Bosses

Angry Poor Bosses

Okay, so we've had this new "manager" for a couple months now. I was among the least judgemental of her when she was hired into our department.

But now, she's just pushed every single button of mine, and I've done nothing but my job! I don't get it!

I work in a reconditioning department at a collision center. I'm a automotive tech trainee, but the only thing I do there is inspect new cars off the rail and prep them for sale. That's ALL I do. I'm not paid hourly, I'm paid on commission. I show up around the same time every day, leave the same time every day if not later, I don't steal, I don't talk trash or have attitudes, I follow company policy. I'm not horribly social at work, because I do as much work as I can while I'm there. The only reason I haven't made "employee of the month" is because I don't cut corners to make a deal; If I'm going to do a job, I'm going to do the job right.

But I gotta say, this "manager" is effectively driving the department into the ground. She's withholding my work (which I need to get a paycheck) and demands I keep "her" strict hourly schedule. I live in Denver, it's winter, there's ice and snow on the road. It slows people down, and it slows me down cause no one else knows how to drive in the stuff. I leave early, skimp on sleep and food and sometimes even shower, and I'm still "late". She's told me I'm either going to do these inspections "her way", or not at all. "Her way" isn't effective, because I can't do them fast enough.

Which I don't get, because she gets her paycheck off the amount of work I do. Who not only drives their own department into the dirt, and shoots themself in the foot afterwards? I don't get it.

Well, this morning I was suspended for three days for an "attitude". I rarely talk to this lady, I'm too busy trying to get my own work done. I'm sorry I don't smile and show obedience every time I walk through the office. I never had an attitude with her until I was suspended, at which point she got a full serving and a slammed door.

Our inventory doesn't have parts it normally does cause she got rid of it, and the other techs have to order parts they used to have, and waste time fixing a car. She doesn't go to meetings that are mandatory, and when I got written up two weeks ago (again for that mysterious attitude, and going to boxing) she claimed to have talked to me about it "on multiple occassions".

She never said a dang thing to me about it.

And now thanks to this suspension, I'm not likely to make rent this month. She has made me so stressed, I haven't slept for over a month and a half, I'm sick, and (cover your ears, boys) I'm bleeding TWO WEEKS EARLY.

I'd love to find a new job and stick it to her on my way out, but the pickings are slim (holidays, and recession on top of that). I've got the rest of the week to pound the pavement looking for better work, but I used to like working where I do. Did? Probably won't know till Monday.

Huh. I feel a little better.

Default Re: Poor Bosses

Ugg, I hate bosses like that - the only other thing I can think to say is can you complain above her head? Go to HER boss higher up??

Cuz if you can - heck yea I'd do it! You've never had any complaints against you and now this - on top of your dept thingy losing money with her new "rules" and the meetings she doesn't attend. You could definnitely file a complaint the other way .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

If your job doesn't demand strict hours and you haven't had to have those hours before. Complain to HR that this lady is interfering with your personal time.

Terrible, I feel for you. I would understand if you just killed her (oops, I didn't say that, really ).

But like the others said, go over her head, can you find brother-in-arms?
    I really hope it works out for you, in the mean time the best of luck!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I'd suggest looking at your employee handbook about contesting the suspension.

You got a bad manager and either upper management doesn't know (shes lying to them) or they don't care (the company is tanking anyway or she has relative/friend higher up)

If you can contest it be sure to include
    that she had given you no verbal warnings (request that she identify which day/times witnesses had been present)
    Express your concerns for how she is reducing through put (and income of the dept)
    include specific examples (date/time/witnesses) where she was delaying/intentionally reducing the ability of the department to work
    include specific examples (date/time/witnesses) of her missing mandatory meetings without cause
    You better have several witnesses for occurances that you cite because she will most likely just lie to her management.

If management starts actually doing something about her, then just keep an eye out for her trying to retalitate (dont be anywher alone with her cause she'll probably accuse you of something unprovealble like sexual harassment) but other than that do you job.

If management does nothing, then get out as soon as you can. She is going to run the dept into the ground and everyone but her will get the blame for it. Since she may have caused you damages by lying (if she gave you the _mandatory_ verbal warnings before she could suspend you) then if managmeent is doing nothing then you should seek the advice of an attorney. You may be able to sue and the company for libel and damages.

I hear ya ScaleIron.... another problem is that with the recession going on, these companies got us all in a grip and think they can do with us whatever they please ( overloading work, harassment, BAD BOSSES, ect. ). I too am in a situation with my supervisors giving me more work than I can handle and then they turn around and raise heck.

I am also thinking of leaving my workplace for another job. The only advice I can give Scale dont look for work at any of the Shaw Industries plants, they are every bit as evil ( if not worse-- ie. ethics, integrity, nickle and dimes us t every chance they get ).

meh, what this country needs is a good old fashioned working-class revolt. everyone who preforms any labour job stops showing up for work the same week. see how well they coporate thugs like it when their cash-cow stops running.

This manager is a nasty one it sounds like. Go complain to her boss, I bet you she has brown nosed him or her a bit and been lying about how things are running. It is not fair to you to be put through this.

If you go to her manager, be sure to have specific incidents to relate, not just "she always". Also, be sure to talk about her actions and how that impacts you, not so much her attitude. It is far easier to make someone change their actions than their personality, and gives managers something to measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    meh, what this country needs is a good old fashioned working-class revolt. everyone who preforms any labour job stops showing up for work the same week. see how well they coporate thugs like it when their cash-cow stops running.

Worldwide would be nice

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

if you lived in Ohio, i could recommend the Buick dealership that is in town...they have a full service facility. that, and the Graham Ford dealership in northern Columbus. (i bought my mustang GT there, i love the place).

but yeah, start taking notes of everything going on. get witnesses, and go to her boss and upper management. stick it to her.

Thread Information