Thread: Holiday Adventures

Default Holiday Adventures

So I have had a rather interesting 24 hours. Not sharing this story for pity or anything, but thought I'd share so others may relive their holiday adventures as well, as this is turning out to be quite a one for me.

We've been considering getting a dog for months now, but finding the right one at our Humane shelter has been a challenge. On Friday we met the right dog. He's a German Shorthaired Pointer named Toby, 9 months old. We brought him home Sunday. He's a real love.

So now the adventure part. While I was out walking him this morning (our first walk together), the sidewalk was just slick enough at one spot that when Toby jerked off to my right, down I went. Long ER visit made shorter, I broke the bones in my ankle on "both sides" (to quote the doctor). Got myself home and on pain meds, took a nap, and woke to a dog who was convinced he needed to go out. We have a tie out lead for him, so I was going to put him on that. Had his collar, opened the door and seconds later all I was left with was his collar. What seemed like hours later, hobbling around with him never more than about 30 feet (but never closer than a few inches) from me, he finally got distracted enough by the smell of another dog that I could get him and put the collar back on him. Many praises and tears (on my part) later, Toby is back in the house and my ankle looks like ... well, not good, shall we say.

So it is going to be a rather memorable holiday here and Christmas hasn't even come! My mother-in-law calls these sorts of things "adventures", and admittedly life is full of them. So, what are your most memorable holiday adventures?

Default Re: Holiday Adventures

Sorry, Velea to hear of your mishap.

Anyways, about 14 years ago the wife (ex now) and I went to visit her parents over the holidays. We noticed that their gutters were all clogged with leaves and such. It seemed an easy thing to take care of for them.

Cleaning about 90% of the gutters was very easy. I never even had to get off of the ladder. There were two areas on a higher part of the roof that made it so I had to get on top of the roof. The first small gutter area was easy to clean out. The second had a clogged down spout.

Well, I was using the hose to jam it down the down spout to clear the clog. The down spout came disconnected from the gutter and water got everywhere on the roof tiles. (Real wood shingled tiles). It got VERY slippery and the next thing I knew I was falling over the edge. My right foot made it to the grass area. My left foot was not that lucky.

Long story short, but I completely shattered my heal and spent the next five days in the hospital. And the next 6 months before I could put any weight on that heal. A complete year before I could walk normally.

Smile Re: Holiday Adventures

(hmm- I ask forgivenness if it`s a bit smelly..)

Three years ago, in the Christmas night, my mom asked me to go for a Christmas- walk with her. It was cold, it was late and bit snowy and my mom was not very firm on her feet anymore. But as usual (at least at Christmas): Her wish was my command. So I left Flame alone in our kitchen to finnish our wonderful Christmas meal and left the house.
    Walking through the slippery darkness with my mom, I continually tried to hold her hand or arm or a piece of her coat. Which was not that easy, cause mom used to talk with her hands, feet, with her whole body- and she was talking all the time.
    On our way back home, there was one unfortunate moment: Telling me how biiiig something was (I do not remember^^) she broke free--and fell---right into the dog`s toilet (which was under a tree)
    Thank GOD she was not hurt- but when I got her on her feet again...
    I could smell what happened.
    I spent the rest of that evening with my washing machine and dryer, mom went to bed, not willing to talk to anybody.
    No need to say, that Flame had all the Christmas meal for himself

But here is another one:
    Many years ago- in the Christmas night, my family and me were sitting around the Christmas tree. It was a sad evening, cause we were missing my brother, who was in the army at that time, far away on the other side of Germany. Just when we decided to go to bed- the doorbell rang- and in the door stood: Our little Tin Soldier
    First we all did: burst into tears-
    but then we had a wonderful Christmas night.
    He had changed the shift with a collegue in the morning, was travelling all day long- but there had been a lot of angels (with wheels instaed of wings)
    all over Germany, who brought
    the little Tin Soldier home for Christmas...

All the best for your recovery Velea- take good care-*comforting hug*
    Last edited by LOVWYRM; December 16th, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Default Re: Holiday Adventures

Mine occurred a little earlier in the season...

Several years ago, the place I worked for at the time was giving all of the employees a frozen turkey with our Thanksgiving paychecks. I had direct deposit and the day off, but had to come in to get the turkey.

I parked next to the loading dock where the turkeys were being stored, and was told I had to go around the building & through security to get in. OK, fine... I left my car there so I could just leave after I got the turkey, which I was finally able to pick up a few minutes later.

There is a proper way to get down off a loading dock - you put your hand down at the edge of the dock, plant your butt next to it, and swing your legs off the edge & down. I did exactly this, and even had the turkey sitting on the edge of the dock, waiting to be picked up once I was on the ground.

I picked up the turkey and turned - not even a single step - and searing agony erupted in my left knee. The turkey & my head hit the pavement at the same time.

Much agony later, I find out I have a tibial plateau fracture, and need to have surgery to install a metal brace to hold the bone together. Next opening: two weeks later. Until then, total bed rest with the leg immobilized. I also got a large supply of happy pills and a bed pan. After surgery, six weeks of recovery and ten weeks of PT before I could walk again.

The only shining spot out of the whole thing is that, because I had come in to the office for a company activity, it was covered by workman's comp.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information