Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Re: Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    HAHAH... It can be as bad as any pre-production release of any software. Meaning it could be polished and close to release quality or it could be super super super bad and crash. For normal software, that doesn't bother me that much. But personally, for an OS I prefer something that isn't officially in beta since the OS has greater access and control over your actual drivers and hardware. It can cause irreparable damage to your computer. I'd prefer to not take that chance.
    I guess it can be fun then xD I'm taking the risk. I hope it's worth it

Hmph, normally I'd try it, but these days I don't have money to chuck into repairs if things go awry.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

HAHAH... It can be as bad as any pre-production release of any software. Meaning it could be polished and close to release quality or it could be super super super bad and crash. For normal software, that doesn't bother me that much. But personally, for an OS I prefer something that isn't officially in beta since the OS has greater access and control over your actual drivers and hardware. It can cause irreparable damage to your computer. I'd prefer to not take that chance.
    Hehe... well this is basically a new pc that is pretty bare. I had a 40gb partition made so I tried installing it Windows 7 there. If the whole thing goes bang... yes it'll be annoying but not irrepairable since I have all my install disks. All my work is on another system.

HOWEVER... that said my Windows 7 experience didn't get past the installer. After copying all the files and rebooting a few times, mine sticks on a black screen with "Windows 7 Pre Release version 7000", or something like that, in the bottom right corner (the standard beta text) with nothing else whatsoever. Occasionally you get a mouse pointer, and the machine will turn the monitor off after about 10 mins so clearly the core of Windows is running but it's not running the process to finalise the install. My ISO could be borked I suppose, but to get through the install process without an error being picked up??

If I try Safe Mode, it says "Preparing your computer for first use" then an error box appears saying that it cannot continue in Safe mode ... then reboots ... and back to the above. Ctrl-alt-del doesn't seem to do anything either. Perhaps I should try 32-bit instead.

Rakku

Brave people... I don't touch beta versions of an operating system.
    well I'm just now putting together a new core i7 system so it has no data to lose or settings or anything like that. And I seriously doubt even MS would be dumb enough to release an OS that would damage equipment even if an OS could damage equipment.

Also I have 32 bit and 64 bit Vista ultimate standing by in case I want a fairly functional OS........and as a last resort I still have all my XP pro software.

Just realize if you do use the Win 7 beta, it only lasts till 08/09/09 and there is NO upgrading from it to the live version. Which means you will lose everything once the retail Win 7 OS is released.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Sounds like fun, Rakku x]

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    Sounds like fun, Rakku x]
    Right...

Well... Windows 7 itself seems pretty good. It's the first 64 bit OS I've used and it seems to cruise along rather well, although I'm very limited with what I can do with it since my stupid usb net adaptor drivers will not install even though the Netgear site says they'll work. Indeed.

I did try some things however... I had to install the Visual Studio libraries as a prerequisite to installing my usb adaptor. I then tried just double-clicking the horizons executable. I got the Horizons splash screen and then a box saying I needed to run it through the website. Correct!

I then rebooted and tried the same thing again... and you guessed it... "horizons.exe has stopped working". Windows 7 doesn't give you anything afterwards to report the problem however, so successive attempts you just briefly see the error box and it's gone again.

From my system then, with 64 bit Windows 7, it seems like the same problem remains. It's something to do with those Visual C++ libraries rather than the OS, or the combination of the Vista/Windows 7 kernal and those libraries.

The OS itself though does seem pretty good and responsive ... and not one crash yet. I said earlier I had problems installing... it was the daftest thing ever. I have two displays, one of which is an lcd tv ... and I was watching tv... and this tv happened to be plugged into the primary dvi port on the graphics card. Windows 7 was seeing this display and using it as the primary, even though it was not in use (Vista/XP only *see* it when I select hdmi on the tv). I never saw this effect when installing XP, and even the Windows 7 initial installer screen I could see... so why did it do this? Who knows. Anyway the Black screen on my pc monitor was the secondary display. I only twigged what was happening when I saw that the mouse pointer was actually vanishing onto another screen when it moved off the left side. D'OH! If I had known that immediately the whole install would have taken no more than 25 mins or so. It picked up all my hardware, with the exception of my usb internet thing and my sd card reader. It even had graphics card drivers, but I put Catalysts on straight away.

Good luck to any others trying with Windows 7. I'm giving up until I can get it on the Internet. My usb adaptor is a Netgear WG111T.

Rakku

i downloaded, burned the ISO, and installed win7 with no issues. i LOVE win7.

downloading and installing HZ as i type this.

double posting here, because i cannot edit my above post. tried HZ on win7, is a nogo so far. trying to see if i can get it working.

EDIT: tried rebooting my computer, still no go. looks like Windows 7 users will not have HZ.
    Last edited by Romirez; January 13th, 2009 at 07:28 AM.

I saw the system requirements for windows 7 was half of those for Vista, wich is a good sign. Maybe they've dropped some of the h*rseshit...

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    I saw the system requirements for windows 7 was half of those for Vista, wich is a good sign. Maybe they've dropped some of the h*rseshit...
    It didn't seem to roger my hard drive dry either... kinda surprising.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    tried rebooting my computer, still no go. looks like Windows 7 users will not have HZ.
    Maybe it's too early to tell...
    <----clicky!

Hopefully its just something with the beta and there will be a way to get it to work. I know when I had the Vista beta my Everquest 1 sounds ere messed up and Everquest II ran with an unremoveable green tint. Guess can only send feedback and hope someone somewhere will do something to fix it.

i hope it's just a beta thing, but it sounds like wishful thinking here. Windows 7 runs off of the same Kernel as Vista. and thus, runs programs the same way, which causes the same problem with the HZ executable file.

Aye. I got it installed now, and running hz atm. I'll reboot in a bit to see if it works again. If not, gotta send feedback to the MS team. Who knows, maybe it'll help fixing it

Aye. I got it installed now, and running hz atm. I'll reboot in a bit to see if it works again. If not, gotta send feedback to the MS team. Who knows, maybe it'll help fixing it
    assuming its a OS issue. Maybe we need to sneak a HZ fan into MSs beta team.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

My problems began after a reboot. On the initial install it'll almost be guaranteed to work since that's usually when the C++ libraries are installed. I hope this isn't the case and it'll work consistantly. Were you able to run the game on Vista?

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    My problems began after a reboot. On the initial install it'll almost be guaranteed to work since that's usually when the C++ libraries are installed. I hope this isn't the case and it'll work consistantly. Were you able to run the game on Vista?

Rakku
    Yes I was, but I experienced the same troubles as everyone else. Going to reboot now. I'll let you know.

EDIT : as expected, I get the "horizons.exe has stopped working" message. Report is sent. Oh well
    Last edited by Zexoin; January 13th, 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Well I managed to get 7.0 Ult installed and working, not realy fond of the desktop and some others things are kinda strange looking , tring to turn off all the security stuff now, I merger the registry entrys from XP but it says the Horizons is not installed, so messing with that, I was hoping I could find the small 10 meg installer or what ever size it was and just fool windows to think its installed , will update on the registry issue soon.

Regustery issues fixed still out if Istaria works or not as Blight is down for maint,
    have not needed to update any drivers or anything sound/video cards all work Active Sync all working like it should over bluetooth, much better then vista (so Far)
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

http://www.virtualbox.org/
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Thread Information