Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Re: Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    I might have a mess around with that. Is it any good at games?

Rakku

Well it seems they found a solution to hz's problem, but when windows trys to open the solution center, I get a "This program cannot display the webpage" error message. Great. >.>

Hmm... well if they figured the problem out, that's something, at least...
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    Well it seems they found a solution to hz's problem, but when windows trys to open the solution center, I get a "This program cannot display the webpage" error message. Great. >.>
    Probably overloaded due to all the Vista players looking for a solution...

Keep us updated on that one... I'd probably delete Xp if Horizons works on Vista. I run pretty much everything on it now since Vista seems to be *stable*... wtf!

Rakku

Who is this "they" who have found the solution? VI or Microsoft?
    I wouldn't expect any help to come from MS as the game is DX8 based and all support for it has been discontinued.

Drev

I know MS has a virtual machine type beta called med-v. Downloaded it and waiting for my machine to get done. So I'll be running a beta VM on a beta OS. This should be fun
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Death-knell View Post
    I know MS has a virtual machine type beta called med-v. Downloaded it and waiting for my machine to get done. So I'll be running a beta VM on a beta OS. This should be fun
    In theory that could obliterate the Universe... do be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    I might have a mess around with that. Is it any good at games?

Rakku
    As for all the emulations it has limited support for 3D graphics. You have to play games in OpenGL mode, there's people playing World Of Warcraft on VirtualBox.

ATM I don't have the time to try installing a virtual machine.

If someone of you got the time and can prove Istaria can run in VirtualBox (I don't recall if Horizons got OpenGL support i.e. thru some command line), then they can run Horizons in an emulated XP machine from his Vista / Windows 7 computer.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Look what I just found:

Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Basically it's a kit containing a series of software that (among other many things) can evaluate what wrong happens when you run older software on Vista / Windows 7 and it crashes. It will also prepare a report to send to Microsoft with the hows and whys of the compatibility issue.

Maybe our dear developers might launch that toolkit and make Microsoft aware of the compatibility issue and eventually have the long awaited compatibility?
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I notice there is a "Family Update" available for .NET Framework v1.1 too - anyone tried this? I assume that would just affect the launcher, not the game though...

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Look what I just found:

Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Basically it's a kit containing a series of software that (among other many things) can evaluate what wrong happens when you run older software on Vista / Windows 7 and it crashes. It will also prepare a report to send to Microsoft with the hows and whys of the compatibility issue.

Maybe our dear developers might launch that toolkit and make Microsoft aware of the compatibility issue and eventually have the long awaited compatibility?
    I let the dear (read:brain fried) developers who have been working on this know about the tool. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    I let the dear (read:brain fried) developers who have been working on this know about the tool. Thanks!
    ****crosses fingers, toes and what little hair he has left******

Hopes they can find a solution.

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    In theory that could obliterate the Universe... do be careful!
    You make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    You make me laugh.
    I try lol...

My copy of Vista installed an update called "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update" ... for me Horizons still doesn't work.

XP is now saying to install a similar update.

Anyone else had any changes to their Vista experience with this pack?

Rakku

Nothing wrong with Vista at all and XP is now showing its age.

I have tried Windows 7 64 Bit on 5 different computers. Boot times with NO tweaks are up to 50 percent faster than they were under Vista and much faster than XP. In its beta state right now Windows 7 is pretty stable.

I would have fewer problems upgrading to Windows 7 than I did with Vista. I held out for a little while before moving to Vista. I did so because my job demanded I know how to support and program under Vista. Problem with Vista is you really need to know how to google for tweaks for vista. Granted all that Windows XP 64 blows donkey and my Vista 64 bit experience has been much more positive.

I haven't tried windows 7 with HZ. But given that Windows 7 is Vista with all that clunking coding removed we could still have the same problems. Vitrium still needs to solve why istaria has such problems with Vista.

Still though Windows 7 is expected to launch in 2010. I hope MS offers the upgrade at a significant discount since windows 7 is to correct the mistakes made in Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDwarf View Post
    Nothing wrong with Vista at all and XP is now showing its age.

I have tried Windows 7 64 Bit on 5 different computers. Boot times with NO tweaks are up to 50 percent faster than they were under Vista and much faster than XP. In its beta state right now Windows 7 is pretty stable.

I would have fewer problems upgrading to Windows 7 than I did with Vista. I held out for a little while before moving to Vista. I did so because my job demanded I know how to support and program under Vista. Problem with Vista is you really need to know how to google for tweaks for vista. Granted all that Windows XP 64 blows donkey and my Vista 64 bit experience has been much more positive.

I haven't tried windows 7 with HZ. But given that Windows 7 is Vista with all that clunking coding removed we could still have the same problems. Vitrium still needs to solve why istaria has such problems with Vista.

Still though Windows 7 is expected to launch in 2010. I hope MS offers the upgrade at a significant discount since windows 7 is to correct the mistakes made in Vista.
    Well since beta for Win7 ends 08/09/09 I'd say it will be released well before 2010.

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Windows 7 was a good surprise. I thought it was gonna have the same flaws as Vista did, but except the Horizons, err... Istaria troubles, it was much better. I've had the 3 last windows running on my laptop and Windows 7 is the fastest of them. And it has the Vista layout, which I like a lot better than the XP one. It uses about half ressources of what Vista needed.
    And I also like the new taskbar, which is very easy to use.
    Actually I'm considering to buy it for my current computer as soon as it is released.

Windows 7 is widely expected to launch just before the start of the 09/10 school year, in six months. PC makers are still mad at MS about missing both the start of the school year AND the christmas sales, so MS won't be doing that again any time soon:P.

I'm actually looking forward to Windows 7, myself. From what I've seen of it, it looks like Vista except fixed.
    Hopefully the Istaria compatibility issue is fixed before then so I can upgrade instead of just dual-booting.

Installed Windows 7 Wednesday night updated and installed some games last night. Installed Horizons this morning and just logged in doing nothing special. Of course come reboot time I am sure I will be done.

Thread Information