Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Wondering

Default Just Wondering

I was just wondering if theres been any thought given to extenting the time length items stay on the connie. In my opinion this might help to offset the declining population for now at least, if by some miracle population increases than they could always be rolled back. Nothing sucks more than taking the time to connie a bunch of forms only to end up with 95% back in your vault, I think more people might take the extra time to connie instead of pawn if they knew they just wouldnt end up with a unusable vault and another trip either to connie again or pawn this time in two weeks time.

Default Re: Just Wondering

Longer than 14 days?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Longer than whatever is now, i havent been back long enough to get anything back, and cant remember what is is but thought it was 15 days was it not. LOL so dont tell me ok well make it 15 from the 2 weeks i said in early post

As I mentioned in another thread... MUCH longer for some things. The best one to see for long term connie-age would be Tech Bits on Sir Aiden.

At the same time, especially with the smaller population on Order, everything being able to stay on the connies longer would be handy. For those wonderful crafters that try to keep armor and tools and spells and such stocked on the connies, having to put them back on all the time is a royal pain, and kinda discouraging. I know it was when I tried for a short period of time.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

I could see some benefit in having items stay on consigners longer for the same reasons. (Yes, I have unsold stuff hit my vault every couple weeks too, and that gets annoying.)

What is the proposed consignment duration? What /negative/ or /undesired/ effects would extending the consignment duration to the proposed one have?

i'd like to see a month for items i put on the new trismus connie

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    i'd like to see a month for items i put on the new trismus connie
    Same for Sir Adian.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Why do you think someone is going to buy something in a month if they haven't bought it in 2 weeks? (Just curious, not trying to be facetious.)

Because population is low, people might be new and didnt know about consis, they didnt need it in that time the items where up in the 2 weeks in the consi etc.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

The consignment period has already been doubled to 14 days. At what point does consignment become low-rent long term storage?
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Well I'd say extending it to 30 days certainly doesnt make it low cost long term storage, calling a 30 day connie hold long term low cost storage is almost as funny as Amon thinking Nadia is capping comp prices.

Like I said i was just wondering, thought from personal experiences and plenty of people saying it in game as one reason they don't take time to connie stuff that I'd I inquire if it was anything your interested in. Your not, thats fine, though i think it'll possibly help start more of a player dependent economy like you want.

But to imply that i posed the question looking for a cheap place to store my stuff is a little insulting.

Velea, lots of people on Order log in once a week some less frequent, a longer time frame will mean stuff is up longer better chance more will see it, you might need something 25 days from now you didnt know you needed at the 15 day mark. Anyways i was just wondering as thread title suggests, nothing i feel like fighting about.

New players are told about consigners in both tutorials, actually. And both bipeds and dragons have a quest which specifically takes them to the New Trismus consigner. When they greet her during that quest, she explains exactly what a consigner is and how it works (and why they are beneficial to the players).

So new players do learn about consigners... unless they go out of their way to not.

Teto, I don't think any of us were saying YOU personally were going to use it as long-term storage. We were just pointing out that raising it might allow that type of behavior to occur.

Anyway, it is a discussion we will have to have internally to evaluate the technical impact of a longer limit among other things.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Teto Frum View Post
    Velea, lots of people on Order log in once a week some less frequent, a longer time frame will mean stuff is up longer better chance more will see it, you might need something 25 days from now you didnt know you needed at the 15 day mark. Anyways i was just wondering as thread title suggests, nothing i feel like fighting about.
    I'm not understanding the logic here.

How is extending the time that something is on a consigner going to help you realize that you need something on day 15 that you aren't really going to need on day 25?

My point is that no matter how long something is left on a consignment merchant, you aren't ever going to know you are going to need it until ... well.. you know you are going to need it. The item is either going to be there when you know that, or it isn't.

Right now the system seems balanced to me. If you are a dedicated crafter, you look at the number of people purchasing in a two week period, factor in the cost that the consigner charges, and set your prices accordingly. If the item doesn't sell in 2 weeks, then you know the demand has changed for that item. At that point you have to decide if you pay the fee again (and take the risk that demand will pick up), or watch the market for a time when you do see it pick up.

To be honest, a longer consigner time seems to run counter to an active player economy. If goods aren't moving on a consigner, that means that the wrong goods are being placed on there, not that buyers aren't using them. To me, that would say you want items to move off faster, not stay longer. You want the market to keep pace with the player's need, so you need to be able to know what moves.

For example, in a different game that I play, I have a choice to consign an item for as little as a few hours, or as long as 2 days. The longer I leave an item on the auction, the higher the fee is. Certain items (this game's equivalent to tech components) pretty well always move in the first day if they are going to move at all, so I put them up for a day. Other items (formulas for example), take longer to move, so I'll often put them up twice for 2 days each time before they sell. Then there's these rare items that are class specific but that everyone of a certain level needs. Those items I can put up for 2 hours and they're snapped up.

Amon's probably going to smack me for having posted that because I know someone is now going to ask if we can have a system like that, but it's a risk I'm going to take in order to make my point. You can do something similiar in Istaria even without the time variable in how long you can auction something for.

If you know that 10 T2 cargo disks sell in a period of 6 weeks, and you want to make them all at once, then put them on the consigner all at once, but factor in the consigner fee times 2 or 3 when setting the price. The ones that sell earliest, you make a higher profit on. The ones that don't sell until week 5, you may make less profit on but that's made up for early on. Sure you have to go back twice and put the leftovers that didn't sell back onto the consigner, but that's a good way to keep tabs on the market. If you only have one left at the end of 2 weeks, you know demand has suddenly gone up and you need to make more. If all 10 are still there, then demand has gone down and maybe don't consign all 10 until some start to sell.

I feel that the longer the consignment period is, the more difficult it becomes for a crafter who is interested in supply and demand to be able to keep tabs on that supply and demand. (Same applies to an adventurer, btw, who is hunting componenets or trophies, but I used crafters in my examples.)

For those who do not log in often (once a week or less), the website exists to let them know what is available for sale remember. They can always note who's selling the item (items) they want and attempt to contact that person in game if the sale expires before the opportunity to log in arrives.

Please note that in none of what I'm saying in this over-long posts means anything decision wise. It's my own opinions on why I feel the time limit (and the fee) are balanced as they are now, that's all. Compelling reasons for a change in the time limit could change my opinion. (Though I will say outright that I feel if the time limit is raised, so should the fee charged in order to discourage players from using the consigner as something other than a means of selling items to players.)

Ok like i said I don't want to argue this but i will further explain my logic.

Firstly what you said i said is exact opposite of what i said. I said at the 15 day mark your at the connie and might not know something is on connie your looking at you might need in a couple lvls, all im saying is it being on longer can only help sales.

Every assumption youve made to me operates under regular game conditions, which Istaria is no longer. What your describing works perfect where you play im sure, but game must have a good sized population across all teirs, and a steady influx of new players to make it work. Istaria has neither of those, 2 years ago i wouldve agreed with 100%. But different times call for different ideas.

The old time frame worked good when there still was some sort of economy, this is designed to help jump start a new economy by allowing things to stay longer since theres not enough people using connies to keep a rotating stock at all teirs. If population increases and its no longer neccasary then it can be shorten back up.

This move is designed to get more people using connies because they have less chance of having to run to vault every 15 days to then either connie again or pawn removing from circulation the item. Plus leaving stuff on longer will allow more new players to see an item because itll be up covering a 30 day span instead of a 15 day span. Therefore more new players will get a chance to see it and maybe buy it. You have to agree with the logic that more new players start in 30 days than do in 15.

To the raising of the prices, I'm fine with that but, higher fees may cause less new players to join the connie economy , counter productive to what this move would be aimed at. Your talking about game balance by raising prices, the only balance youve got now is most people dont use connies to sell or buy.

Like i said, this is nothing i feel like getting an arguement over, was just a suggestion to try and make the economy function a little better. If you guys disagree thats fine, was just a question, but i know when i was new in Hz the connies were well loaded, im not sure what newbies that dont want to beg or join a guild do now, leave would be my guess, was just thinking of a way of getting more stuff on connie and thought this would help.

Points to ponder in the discussion of length of time for consignment before unsold material is returned to player’s vault:

• Not all Istarian connies which are open to the public are listed on the community consignment listing, and that listing is not updated in real time.
    • Not all of the items posted for sale on public connies are player crafted and often those that are player crafted are excess older crafted items available because of items stored in plots purchased at auction or which have become excess to need due to small player base these days.
    • Players do use connies for “cheapâ€? temporary storage to facilitate preparation of construction craft items and since these are typically posted at 1 copper ea, raising the consignment fee percentage for such use would not be an issue of concern to players or of benefit to the player economy. These postings are typically repurchased the same day.
    • As stated elsewhere in this thread, the disposition of unsold material returned to posting player’s vault is a painful element of game play. We need as few gameplay pains as possible. Moreover, in view of the pain it is probable that few players craft items to be consigned as it is most difficult to predict consumption per week. More items would be crafted for speculative sale if they were up for sale for a greater number of weeks and thus expected sale quantity would be greater. That we should post only a portion of items fabricated for sale implies need for additional storage on crafter’s own premises.
    • I support Awdz’s request that the consignment interval at New Trismus be increased as this connie is different than the others insofar as it being used primarily for unteched crafted items and as items are unteched they are more widely of interest to entry level players than they would be to more advanced players.
    • With the small size of the current player base, the probability of selling an item with techs chosen by the crafter is very low indeed. Most all crafted items with techs are made to order by a crafter to his customer’s specs. For such transactions, and in those cases where tech comps are from hunts rather than from Nadia, there is no “money sinkâ€? implication. At higher levels, the crafting of such made to order items is done at little or no cost if the customer supplies the tech comps.

Perhaps other crafting players will be prompted to offer further comment.

Knossos

Crazy idea here, but WHAT IF.

1. There were ONLY three public imperial consigners in the world; New Trismus, Bristugo and a yet named/created Portal Hub.
    2. At each of the two portal hubs there was a Sir Aidan NPC.
    3. At each portal hub there was a tavern with a tavernkeeper.

Yes, its radical. Looking for opinions. (Please keep this thread civil)

Im in favour of all three, but don't see how any address connie volume. But don't see a problem with removing the racial connies, all but Aug are empty most days.

How about a mini event built arround their removal and some quests to connie stuff to celebrate the new 30 day connie hold window, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Crazy idea here, but WHAT IF.

1. There were ONLY three public imperial consigners in the world; New Trismus, Bristugo and a yet named/created Portal Hub.
    2. At each of the two portal hubs there was a Sir Aidan NPC.
    3. At each portal hub there was a tavern with a tavernkeeper.

Yes, its radical. Looking for opinions. (Please keep this thread civil)
    I like the idea. But what about plot-built connies ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    I like the idea. But what about plot-built connies ?
    Not sure I'm understanding the question. What about them?

Thread Information