Thread: Last of the Iron Fangs - Chapter 3 - Training

Default Last of the Iron Fangs - Chapter 3 - Training

Crack! Ssilmath howled as the whip snaked through the bars and ripped along his back. For the thousandth time, he hurled himself at the bars, a scream of hate and defiance ripping through the air but carrying no further than the dark room. And for the thousandth time, the whip struck him, usually only leaving a welt on his scales but already he had several nasty, infected cuts from the beatings.

"All I want is...Hrrrmmm...forrrr you to do is...Hrrrmmm...talk normal," Vishouth said calmly as he coiled the whip up again. He shook his head but his eyes had a determined look on them. "Stop that...Hrrrmmm...hissing and snarrrling."

Ssilmath merely growled, slamming against the bars again, trying to find some weakness. All he got were bruises and another lash, this one ripping through his scales and opening up a long and wide gash along his right leg. He screamed once more, eyes and hands glowing green as he tried to summon foliage, lightning, anything. But the blank stone walls defied every attempt of his, and the few lightning bolts he could summon through the pain and rage were barely effective enough to cause the black Saris to flinch.

"You will learrrrn," Vishouth growled, putting the leather strap down. He thrust another set of flaxen clothes in through the bars. "I know...Hrrrmmm...you arrre intelligent. Hrrrmmm...You are not an animal. So...Hrrrmmm...wearrr this."

Ssilmath took the clothing and unfolded them, looking at them through glaring eyes. After a moment, he ripped them up violently and threw the shreds around his cage. Vishouth growled again, going for the whip. He couldn't understand how this Sslik, unfed in almost two weeks and so heavily punished could even resist. It's green eyes, flecked with blue, stared back at him, panting slightly and greatly thinned, but still healthy despite the wounds and lack of food. Vishouth pulled the whip back, and sent the tip flicking out again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ssilmath took the blow, and looked back at the jabbering cat. How long was the stubborn fool going to strike and starve him. The reptile felt the sting of the blow, and decided that now was not a good time to through himself at the shiny bamboo. That last one had broken his forearm, and though it was already mending due to the his race's faster metabolism, was causing him a lot of pain.

Why did that cat keep handing him bits of cloth? He had no use for them, and refused to wear something made by a mammal. He'd kill them all, just as soon as he got out of this cage. He'd show them. The whip came flicking in again, and Ssilmath smiled at the cat. The tip caught his lower jaw and split the scales open, but Ssilmath didn't care. He was planning on how that cat was going to suffer.

Vishouth pulled the strap back from the reptiles face, deciding that enough was enough for one day. He coiled the whip up and placed it on it's peg again, then looked one last time at Ssilmath. He saw the smile and the promise of death in the Sslik's eyes, and shuddered. Perhaps he was wasting his time. Shrugging off the unease, he walked from the small stone hut and down to his villa.

"Any change?" Kindra called up to him from their small garden. "Did it even try to act civilized."

"None," the big cat sighed, heading towards his wife. "The usual...Hrrrmmm...defiance and destrrruction, Hrrmmm...followed by the usual punishment and...Hrrrmmm....attacking the barrrrs rrrroutine."

"It's been 5 months," the striped Saris stated worridly. "I'm afraid that we are going to kill it, or even change it into something horrible. We don't even know anything about it."

"Like what, dearrr?" Vishouth asked, his golden eyes lifting a bit. "What...Hrrrmmm...else should we know?"

Kindra sat silent for a while, and Vishouth didn't press it. He sat under the shade of a tree and prayed, trying to get some response from Istaria. For many long minutes, silence rained in the garden, both Saris deep in their own internal conversation. Kindra perked up her ears and turned to look at her husband.

"Like how old it is, and wether it is healthy," she said slowly. "Or what it will eat and what it wears. I don't know the first thing about Sslik. And I don't know anyone who does."

"You...Hrrmmm...arrre rrright, my dearrr," Vishouth rumbled. "I will...Hrrrmmm...gatherrr my enerrrgies and...Hrrrmmm...heal Ssilmath tomorrrrrow."

"And then what?" Kindra asked with a slight smile on her face.

"And then...Hrrrmmm...we ask a Sslik these things," he mused. "And find out...Hrrrmmm...a few things."

The next day, Vishouth walked up the hill to the low stone hut. He paused at the door, wondering for the hundreth time if he was doing the right thing. The thought of a hissing reptile remorselessly tearing a human apart and carrying off the body brought his nerve back, and he opened the door. Ssilmath lay on the floor, cradling his right arm in his other hand, all of the opens wounds on his body festering and full of pus.

"Ssilmath...wake up," Vishouth whispered, sitting down nearby. When nothing happened, he took a stick and prodded the sleeping creature. Instantly the stick was grabbed and broken, and Ssilmath lunged forward, claws striking out through the bars and at Vishouth's face. The Saris ducked back, shouting in surprise. Ssilmath frothed at the mouth and reached for anything to destroy, hissing and yelling his defiance.

"Quiet," Vishouth bellowed, drawing only more screaming and hissing. "I know you...Hrrmmm...underrrrstand me, now silence."

He towered over the short frame of the reptile, but Ssilmath looked up and snarled, backing off from the bars and ceasing his yelling, the little enrgy he had saved up spent. Vishouth smiled and spoke words of reward that fell on uncomprehending ears.

"I'm going to...Hrrrmmm...heal you," the big cat began, smiling softly. "It will...Hrrrmmm...hurrrt forrrr a moment."

He held out his hands, allowing blue and gold energy to surround them, letting it slowly build up. Ssilmath looked at him cautiously, moving back from the bars slowly. With a gruff command, Vishouth poured the healing energies into the reptile. Ssilmath writhed as his shattered arm reknit, as his open wounds squeezed the infection out and sealed, leaving long and nasty scars, but no longer dangerous to his health. A scream of agony was torn from his throat, and when Vishouth released the magic, Ssilmath fell to the floor, spine arched in pain.

"Don't...Hrrrmmm...like that?" Vishouth chuckled. "You'rrre an odd sorrrt. Yes...Hrrrmmm...verrry odd. Healing is...Hrrmmm...not supposed to hurrrt."

Slowly Ssilmath relaxed, breathing heavily. The reptile stood slowly, glaring hate out at the Saris, when the door opened up, shedding light into the room and causing him to shut his eyes tight. A green scaled Sslik walked in, looking around the room with displeasure. Once she saw Ssilmath, she walked over and squatted down just outside the cage.

"Visshouth," the green one hissed. "What iss with all the blood on the ground? And why iss thiss sslik sso sstarved?"

"It claws himself and...Hrrrmmm...will not eat, Ssrrrath," Vishouth said without hesitation. "At least...Hrrmmm....it won't take the food I...Hrrmmm...brring."

"Hmm...Why hass you called me here?" Ssrath asked, looking about. "I am sssure there isss a reasson. There are other sslik in Kion."

"Because...Hrrrm...you arrre a doctorrr and...Hrrmmm...a sorrrcerrerrrr," Vishouth reasoned. "It is wild and...Hrrrmmm...needs to be stunned."

Ssrath looked Ssilmath in the eyes, soft violet meeting hard green. Ssilmath chirped and barked, trying to say something. Ssrath shook her head slowly, and stepped back, her forearms seeming to quiver with suppressed energy. Ssrath made no move, but Ssilmath's eyes rolled back into his head and the reptile collapsed. Vishouth opened the cage quickly, and allowed the large green Sslik in.

"Find out...Hrrmmm...everrrything you can," Vishouth commanded. "Even...Hrrrmmm...if it can speak."

"It ssspoke, Vishouth," Ssrath said, looking up at him sadly as she passed into the cage. "It ssspoke in Sslik, though I could not underssstand it, the Empire hasss not allowed the eldersss to teach usss. But I will find what you want, and be done sssoon."

Ssrath looked at every bit of Ssilmath possible, checking over her patient with care. After what seemed like an eternity to Vishouth, she steppped out of the cage, and he shut the door. She pulled a small book from her pocket, and read for a bit, then looked up at the big cat.

"Ssilmath isss a he, though I can only tell by the way he acts," she said softly. "He's healthy but needs to eat, you should spend more time trying to get him raw meat. The only way to prevent him clawing himself would be unbearable, so you'll just have to heal the wounds. He looks like a Highcrest or a Bluescale, but those tribes were disbanded long before he was born."

"Go on," Vishouth said when she paused. "When I...Hrrrmmm...firrrst saw him, a couple...Hrrrmmm...weeks past, he was...Hrrmm...behaving like an animal."

"Well, he sseemss to be about twenty five or so," Ssarth said slowly. "That would have made him five years old when the Iron Fangs were destroyed."

"That...Hrrmmm...grrroup of bandits?" Vishouth asked in surprise. "They attacked some...Hrrrmmm...soldierrrs and got wiped...Hrrmmm...out."

"The Iron Fangsss were made up of many different breedsss and tribesss," Ssarth continued. "I don't know why they attacked that army like that, they usssually waited until they themsslevesss were attacked before fighting."

"So, you arrrre...Hrrrmmm...saying that this is a surrrrvivorrr?" Vishouth asked incredulously. "I find that...Hrrmmm...harrrd to believe."

"Yess, the Imperial ssoldiersss are very complete," Ssarth conceded. "And thossse onesss were veteranss of the battlesss with the Sslik. They dessstroyed the entire tribe."

"This must...Hrrrmmm...just be a stubborrn trrrouble maker," Vishouth mused, rubbing his chin. Ssilmath slowly opened his eyes then, shaking his head to clear the grogginess. "Yes, just...Hrrrmmm...a disgruntled lonerrr."

Ssarth grunted and stood, leaving without another word. Vishouth glared after her, then turned his gaze towards Ssilmath. For a long time, he locked his golden eyes with Ssilmath's green, then lowered his gaze.

"I don't carrre...Hrrmmm...who orrr what you arre," he said, moving forward threatingly. Ssilmath advanced as well, placing his snout through the bars and glaring back. "And you will...Hrrmmm...brrreak. Wetherrr I do it, orrr...Hrrrmmm...someone else."

For the thousandth time, Ssilmath woke to the sound of the door being opened. For the thousandth time, the dark cat walked in, making sounds and noises that still made no sense at all. For the thousandth time, the Saris growled in frustration, making angry noises and gestures at Ssilmath. For three years it had been the same, a blur of pain, suffering and hopelessness.

"How many times must I say I can't understand you," Ssilmath yelled in Sslik. He reached for one of the metal bars for support, his great strength having diminished during his confinement, muscles atrophying in the tiny cell. "Just let me go"

The cat shook his head again, obivously not comprehending. But this time, instead of grabbing the whip, he gestured to someone in the doorway. Ssilmath's eyes brightened, hoping that someone was here to release him, but his face dropped as the newcomer arrived.

The massive creature clanked as it walked, a mountain of hard shell. Ssilmath had once attacked a creature like this before, and had badly injured his hand when he struck it. There was no way this monster was here to take care of him, it must be here to eat him. Ssilmath shrank back towards the far wall, putting what distance he could between himself and this monster.

"Therrre he is," Vishouth rumbled, pointing at the reptile. For once the Sslik seemed frightened, and Vishouth was secretly pleased. "He is...Hrrrmmm...all yourrrs."

"It looks half starved and horribly scarred," the man said from behind his heavy warmask. "What have you been doing to the poor creature?"

"I have done...Hrrrmmm...What I thought was best," Vishouth replied, hiding a look of anger. "I trrreated it as...Hrrmmm...the animal it is."

"It is a Sslik, but it doesn't have any look of intelligence," the man replied, moving for a closer look. Ssilmath pushed himself as far away as possible, hissing at the menace. "Very well, I will take it off of your hands."

"Thank you, " Vishouth said gratefully, going outside the shed.

The man looked at Ssilmath for a long while, waiting for the Saris to return. He had several uses for this reptile in mind. With a little feeding and some training, it would make an excellent beast of burden. After several minutes, Visouth returned with a pair of manacles and a strong rope, then opened the cage. Ssilmath darted at his chance for escape, but the man simply grabbed the small Sslik by the throat and lifted it off the ground.

"Bind him, Vishouth," he said, easily holding the struggling Ssilmath. Once the manacles were in place and the rope tied to them, binding Ssilmath's wrists close together, the man turned and handed Vishouth a small bag of silver. "There you go, it's done."

"I...Hrrmmm...Thank you, Sir Graven," Vishouth smiled.

"This Sslik is now in the possession of the Paladins of Tazoon. I thank you for your business."
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Default Re: Last of the Iron Fangs - Chapter 3 - Training

More more more!

Ular Naga wants more!

Great story! Keep up the good work Ssilmath!

Ular Naga

Proud "Handy Man" of the -Dark Saga-
    Unity Shard

"First i followed the light then the blight, but suddenly nature showed me the path to walk"

Good story indeed.
    Keep it up.
    Get the map pack here - Get the REAL ancient models here!
    Get White Teeth and Claws for your Dragon here!

100/100 Ancient Dragon, member of the first group of 8 to ascend to ancient on Unity.
    This sig was designed for Firefox (stupid IE still can't handle png )
    www.AncientOrder.org

cloud

very good story give us mooooooooooooooooooooooore!![:D][:D][:D][:D]

Is the 4th chaper coming soon?
    Would love to read it :)
    Ular Naga

Unity Shard

"First i followed the light then the blight, but suddenly nature showed me the path to walk"

Once I find the time and don't have all of my creative juices sapped by the tales I am weaving in two RP channels, I'll get the fourth one out
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Great Ssilmath!
    I hope u find some time soon [:D]
    Ular Naga

Unity Shard

Thread Information