Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Racial sequestered areas

Default Re: Racial sequestered areas

Quote Originally Posted by Galdethriel View Post
    And as well as that, if you think about it, bipeds -DO- have a second biped-only island other than the Spirit Isle. And that second island I made a saris and managed to get to once, it was great! So, if you think about it, dragons have two islands and so do bipeds. It's all even
    Just curious where/what this island is, because I'm coming up blank in trying to think of it.

And as well as that, if you think about it, bipeds -DO- have a second biped-only island other than the Spirit Isle. And that second island I made a saris and managed to get to once, it was great! So, if you think about it, dragons have two islands and so do bipeds. It's all even

~Galde
    Hmm, Drakul, Serenity and Aedan. Other small Islands scattered about.
    Last edited by Hoberton; February 10th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.

That's actually a really good point Soraii. X3 Drakul is really mountainous... I've never really tried to climb it, though, because I think my first visit there was when I was a new adult.

Gonna hafta get out one of my hatchies and see how difficult it is to traverse :P

~Galde

It's possible to get many places there on foot/claw... with judicious stubborness and abuse of /setscale.

However for the most part a biped is going to be hard pressed to get from the current landing pad to either the current portal or the planned portal.

Without flattening it out for bipeds, or adding portals and pads all over it, if any biped happens to go there and bind in an accessable lair, the devs will get a support ticket as likely it will be very very frustrating to get them off Drakul...

This isnt me saying no no no dont let bipeds there. And currently as per pictures in this thread they are capable of getting there with stubborness. More saying to allow bipeds will require reworking the island or they will get complaints about the island because while it will then be biped accessable... it's still not biped (or hatchie) friendly.

Took a hatchling an hour and a half to get to a spot I was, and they were abusing /setscale to do it.

Really if you are stubborn... the only truely sequestered areas in this game to the stubborn is Spirit Isle/Skaulkar/The Rift those are the only places that you will never go if you arent the right "race" to go there... well I guess you can add the old training area but it's kinda different.

So if you want to go to Drakul, go there, it's hard as heck to traverse about it without flight, and right now it's hard as heck to get there without flight/attuning to it.

*shrugs*

Soraii/Alaysar

Just curious where/what this island is, because I'm coming up blank in trying to think of it.
    Well, it's the original training island From Spirit Isle you can run there by turning down your view distance settings. No dragons can get there, only bipeds. So you effectively have Spirit Isle and that original training island too, which is actually a really interesting place.

So... that's okay, isn't it?

~Galde

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    why not use the training islands? they are already there and nothing is being done with them anyway......

but really, i am just so tired of the 'who's got more' discussion.

i have no problem with there being areas geared toward one race or another.
    dragons should have a place to go where they aren't too bothered by peds and vice versa. but in the end, its a game and there are only so many resources to be given to it.
    anything that causes more disharmony can only cause damage to the game.
    some ideas just are not feasible.

the above ideas would require new artwork, coding, design, etc......

and really, how much of a difference does it make to your game play if dragons have places only they can go? so what? peds can get everywhere they need to go to, so how are they being slighted?
    geez guys, you want immersion and reality, right? there are lots of places in rl that i can't go, and i am not requesting access to them.
    accept that life is sometimes 'unfair' in both the real world and the virtual.
    100% agreement here.

I would further like to add a bit of a question/observation: I have observed that it is an instant-flame for a dragon player to bring up cripplingly un-balanced game mechanics, such as requiring biped participation for the major dragon questlines, or the inability to procure our own food. However, is perfectly acceptable for a biped player to ***** about how "unfair" it is that dragons get a whole two things that bipeds do not, namely flying and Drakul, neither of which are destabilizing imbalances.

Why is this? I am not attempting to bring up a Dragonn-vs-biped fight here, but rather i am trying to understand why they take on the nature that they do. most of the complaints that dragon players have (and certainly all of the ones that i have pushed myself) are/can-be truly destabilizing to gameplay from the dragon point of view. Why is it that whenever these issues are spoken of, the community of biped players gets up in arms as if under siege?

There are actually ten identical original tutorial isles. Nobody should be counting them since they're not normally reachable by players.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    However, is perfectly acceptable for a biped player to ***** about how "unfair" it is ...
    Why is it that whenever these issues are spoken of, the community of biped players gets up in arms as if under siege?

I believe that 'community' is a lot smaller than you realize. There are a LOT of players who don't complain or yell 'unfair'. There are also a good many people that play dragon and biped. Please don't put all biped players in the same bakset.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

Why is this?
    I think you answered your own question. Making food and doing quests are major game systems in a game that is designed to require -or at least encourage - player interdependance. Dragons being self-sufficient is contrary to that design, and the suggestion provokes a strong response.

Bipeds asking about minor things provoke a minor response. Bipeds asking about major changes that go against the game design get the same level of response dragons do when they ask about the same kind of major changes.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I think the vacant taining areas being used for a biped only area is a great idea. Instead of the red walls, which aren't realistic, they can be guarded by really high level archers with insane range, who can shoot down any flying lizard that happens to fly to close to it. You want faction, you got it!
    I regret I have but one life to waste for Istaria!

See? that is the essence of war.
    And it started about 10000 years ago.
    RL got us.
    We still haven`t learned how and when to SHARE.
    I go out of this discussion now.
    Don`t want to offend anybody, but in my eyes its sad- and ridiculous.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

There are actually ten identical original tutorial isles. Nobody should be counting them since they're not normally reachable by players.
    Wait there's 10? *counts on fingers* New Koreala... New Vassarak... New Trismus... New something else... Skalkar... the original training island... that's 6. Where are the other 4? XD

I think the vacant taining areas being used for a biped only area is a great idea. Instead of the red walls, which aren't realistic, they can be guarded by really high level archers with insane range, who can shoot down any flying lizard that happens to fly to close to it. You want faction, you got it!
    Are you referring to New V, New K etc.? I wouldn't like that, it's unfair on the people who, biped and dragon alike, 'grew up' on those islands :/ Also, they're sometimes useful as alternative crafting stations when New Trismus has lots of players using all the resources. It's nice, too, to be able to visit and do a bit of sightseeing

So I strongly disagree with making the other training islands biped-only. It would be too upsetting for too many people and give, essentially, nothing to gameplay for bipeds other than an extra area which they might use once in a blue moon. >.< You know, seeing as how the same stuff can be gathered elsewhere in usually better locations.

Let's try to keep this from being a draggie vs. bippi (ahaha, cooey names XD ) argument. :P I generally agree though that Drakul isn't anything to be getting upset about. If any biped players would like me to fly around the island and make a video to show it all, I could do that, it'd be no problem I think Otherwise, there's only that type of herb isn't there? I'm sure there are loooooooads of dragons who'll happily gather it in mass for free

~Galde

the inability to procure our own food.
    There are many very nice sheep on Abandoned island and Cows in NT. Could it not be possible to kill and harvest them for food as a dragon? Personally its weird to eat deserts and appatizers as dragon... I rather have a big chunk of cow or sheep meat. Even though it might only lower dp for 30 minutes per 10 min. Maybe even less let that be determined by the devs...

Quote Originally Posted by Silenos View Post
    A post to keep the flaming going?
    I guess its in our genes to be jealous about the things some have and others cannot have. RL wars have started over less.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Galdethriel,

Ten identical original tutorial isles, normally not reachable by players.

These are not the New training isles of New Trismus, New Vassarak, .... Nor or they the New Tutorial isles of Spirit Isle and Skalkar.

It's as you already said, the Original Training island. There were just 10 identical ones.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

Wait there's 10? *counts on fingers* New Koreala... New Vassarak... New Trismus... New something else... Skalkar... the original training island... that's 6. Where are the other 4? XD
    No, the original tutorial islands are what is being referred to. There were ten of them designed to handle the influx of new players (since Horizons/Istaria doesn't support instancing).

The newbie islands (four - New Trismus, New Koraelia, New Vassarak, and New Brommel) are separate from the tutorial islands.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I think I remember them, they automatically "opened" when too much players where on one island, and the other new players when they created a char where transfered to that "twin island" to uncrowd the area.

Yes the game was pretty full of people in the start!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Ooooh... sorry I should have read the post better XD

Well, there's still one which bipeds can get to. It does still count!

And what a lovely island it is. I went there to learn more about the older version of Istaria.

~Galde

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    I think you answered your own question. Making food and doing quests are major game systems in a game that is designed to require -or at least encourage - player interdependance. Dragons being self-sufficient is contrary to that design, and the suggestion provokes a strong response.
    ok then, that being the case, why does it provoke such a strong response when someone suggests that the equation be balanced, and bipeds be given game-critical needs which may only be filled by dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Galem Thrawn
    I believe that 'community' is a lot smaller than you realize. There are a LOT of players who don't complain or yell 'unfair'. There are also a good many people that play dragon and biped. Please don't put all biped players in the same bakset.
    my apologies, you are correct. i should have said "The most vocal subsection of the community of biped players on these fora"

ok then, that being the case, why does it provoke such a strong response when someone suggests that the equation be balanced, and bipeds be given game-critical needs which may only be filled by dragons?
    I dunno, but I'd say it's prolly because people are used to just doing things by themselves. It's wierd really because bipeds would have less problems getting dragon help than dragons getting biped help ('cause there's more dragons), and yet dragons are needed for diddly-squat socially.

So the general rules are: dragon helps dragon, biped helps dragon. Dragon helps biped? Not really; either as team members or mules, but that's where the usefulness ends I think. We have nice buffs though. :P

Maybe there could be quests that actually require a biped and dragon team up... :O

Prolly not doable too soon though. I dunno. XD

~Galde

('cause there's more dragons)

~Galde
    No there are not more Dragons. Do a search at almost any time during play. There are approximately the same number.

Just logged on to verify: 22 players in the search, 10 Dragons - 12 Bipeds.
    Last edited by Hoberton; February 13th, 2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Confirmation of facts

We'd have to do it multiple times over a period of even intervals and get an average to verify it exactly. But there do generally tend to be more dragons running around. Especially when you're not looking at races but classes. I bet there are more dragons than confectioners, for instance. :P

~Galde

Thread Information