Thread: Tornado Night (Poem)

Default Tornado Night (Poem)

Yeah, I've been quiet to near vanished on here as of late...but after a night like last night, posting pretty well on every board I'm on, been on or ever thought to go to for the sake of nerve settling. For what has me so rattled; the poem will suffice. A bit of a 'true story' one for how this last night was just spent.

If you've never experienced a series of tornado warnings and the 'joy' of cowering in your own hallway when you'd normally be asleep listening to one siren after another go off to announce the arrival of each tornado- here y'go. A little peek into it; maybe you never know it first hand.

----

Tornado Night

Darkness closes in, pressing;
    Off somewhere distant a siren cries.
    Hands curl together, trembling;
    Breath coming only in shaky sighs.

Gentle pattering of rain belies the fact;
    Every gust of wind renews the fear;
    In the heart of one beneath the mattress stack,
    That from gust to howl they will soon hear.

Breathlessly whispered is a prayer,
    Murmured without name or direction,
    As fingers clench in sweat dampened hair,
    A plea for safety, for divine intervention.

Again and again comes the siren call,
    Harder the figure trembles in dubious safety,
    Hidden within a crowded hall,
    Wondering if tomorrow she will see.

Distance a new sound comes,
    A train's sudden, noisy wail-
    Upon the roof the rain softens its thrums;
    Once more a patter rather than hail.

Out of the cocoon does she at last creep,
    The storm gentled though still there;
    Yet late though it is, she shall not sleep;
    Only sit by the window with a frightened stare.

Default Re: Tornado Night (Poem)

Nice.

Been there, but they always seemed to got north or south of the city.

*huggly*
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

We had one go directly over us; we just got lucky and the funnel had opted to pull up by then. This area hasn't actually been hit by a tornado in roughly 40 years; then we go and got five last night. X_x; That's the only one I actually remember hearing though.

That poem seems a silly thing to've been thinking of while hiding under some mattresses but it gave me something else to think about at least. ^^;

I can't tell you how scared I am from tornados, and in Austria we don't even have them! People that decide to live in those tornado zones have my deepest respect, I would be too scared to live there and move fast away if I could.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Hey, most of us have basements.

We huddle in the southwest corner and hope for the best.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Heheh...believe me, some of us would move away if we could. That takes a degree of fortitude I'm finding myself lacking as I get older and less inclined for adventure and more for worrying.

People with basements are pretty lucky; I live in swampland so there's no basements here. Our house is sensibly constructed for the south though; the hallway is completely isolated from the outside of the house and reasonably narrow. Not like these paperthin, all-rooms-and-no-halls houses the government has been building as starter homes around here lately.

Thread Information