Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A real old timer is...

Default A real old timer is...

Given the veteran rewards discussion, I got to wondering how a real old timer would be defined. I'll start but would love additional suggestions

A real old timer deleted scads of essence of blight as a useless crafting bonus drop that took up waaaaay too much bulk...

A real old timer had to dodge werewolves, Avatar of pain, and various other nasties in order to attune to player towns (now called "settlements").

A real old timer remembers dragging resources to build Novo.

A real old timer searched for where the vielo had moved to, for broken weapon bits and pieces.

Default Re: A real old timer is...

while i only recently got a yearly sub, i was around during the beta..... and i will have to say the werewolf dodging was the one i remember most..

i mean you recalled to dalimond and bang you were dead then you recall again only to see a blur then you were dead again :P

the fact that you weren't alwys "safe" in a town/settlement was something i loved, it always reminded you that the battle is far from being over.
    "Knowing others is intelligence,knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength,Mastering yourself is true power"
    by Lao-Tzu

A real old timer didn't even have a tutorial island, and was instantly dropped to New Trismus without knowing anything!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

A real old timer remembers back before dragons had claws and when we still needed to craft a millions scales just to raise our hoard.

A real old timer remembers crafting her first Boom! spell. (I still have pieces of tutorial ore and sandstone in my vault)
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayuaka View Post
    A real old timer remembers back before dragons had claws and when we still needed to craft a millions scales just to raise our hoard.

A real old timer remembers crafting her first Boom! spell. (I still have pieces of tutorial ore and sandstone in my vault)
    OMG I remember that spell! I have that spell on my biped alt somewhere!

A real oldtimer is either immune to Zymosis Morbidae (biped) or has the spell scribed (dragon).

A real oldtimer remembers when hoard leaked and dragons could not fly.

A real oldtimer has imperial task parcels.

A real oldtimer levelled his/her first dozen or two craft levels either making items for dragon hoards in hoarding parties - or working with a biped to have them made.

A real oldtimer remembers the likes of Krankenspank and AoP as deadly enemies - not the laughingstocks they would be if they returned now as was.

A real oldtimer helped free dryads and satyrs, and build novo machines.

A real oldtimer .. ah I forget .. old age and senility is catching up with me.

This real old timer remembers...

Biped crafting parties for dragons - the dragons haul - the bipeds craft - the bipeds level - the dragon gets hoard!

Dragon crafting parties for other dragons - same process - only the hatchling dragon gets craft levels (esp. once ROP requirements came out) and the other dragons get hoard!

Gems being worth hoard!!

Runing ALLLL around Istaria to reach towns to get the portals from the NPCs outside them - individually.

More specificially, this old dragon has fond memories of the road to Harro where Kumu kept her company late at night in dragon chat while she sang Wierd Al songs to keep her occupied during the very very very long run to Harro.

When there was more than one dragon-only guild on a server...on EACH server...

When the Chiconis hills were filled with GEMS!! GEMS!! GEMSS!! And Hatchlings gathering them! (for hoard)

When the idea of a flying cargo disk...well wasn't even an idea.

The very first Dragon Bonding Ceremony...and Server wide dragon meetings...

When people would drag the AoP *to* Nadia to kill her for gouging us with those prices..

When you first found out that "non-gifted" and gifted were actually living on the same world (and it totally messed with your RP story..but you didn't change it anyway!)

When she could sit at the Chiconis portal for hours and see dozens of dragons coming and going - when it really was a central dragon town for commerce and crafting. And in those hours many dragons would stop and see the infamous original Dragon of Laze (and later on her mate) and pass a story or two...

When we would play "wack-a-hatchling" with an adult for literally hours...usually while crafting...cuz we were craft-looney

When it was fun to just gather 3-4 people and sit in a circle (again in Chiconis) doing absolutely nothing, but seeing how many people would then stop on their way to whereever, sit down in the circle, and wonder what was going on. Then they would see the trap, and continue to stay there - thereby trapping more passerbys into sitting down to be a part of "wahtever was going on" which was actually nothing more than the game itself...

Staying up till 3 or 4 in the morning so that you would be there for your fellow hatchling's Ascension to Adulthood.

Staying up till 7 in the morning to see Kumu's Ascension into Adulthood, the first on Dawn server! I still remember looking over from my computer desk and seeing sunlight coming through...

*sighs* now I'm sad...
    Last edited by Frith-Rae; February 27th, 2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: remembered more stuffs...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

... when you still have your beta invitation mail in your mailbox.

... when you remember when Luca scared all on the beta server with showing up as adult dragon.

... and when he launched a few minutes later a spider invasion on Sslanis and lagged all to death.

... when you still remember the EU beta server names, Sapphire, Ruby and Emerald.

... when Luca showed up again as giant cow and scared all AGAIN.

... when you still remember the invasion on Kion and the blighted tendrils in the dunes.

... when you ported to ML and the AoP was dancing on your corpse after the porting screen faded.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I remember one time way back when this game was still owned by Artifact when Amon showed up in the world as a giant ancient dragon. I mean giant. My little hatchling at the time was about as big as one paw.... This was way before the ARoP was put in.
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

... Someone who remembers Upper & Lower Iron, and shouts of "Keeper low and aggro!!!"

... Someone who remembers fights breaking out over copper & tin nodes on the starter isles.

... Someone who remembers why gruoks are the only animal in Istaria to drop coins.

... Someone who remembers when Sslanis was the best place in the game to do T1 crafting.

... Someone who remembers when every wisp field had at least one or two enraged ones to keep you on your toes.

... Someone who remembers when getting obsidian and cobalt meant a 10-15 minute run into the EDL, and recalling out so you could unload into your cargo disk...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post

... Someone who remembers why gruoks are the only animal in Istaria to drop coins.
    They have little belly pouches where they store their coin!

.. someone who despaired of gathering flax in the sslanis basin because of the strawblights..

.. still has the box containing the original cds of Horizons..
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

...someone who lost their Unity trial character to the Big Sleep.

No?

Okay, moving on...
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

..someone who had to go through the old tutorial island (same for dragons and bipeds alike ) and had NO idea what to do when finally found a portal to New Brommel.

..someone who remembers those xp-leeching parties on Bitter Pickle. An adult fought the group of undeads, while hatchies sat on a rock safe from danger and got all the XP. XD Oh those days.. I'm kind of glad this got changed soon after. (though I admit I was one of those hatchies.. but I was young and foolish, how could I have refused when they invited me to join the fun? o.o )

..someone who remembers adult being the biggest form of dragons.
    ( I still remember the days when AROP was released in small parts.. and when the first ancients finished their AROP on Unity.. That truly was a remarkable day my dragon was still on her 70-80'ies, so I just watched those huge draggies in awe. )
    ..someone who remembers when Drulkar's Wings was still a flying sprint ability.

And as already mentioned, no flying disks. o_o No primal health spell for dragons ( I still don't understand how I managed without it earlier! Such a neat little spell in tight battle situations. )

Gah, I started playing around March 2005, so I don't have as many "old timer"-memories as most of you peeps have.

Racia Trejan & Trica - Helians of Chaos
    Salama Lizran - Lunus of Unity --> Chaos (alive but retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    A real old timer didn't even have a tutorial island, and was instantly dropped to New Trismus without knowing anything!
    I remember the "Tutorial" being left for bipeds, right for dragons. Choose adventure class, choose profession, OK! HAVE FUN! Or something along those lines, it was aaaaaages ago.

But.. I could be wrong....

Following the theme:

...Someone who had arguments with tons of other players about killing their zombies and stealing their fingers...

...Someone who fought in parties of 6 hatchlings on the starter isles because there were not enough mobs for all the players playing...

~Sssasha PinkWing & Sssargon

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Elders and wise...

Ah, that I should speak among those truly old... but a waking or so, mayhap three I have seen...

Let still my words be but a whisper of a wind long forgotten, or if remembered, then only by those that have seen.

To be old is...

To this day to direct those that seek of Chiconis to ' the sandstone cave' or ' the bronze cave'.

To speak of 100 dwarves... and curse, and mean no ill of dwarves.

To have a seeking that ye sought most in thy list of seekings, and that to be a matter of Undead Wolves.

To confuse those who seek Yew by speaking of ' the wolf circle'.

To have run south and West of Kion.. and found no made place till the isle be run clear round and back in Kion... and one time to find that not so, and a place called Parsinia begun...

To have first bound them to a shrine that was not in all the lands of Istaria... and to have held that Binding long after they came to New Brommel and returned more times than one to that place, but never ( to their sorrow) had image set to memory...

To have run the Spiral running in a gathering of many, and that with no other there greater than 40 seasons, for those of more were rare and thrice more rare, and only such a gathering might find the base... and often even then all die.

To have seen 10 mithril bars sold for the same coin of gold.

To have seen one parchment sold for twice that coin.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing, ever... but, in some small manner, a part of that ever.

Running back and forth between the maggots and Dennison on the Dalimond docks for bounty markers.

Jump starting your new craft/adventure school with soul fragments at above mentioned NPC.

Dodged straw blights and fyakki charmers while gathering Elm in Sslanis basin and the area north of the lake of crystal tears.

If you've ever killed a steel golem.

If you've ever had to wait your turn to kill a steel, gold, or granite golem.

If you were killed by an invisible undead satyr while trying to build a Satyr Isles tunnel.

If you were ever killed by a lowly spider huntress who just happened to group with a marrow that spawned across the map.

If you've ever seen that marrow somewhere its shouldn't have been, running at full speed across the map to get to the huntress

If you've ever heard 30-40 death chimes go off simultaneously due to a Rancorous Blow.

Drev

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar View Post
    If you've ever heard 30-40 death chimes go off simultaneously due to a Rancorous Blow.
    If you remember hearing death chimes...

(Oh, yes, Drev, I well remember the aftermath of many a Rancorous Blow - and of being able to do things like empty and reload the laundry while waiting for everyone to rez and regroup for another attempt... )
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Lol, some good memories...

I recall my entire guild dragging disks of construction resources to the bridge to Lerena (on Twilight), leaving the disks there, and waiting to log in until after midnight one night late january 2004 to finish the bridge to Lerena so we could all run across and buy plots! I still have a few of those screeshots, I was lvl 20's something hatchy. Lack the guild tinkerer popped the bridge, and took off running across... only for it to blink out of existence and back again as it popped. he fell into the water and drowned! Boy was he cussing. Anyway, we saved him a nice beautiful plot there in Lerena which became our guild town (mostly, we didnt buy every single plot, nor did we touch Greyling or Dikaina). Within 30 minutes word had spread and players were rushing to Dikaina and Greyling..

Good times...

To this day to direct those that seek of Chiconis to ' the sandstone cave' or ' the bronze cave'.
    *laugh* and I would know exactly where you meant!

To speak of 100 dwarves... and curse, and mean no ill of dwarves.
    IOooh I know this one too..much to my pain and frustration!!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information