Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista Client?

Default Re: Vista Client?

Yes. But There are ways of working around it I think. Someone here knows the work around I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    I've just got to ask.. you have submitted a support ticket, right?
    Actually I haven't. I had some real problems with my new computer this weekend and I'm not willing to blame it on VI just yet.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Thanks for the help ... It is now working and I'm working on my plot

Now I will relate my experience getting this running.

I did use the Bittorrent version, and yes, it is one or more builds behind, but it will still work. The suggestion to put the game in Progam Files\Istaria is also a big help .. the 2 installers try to put things in different directories by default.

I installed the torrent version and then installed the Launcher update and ran the launcher. started fine, unchecked all the boxes, clicked play, and BLAM! Got a large error box, with the 1st line saying 'error 0 - could not find Launcher' and then a bunch of C++ code (I do believe) describing Launcher.

Only option is to close this box, can't even copy/paste from it, So I close it. I notice that the SilentPatcher is now running. Go into Task Manager and close it, it is not doing anything (0 percent of CPU). I figure WTH, let me try and rerun it, I do and low and behold the patcher starts up and starts doing a file check ... 1134 files of 55268 in size. I start yelling OH YEAH BABY!!!!

After files are done downloading patcher says 'Horizons started succesfully', and I think ok, give it a minute, but nothing, check task manager and there is nothing running. No problem, I go ahead and install the 383.1 patches in main Istaria directory, overwriting all 20 files.

Now come the fun part of restarting the launcher (drum roll please) .... everything is unchecked and it starts downloading 50 files, 25552KB, and I notice that the last one is one of the files the 383.1 had in it. Ok, the patcher just overwrote the 383.1 patches. **** now what?? Let me give this a try, I put the 383.1 files back into the Istaria directory, start the launcher and BLAM!!!! I'm back playing in my favorite land of make believe (Thank you Mr. Rogers)

And as far as the question of playing on Chaos/Order, that's what the 383.1 patches are for ... after installing those, and starting the Launcher go ahead and choose whichever toon you want to start playing again ... it's fun again, already got 2 Weaver levels and I'm very happy now

Again thanks to all the Devs for their hard work in getting a Vista out there that does work.

Ed English
    What?!?! You mean I can kill things here too?!?!
    War-85, Dru-45, Cler-20
    100s-Outfiiter, Tailor, Jeweler, Blacksmith -- others 0-87

Cool Re: Vista Client?

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Yes. But There are ways of working around it I think. Someone here knows the work around I am sure.
    This should work if memory serves me correctly...

log on to a live shard with a char you want to play as
    exit (or crash)
    copy clientprefs_launch.def somewhere safe
    patch / log on to blight
    exit
    patch with the vista client exe/dlls
    replace the clientprefs_launch.def and open it
    set requirecommandlineparams=false
    fill in the user name and password fields for login
    close (save)
    double-click istaria.exe
    profit

so well i downloaded the launcher upgrade and renamed my horizons folder to istaria but i keep getting this on play.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

I got that as well after installing the new download launcher. I also can not get to the web page to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by rizo/nawkia View Post
    so well i downloaded the launcher upgrade and renamed my horizons folder to istaria but i keep getting this on play.
    Unzip the 383.1 files into your game folder again, overwriting what's there, and you should be okay.

Dottykins/Yowler

Never heard of such a file and dont know where to find it.

War-85, Dru-45, Cler-20

No dice:/ any other ideas? ima have to try them tomorrow anywho
    Last edited by rizo/nawkia; April 7th, 2009 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rizo/nawkia View Post
    I am getting the same error, and it won't go away on Vista64 system. Had the same on my Vista Home system, but didn't show up the second time I ran it. On the Vista64 it keeps popping up ... It is showing up when hitting play on the launcher when trying to patch to Blight , so the 383.1 files haven't even been plaed into the folder yet. I did turn DEP off for Horizons.exe

Any suggestions would be usefull

Thanks
    War-85, Dru-45, Cler-20

Round three!

The client you were looking for, istaria-383.1, has been replaced. The new client is
    istaria-383.2.

Please grab a new copy, same procedure:
    1) Patch to Blight (Log in with a Blight character or create a new character on Blight)
    2) (crash when starting the non-vista compatible client)
    3) Download and unzip the above 383.2 client to your Horizons/Istaria directory
    4) Run the new launcher (launcher.exe).
    5) Log in a Blight character or create a new one.
    6) You should not end up doing another full scan.
    7) You should be able to play.

Changes since 383.1:
    - After finalizing a new character, you should go straight to the appropriate starting island; not your desktop.
    - Connection errors should immediately close the game window so you don't have to play games with alt-tab.

Reminder: The 383.2 client and the procedure to test it is very unsupported. If you are getting frustrated, are pulling out your hair, have been screaming at your computer, have thrown parts of your computer across the room, or have been having sleepless nights as a result of trying to get the test client launched, please sit back be patient. It'll get patched out soon enough... really!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Reminder: The 383.2 client and the procedure to test it is very unsupported. If you are getting frustrated, are pulling out your hair, have been screaming at your computer, have thrown parts of your computer across the room, or have been having sleepless nights as a result of trying to get the test client launched, please sit back be patient. It'll get patched out soon enough... really!
    Good advice Steelclaw. Between this effort, the multiple version of the launcher, launcher upgrade, the prior "Trouble Logging In" setup file and exactly what procedure to follow, it has become confusing. Add to that people are understandably anxious to try this on the Live shards and from what I read, have had some success, it's easy to understand that there has been some hair and sleep loss as well as projectiled computer parts.

Dottykins/Yowler

Changes since 383.1:
    - After finalizing a new character, you should go straight to the appropriate starting island; not your desktop.
    WORKS!

- Connection errors should immediately close the game window so you don't have to play games with alt-tab.
    WORKS!
    Even I hope this works with other crash types.

Congratulations to the client development team.
    *offers a fresh beer for their hard work*
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Just bought a brand new computer. Going to try to do a fresh Istaria Install tonight (I hope, otherwise it will be Friday). I really hope it will work but trying to follow this thread I indeed get confused.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Let me start by first stating....I hate firefox!!

Everything I downloaded it messed up....everything!
    Last night I downloaded Istaria with IE and it actually downloaded and installed....of course it took hours to do since I only have a 786K download. Now I get the same page of errors as the folks above. Will try the new client eventually.

One suggestion. Put a third bar on there showing progress. The top one kept changing what it was doing and the second one showed the current download portion. A third showing total completion would be greatly appreciated.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

I can not get the new launcher to work, nor log in through the web page, that's my problem I think, and if I use the launcher I end dowloading the files I replaced and can not log in. I have to wonder if the new launcher is screwing me up as it worked before.

Managed to log onto Blight following the instructions.
    Used Fridlekh´s workaround to avoid patching and logged onto Chaos just before maint.
    See you in the game after maint

Yay! I can finally post!

I have been trying to play this game for some time now. Following the instructions here I can just run the client as administator and it works everytime now (Vista64 OS)
    I am on Order I think and like running around as a hatchling. Kinda empty though ...

I just want to thank the Devs and all others for helping to get this up and running.

Thanks for the update Steelclaw.

Question: If the game is working with 383.1, should I overwrite them with the 383.2 files??

Thanks -- JB
    War-85, Dru-45, Cler-20

Thread Information