Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista Client?

Hybrid View

Default Vista Client?

I'm looking for a few people to test out a new client. There's nowhere to sign up or anything, but please, if you don't feel at all comfortable with overwriting files or tinkering around, wait until the client gets patched out to Blight. For those brave enough to test untested code that may or may not work as expected, read on!

Okay. Still here? Great! Start with a patch to Blight. Log in, then log out.

Further down this post is a link to a .zip file with an Istaria.exe and a number of .dll files. These files need to be dropped in your Istaria or Horizons directory, overwriting the older ones. It is absolutely imperative that each of the old files be overwritten. (Don't worry, a full scan will bring the old ones back.) Once the files have been extracted, use the new launcher to log in. The new launcher is called launcher.exe and is in your Istaria install folder.

If all goes well, the launcher will not perform a full scan and you will log in.

If all does not go well (especially any complaints about missing dll files or manifest problems), please open a ticket at support.istaria.com under the category of "Failure Reports" and try to include the name of the missing dll or .maura crash log if one is generated.

Once you've logged in, open the fpswindow (/window fpswindow) and verify that you're running build #383.0. Please report your successes here.

The features of the 383.0 client are identical to that of the 382.17 client on Blight. The difference is, it *should* run on Vista (and Vista 64) with no trickery involving disabling UAC, swapping system dll files around, or trying to override system dlls. If any of that has been done to get an older version of the client to run, please undo those changes before testing the new client.

The goal here is to make sure that the client will run when deployed as-is on a plain vanilla Windows install.

Velea's edit: Please read through the thread below so you're up to date with changes before trying this. Steelclaw has posted a new build of the client for testing, and in between there was feedback from those who have tried this client build that are important to know.

Customer Support: You can update all your start menu links and desktop short cut by running the Launcher Upgrade Download from this page: http://community.istaria.com/pg.php/download
    ** Make sure you run this setup against the same folder where you installed Istaria
    Last edited by Amarie Ancalimon; April 24th, 2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added link for downloading new launcher upgrade

Default Re: Vista Client?

I can't say for Windows Vista, but it works fine on Windows Seven 64-bits Beta 1 (build 7000).

Great work, guys!
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

works fine on windows 7 here too ! Congratulations, guys, you did it !!! ^_^

So does this mean the dreaded Vista compatibility doodab will soon be a thing of the past? :O

~Galde

Worked for me. 383. Just had to work on some older problem and get the patcher working, but that was not involved with the normal problems.

Yay!!!!! the client worked!!! me soo happy now!!

It's working here with my command line launcher command launcher youknowwhat.
    Launcher is still looking for horizons.exe for some strange reason, might be my customized 3years old launcher mixing up. Istaria.exe is running anyway! Nice job
    (vista64)
    Royall on Order / Royal_wind_unity, Royall on Chaos
    Dinsdag on EU-Evernight (LOTRO)

Just a side note: the client crashes while character creation once the character name is accepted. No error message, just a crash.
    This happened on Windows Seven 64-bits for me and to someone else on the 32-bits version. I haven't tried on Windows XP... yet.

Edit: same crash with Windows XP: client crashes at the end of the creation, but the character is created though.
    Last edited by Firebrand; March 28th, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Oh man you are raising my hopes so much Steelclaw haha.

Venge Sunsoar

I just got a new computer with Vista 64-bit, I hadn't made any changes to anything to get the game working, I just installed the game, overwrote the files in the zip and run the launcher as admin and it works every time! Amazing!
    I have a laptop with Vista 32-bit that I've tried everything in the forums to get the game to work on, even this "fix" doesn't get it going. I'll have to keep working on it. But I thought I'd NEVER get it to work on the new computer! Great job and THANKS!

Prinn

Quote Originally Posted by Prinn View Post
    I just got a new computer with Vista 64-bit, I hadn't made any changes to anything to get the game working, I just installed the game, overwrote the files in the zip and run the launcher as admin and it works every time! Amazing!
    I have a laptop with Vista 32-bit that I've tried everything in the forums to get the game to work on, even this "fix" doesn't get it going. I'll have to keep working on it. But I thought I'd NEVER get it to work on the new computer! Great job and THANKS!

Prinn
    Have you rebooted? Because most people can install it and play. It's after shutting down your computer and then starting it up again people are having problems.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Round two!

The 383.0 zip file has been removed!

Don't panic! There's a 383.1 zip file in its place! Same procedure: patch to Blight, unzip the above file in your Horizons/Istaria directory and overwrite the existing files.

/window fpswindow
    should show build number 383.1

Please test the following: (Of course, not everyone can test all cases; just test the ones that apply to you.)
    * Client runs on XP.
    * Client runs on XP 64.
    * Client runs on Vista 32.
    * Client runs on Vista 64.
    * Creating a new character loads the new character on its respective training island; the client does not crash or exit unexpectedly after registering a character name. (Hint: Characters on Blight do not count against your character slot limit)
    * Continues to run on Vista even after a reboot or two.
    * Client runs with DEP enabled for all applications, not just Windows ones.
    * Client does not need extra DLLs (If you had to copy some other DLLs to your Horizons/Istaria directory to make the client run, please list them here).

Would be nice to know:
    * Runs on Linux + wine
    * Runs on older versions of Windows
    * Runs on newer versions of Windows

Known issues:
    * .NET patcher can cause IE to crash in Vista - use non-.NET patcher or standalone launcher (launcher.exe). This actually has nothing to do with the istaria.exe client, but I did run in to this problem while trying to patch.

Oh wow, I am so excited!!! Thank you so much.. I have been unable to play for about a year now ( since I got my new computer vista 64 bit). But every few months I check the forums. I am so happy to think that I may be able to play again...

I am not all that bright when it comes to computers so I will prob wait till it goes live but I am so happy and wanted to tell you just how thankful I am..

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Round two!

The 383.0 zip file has been removed!

Don't panic! There's a 383.1 zip file in its place! Same procedure: patch to Blight, unzip the above file in your Horizons/Istaria directory and overwrite the existing files.

I did that. Now the programm told me it could not find horizons.exe so it could not start. What can i do now?
    Kharuum / Caramia Unity
    Whenever an Optimist sees a ligth which isnt really there, there allways is an pesimist who blows it out.
    Giovanni Guareschi

Red face Re: Vista Client?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Same procedure: patch to Blight, unzip the above file in your Horizons/Istaria directory and overwrite the existing files.

Stupid question, I know, but how do i patch to blight? is blight another word for live? or is blight the test server?

Also, if this works, ill boot up my ubuntu 64 bit and run it under cedega and wine and report back too.

I tried the vista side of my computer, and for the first time, i had no problems at all i logged into blight, I am not a computer buff or know very much about programs but whatever you did to fix my vista ultima side of my computer it works like a charm, i got into blight and ported and moved around just had to put my chat choice back and my spellbars other then that it worked great.

I am a computer dummy also female of age 70 so i guess you really fixed it this time heheheh.

Lillyjo_chaos server

Oh please, please fix Vista on normal servers!

I have no problems with Vista now on test server but my dragon from long time ago is on Order!!!

Can't wait for this fix i miss Horizons... eerrhhmm... Istaria!!!

Is it soup yet?
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

No, it is still to bugged and causes too much crashes on Blight still.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Got it up and running on Windows 7 64bit. Just as described, patched up to Blight then added those files to the games dir. I was able to create a character just fine. The only issue I encountered was after I finished creating the character the Windows 7 firewall box flashed up asking to give Istaria permission which made the game be windowed and minimized and I couldn't reopen the window so I had to restart the game,but I logged in with the character I'd created just fine on Blight after that. I didn't do anything to DEP either. Nice work guys!

Thread Information