Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista Client?

Default Re: Vista Client?

One question about 383: Does this include the terrain rendering changes in 382? If so, has this gotten stable enough to release as a whole package? If not, is there a 381 + vista fix build?

Drev

Quote Originally Posted by belgar View Post
    I share the confusion. How do you "patch to Blight"?

I had a character on Blight but cannot log in to him.

I don't have "launcher.exe". Found "Horizonslauncher.exe" but I read elsewhere that it's not right. And, it doesn't work!
    When you try to log into Blight, it'll download the patch so your game will be the same version that's running there. Among the files in the patch is launcher.exe, the new launcher which is not to be confused with the old Horizonslauncher.exe. The game will still immediately crash once it attempts to load after patching, but you'll be all patched up by then.

Default Re: Vista Client? Extended Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Round two!

The 383.0 zip file has been removed!

Don't panic! There's a 383.1 zip file in its place! Same procedure: patch to Blight, unzip the above file in your Horizons/Istaria directory and overwrite the existing files.

/window fpswindow
    should show build number 383.1

Please test the following: (Of course, not everyone can test all cases; just test the ones that apply to you.)
    * Client runs on XP.
    * Client runs on XP 64.
    * Client runs on Vista 32.
    * Client runs on Vista 64..
    NOTE: Please keep in mind that I have two monitors with an extended desktop, so each screen shot

I have a triple boot system and I run the following, with EACH of them on a PHYSICAL separate hard drive; all on the same system, which in this extended test, I will be testing these changes in all three operating systems.

So in the end I have three hard drives and each one of them with a different operating system and they are...

First hard drive -Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
    Second hard drive - Windows XP Pro 32 bit
    Third Hard drive – Windows 7 64 bit.

Now It is note worthy to say I installed Istaria directory is on First hard drive and I simply created a shortcut to the launcher, so no matter which OS I’m running it from, I am accessing it on the same place, using a shortcut.

OK, now for the results…
    Under doing the directions above I have the following results…

Under Windows XP Pro 32 bit – I have logged in successfully with no problems with my character copy “Rye_Order� on Blight and so far it works great.
    Next I have logged out and tried to use the launcher again to create a new character called “RyeWINxpTEST� on blight. So far when I hit “create� after customizing the character a bit, the game closes without warning or any kind of error message. But When I used the launcher again to try to log on again, I noticed that my new character has been created and using the launcher I was able to log into that new character with no problems and I’m on the correct tutorial island. So besides the game closing down without warning, after I hit the create button in the customization of the character and after giving it a name. I have rebooted once after logout and tried to re-logon to that new character and it appears that it is still a complete success!

OK now for The dreaded Vista test (In my case 64 bit Vista) - I logged into Windows Vista 64 bit and created a shortcut to the launcher.

I have logged into my "Rye_order" blight login and I have gotten in with no problems.
    I was only prompted by my windows firewall to ask if I wanted to allow it or not and of course I hit allow and went on.
    Now below is a screen shot I took of my desktop at the time I was running Istaria under windows Vista 64 bit...

OK Now from what I have heard on these forums is how people got it to run under vista once and after a reboot, they were no longer able to get back in.
    So, knowing this I decided to logout and reboot and THEN try to log in again. I will also create a new character on blight after the reboot.

So I rebooted and the results are as follows...

After logging to Windows Vista 64 bit after the reboot, I launched the program using the Launcher shortcut.

I then logged into Blight under my Character "Rye_Order" and no problems yet again!
    I was only prompted by my windows firewall to ask if I wanted to allow it or not, of course I hit allow and went on.

OK, so now I logged out and went into the launcher to create a new character on blight.
    I named the character "RyeVISTAtest" and just like in Windows XP, the game as closed out without warning or errors.

However, when I went back into that launcher I can see that my new characters have been made.

Below is a screen shot of the event...

Now the end result is that it works on Windows Vista 64 bit when creating a new characters and logging onto my old one and new ones.
    The only problem is the same as windows XP; it closes down after hitting the create button after giving the characters a new name.
    But the characters were still created in the end and I was able to log onto it.

So the end result here is running this game under Windows vista 64 bit is a success, if you don't count that one bug.
    For Windows 7 64 bit BETA Build 7000 - I have Just mad another shortcut to the launcher from the main directory and put it on my desktop on Windows 7.
    I have used the launcher and logged in under my blight character "Rye_Order" and everything went fine. However I might want to add that some people, who have security software, may need to either disable it or "allow" Istria to launch.

So, now I rebooted my computer and logged into Windows 7 again, for this time I went to create a characters called "RyeWINDOWsSeventest".
    There was a prompt to allow Istaria to run or not, of course I hit "allow".

Now after I have hit create, after giving my characters that name, the game closed down without warning.
    This problem appears to be the same no matter What Operating system Istaria is being run under, now moving on.

I used the launcher to see if my character has been made and it has indeed been made. So I log onto my characters "RyeWINDOWsSeven" and I ran into no problems.
    So the end result is that I was able to log on to and create new characters in Windows 7 64 bit BETA Build 7000.
    The following is a screen shot I took below, while in Windows 7…

END SUMMERY ---------------------

Windows XP Pro 32-bit I can create and log on to my characters. Game only closes down after new characters creation, but still creates the characters and I'm able to log in.
    Windows VISTA 64-bit - I can create and log on to my characters. Game only closes down after new characters creation, but still creates the characters and I'm able to log in.
    Windows 7 64-bit BETA - I can create and log on to my characters. Game only closes down after new characters creation, but still creates the characters and I'm able to log in.
    The final result is that I am able to have Istaria work under any of these three Operating systems on the same computer!

Perhaps we have solved the problem for Istaria! Also I hope this extended testing on my part has help you developers out there and anyone else who is wondering if it will work.

Thanks for doing the testing everyone! Indeed, the results have been useful and promising.

So far, it sounds like the only bug keeping this client from hitting Blight is this one, which was supposed to be fixed in 383.1:

Quote Originally Posted by Rye_Dimar_Dragon View Post
    Windows XP Pro 32-bit I can create and log on to my characters. Game only closes down after new characters creation, but still creates the characters and I'm able to log in.
    First, thanks for your extensive testing. That information is exactly what is needed. My first question is: Are you using the dlls that came in the 383.1 zip file? They're exactly the same size as the ones in the 383.0 zip file, but their contents are different. Of interest is pt_lib.dll.

md5sum of the OLD dll: (this one causes the unexpected close on character creation)
    d597fd3b8ca65973973844be6e61b3ac pt_lib.dll

md5sum of the NEW dll: (this one addresses the crash)
    613c3b4d8fd479606f33dc3508a584e6 pt_lib.dll

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar
    One question about 383: Does this include the terrain rendering changes in 382? If so, has this gotten stable enough to release as a whole package? If not, is there a 381 + vista fix build?
    The 383 client is based off of 382.17, with a couple of fixes for crashes that occur when loading a sector takes a little too long. Hopefully 383.1 is as stable for you as it has been for me.

I share the confusion. How do you "patch to Blight"?
    That just means try to create a new character on Blight, or attempt to log in as one of your existing Blight characters. The patcher (from the web or standalone) will download and patch your client files to the set used on Blight.

... My first question is: Are you using the dlls that came in the 383.1 zip file? They're exactly the same size as the ones in the 383.0 zip file, but their contents are different. Of interest is pt_lib.dll.

md5sum of the OLD dll: (this one causes the unexpected close on character creation)

613c3b4d8fd479606f33dc3508a584e6 pt_lib.dll.
    I only tried this with 383.1 but I did double check and my md5sum matches what you've posted for pt_lib.dll and it did crash right after the character name was accepted but did create the character.

Unhappy Re: Vista Client?

OK I have been working on this thing for hours ... no go.
    So far here is what I have done.

1. Complete reinstall of Istaria
    2. Downloaded and installed the root.zip
    3. Ran the launcher.exe and tried to create a new char. on the blight shard.
    - It errors out with an error that says "One or more files failed to patch, please run the patcher again.", it will not run the char. creation either, It just dies and I have to open task mgr and end SilentPatchet.exe manually.
    4. at this point, I installed the 383.1.zip and tried tried to create a new char. on the blight shard... again.
    - It errors out (again) with an error that says "One or more files failed to patch, please run the patcher again.", it will not run the char. creation either, It just dies and I have to open task mgr and end SilentPatchet.exe manually.
    - Now at this point, if i try to login to one of my current chars. (on the order shard) it patches (35+files, it is still patching right now so I assume it is overwriting everything I have done so far) even though I have made sure to uncheck the option to do a full scan.

What am I doing wrong?
    Can someone write up a step by step guide on exactly what I do in what order?

Anyway I am going to bed, its 2300 here and I am getting ticked off and tired. I will work on it some more tomorrow.

Sorry to be annoying, but when I click 'login' after selecting my character on Blight, I get this error message:

I'm not sure what to do about this.

This is on a laptop running Vista 32. It hasn't run the game before. I installed the game from the original discs and then used the istaria-383.1.zip file to patch the new files in.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Post Re: Vista Client? Extended Testing

Thanks for doing the testing everyone! Indeed, the results have been useful and promising.

So far, it sounds like the only bug keeping this client from hitting Blight is this one, which was supposed to be fixed in 383.1:

First, thanks for your extensive testing. That information is exactly what is needed. My first question is: Are you using the dlls that came in the 383.1 zip file? They're exactly the same size as the ones in the 383.0 zip file, but their contents are different. Of interest is pt_lib.dll.

To answer your question; YES I have only used dlls from the 383.1 ZIP. I have copied and then pasted these dlls and the istaria.exe that was in the 383.1 ZIP into Istaria directory after I logged into blight and let it patch up. Nothing else was needed, if you don't count that windows firewall popup and on windows 7 I had security software interfere with the launch.

So if you have any more specific problems for me to test out, then don't hesitate to ask, After all I copied my character to blight to help out with your testing. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Rye/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

I would try to run the thing in a virtual machine for older versions of windows, but virtual machines at this time (at least the ones I use) don't support games being run on them.
    Also, I'm sorry for some of the typos in my extended testing post, next time I'll have to proof read it, before posting, since the edit button was disabled at the time.

Also I have to ask, I noticed from the reports that the FPS window shows the on every OS I run, the FPS runs between 18.0 to 10 Frames Per second. Now would there be any plans to improve the FPS in the future, since I notice when I get lag, monsters don't show up until 4 minutes later and I'm surrounded by them. Just wondering, if that is the cause of this.
    Last edited by Rye_Dimar_Dragon; April 4th, 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Having taken a few tries to get it working (finally figured out the patcher was set for full scans every time), I finally got 383.1 up and running. Only played around for a little bit, but besides the known character creation crash, the client seems to run quite well. I can't wait for this to finally make it live after about over a year and a half waiting on this.

This was on a fresh install of Horizons on my 32-bit Vista Ultimate version. (no DEP work-around) One thing to note for anyone who tries this, after I did the initial full patch and Istaria.exe supposedly stops working, you may have to go into task manager, process tab, and force Istaria.exe to shut down before you can copy files from the 383.1 zip.
    Last edited by zakram; April 4th, 2009 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phreekbird View Post
    OK I have been working on this thing for hours ... no go.
    So far here is what I have done.

1. Complete reinstall of Istaria
    2. Downloaded and installed the root.zip
    3. Ran the launcher.exe and tried to create a new char. on the blight shard.
    - It errors out with an error that says "One or more files failed to patch, please run the patcher again.", it will not run the char. creation either, It just dies and I have to open task mgr and end SilentPatchet.exe manually.
    4. at this point, I installed the 383.1.zip and tried tried to create a new char. on the blight shard... again.
    - It errors out (again) with an error that says "One or more files failed to patch, please run the patcher again.", it will not run the char. creation either, It just dies and I have to open task mgr and end SilentPatchet.exe manually.
    - Now at this point, if i try to login to one of my current chars. (on the order shard) it patches (35+files, it is still patching right now so I assume it is overwriting everything I have done so far) even though I have made sure to uncheck the option to do a full scan.

What am I doing wrong?
    Can someone write up a step by step guide on exactly what I do in what order?

Anyway I am going to bed, its 2300 here and I am getting ticked off and tired. I will work on it some more tomorrow.
    Remember to log in Blight or create a new character on Blight FIRST, then log out, then unzip the 383.1 package in the Istaria folder replacing the old files, then use launcher.exe to launch your characters.

The game crashes after character creation for me as well (Windows XP 32-bits) with v383.1 and I use the right pt_lib.dll.

On a side note, the client has got a wrong behavior after crash during a game since v382.17. See ticket CLX-46754-592.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

A quick summary for anyone reading this thread.

Known Issues
    Creating a new character works, but the game needs to be restarted after completing the character creation. The game will crash after you've passed the Character Create window and tried to log in. This is a known issue that our programmers are working on fixing.

Proper Procedure
    There's a great deal of confusion happening with the procedure for starting the game with the beta fix. Here's the things you need to know.

1) You must be using the new Launcher.exe to start the game. You can download a specialized setup that ensure you're launcher is up to date, and will recreate your desktop shortcut and start menu. Click Launcher Upgrade Download on this page:
    New Launcher

2) You must have the latest Blight build. You do not have to log in successfully all the way to Blight with a character. You just have to have a character there and run the patcher once.

3) After patching to Blight, you need to make sure your Patcher Options in the new launcher are set to NOT scan. In the same window that you would select your character from, there is a Patcher Options button. Click on that to bring up the Options and "uncheck" Full Scan.

4) Install the Vista beta fix. Run the Launcher again. IF YOU SCAN AT ALL, the game will not launch. Scanning and updating files overwrites what is needed to make the Vista fix work.

So the routine for getting this to work is:

Use Launcher.exe; Patch Blight; Install Vista fix; DO NOT SCAN

Hope that helps.

Thanks Lady V. It's nice to see a Launcher Upgrade has been added to the download page. That, along with your concise clarification, should make things easier ... I was a little concerned that disabling the new Launcher's Full Scan option was not emphasized clearly enough.

I also wanted to add that I've installed the game and fix on another machine running Vista to verify something regarding the character creation that I noticed, and thought odd, earlier. For what it's worth, when a new character is created an additional prefs entry is added along with the character just created. It does not show up on the character selection screen but it remains in the prefs folder even after a reboot. The naming convention (taken from 2 different PC'S) is as follows:

blight_Player_4122339
    blight_Player_4042903

The new installation worked just fine with the minor inconvenience of the crash after char creation. It also confirmed to me that the "phantom" entity I saw in my prefs folder was not a fluke. `Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Dottykins/Yowler

Unhappy Re: Vista Client? Extended Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    A quick summary for anyone reading this thread.

1) You must be using the new Launcher.exe to start the game. You can download a specialized setup that ensure you're launcher is up to date, and will recreate your desktop shortcut and start menu. Click Launcher Upgrade Download on this page:
    New Launcher
    LOL, I start with a fresh install, download and install the new launcher (making sure to put it into the proper directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Virtrium\Horizons\ instead of the default dir.) and run the shortcut on the desktop.

I have done this 3 times now, and this is what i get each time.

If i click no, it closes, if I click yes, it tries to download a new patch, and when i log it, again, it gives me the same error.

EDIT: I am running Vista Home Premium 64bit ... maybe i should have mentioned that b4, but everyone else seems to be able to get this going...

Whatever image you tried to put up on that post is not showing up.

You should not be patching after you have installed the Vista fix, though. If you are, it means that you must still have "Full Scan" patched in your patcher options.

Unhappy Re: Vista Client?

my point is i cant patch at all, as soon as i install the fresh copy, then install the new launcher, I cannot patch, it just keeps giving me the error that says I need to download another copy of the launcher.

At any rate, I am going to wipe my machine and start with a fresh copy of vista adn see if that helps.

I doubt you need to reinstall Vista.

Have you tried unchecking the .NET patcher as well?

Are you certain that there isn't an antivirus or firewall blocking the patcher? http://support.istaria.com/support-c...&mod_id=2&id=2

Have you tried to reset your silentpatcher? http://support.istaria.com/support-c...mod_id=2&id=53

There are a number of articles in the Knowledge Base abut how to troubleshoot through when the game won't patch as well.

If you haven't done so already, please submit a support ticket too so that we can work with you more closely to make sure there are no issues with your account itself.

Default Re: Vista Client? Off Topic, sorta.

[OT] For various reasons, one of the most inspiring threads ever. [/OT]

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    I doubt you need to reinstall Vista.

Have you tried unchecking the .NET patcher as well?

Are you certain that there isn't an antivirus or firewall blocking the patcher? http://support.istaria.com/support-c...&mod_id=2&id=2

Have you tried to reset your silentpatcher? http://support.istaria.com/support-c...mod_id=2&id=53

There are a number of articles in the Knowledge Base abut how to troubleshoot through when the game won't patch as well.

If you haven't done so already, please submit a support ticket too so that we can work with you more closely to make sure there are no issues with your account itself.
    Fresh vista home premium 64bit install.
    Installed device drivers and avast antivirus.
    Set "C:\Program Files (x86)\Virtrium" as an exclusion in Avast.

The only way to patch at all is to make sure i have .Net unchecked and run the patcher from IE.

I then added the new Launcher.

Same thing, it keeps telling me I need to reinstall the launcher.

UPDATE: went to IE and ran the patcher (unchecked .net and ran it) it didn't work.
    Last edited by phreekbird; April 4th, 2009 at 11:29 PM.

---------------------------
    Istaria Setup
    Could not download istaria_launcher_manifest.txt - skipping file and will use patcher to download files later.
    OK

After I download the launcher and try to install I get the above message after the first few screens.

Istaria Setup
    Installation Complete
    Do you want to clean up any install files that were downloaded during the setup of Istaria?

(You can delete these files manually by deleting the folder:
    C:\Program Files\Istaria\install)
    Yes No

Then tells me its completed install.

[Window Title]
    C:\Program Files\Istaria\Launcher.exe

[Content]
    Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Istaria\Launcher.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

[OK]
    When I try to start the launcher
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Thread Information