Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Launcher Problem

Default Re: Launcher Problem

Hellenia - you still get this after following the instructions here?

http://support.istaria.com/support-c...mod_id=2&id=77

i finly got in .. by uesing the web log in had to unchack .net . . "read about that in a nother post . . havent tryed the new one yet .. i well twomarrow
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

Default Using the Launcher

I've been trying to start using the new launcher doodab as the devs ask but have a little problem: the thing takes about 20 minutes to start the game up because it goes through and scans every file very veeery sloooowly. XD

Is there any way to stop it doing this?

~Galde

Default Re: Using the Launcher

It sounds as though you are leaving "Full Scan" on every time.

In your Patcher Options on the same screen as you would select a character, you can de-select "Full Scan".

Oh, thanks Velea.

~Galde

I made another test with the installer/launcher.

Here is the context: I formatted my Windows Seven partition and installed a fresh copy of Windows Seven 64-bits, build 7077 (the latest I think). There are an administrator account, Firebrand, and a standard user account, Istaria.
    No other addition to the operating system except 2 automatic recommanded updates (a sound card driver and another minor update) installed while logging first to administrator account.

I chosed to install the game as a standard user to check if I could have some problems I couldn't see as administrator.

I downloaded the game installer, setup.exe, and launched it. An administrator authorization was required but that was expected as I was a standard user. I chose the default folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria) for the installation and just waited it finished.

All seems to go right so far and the installation eventually finished properly... but wait... where are my shortcuts?

+

http://dragonnoir.planetemu.net/fire...l_report02.png

I looked at the installation logs... mmmh, it seems they were added to the administrator desktop, Firebrand's account. I need to check this later.
    I clicked on "Close" and get a new error warning:

Uh, OK... I chose to reinstall with recommanded settings. Good thing I didn't delete the installation files. This time, no error message after installation.

I checked first the administrator account. Ah ok, here are the shortcuts.

NB: suggestion: add a "Create an Account" shortcut to the desktop.

Back to the standard user account. As I didn't have shorcut, I went directly to the game folder to find Launcher.exe. I used it and got a error window with this message.

Code:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Istaria\Launcher\LauncherPrefs.lopt' because it is being used by another process.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
       at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)
       at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
       at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append)
       at System.IO.File.CreateText(String path)
       at IstariaLauncher.LoadPrefs.SaveData(String FileName)
       at IstariaLauncher.update.SaveData()
       at IstariaLauncher.update.loadCharacters()
       at IstariaLauncher.update.getChars()
       at IstariaLauncher.update.ShowPage(Int32 aPage)
       at IstariaLauncher.update.btnNewsGo_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4918 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Launcher
        Assembly Version: 1.8.0.0
        Win32 Version: 1.8.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Istaria/Launcher.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Web.Services
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Data
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    haxm4ut1
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.
    OK, that was a bit expected as I didn't install .NET FrameWorks 1.1.

Nevertheless, I chose to install the game again in another folder (I will tell why later): C:\Istaria. Same error.

Time to log in as administrator and install .NET FrameWorks 1.1. Once it was done, I was back to the standard user account.

I checked first the default folder installation. It worked better as I could go to my characters window. But as I chosed my Blight character, I got a new error window.

Code:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\Launcher\SilentPatcher.exe" is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
       at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
       at IstariaLauncher.CopyPatcher.IsPatcherInstalled()
       at IstariaLauncher.update.DoPatch(patchStruct info)
       at IstariaLauncher.update.ShowPage(Int32 aPage)
       at IstariaLauncher.update.btnNewsGo_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
        Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
    System
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
    Launcher
        Win32 Version: 1.8.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Istaria/Launcher.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
    System.Web.Services
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.web.services/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.web.services.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
    System.Data
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.data/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.data.dll
    System.Web
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.web/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.web.dll
    rpvnhxfc
        Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
    application or machine (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
    rather than being handled by this dialog.
    OK, a denied access. I guess Program Files (x86) is protected somehow. Changing permissions to the Istaria folder didn't fix anything.

Let's check the C:\Istaria folder. That's why I installed it there: it's not as protected as the Program Files (x86) folder. I can access my characters window again, but as I choice my Blight character, I got this.

Oh, come on! What's that again? I just installed the game, the launcher should be up to date.
    OK, let's download this launcher upgrade. I installed it and tried again. When I chosed my Blight character, a administrator authorization was required. That looked better, and it was expected as I was a standard user. I entered the pasword, and....

Bingo, it patched!

After patching, game was playable.

Conclusion:

So far, the client seems to work well on Windows Seven (and Vista too I guess), but the installer/launcher/patcher thing still needs some love.

For Vista users who would want to test, but are not able to launch the game, maybe there are here some clue to try to make it work better:
    - install .NET FrameWorks 1.1 (already confirmed by Steelclaw): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-034d1e7cf3a3
    - install on a administrator account to have your shortcuts on your desktop and your Start menu
    - install the game in another place than Program Files
    - update your launcher with the launcher upgrade, setup_launcher.exe
    - stay cool!

I hope this little experiment can help with the problems, but at the moment, it's not very user friendly for Vista/Seven users.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

no maybe not, fire, but once i got it all patched up, it was much better than all the sacrifices to the reboot gods!
    very happy you finally got home at least enough to wait with us for the total fix!

so far, the new launcher system is working fine for me, even after reboots/shutdowns.
    so i am doing well with it and found the instructions clear and easy to follow......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Hehe, I haven't got problem myself to play as I'm still under Windows XP (so don't need any fix so far, playing and enjoying the game daily ), but I made a dual boot with Windows Seven to satisfy my curiosity about this OS and do some tests.

My goal was to take the point of view from a new/returning player who needed to fully reinstall the game. This is just a bug report with an experimental context (fresh install, nothing set or installed). I beleive these kinds of players should not need geek tendancies: just create/activate a account and click Next => Next => Next => Play Istaria to play the game without caring about anything else. And what I have witnessed is not that smooth at the moment.
    This report tries to point where it was not smooth for me, I just hope it's clear enough.

It's one test on one specific system and environment; others can have a different experience.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Okay, have another problem D:

I can't remember what I did differently last time, but this time I get the error favoran screenshotted earlier in the thread. Replies to his have flown right over my head, and I tried to do as the support site said but can't because my computer for some reason says I don't have permission. :/

Also, wait, I've confused myself even more. Which launcher, exactly, is the one we're meant to be using? The one just called Launcher gives me the error but the one called HorizonsLauncher works, but insists on scanning everything even though I've told it not to.

I am so bad with computers ;_;

~Galde
    Last edited by Galdethriel; April 16th, 2009 at 11:13 AM.

Thread Information