Thread: California sucks

Default California sucks

so...i get a paper in the mail today that states i owe the state of California $450 for the 2005 tax year. the thing is, i was never ever in california for 2005, let alone being a legal resident of cali to pay taxes. i tried calling the california tax board, but they said "were not taking phone calls". i am not paying that. i can't. so...what are my options? hiring a tax lawyer, and paying 450 anyway? or just contact my National Guard unit for options, or talk with the cali tax board directly?

and my line of thinking is that in the Army, you pay state taxes for your Home of record, not where you currently are stationed at. am i right?

california is broke, and is trying to screw anyone and everyone that set foot in california.

Default Re: California sucks

Romirez,

It's been a while, but I was stationed in California for a couple years as well. My home of record was Alaska and I wasn't required to pay CA taxes... though they get you with sales tax.

I'm assuming you were sent to CA for your 2-weeks per year thing or something similiar. As far as I know...unless you did something to indicate a change of residence (CA Driver's License, registered to vote), you shouldn't be liable for any CA Taxes.

If i were you, send a certified letter w/ return receipt to the tax board showing them documentation of your home of residence plus any orders that sent you to CA in the first place and that you are contesting the bill.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

See if you can get help through your employer. If they're big enough, they have the resources to help you, otherwise you get told to shove off -- but at least it's free.

When dealing with this sort of issue, I would suggest certified mail (with return receipt) or in person as a communication medium (with the end result being a peice of paper with someone's name on it). It's easy to shrug responsibility for what was said over phone calls and email.

Just saw Aaelefein's reply. Is someone watching me? >.>
    Last edited by Steelclaw; April 13th, 2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Tinfoil hat!

my Driver liscense was obtained in Ohio. i was sent to california for 2 years, active duty army. my home of record was, and has always been, Ohio. as such, i was required to pay Ohio taxes. the only thing i did was register my 1998 mustang in california, and i did that legally, and i paid vehicle sales tax upon registering. i have no idea why i owe so much money. i didn't do anything. i paid all my taxes on time and legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    the only thing i did was register my 1998 mustang in california, and i did that legally, and i paid vehicle sales tax upon registering. i have no idea why i owe so much money. i didn't do anything. i paid all my taxes on time and legally.
    This was probably your mistake. To register a vehicle in California you had to have an address in California to register it. California would then assume you are living there instead of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    my Driver liscense was obtained in Ohio. i was sent to california for 2 years, active duty army. my home of record was, and has always been, Ohio. as such, i was required to pay Ohio taxes. the only thing i did was register my 1998 mustang in california, and i did that legally, and i paid vehicle sales tax upon registering. i have no idea why i owe so much money. i didn't do anything. i paid all my taxes on time and legally.
    Looks like Arnold is attempting to X2 dip lol

All joking aside , i would Prefer a direct approach and contact the the state and Provide documentation. Also try explaining this issue to your local jag officer he might help cut throw the Miles of red tape
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Romirez,

Whether you are still in the military or not, Lightning Claw had a good idea in contacting your local JAG officer.

Registering a vehicle sholdn't make a difference. I did the same thing when stationed in Massachusetts...paid state taxes on the vehicle and MA plates, but it had no affect on my home of record and I wasn't required to pay state taxes either.

I will however say...from everything I've heard, California is notorious for trying to get tax money out of people even when it isn't required. While $450 seems like a a tidy sum, they probably figure most people will go ahead and pay it rather than go through the hassle of contesting it. It is one of the reasons when I left the Navy I didn't stay in CA because of their tax system.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

I'm sorry you're having trouble. I have only been to CA once, and I did a few legal sales there at a convention (I had a CA temp seller's permit) and promptly paid the sales tax I owed.
    The deposited my check and I have a printout here of the scan of the deposit into their accounts.

Last week I got a letter telling me that I never paid, and that I owed all sorts of late fees and interest on top of the actual tax I owed. It was a nightmare to try and get a hold of someone on the phone to help me correct their obvious error; my phone company will be pleased for all the hours I spent on the phone trying to get it resolved. Finally I got someone to admit it was a mistake, and they had records that I had not only paid in full but on time, but there was no one with the 'authority' to fix it! Exceedingly frustrating... I feel your pain.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Thread Information