Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bristugo connie dead on Chaos

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Bristugo connie dead on Chaos

hard for me to weigh in on this situation (for which i am sure many are more than happy! ) -
    on the one hand - if you are peacefully crafting and head to brist only to get killed, that's a real pain in the unmentionable. especially if there is no notice or god intervention. especially especially if it was done as a sick 'joke' and the perps publically announce their intentions of repeating the 'joke'......

however......
    as steel points out, the gifted are at war. it doesn't now, and never really did, make sense to me that the wa does not invade more gifted territory more often - would certainly give the epic levels something to do! especially places like harro and the novo/observatory pennisula with the wa literally in their back yard. peeps with plots out in those places should expect an uphill battle to maintain their property - walls and gates and portcullis, o my!

i don't have a problem with a group being chased to brist or any other town by the wa. i expect it, to be honest.
    i would have a problem with a group of peeps who deliberately invite the wa in......in my book, that is called treason!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw
    If having epic mobs dragged to Bristugo happened more frequently, I could see some problem with the practice. Similarly, if the consigner was killed with the intent of resetting its permissions, I could also see a problem with that.
    I guess you missed the part where the instigators stated publicly that they planned to do the same thing a day later.

Though, seeing an epic mob in Bristugo is very uncommon. The permissions on a consigner getting reset isn't a well-known consequence of the consigner dying, so I'm inclined to believe that result wasn't intended. I'm more amused that some people went through the trouble to drag Fafnir all the way over and managed to pull it off.
    Several of those that were involved in this attempt, were the same that participated in the last attempt, where the connie was also killed, quite a number of players were upset, the owner resubbed her account so that she'd be able to log in and reset the permissions on the connie. You also opened up your connie temporarily so that players would be able to still put up their wares for sale in Bristugo.
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17723
    Had I been there and died, I'd deal with it -- either recall, or wait for the fight to finish. One death point is no big deal, two aren't a big deal either. Even as a low-level player I'd find the /rare/ experience fascinating. But would I be upset? No. "Ain't no big thing!"

I don't see what the big deal is. Yeah, people got a few unexpected death points, yeah, it "interrupted" their plans, but seeing an epic mob in a peaceful area doesn't happen on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis. Death points go away with food, XP wasn't lost, any coin lost from re-consigning items is minimal, and the consigner isn't critical to the survival of the economy. Now consider that on a daily basis, almost all death points are unexpected, plans get interrupted, and a similar amount of coin is "spent" by taking expensive teleporter routes and being generous, but how many players shrug and go on? How many of them actually enjoy that "disruption"?
    That is your opinion, there are players that feel differently and it was a disruption to our normal activities. It is easy for players that have coin to dismiss a few hundred coppers here and there, not to mention having to spend additional coin on food for any death points they did not choose to risk. There are other players that do have to watch their coin carefully and yet this is something I see over and over again, a lack of concern for players that are in this situation. And similarly, not all players are passively acceptive of meaningless death points. Personally, I hate getting death points and I know of other players that find it extremely objectionable to get them.

I do not at any point say that it was not enjoyable for some; however, could that enjoyment NOT have also occurred had the mob been dragged to some location OTHER than the hub of Chaos? Especially knowing that it upset some players the last time around and the resulting disruption to those that frequent that consigner?

If a WM led an invasion through town, which has happened before -- with similar results, would there be as many complaints?
    Generally, if there were a WM hosted event, there would be global messages so players would know to avoid certain areas if they chose to or contrarily port there instantly to participate; moreover I'm pretty sure if a WM event did wind up getting a consigner or what not killed during the event, they would hopefully be able to rectify the situation. I do think I recall however some complaints in the past at events that resulted in players dying at their bind, repeatedly, especially locations where lower level/higher level players tend to congregate and the mobs are way out of the ranges of the lower level players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Don't know if anyone else remembers but the Developers had Valkor dropped into the Halloween area about two years ago. Having an Epic mob there was ok at that time I guess.

A rarity, yes. And with good reason. For one, it is more than marginally inconsiderate to do such a thing without alerting one's fellow players. And as no such warning system is available to all players regardless of chat channel presence, it is almost invariably going to be inconsiderate in spite of any intent to the contrary. It is that chief difference, among other reasons, that makes a WM bringing a high-level creature to a well-traveled place a significantly different experience. There is notification on the -global- level, where one can assume everybody has an equal opportunity to be informed. Deathpoints accumulated during normal combat are usually at a player's own discretion, expected or not. They, individually, are responsible and usually in an environment where they recognize it as a possibility. In a game-world with clearly delineated "safe" zones as most town areas are, one who is in such a place has every expectation of being out of harms way, and is in that regard justified in being upset at dying. Yes, deathpoints and coin are transient things, as everything is in the end, and one or two isn't typically much. But perhaps some with more than a couple should find themselves in the midst of trying to eat away their dps in the brist tavern, only to have scorch set them back another several hours? Where is the fun for them? Perhaps there are some who do the bulk of their business on the bristugo consigner, due to the high volume of traffic there. What of their stock and their erstwhile investment? They too have expectations of their merchant-location of choice being available and their wares as well. They are, in fact, at a greater disadvantage, because no warning will prove sufficient to move their inventory elsewhere and still hope to reach the same marketshare.

As regards the consigner permissions issue: it has happened and been documented before. To my understanding, those who were involved in this pull were present if not involved in the last one. They knew about the permissions-reset issue and subsequent unavailability of the consigner. If they chose to ignore it, or conveniently forgot, it does not excuse the fact that prior experience should have taught them to be more cautious of it. Amon himself has already pointed out that there is no good reason for dragging Fafnir clear across the continent to a place like Bristugo, and if memory serves, he has been responsible for a number of WA raids in the past. Isn't it a bit presumptuous of players to take upon themselves such a task, and try to justify it even in light of the disapproval of the one who would otherwise be responsible? Many of those who sit back and talk of the "fun" are sitting on characters with little to do, as they've accomplished about as much as their ambitions covered (or in some cases, perhaps they cannot reach their ambitions and settle for other things? But who am I to say...). For those who have things still to do, and an interest in accomplishing them, such "fun" is anything but. It boils down to an exhibitionist's egotistical drive, bolstered by the certainty of facing no serious repercussions for doing as one pleases. The shard may be called Chaos, but there is a clear and predictible structure and pattern to what is permissible and what is forbidden. No, we're not opening old wounds here. What's done is done, and some of us really do move on. But truly...game or no, it is a service that is provided for more than your individual entertainment. Take others into consideration when you act in ways that may affect them. Some people seek more than simply distraction, but an escape as well. For a game that prides itself on the strength and character of its community, I must say it is beyond perplexing how such a dichotomy stands. And to those who stand for some semblance of reasonability, let us hope your words have not fallen on deaf ears.
    ~Without death, life is meaningless. Without evil, good is naught but arrogance. Without balance, nothing is complete.~
    Archangelis Draconis: 100|100|100 Ancient Dragon, 26.8M Hoard GM of Venatoris Tenebrae (Chaos)

(I totally agree with Litarath. Agua & Steelclaw.So what it this fuss all about?
    A lot of people had fun- and its not that easy to have fun ingame nowadays.
    It was not the first time a boss visited our cities.
    Noone was harmed seriously.
    We have our gods to watch about the rules-hopefully wisely and objectivly.
    They have a hard job to do- but I still believe in them!)

Poor Fafnir: He needed comps- was missing his post packets from Nadia-
    he wanted to assure himself if the rumor is true that she is gone
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Archangelico
    A rarity, yes....And to those who stand for some semblance of reasonability, let us hope your words have not fallen on deaf ears.
    (I totally agree with Archangelico. I don't think anyone else could have spoken quite so eloquently and more accurately.

Thank you for sharing your words.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Come on people what are we talking about? 2 happenings of Fafnir being in Bristugo.
    The first time according to Creme over 14 months ago and now the second a few days back.
    Sure it is not cool that the consigner that you always use died and is set to private, well then all you can do is wait until permission is reset to allow all by the plot owner or according to the link that Creme posted until maintenance if that really works.

As for the time period…
    14.5 minutes of inconvienience in a GAME, yes this still appears to be a GAME.
    Did I say this was a GAME?

Sometimes things happen that might not agree with all people.

At very rare occasions I want to go hunt for some hoard and 2 ancient dragons from the same guild are selfishly claiming about 70-80% of the entire Fire Opal golem spawn south’ish of Saritova by constant mass pulling all in sight or range.
    Leaving but scraps for me and others if I am lucky enough for them to spawn in my tiny corner…
    And those players just don’t care if I am there or not, no change of positioning to give the new guy some room.
    They just kept playing there own selfish game.
    When that happens I hunt for 20-30 minutes tops and then I leave and return later when those players are gone, but do I rant about this on the forum? Yes right now, but other then now NO because it is a game and 99.9% of the online time I can do everything that I want at the time that I want to do it. If hoard hunting is more difficult?
    Then I go back to crafting or on a named killing spree like Thistleface, Mohs sometimes when I want an easy killing Mhedon and if I want to commit suicide I try to solo Umyarr (actually beat him once out of 7-8 tries… lol).

The point is that we can do what ever we want to do and pardon me by saying so I am sorry if this next line causes grief, but still want it said.

If I bind for whatever reason in Bristugo and I get killed by something unexpected when I entered on portal pad in Bristugo I personally would want to know what the hell killed me and if I was a low level I wouldn’t dare to recall back to a place that has that epic thing nearer then were I was lying dead. So yeah <14.5 minutes might be long to wait, but it depends on what you want. 1 unexpected dp, or 2 dp’s from which 1 could have been avoided by not recalling.

And if someone is really so bothered by it. He/she can always send in a support ticket to complain.
    Last edited by Dragonboy; May 4th, 2009 at 08:17 AM.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Archangelico View Post
    That's a nicely composed response that I respect, though don't completely agree with.

I'll agree that some players will be caught off-guard when this sort of thing happens. I'll also agree that dragging an epic mob to assumed safe spot is inconsiderate. We also seem to agree that the event should not be a common occurrence.

Most of the points which I do not agree upon are, upon further thought, moot (though I can elaborate in private if you wish). The only relevant points to this discussion are how players are affected, to what degree they're affected, and how often they're affected. Which, considering the impacts discussed and the very low frequency (the last time appears to have been over a year ago), makes this thread seem like an overreaction.

I think more collective man-hours have been spent reading, contemplating and replying to this thread than those lost in the incident.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Though I can see the annoyance of the collateral damage, unwanted and unexpected death points, the major inconvenience of a dead consigner, I would have loved to see it myself.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

People are never satisfied, and always need something to complain, this thread is a very good example of it.

Btw in Aughundell is also imperial tavern and a imperial consigner, adapt and stop to whine about 15 minutes IN A FRIGGIN GAME (you get upset because of PIXELS?), if you take such things so serious you should step away from your computer and take a few deep breaths and think about it again.

And about WM driven attacks, even when those happened people flodded the support center with complain mails because they didn not realize that this world is at constant war.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Actually the fact that the consigner is not usable is the fault of the devs. They are aware of this issue and yet didn't fix it. You cant blame players for the technical issues with the game and neither can expect them to keep those in mind all the time.

As for the deathpoints which were gained, free ambrosia's were handed out, that was even announced on location and in a public channel.

This hunt, or actually event was being held to encourage hunting epic monsters which been camped for a very long time by a guild which I will now will remain nameless.

Also, this is the exact same way the WM held events go, unexpected and off-guard. This actually took more player effort to get an event like this going on. Heck the team who pulled Fafnirr had more deathpoints than all others together got during that fight.

My opinion, if you can only cry and whine about this, look for another game. It's just a game in the end.
    Last edited by Dakoren Ironhand; May 4th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    (I totally agree with Archangelico. I don't think anyone else could have spoken quite so eloquently and more accurately.

Thank you for sharing your words.)
    I am also in agreement. Archangelico managed to say everything I would have said in a much more eloquent fashion than I ever could. Holy wall of text though.....
    Nayuaka and Nayukhuut. Freelance Helian lorekeepers of Chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakoren Ironhand View Post
    My opinion, if you can only cry and whine about this, look for another game. It's just a game in the end.
    You are right, it IS a game. But because it is a game and because it is not a PvP game (and really it isn't a game about invasions of player towns, sorry to say) people should get the enjoyment THEY expect out of the game. Not the enjoyment YOU expect.

They are the ones playing the game. And that is what the rule I quoted is meant to protect. It is meant to protect everyone's enjoyment of the game. Yes, some of you may have enjoyed Fafnir being in Bristugo. But obviously there are others who did and do not.

Therefore, when you drag Fafnir or any other super high level mob there, you are disrupting the gameplay of people. And THAT, no matter how you construe it is against the rules of conduct.

I am simply giving you all a warning. I don't care if you feel it was fun for you and some others, it is how it is.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

This thread is being closed due to repeated complaints of personal attacks and accusations.

Please remember that issues of harassment, abuse, or other complaints regarding what happens in game should be handled by filing a support ticket, not on the forums.

Thread Information