Thread: The joy of gliding as adult

Default The joy of gliding as adult

The cool thing about seeing a bird fly is when it glides on the currents…
    Simply keeping their wings spread out and let the wind take them to were they want to go.

This is something that I miss with both dragons in flight as wel as hatchlings currently on blight. Both flap with their wings while flying or gliding, Adults constantly and hatchlings less while gliding but still to much for my taste.

I understand that Istaria has no knowledge of wind, but lately I been using a way to “glide� the currents without having real wind. I don’t know if other people see me glide, but I can see myself glide and go higher or lower in altitude when ever I want to. It does not work on real short distances, but from Dralk shrine to the nearby portal is possible, everything further away becomes only easier.

I use 2 methods for those interested in trying.

A. Press “up� until you are in the air and at the same time press “Auto Forward�, then constantly press “down� as if you wish to land, but if you press “up� for very short periodes you will stay leveled or even go higher with minimal wing movement.
    B. Constantly press “forward� and “down�, only release “down� at the same time as you press “up� for a short time after which you right away press “down� again.

Eventhough this way of flying takes more work that simply moving from point A to B and many others probably have already discovered my methods, but I still wanted to share something with you all that has given me more joy in flying then I had for a long time.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Default Re: The joy of gliding as adult

When I glide, back-and-forth stuttering due to lag becomes more noticeable.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

I use my mouse wheel to glide which activates "free look mode". When i press it i can change the direction I fly and the height also. If just have to look where I want to fly, if I look up i fly up and etc. When i look down in a certain angle my dragon starts to glide, for speed fly I look down to a certain degree, shortly before the dragon goes in glide mode, and I keep the angle, so I can glide long distances and don't drop down as fast when I press constaly x. I have always the glide mode active and so my dragon only flaps when I want to fly higher.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Ayar--I never use the constant flapping, I always tilt forward (using the middle mouse button) just enough that my dragon starts gliding. As long as you don't use mouselook again while flying, your dragon will stay like that as long as you're logged in, so you don't need to fiddle with it anymore.
    Tchanel Rulskyl, Ancient of Order.
    Currently unable to return due to being poor.

Yup, I use the same tactics as Takora and Wirevix. The middle wheel button in your mouse sure is handy for flying.

Racia Trejan & Trica - Helians of Chaos
    Salama Lizran - Lunus of Unity --> Chaos (alive but retired)

I cant stand the constant flapping either and use mouse-look to glide. Sometimes if I position it just right I can glide with out loosing elevations... least not to a notice able degree over the short term.
    You can also avoid flapping when moving up/down by turning tight circles. Great dizzying fun

I managed to get this to work as well with Mouse-look...
    This is a lot easier to glide although it does remove the fun I had with the old style gliding... Must think about which method I will use in the future.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I don't know if it's been changed, but while I still played, you could easily glide by changing the pitch of your flight. After a few degrees down, your dragon would automatically glide. It took some practice to get a good angle that wouldn't make you go down too fast, but it's all I ever used.

I don't recall the keybindings, though. It didn't involve mouselook, either.
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Tagath only flaps when first getting into the air. Other than that, he's usually gliding. He's even enjoying roof surfing in Dalimond.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

I love to glide by default too. I usually use my mouse to push my camera all the way forwards so that I'm looking straight down on Galde, and then I use page up and page down (I think it was, unless it was insert and delete) to tilt my camera back to it's normal position. That leaves her at a constant glide, although she does go down rather quickly. If you see me flying you might see me gliding down then flapping up, gliding down then flapping up. I like it that way X3

~Galde

You can angle your camra slightly to glide at a much slower decent then facing all the way down. This is what I normally do.

Thread Information