Thread: Developers' Desk: Special Edition

Default Developers' Desk: Special Edition

It's hard to believe that another month has past already. As I look outside, the April showers have most definitely brought May flowers, so please forgive me if I sneeze! This month's Developers' Desk is obviously a bit later than normal, and is focused completely on the upcoming epic content release, originally called the "Blighted Labyrinth".

First, a brief announcement about the final name for this massive update and why it has changed. Originally when this dungeon was proposed the content was intended for a lower level player, and the storyline was centered around the blighted lands on New Trismus. Since the content is now designed for high end players and the location of the dungeon entrance moved, the storyline has been changed to fit this new area. I don't want to give away the storyline, but I will say that the new name for this update fits well with the primary story. The title for this content update is "Dralnok's Doom", and that is what the citizens of Delgarath will be calling the dungeon which lies below their settlement as well.

Now with that said, just what is Dralnok's Doom? For those who are hearing about this project for the first time, the central focus for this content up date is Istaria's first ever underground area. Players will have to build the tunnels leading down beneath the settlement of Delgarath in order to access the dungeon itself as well as find other community world building projects scattered across Istaria when this content update goes live. Start building up your stores of resources and filling silos if you plan to help build the tunnels leading to Dralnok's Doom!

The world of Istaria itself is changing as well with this update. Along the road stretching from Aughundell east and north to Delgarath itself, and the surrounding countryside, players will find new settlements, new monsters, and even new flora growing on the hillsides that have never been seen before. And many of Istaria's citizens in this region will have a story to tell, or will require the help of the Gifted in a variety of ways. This update includes more than 50 new quests to guide players around Delgarath and into the dungeon below.

There are four brand new monster races that will make an appearance in this content update as well, as well as the return of an old favorite the Myloc. But be warned that the Myloc Queen is unlike any other epic boss monster found in Istaria to date. Of course, she isn't the only creature that roams the tunnels below Delgarath that players should fear. The carrion crawlers, brachina beetles, scorpions and murk crabs will take a significant bite out of any who come too close as well, with abilities that players have yet to experience. First mentioned in our October Developers' Desk, the poison system will give monsters new abilities, and of course new cures for players to counter the poison, that will have the potential to change combat with certain monsters as well.

But it isn't just the monsters who are getting new abilities with this update. Dragons will have a new epic ability to earn, and a brand new breath weapon to quest for. An epic new spell is being added that players will earn after completing a quest, and many of the other quests provide formulas for the crafting of items not previously seen in Istaria. Tinkerers, for example, will be busy crafting for key formulas and making keys to unlock the many treasure chests found both in and under Istaria with this new update. Treasure chests were previewed in the November Developers' Desk, but little else has been said since then to maintain a bit of mystery about them. Inside the chests players will find new collectibles, dyes, hoard items for dragons and much more.

Players who own a plot or lair will be able to add a special new banner or mural to their plot to proudly display their accomplishment in the dungeon after killing the Myloc Queen. But showing pride in your accomplishments isn't limited to just a banner or mural on a plot. Titles and emblems are being added with this update that will let players display for all to see what they have accomplished in Istaria. Some can be earned through crafting, others through adventuring and killing creatures, and still others will be gained from completing quests.

We've been keeping our art team busy with more than just preparing all the new monsters, effects and items, though. One of the requests we receive most often through our CafePress store is for new posters and images to use on items there. A few weeks ago we released a new image in the style of a movie poster that previews one of the new creatures found in Istaria. This image can either be downloaded for free from our image gallery or purchased in poster form from our CafePress website. Today I'm excited to announce that we have a desktop image previewing the entrance to Dralnok's Doom. Just copy and paste the link below. In this post you will find the story that was inspired by the image. We hope you enjoy them both!
    Going Somewhere Image

I know many have asked for a feature list that can be used to promote the pending epic content update on your own Istaria related site, so rather than making you edit from the post, here's a list of what we see as the main features:

Expansive Labyrinthine Dungeon
    Tons of content designed exclusively for high-level players!
    Four entirely new monster races!
    The return of an old favorite, the Myloc!
    An epic boss the likes of which you've never seen in Istaria before!
    Treasure Chests!
    Tons of new treasure, collectibles, dyes, hoardables, and much more!
    Over 50 quests!
    An entire region of Istaria rebuilt and improved!
    Titles and emblems to proudly display your accomplishments in Istaria!
    A new epic ability for Dragons!
    A new breath weapon for Dragons!
    An all new epic spell!
    Free wallpapers and images to download from our Image Gallery
    Cool posters

All this and more will be coming to Istaria in June, 2009. I hope you'll invite your friends to join you in Istaria to experience all the new content. I can assure you that when wandering around the dungeon below Delgarath, you'll want as many friends as possible around you, for the foes are deadly indeed!

Until next month, enjoy Istaria!

-Amarie

The ever exciting discussion thread can be found here: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=20790
    Last edited by Amarie Ancalimon; May 16th, 2009 at 03:05 AM.

Thread Information