Thread: Journey of Morality

Default Journey of Morality

((Sidenote: This is the backstory for Daza's disappearance for the days that I was stuck without a computer.))

I love you.

The words of his mate rang in the black dragon’s mind as he was taken through the large prison by two heavy-set dragons. His muzzle clamped shut, and his eyes blindfolded.
    This was a mistake. He thought to himself, fear ripping him inside. He was ready to take his words back and return to his new home, though, the inner conflict within him needed redemption.
    The blindfold and shackles were taken off the dragon as he was forcibly shoved into the small cell. The dank, dirty and lonely cell in which he had once been on the outside of, laughing, was now his own prison.
    “Enjoy your stay, Doommaker.”

Doommaker. I hate that name.

Tears welled within his eyes as the regret of his actions made its way to realisation. He promised his mate he would return alive, and he was determined to. But when would he? What of his family? He spoke nothing to them about this. He had left so quickly, so suddenly. Who would notice him leaving?

In his past, he was exiled. Many decades had passed in this realm during the dragon’s time on Istaria. The dragon had returned to his home to redeem his conscience. Returning to the castle to take the toll of his actions. He was no longer a warmachine, though he refused to be called a deserter.
    The Prince who had been a friend of his in the past was now the King. This worked in good fortune, lessening the sentence from execution to seven years serving the kingdom. Seven harsh years. Five years in prison, two in the military. Make his life hell… I am sorry, Daza.

“Sorry indeed.” Daza spat as he looked out the bars into the snow-covered town.
    Anyone without eyes would know the bloodshed now reeking it, the entire town seemed almost red. Morality had departed this once peaceful place; executions ran within the city on a daily basis, turning into massacres.
    The black dragon turned around to face a human, standing there proudly. The fat on his body seeping out of the gaps in his armor, jiggling everytime the fatman moved.

“If it isn’t Doommaker. Our amazing warrior of the land. Though, what happened to you?”
    “Wha-“
    “I didn’t say you could speak. Prisoners should niether be heard nor seen. And in fact, you shouldn’t be seen here, either.”
    “What?” The weariness of the dragon’s trek here was evident.
    “You see, there was a mistake. You belong lower down the building. Remember where that leads?”
    When no reasponse came, the fatman snapped angrily, “Answer me!”
    “You just told me not to.”
    “You foul creature.” The guard snarled, pulling out a large whip, on the tip, a flash of metal was seen before it was flung at Daza’s left shoulder, the blade digging into his flesh. The dragon roared loudly in utter pain. “Answer me. Where does it lead?”
    “Solitary confinement.” He wimpered as the blade was pulled forcefully from his shoulder.
    “Good. Take him there, but let him see where he is.”

Daza didn’t resist as he was pulled and shoved through the prison. Each prisoner looked more destroyed than the last. No one dared make a sound, no one dared move a muscle. Discipline and horror had struck each one to the bone.
    “Meet your new life, Doommaker. We will strip your name, and you will be lucky to have one again that won’t make you cringe.”
    “My name is Daza.”
    A shriek of pain flashed through the dragon’s body as he was whipped again, this time the blade dragging itself along his tail, ripping multiple scales with a line of flesh. “Doommaker.
    Another forceful push, the door was slammed shut. Daza could smell the stench of a corpse in this dark room, though the only light he had was a small square from outside the peephole in the door. This was Solitary Confinement, it hadn’t changed.

The next day, Daza was taken to the interrogation chamber, tied to a large plank of wood. Each chain connected to a pulley. This was the beginning. The same guard stood in front of him, waiting to begin.

“So, Doommaker. Where have you been?”
    “Hiding.”
    Another whip, followed with another shriek of pain.
    “Where?”
    “Where what?”
    One more.
    “I’ve been hiding underground. With the thieves.”
    “Ah ha. Now, how did you get your eye? It is well known, Doommaker only had one eye.”
    Daza gave up, he knew that there was only one way to protect the identity of his realm and everyone he knew and loved. “It didn’t. It’s an illusion.” You idiot.
    Multiple whips, each more painful than the last. Tears welled up in the dragons eyes again, though he refused to answer the guard’s interrogation.
    “I… I… a healer. A healer.” Daza spluttered between coughs of blood.
    “And the healer’s name?”
    “Rolly-polly Fatboy.”
    Again. The whips became harder and more intense.
    “This is your first day, dragon. Don’t make it be your last.”
    “Make my day.”

Default Re: Journey of Morality

((Good to see you back! Though sounds like Daza's gonna come back with scars.))
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Each day continued like the first. Solitary confinement, interrogation, torture, back to solitary confinement. Daza tried his hardest to gain control over his emotions and stress, however, it was begin to lay thick; it was almost impossible to keep his head together.
    The amount of wounds on his body had grown to cover his entire body. He could barely look to find a piece of unblemished scale on his body. The guards were becoming rougher. Yet, he still refused to give any information. He refused to put his family in danger, though he knew the cost of this may one day end up being his life.
    Day after day, week after week, month after month, he regretted his decision, only wishing to return to the family he now loved.

“None of your stories ever match up, Doommaker.� The newest guard had taken control of the room, this one was built like a bull. It was to Daza’s amusement that the armor they wore never seemed to properly fit their body size. “All we want is for you to answer this simple question; Where did you come from?� The guard spat each word with emphasis.
    “No, please. I can’t.� Daza’s voice had cracked long ago, each word sounded as if a hatchling was whining to its mother. He had given up on resisting them with sly remarks, but now, he was pleading for them to stop. “No…�
    “Answer our questions.� The guard raised a mace above his head threateningly. He laughed as Daza bawled , attempting to cower despite having been restrained on all six limbs.
    “No! No! Please!� There was great fear in his voice as he tried to break the restrained and pull away. Each thought of death was nullified from the thought of his loving mate. The one who would make all this better; to make the pain go away.

The mace came down with a large crack on Daza’s wing-shoulder. The sound of snapping bone could be heard throughout the room. “Two years, Doommaker. You’ve been here two years, and yet you still refuse to answer our questions. Perhaps we need to take more serious measures.� The guard put his mace on the table opposite the helpless black dragon,
    “Did you know, Doommaker, that we, in this realm, carry our lives on our spirits? That, despite having a new body, we may have multiple spirits?�
    The thought of the true Daza and Daza’s Istarian spirit fighting in his body came to his mind.
    “No… enlighten me.�
    The back of a large metal glove struck Daza’s cheek, “I was planning to.� The guard paced up and down the room, inhale and exhaling as emphatically as he spoke, “Our spirits are similar to Chroniclers; they write down and memorise every little detail in our lives, past and present. It Is believed that, with certain extraction, we can find these memories ourselves. However, it has the dire potential to destroy the spirit itself. To, not only kill the body, but also the spirit.� He shrugged, “This means that you would not only die, but, your spirit would be unable to pass on its memories; you would cease to exist.�
    “No…�
    “Then tell us.�
    Daza could hardly take any more threats, he had only to feel the strain of one more weight, and he would snap. Unless he already had. “I was hiding.�
    The mace was picked up once more and struck upon Daza’s left horn in such a flash, that it startled Daza at the same time. “We know that!�
    “Hiding with… with…� He searched quickly for a name. one that existed, but was obsolete. “Tylmar.�
    Daza remembered his little sister telling him the story of an evil elf named Tylmar attacking her once. Apparently, one who had claimed she was a fiend.

“Tylmar, an Elf. He was hiding me in the old battleground of Al’zarkith.�
    “Al’zarkith? The place where Doommaker last fought his battle before transpiring to destroy the kingdom?�
    That’s what they’re being told now? “Yes.�

Daza had managed to get some time to survive, but how long would he? He still had three years in this hell. He began to wonder if he would survive in this. If he did, how would life be on the outside?

The door opened to Daza’s confinement cell. The black dragon shielded his eyes from the light outside, something he had grown accustomed to doing.
    “We found Tylmar. However, he is neither an elf or admitting to have known you.” The fatman had returned.
    I was hoping it would buy me more than a month.
    “Also, he was found far from these lands, on another continent. In fact, he wasn’t even born during the battle.” The guard lent against the doorframe in a condescending manner. “What do you say?”
    “I… I was mistaken… sir.” Daza stayed to the far wall of the cell, refusing to be any closer to the guard.
    “Do we need to jog your memory?”
    Daza jumped, the need to jump out of his scales rose sharply, “No! No! No, there isn’t!” He was truly afraid of punishment now.
    “Good,” The guard elongated the word with a hiss, “then who was it really?”
    “It…” Daza had to think quickly, or else it would be another day of torture, “A… red dragon. Yes. Esker Darkfold.”
    “To save time, you’ll tell us his last known residence.” The guard petted his whip with passion.
    “In this city, close to the market district.” Daza shivered, his eyes welling with tears.
    “Good dragon.” The door was slammed, making Daza jump once more.

What have I done?

The black dragon felt stiffer than usual. He needed to move; he needed to cower. He needed to scream; yet to stay silent.
    He needed to apologise for his mistake.

“He’s dead! He died years ago! How could I hide a dead dragon?!�
    The crowd gathered around the guillotine, Daza being forced to the front, held by a leash. He stared up at the red dragon, the look of complete guilt covered his face as the red dragon looked him in the eye.
    To the two, there were no others, there was no sound. Only the two staring.
    “You… how could you?� The dragon hissed lowly to the black. “After all I did.�
    This bewilderment for both had given the guards enough time to rig the red into the deathtrap. The crowd went silent, waiting for the inevitable moment.
    “Doommaker!�
    The crowd roared with cheers as the red dragon’s head rolled on to the ground, landing in front of Daza’s feet.

Two dragons had spent their entire lives together, supporting each other within the military. Each day, each battle, each celebration. The two dragons were inseparable. On the fateful day Daza swore the death of the Empire, it was this dragon that convinced the commander to call off the search. That he had personally killed the black dragon.
    And now, due to his own selfish actions, lay the head of the dragon that saved his life. The head of Esker Darkfold.
    The final word of that dragon cut through the black like the blade that had done so for the past two years. Doommaker, the name Daza despised. But what was he?

Daza, lost in his own thoughts, hadn’t noticed the constant whipping and torture he had been receiving due to his lack of movement. He could not hear them, see them or feel anyone who was supposedly around. He followed orders, but knew not what they were.

He sat in his cell for weeks, never moving, never talking. The guards had received their information and now had no use for him. He was fed once a week, though this food soon went to waste, for the black had no reason to eat. To him, eating was a privilege he did not deserve.

Doommaker. I am just that. He was my closest friend, and I threw his life away as if it were meaningless. Have I changed at all? Am I still the monster I was before? Did I dream of my time in Istaria? No, I couldn’t. They mean so much to me. But would I throw their lives away?
    I haven’t changed.

The same thoughts, the same events rolled through the black dragon’s mind as he stood in the corner, his head hung low. Any command went unheard, any hit went unfelt. The dragon had become entranced in his own bitter, guilty thoughts.

A hiss was heard through the dark room. Finally, Daza rose his head, looking for the sound. The hiss was familiar to what he heard from the spirits. It was a spirit.
    The form of a black drake appeared in front of Daza before twisting and writhing around the dragon, and finally around the room once more.
    \You never change. That’s what I like about you.\

The ethereal form snickered as it twisted it’s way once more around Daza, the feeling of unease filling the black dragon.
    \I promised you, didn’t I?\
    “I didn’t want you here. I told you that before.”
    \Oh yes, yes.\ The affirmatives were elongated and drawn out in a reptilian hiss \But you know, Daza, I could never, ever leave you.\
    “You have no reason to be here. I don’t want you here.”
    \Oh, but I do! Yes. You want out. Yes. And I can provide that.\
    “You’re more hissy than I remember.”
    \Oh, yes. Being alone in the depths of hells has that affect on you. The place where you imprisoned me, where you claimed I would be free when you returned.\ The apparition turned to a glowing red, \You didn’t come back. You left me there. You freed my brother, so I had only myself to be with.\ The apparition’s voice began raising, \You left me to fade. I promised you everything you ever wanted in this realm, and you shut me out like that peasant Esker. But look at you now! It’s not easy, is it?!\

As the ethereal dragon rambled, Daza began tuning out until he felt pressure around his throat.
    \But I have you now. And I’m going to help you through this, Daza. You’re going to like it. You’re going to appreciate my hard effort, and perhaps… perhaps… I will forgive you. What do you think Daza? Do we have a bargain? Or should I let you rot? I can increase your sentence here… I can give you the most painful death you’ve ever experienced.\
    Daza choked, “Fine.”
    The shrieking snicker filled the air again as the apparition’s colour resumed to black, \Good, yes. You wouldn’t want your other half to lose his edge, would you?\
    “No, Malice. I suppose your death wouldn’t be well boding.”
    \Oh, bitter, bitter. Why so bitter? Oh… yes, I see. You lied. You killed someone in order to ensure your own survival. Yes. That’s the Daza I know well.\
    Silence from the black dragon as he resumed staring at the ground, feeling the weight of his actions once more.
    \Oh, oh, oh, did I hit a nerve? I’m sorry~\ The laugh came once more.

Malice was a small experiment back when Daza was commanding his own division of the military. It was here that Daza had donated a claw, tooth and scale of his, in order to create this weapon. Unfortunately, the experiment was a failure and only produced the ethereal ghost with no true form. Causing havoc for both sides in the war, Daza was giving the task of destroying the beast. In his deepest mind, he knew that this weapon was useful, despite it being wild.
    As Daza’s ‘other half’, this creature knew everything Daza did, and, possessed the same, if not greater power than the true form. He referred to himself as Malice, that being the word he had first heard after being created. The name, to most people’s distress, was fitting, as his thought was not on helping the Kingdom, but moreso being a toy of his own amusement. This, was one of Daza’s own thoughts to the empire, however, Malice was the manifestation of that.
    After months of searching and fighting, Daza managed to capture the beast, throwing him into the hells. This ‘brother’ that was referred to was the second experiment, using the leftovers of the ingredients Daza had donated. This dragon was Saviour. The complete opposite.
    Saviour and Malice, two creations of the same mind.

\I’ll come back when I can. There’s a hanging which I really shouldn’t miss. Yes. But remember Daza,\ A long, manic laughter echoed through the room, \Whether you like it or not; I’ll always be here. Sitting. Waiting. For you.\ The laughter ceased as the apparition circled through the room once more, disappearing through the window, \Don’t worry, I love you too.\

Thread Information