Thread: Graduated Licensing

Default Graduated Licensing

Long story short, I've yet to get a driver's license. Reasons withheld, but now am looking to it...

Canada has this graduated thing... I understand the logic behind it is to make things better, but it also is really inconvenient... not everyone has a person when you get your learner's who is going to ride with you to make it so you can drive. In my case, its a person who is more likely to sit and be a er, front-backseat driver.

Then after you do somehow pass that, more time for you to drive to be able to get out of the no night driving mess.

Graduated driving: Irritating. Your thoughts on the program?

Default Re: Graduated Licensing

I like the idea of graduated driving for beginners, but even then, the time frame for each graduation can be based solely on time behind the wheel, rather than a fixed calendar interval. Actual practice builds experience; time spent not driving does not.

Thinking a bit, I can see that there's value in requiring a full driver to be in the car with the beginner, but once you can say that the full driver is no longer necessary, then I don't see a practical reason for continuing to impose limitations on the beginner.

Furthermore, "no driving at night" doesn't make sense to me either. Yes, night driving is a bit harder to deal with than driving in daylight, but a beginner needs experience. That experience should begin with supervised driving -- when there's someone around to provide guidance and take control of the vehicle as necessary. (Same goes for rain and snow too.)

However, should a driver already have experience behind the wheel that exceeds the minimum requirements for each graduation, I don't see the point in requiring said driver to start "from the beginning" again.

>.> Of course, if you look like you're older than a teenager, don't put the placard on your car, don't get in any accidents, don't get pulled over, and don't have your picture taken by photo-enforcement, nobody will know that you're not a full driver yet.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Don't look at me!

I drove on just a learner's permit and even kept driving after it expired!

I do have a license now, but... *shifty-eyes*
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

In the USA, restrictions on a night driving are usually only until the driver is 17. We still have to have a learner's permit for at least 6 months.

The process may be a hassle, but as someone who loves driving and does it constantly, I can tell you that there are STILL tons of people who have no idea how to drive out there. If anything, I support more intensive driver-testing.
    ~Lucient Dawn
    DRAG 100/ DCRA 100/ DLSH 55
    Hoard: 7,000,000
    Obsidian Order Guild

In comparison, Finland basically has a two-stage driver's license system.

1st stage training includes theoretical lessons, regular driving lessons, slippery conditions driving lessons (at a special track), and often night time driving lessons.

You have to pass a theoretical test and a driving test. If both are successful, you get a temporary 2 year license. You need to be 18 years old minimum when doing the tests, but can start driving school and lessons before that age.

Between 6 and 24 months after getting the temp license, you can start the 2nd stage where you receive additional training (and test(s) if I recall correctly) to get your 'permanent' driver's license. If you don't do this, you lose your temp license and need to go through the 1st stage again.

If you want to get a bus, lorry etc. driving license, there are additional requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahael View Post
    In comparison, Finland basically has a two-stage driver's license system.

1st stage training includes theoretical lessons, regular driving lessons, slippery conditions driving lessons (at a special track), and often night time driving lessons.

You have to pass a theoretical test and a driving test. If both are successful, you get a temporary 2 year license. You need to be 18 years old minimum when doing the tests, but can start driving school and lessons before that age.

Between 6 and 24 months after getting the temp license, you can start the 2nd stage where you receive additional training (and test(s) if I recall correctly) to get your 'permanent' driver's license. If you don't do this, you lose your temp license and need to go through the 1st stage again.

If you want to get a bus, lorry etc. driving license, there are additional requirements.
    Wow, that sounds much more strict.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahael View Post
    I like the idea of manditory behind-the-wheel experience handling adverse conditions in a controlled environment. I think it's safe to say that for most people, their first panic stop, spin, or hydroplaning experience is out on the open road where they have a few seconds to learn -- pass or fail.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    I like the idea of manditory behind-the-wheel experience handling adverse conditions in a controlled environment. I think it's safe to say that for most people, their first panic stop, spin, or hydroplaning experience is out on the open road where they have a few seconds to learn -- pass or fail.
    Well we seriously need a crack-down on standards in the Uk. It's becoming absolutely shocking. The number of times I roll my eyes at people who can't park, or drive Huge road 4x4's to make up for a lack of road awareness/confidence ... and don't mention the Chelsea Taxi school run.

I despair at the pocket rockets (only a few years old at most) being driven my complete road n00bs like they're Michael Schumacher (but a lot $h1tter). In just one drive home this evening, one successfully blocked a road due to a complete lack of awareness ... another went past me like I was parked on the motorway (I was speeding a little too!) ... and finally one motorcyclist (possibly at an age to know better) who almost turned himself (and possibly me) to dust by narrowly missing my car after a failed attempt to undertake (followed by an abrupt overtaking) on a single-carriageway road.

I'm subject to 6-monthly checks to make sure my flying is safe, and it's a great way to continue learning. It would be quite a burden on driving instructors, but I'm all for annual checks for drivers and motorcyclists. It will help keep skills sharp and roads safer ... even better if we add 'eventuality' stuff to driver training like they do in some countries... such as handling if a tire blows out at high speed, skid pan training, etc.

Could help prevent the almost daily chaos on the motorways after some knob jockey plants his/her vehicle where it shouldn't go.

The human race seems to be degenerating at an alarming rate.

*annoyed and frustrated*

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    I'm subject to 6-monthly checks to make sure my flying is safe, and it's a great way to continue learning. It would be quite a burden on driving instructors, but I'm all for annual checks for drivers and motorcyclists. It will help keep skills sharp and roads safer ... even better if we add 'eventuality' stuff to driver training like they do in some countries... such as handling if a tire blows out at high speed, skid pan training, etc.
    This is a wonderful and great idea. *is also sick of people trying to do 90 in a 60*

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    This is a wonderful and great idea. *is also sick of people trying to do 90 in a 60*
    lol yes freeway is NOT a raceway.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    lol yes freeway is NOT a raceway.
    That's what streets with stoplights, bicyclists and pedestrians are for!

/been hit three times already -_-
    /doesn't want to push his luck for a fourth time

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

heehee i live in the car capital of america (well, usta be, anyway) and i can tell you that we so totally need a major overhaul of the driver licensing.......
    everyone here, from 3 to 100, thinks it is their godgiven right to drive and should not be subject to any form of testing or indeed, should not have any licensing requirements at all!! we grow up with cars, of course we know how to drive, by genetics, for pete's sake!!

i have been to several european countries and always thought, before i visited them, that all those stories about how they drive are true - no way, peeps in michigan usa drive the worst in the world, as far as i can see......... and we don't have road tests at all, and you only need to take a written test when you first get your license. they don't even test my dad - a fine driver (he grew up in the south in the oldtimes, so he was driving tractors when he was tall enough to reach) but hitting 75 years old and going deaf............

me, i am all for tough driving license requirements (its a privilage, after all, not a right and it is a death machine as well) and wish we had them around here.......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

But, officer...

I was only going as fast as everyone else.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    But, officer...

I was only going as fast as everyone else.
    hehehe... well even that, everyone going the same speed, would be safer than the complete rear rippage chaotic mess we have at the moment. Even tonight, while it was raining cats, dogs and immigrants, a few brave souls were still pushing 90 ... they using the Force or something?

Rakku

90 miles per hour or 90 kilometers per hour?

Where I live, 90km/h is pretty darn slow, even in the rain.

it's not too bad over here in columbus, Ohio, but i have seen some retards behind the wheel. i have had a dad and his son (who was in the front seat) cut me off while i was going 50 (was the speedlimit) as i was reaching the intersection. i had to quickly change lanes to avoid this guy, or i would have rearended him. i also have had a LOT of tailgaters too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    90 miles per hour or 90 kilometers per hour?

Where I live, 90km/h is pretty darn slow, even in the rain.

Kph is a daft unit... numbers get too big to fast. I mean miles per hour.

Rakku

Thread Information