Thread: Need some feedback from A Stoneworking class and a Metalworking class.

Rogan

Default Need some feedback from A Stoneworking class and a Metalworking class.

I have already placed a ticket on this but response so far was it will be passed on to the Live Team and to watch patch notes. Well it has been a month now and each time I craft it burns me to know if I am losing xp or not.

As a fletcher the level up procedure for xp gind was:

Board Plane
    Bucket
    Spoon
    Fine Cugel

That order gave the most xp per board based on making at Opt.

My problem is now with the expert forms there is no step up from the Board Plane.
    Either that form gives too much xp or the remaining ones do not give enough.

I will gain more XP per board making the Lvl 80 Form - Board Plane (186xp per board) than I do making the Lvl 95 Form - Fine Cugel ( 184xp per board)

If a lvl 100 metalworker and a stoneworker would pls make/decon the lvl 80-95 items and post the xp per resource results here I would appreciate it.

Thx

Default Re: Need some feedback from A Stoneworking class and a Metalworking class.

I had a similar problem with tier 4 obsidian stone tools a couple months ago. There is a standard progression that all stone tool makers use to get optimum experience.

The stone tool progression: (skill, tool and, resource usage at optimum)

+0 Essence Siphon or Shaper (6 bricks)
    +50 Clay Scoop (8 bricks)
    +100 Brew Stirrer or Mortar and Pestle (10 bricks)
    +150 Glassblowing Rod (10 bricks)

I started working obsidian making Obsidian Essence Siphons requiring a sculpting skill of 600 and needing 6 bricks at optimum. With a deconstruct of 3 bricks back, that's a net of 3 bricks used. I don't have the exact experience figures anymore, but I clearly recall the conclusion. When I was good enough to make the next step tool, clay scoops, I found that I wasn't receiving any better experience per brick. Sure I was getting about 30% more experience per tool made, but since the scoops were taking 4 bricks net to make, that was 33% more resources. I was better off continuing to make siphons. That was also the case for brew stirrers. Only when I was able to make glassblowing rods did I finally have something that would beat siphons in terms of experience gained per brick consumed.

I figure that what's happening is that while throughout the tiers the resources consumed remains a constant 6, 8, 10, 10 the skill ranges alter their relative values. That is: an 10 sandstone brick skill 100 tool gives a lot more experience than a 8 brick skill 50 tool. Whereas an 10 obsidian brick skill 700 tool isn't much better than an 8 brick skill 650 tool. So 10 bricks is always 25% more used than 8 bricks, but 700 skill is only slightly harder than 650. So in the upper tiers experience gained may not jump as quickly percentage wise.

That well known rule about getting the best experience from your hardest optimum formula is just a rule of thumb. You need to double check it to be sure it's working. Actually calculating your skill return is always best. As a beginner outfitter I found it best to get off the skill 1 formulas as soon as possible. It was better to jump to the 100 skill formula even though I wasn't optimum on the lower skill ones yet. There is a huge difference in the exp returned by a 100 skill over a 1 skill, as I recall it was something like five times more. The difference between 700 and 600 is very minor in comparison (but the resource usage remains the same).

In conclusion, I don't think this is simply a bug with the expert wood formulas. I think it is common in higher tier work. But I don't have enough expert formulas to give you a real comparison. As I recall making a skill 800 stone or metal tool yields 800 some points of experience, over 1000 with deconstruct.
    Ikfel the Crafty Dwarf
    Level 100 Blacksmith, Mason, Miner, Scholar, and Outfitter

Default Re: Need some feedback from A Stoneworking class and a Metalworking class.

As a mason, I found this hapening even with granite. ALthough I was optimum on mortar and pestles, I still got better exp per brick making clay scoops, which are a lower skill level. I'm not yet at optimum on T3 tools as a fitter so I can't tell you about metalworking. I'd assume it's probably similar to wood and stone tho.
    Guildmaster of The Alliance
    http://The-Alliance.cjb.net

This happens for all toolmaking schools. The problem is that the higher level tools use more resources (6->8->10->12), and the extra xp you get per tool doesn't alway offset this. I was leveling fitter the other day and found that making steel tink spanners @ opt gave me about the same xp as making a lower gold tool @ opt (I forget which one). I've always been curious why higher level tools don't give more xp.

Just be thankful you get good xp making tools. Weavers get very few forms to lvl on in the high levels - it was just backpacks, satchels, and pouches (until we finally got sacks), each needing multiple resources. Enchanter is worse still, since building is about the only way to get xp.

Adv: 12x100, 72 Wizard, 60 Warrior, 40 CHSW, 10 Monk (200)
    Craft: 19x100, 100 Tailor (234)
    [extended vacation]

Thread Information