Thread: Oh, flaming toaster...

Default Oh, flaming toaster...

I remember when I first moved into my new house, our old toaster decided to randomly die (proceeded by producing a lot of smoke). So for a few days we were toasterless until we could afford to get a new cheap little one at the town's hardware store. Between point A and point B, you wouldn't expect it, but it was when I really discovered how much I relied on a toaster for well... lots of food combos.

It came to my realization that my menu thinned by a lot. After all, toast is good on its own and tastes a bit better than plain bred with butter or peanutbutter or jam, I can't eat eggs without it else I label them 'eeeeuugggggh' (Apparently buttered toast creates a wonderful flavor with eggs that they lack when they lack toast). And oh the list goes on...

As of late the new toaster has kinda been a little random for working or not working (We found it has been the wall outlet being a little finicky as it is very old) or working so it brought up the thought again.

It is an interesting thought to see really how you take something for granted on how much you use it till it is gone. What sort of things do you think fall into this category for you?

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Oh, flaming toaster...

no question for me - the internet.....
    i am way old enough to remember before the internet was around, and now that i have it, i would walk the streets if i had to to make sure i have the best internet connection i can have.
    i have laundry mats for my clothes if i lose my washer and dryer, i can hand wash my dishes if i need to, can even live without my tv and dvd player -
    but the merest speculation of the tiniest possibility of considering life without the internet makes me feel suicidial.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

we went through a few days without the old microwave... it was interesting rediscovering reheating things on the stove or in the oven.

and when the dryer died? a string in the backyard, are you kidding me? no way am i letting my neighbors see all the things that need drying! on the other hand, no way am i going to iron underwear again to get it dry (got stuck on a trip once w/o my luggage, washed my things in the sink, and the hotel had an iron but no hair dryer. total ack!).

Heh, for me when my sis and I moved out it was the microwave. Amazing how many meals there are that need/use it hwen you're poor To make matters worse we didnt have any pot/pans to heat some stuff up on the stove for the first week.

Personally tho, internet. Or computer. I cant go w/o one or the other for more than a day or two.

For me, it would be the washer/dryer. I lived for 9 years in a place without one. From the day we moved into our current apartment, (which has both), I swore never again.

Of course, as my job now relies on a computer with internet access, that's got to rank even higher than the washer/dryer. But as a mom raising 3 kids, it's only "pretty close" to which is first and which is second.

Interesting thread, btw.. I'll be curious to see what others come up with.

Dishwasher was something I took for granted.

Japan has no dishwashers. Washing by hand is not bad, I do miss being able to plop everything in the dishwasher and going to bed instead of staying up and extra 15, 20 minutes to wash everything.

After 6 years of it, though I'm getting quite sick of it. I can't wait to have a washer again.

That and real commercials that aren't poorly written with bad songs attached to it on a $5 budget to boot.

I've recently gone through two things gone from everyday live i took for granted.

The first I'd thought I'd not miss, my DVD player died and we decided its summer replace it in Sept. Though on the nights the wife wants to do TV time together I've found there is nothing on TV worth watching most nights. So surprisingly I'm missing my DVD player.

The second we just became a one computer house for a couple weeks, I knew I'd miss it but the amount I've missed it has floored, apparently I'm not a good sharer, and its been a double whammy because there has also been a lot more of number one's happening because there's only one computer and my wife shares lot like me. LOL

As previously mentioned and considering how bad TV programming sucks as of late...

I cannae do wi'out me internets!!!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by Shian
    Dishwasher was something I took for granted.

Japan has no dishwashers. Washing by hand is not bad, I do miss being able to plop everything in the dishwasher and going to bed instead of staying up and extra 15, 20 minutes to wash everything.
    Except when leaving the dishwasher attached and running, requiring the water to be left on also ends up draining the water heater all night, leaving you with cold showers in the morning. Something I detest.

Something I can't live without. Has to be computers. I go to work and I run up to 7 all day long. I come home, I'm on my trusty one.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

This is really interesting to read from everyone. I guess I forgot to throw in myself earlier that no computer or internet might as well be the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    Except when leaving the dishwasher attached and running, requiring the water to be left on also ends up draining the water heater all night, leaving you with cold showers in the morning. Something I detest.
    I take showers at night, so not a big deal for me I guess.

Speaking of, I am REALLY going to miss the Japanese bathing/shower system.

As for the computer/internet thing. I use them everyday. Doesn't mean I take them for granted as I've been without before. Like so many other things, the longer you use it, the harder it is when it's gone.

I remember whenever I visit my dad, he inevitably forgets when I am taking a shower and turns the dishwasher on...

In this current house with antique pluming, the shower faucets have a mind of their own and can be prone to turning themselves at random (and much more likely if someone turns a faucet on somewhere). Its been interesting.

Wow what a great thread... Interesting to see what people would miss most. For me...

1 - Bike (I use it a lot ... my present speedometer battery died just shy of 7000 miles).
    2 - Car (arguably tied for No. 1 ... I'd be doomed without it)
    3 - Internet. I got it in 1996 with Aol and it was just magic. Before that I still used computers for programming/gaming, so ...
    4 - Computers ... brought purpose to bad weather days.

Rakku

Computer/internet. Being out of work and suffering with depression this is my lifeline. Keeps me sane(ish)

Heh. Computer/internet is also really important for me. But I already know I'd miss it pretty badly.

Speaking of dishwashers, ours was broken a little while ago, and that was a lot of trouble. So, the dishwasher's another thing for me. The washing machine and dryer too.

Chairs and cups.

For the same reason. I'm a clumsy, compressed hurricane of wanton, unintentional annihalation.

Try no car in an area that has crappy public transportation...toaster???internet???? I have to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by alastar devil View Post
    Try no car in an area that has crappy public transportation...toaster???internet???? I have to laugh.
    Ehh, I am in that sort of state... but mind you It is something I am accustomed to... so I've been getting around on a bike. It isn't as fast as a car but it is faster than walking and gets you exercised.

Our "New" toaster started arcing in the slot when the thing goes down. >_> For those who have no idea what I mean, imagine lightning in your toaster slot.

Well, that's the end of that toaster.

A small (possibly bright) flash from the lever slot when turning off is somewhat normal for some designs.

Multiple flashes, pops, or a sustained, buzzing arc is not.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Thread Information