Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypocrytes...

Default Hypocrytes...

Hypocrytes...

I have tennitivly decided to quit this wonderfull game due to what I consider Role Play hypocrytes. These are the people who I see bossing around and vetoing RP ideas on their own twisted views of making the server better, claiming the drama out of hand, yet continue to play HEAVY drama characters while demanding this. As well as additional heavy drama related characters being made in their group.

If they demand me playing non-drama non interesting normal dragons, I demand they do as well. If they can tell me I cant do a roleplay on their ideals, why oh why can I not be able to tell them they cant do their drama role plays as well? Oh yes, they were here first, they have the right to be drama... but I have to bow to their whims.

Recently I was asked by a roleplayer why I could consider what I was considering. In reply to why I was planning a RP I answered truthfully about the server.

You tell , '((Humor.. and levity...))'
    You tell , '((You have all these grumpy evil and hatefully played blight characters that try to scare hatchlings))'
    You tell , '((Take XXXX vempire.. then make it need to eat blight/blighted blood. you got hatchlings that see them as food... *insert mental image of several hatchlings chasing <name of evil blighted dragon character> around*))'
    You tell , '((No plan to be some evil nasty atrocious beasts))'

And the reply to that was,

tells you, '((Uhm... I have XXXX. That's all. She isn't blighted in the least, and she's only usually grumpy when people annoy her. Like what happened with <another of my characters>, eh? And there is no humor or levity in a character like that. It's a walking unfunny joke that's just helping the community look more and more RIDICULOUS as time goes by. I have my own reasons for wanting to salvage this place, and I'm not the+'
    tells you, '+only one who feels it's going to the dogs these days. Maybe you can't see it, but it's happening. You got your blight dragon, you contributed to the annoying blight drama that ensued, isn't that enough? Now we have <nice blight hatchling> as well, who is blighted. Among many other strange and just... ******** combinations, like XXXX. Do you REALLY have to contribute to that? I'm near begging people to+'
    tells you, '+just stop for once and think about what they're doing before they go and send another oddjob character into this tiny RP community :/ ))'

Eh, I dont know about you but this kind of reply really grates on my nerves.. I dont care how pasionate some one is. To get up in someones face like this is uncalled for. Later on when mentioning Hypocrytical I got this...

tells you, '((I do have a normal dragon, actually... You just don't know which it is. Furthermore, I realize my character isn't normal, but what you fail to understand is I made her this way BEFORE the influx of freak-dragons. Do you get that? BEFORE. I can't just go and change her back, so instead I like to let people know that the number of freaks is getting to be too much. I'm not a hypocrit.))

My read on this statement, I'm not changing my roleplay but I am going to make other people change theirs. Well that itself bleeds Hypocrytical to me.

Someone mentioned some statements made by this player after I logged stating herself that the actions and statements made to me were on a selfish nature. She was mad I ignored her... Well, I ignored her for the same reason she should have ignored me and my Roleplays, they did not concern her... However later after this private tell section, even the person I was doing this RP with turned to this players side suddenly and without warning.

I had worked on this RP for about the last 2 months... to have one person walk in and say no.. then everyone follow and make it invalid. I play to have fun... They tell me how and in what form I am allowed to have fun? That is not fun. And I consider it harassing.

Just so you know, my actions to this person were tempered by various past instances watching her flame new players for trying RP things that conflicted with her(demons blight etc) and for new people that have had not built up the habbit yet to ((block out their OOC))

Many people have been driven off by rather harsh words and actions by the older players, I have resisted for a long while, but meh. If they are going to dictate how I can have fun and what I can do, I dont need to be there any more.

Soraii/Alaysar/Taylus
    Last edited by Velea; August 3rd, 2009 at 12:03 AM.

Default Re: Hypocrytes...

Wow, that's the first time I've heard of someone's RP character being too "weird". I don't think there are any grounds for complaining about someone's RP character so long as it complies with the RP conduct rules set by Virtrium.

As for the one complaining about the quality of RP on the shard, you get out what you put into a shard community. Hate and frustration go in, hate and frustration come out; fun and good times go in, fun and good times come out. Guide the community's direction by playing the way you want it to go, not by eliminating those who disagree with your vision.

*scratches head* Are vampire dragons and other very non-canonical "races" common lore on Order? Those sound like something begging to get Jossed.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

For once, it wasn't me.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

as far as i care to be honest they can demand all they want they have no rights regardless of what they may think they do they can not tell another person or persons to rp in a way they want them to. So in my view of it they are the ones that should step back and think about the drama they might be causing before tring to go after another

/soapbox

a comment was made recently that the weird characters (vampire/etc) were non-cannon and thus could be considered as out-of-place in istaria as rl stuff like popular television shows or spaceships.

for me personally, i come to istaria to get away from rl. although i do not play any non-cannon characters, the weird fantasy i generally have no issue with; the main exception i make is if characters get maliciously violent with one another or one "forces" another to do something against their will. given that we're all supposed to be united against the withered aegis, i don't think that fighting amongst ourselves in public areas is particularly appropriate - especially in new trismus, where folks new to the game and unsure of the community may get a very different impression than what they are more likely to encounter from most players.

in a recent roleplay in new trismus (i think the descriptions of this particular incident were in private chat rather than local but not 100% sure), a character was jumped extremely violently without the player having any ooc forewarning it would happen. regardless of what ic actions may have prompted it, a player courtesy would be to let them know what is coming up so the player does not freak out at what is done to their character. along with that, it would be helpful for someone ooc to clue new arrivals to a rp what is going on. i would hope the new arrival would send a tell to someone to ask, but that has not always happened.

rp is very fun if all participants agree on what is going on. *please* consider your participants & audience when rp'ing anything of questionable content.

/offsoapbox

ooc warning an such are always welcome to me an ya public rp of that nature in a starter island would give the wrong impressions may even drive some of the new comer off all together

I saw those chars often, and the only thing I could do is to use the /ignore feature that they don't annoy the heck out of me with their wierd RP things...

Of course some people seem to have such a boring RL that they think they need to bring drama in a game where people just want to have fun and relax, and use "roleplay" as a excuse to insult people. *sigh*

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I would suggest,that such kind of rp should be made at more private places.

Iataria is big and there are a lot of places that would fit better than the starter Island.

I do not quite understand the intention behind choosing this place
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Alright...

I'm going to see if I can be as eloquent now as I was last night.

I mentioned this handy little feature called /ignore when I logged into this last night. What I don't get is why people don't use it. It's easy, no thought required, and then you don't have to worry about certain characters because they just don't exist to you anymore. It's wonderful, and I love it, and I think I will be using more often.

Now then, with that said, I'm jumping to the defense of the player mentioned in the first post. Why? Because I've already told the player my view on this, and have said that at this point it's better to ignore people and quit going /headwall. As much as I appreciate her willingness to try to enforce some sort of standard (since of course no one else will, and I don't care enough to do so) I have told her sometimes she can be too outspoken and sometimes it's best to just be quiet. Why? Because this doesn't sound like a thread about "hypocrites" in general, but just one.

I've said to several, including the "hypocrite", that there's no reason to blow an RP to pieces before seeing what comes of it. Since they've gotten theirs, now, I'm going to give you yours.

It's your choice to quit. It's your choice to RP as you wish. It's your choice to listen to other people, and react in whatever way it is you want to. You have the choice to ignore them. Use that ignore function, it really does work. If you want to leave the game for what is actually a very small handful of people, that's your choice as well. But I've been watching these things go on, and really, it's not hard to ignore.

But I'm not going to ask you to stay. I've heard "I'm leaving" several times now. Over a player, over an RP scenario, over things that should be easy to ignore. If you can't stand them that much, why not put them on ignore? I could really go on about how ridiculous I think this is, but ultimately it won't matter.

I agree with Takora. I'm a long time RPer in real life and there are limits that all should know not to cross. It's not something cryptic, just common curtesy. Shame so many think they should be on Order when Chaos would better suit them, because that's all there petty meta gaming results in.

I've gotten to the point where I only PR with a few players in controlled chats, and am even reconsidering a request from someone possibly involved in this.
    Coral Emberdrake (Adventurer 50/Crafter 70/Lairshaper 22 Dragon Hatchling)

Fyrenan Silentsong, Demothene Mater[/URL]

But Kandrin... I did, I listened to her complain, and said you know what, I am not going to listen to her. and in a few hours... that role play that had been fine for months.. with many people, mysteriously became a bad and evil thing and had to be canceled.

I have no proof, put when people turn 180degrees in a couple hours from supporting you in your saying to this person that I dont care her views... to supporting that person that the roleplay was bad. I feel there was behind the scenes rp stomping... I wont stand for that.

Soraii/Alaysar/Taylus

You know I like you, Taylus... and I hope you can remember our conversation the other night about me.

But seriously, a blighted vampire dragon? Isn't that really beating the dead horse?

Obviously you won't be convinced to stay, so I wish you well in whatever you do. I also wish you didn't take this drama here. -_-

Sheriff of the Order Roleplay Police Squad

[QUOTE=Veya;229316]But seriously, a blighted /Blood Demon/ dragon? Isn't that really beating the dead horse?QUOTE]

Well I can modify that with two words to show how hypocrytical that is.

And why the heck cant I rp in a way I want to rp without the order you-can't-rp-that squad from stomping over it so they can have their own rediculous characters? Like they have said, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT IGNORE IT. But no.. stomp stomp stomp stomp. You will RP in a manner we approve of or you will not RP even if the rp is not something connected with us.

A certain group can make new characters faulted in any way if they are direct related to established characters they take that trait from the first one... The general consensus being that they are working to destroy the lands or something like that... I have not once made a character to destroy the lands to bring darkness to blah blah blah drama. My Character? Taylus' drama got directed at him from other players, I rolled with it. I had no plan ever to make an "evil" character... But no... my ideas and rp is stupid and outrageous... eh compared to others out there it is not even something to consider... but no it HAS to be stomped...
    Last edited by Soraii; August 2nd, 2009 at 06:11 PM.

Okay, since almost everybody here knows it's me any way, I think I'll post. I was really hoping this issue wouldn't escalate to requiring Its own Forum whinefest, but apparently I overestimated people, as usual.

Pardon my disorganized manner of posting, but I'm going to try and address most of these points made against me and/or my friends.

"I have tennitivly decided to quit this wonderfull game due to what I consider Role Play hypocrytes. These are the people who I see bossing around and vetoing RP ideas on their own twisted views of making the server better, claiming the drama out of hand, yet continue to play HEAVY drama characters while demanding this. As well as additional heavy drama related characters being made in their group." - I have hardly started any drama worth groaning over in the longest time. True the Iyrevi things are getting a bit dramatic, but I'm trying my best to get that situation under control. As for my friends, any drama they create, you will find has absolutely nothing to do with the public. A few slip ups here and there, but most of my "darker" friends RP as though they're completely separate from the rest of the world and, lastly, their characters are unique, much less generic, and... quite frankly, believable in this sense. This isn't really my argument, but you insisted on bringing them up so I'm going to say something in their defense.

"If they demand me playing non-drama non interesting normal dragons, I demand they do as well. If they can tell me I cant do a roleplay on their ideals, why oh why can I not be able to tell them they cant do their drama role plays as well? Oh yes, they were here first, they have the right to be drama... but I have to bow to their whims."
    - Normal dragons can be very interesting, you know. I myself roleplay with quite a few completely normal dragons/characters, and like I mentioned, I DO have normal character(s) myself, pardon me if I don't say which they are. Also, during our arguement you had mentioned normal dragons being ignored or tossed away in Roleplay... Well, ever think that the reason that is, is because there are so many freaks now, that they kinda of block/cancel out the norms? Your solution to that is to create MORE strange/odd/questionable characters? Where is the sense in that?

As another smaller note, you keep mentioning drama, but the whole 'Blight Dragon' thing was one of the most long-winded drama scenarios I've ever seen in the game so far, and you still kept your character blighted in the end any ways so drama can't really be that much of a hinderance to you. As for my own character, some might notice that I've toned Xeffer down a LOT in recent months. She's odd, she has freakish issues, but aside from being grumpy, not liking to be annoyed, and having an extremely peculiar appetite, she's quite normal.

"My read on this statement, I'm not changing my roleplay but I am going to make other people change theirs. Well that itself bleeds Hypocrytical to me." - See the above notes. I did change things. As well as, I wasn't asking you to CHANGE any of your current roleplay, I was asking you to consider the character you hadn't even made yet and the consequences it might bring. Light-hearted or not, you KNOW a blight-vampire hatchling would cause an IC fuss, that would likely be prolonged by the hatchling's sadness for being what it is, nobody being able to cure it, etc etc. I've seen this a lot these days.

"Someone mentioned some statements made by this player after I logged stating herself that the actions and statements made to me were on a selfish nature. She was mad I ignored her... Well, I ignored her for the same reason she should have ignored me and my Roleplays, they did not concern her... However later after this private tell section, even the person I was doing this RP with turned to this players side suddenly and without warning."
    - I consider putting someone on Ignore to be one of the rudest things you can do, especially since there was a time I really liked you and considered you something of a friend. Had you not insulted and ignored me, this issue likely would have been solved between us and ENDED between us, rather than become... what ever this is. I'm a mean person some times, I'll admit that, but I also love to work things out. Despite my agression, me 'getting up in your face' was my attempt at understanding and maybe coming to an agreement/friendly term with what was going on.

"Just so you know, my actions to this person were tempered by various past instances watching her flame new players for trying RP things that conflicted with her(demons blight etc) and for new people that have had not built up the habbit yet to ((block out their OOC))" - I like to let new players know about the OOC thing because nobody did for me when -I- started out, and had no idea how RPing in an MMO was done. Yes, some times I like to be a little mean about it, or jest about the Order Police business, but that's all it is... jesting. Having fun. I'm an agressive person in honesty and in humor, that's just me. When I see another potentially generic character coming in, yes, I'll say something... I know someone who did change their RP because of it, and they have displayed zero anger or dislike or any kind of grudge towards me whatsoever since. Do you WANT a bunch of demons, blights, psycho, darkness, etc dragons running around? If you all truly want that, then maybe I'll consider shutting up, but until then I'm going to say something. Contrary to likely belief, my 'twisted' views do come from honest care for this server, and those in Its community. This is my home, my sanctuary where I've found my will to RP again, and I'm sure many others feel the same way. It's not pleasant to have a messy home. Pardon the cheesy analogy, but really that's how I some times see it.

Any way, this is long enough, so I think I'll end this here. Really hoping this is going to help CLOSE the issue rather than re-spark it, but only time will tell.

I didn't want you to leave, Alaysar, but this is what you chose. Whether you find any shred of honesty in it or not, I wish you well and hope you can find a place to have fun again should you go looking for one.

Lastly, I do want to publicly thank those who did confront me about this properly. I've since realized some of the errors of my ways and am going to do my best to change them and 'tame' my rather outspoken agression before it gets too bad. You guys rock and know who you are <33
    Last edited by Velea; August 3rd, 2009 at 12:04 AM.

[QUOTE=Soraii;229317]
    Quote Originally Posted by Veya View Post
    But seriously, a blighted /Blood Demon/ dragon? Isn't that really beating the dead horse?QUOTE]

Well I can modify that with two words to show how hypocrytical that is.

And why the heck cant I rp in a way I want to rp without the order you-can't-rp-that squad from stomping over it so they can have their own rediculous characters? Like they have said, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT IGNORE IT. But no.. stomp stomp stomp stomp. You will RP in a manner we approve of or you will not RP even if the rp is not something connected with us.
    Okay, so like.. I tried to be nice, but you've got your facts wrong, babe.

Shagreth is just a demon, in fact, he likes being a dragon. He's not blighted. He hates the blight. He refuses to even be around anything that has to do with blight.

So thank you for that. I can't see why you couldn't just leave peacefully instead of picking fights with anyone who shows any indication of disagreeing with your choice. Some peoples' characters even had problems with the idea, and you still stomp on their faces. Please just stop the madness.

Sheriff of the Order Roleplay Police Squad

Let me tell you something, Al. One person (who, from what I understand, was supposed to be part of this RP of yours) was actually upset when you took off. She was extremely disappointed, and more put off that everyone slammed it without giving it a chance to start.

There's an ignore list you can use. Put people on it.

But you're leaving, right? No point in putting them on it, now.

People liked you, Al, and you bucked. That's your own problem. I asked you to stick around before, and instead you trashed an RP and took off for something else. Now you're doing it again with other people. From where I'm sitting and watching, you've done this to yourself. There's nothing stopping you from outright ignoring people... but you ignore those that support you, and pay attention to critics.

If leaving is your best option, then go for it. But it's -your- option, and your choice, and no one here made it for you. You CAN roleplay the way you want to, no one's forcing you to do otherwise. There were plenty of people who were tolerant, if not outright supportive, but you're deciding to take off instead.

Everything that's happened, and gone on, was done by choice. I saw plenty of opportunity for things to be changed, but when people are so set on whatever their vice is (blight, vampire, demon, possession, whatever it is) there comes a point where there's no reason to keep trying to "cure" them, or "help" them, because it stops at the player.

You've made this point very clear. It's a shame the multiple points here can't be made to you.

Just as a general observation and something to think about for everyone, if you play a nasty tempered, rude or chronically depressed dragon and do not develop them into anything else, the actions and negative thinking of your characters WILL reach you as a player.

I've seen this in countless players that end up leaving because the game is 'not fun' 'no one likes me' whatever the reason.

In my honest opinion, this is no one's fault but your own. Both because you're trapped by the actions of your character and because you don't have the gall to talk to each other OOC.

If it's that complicated (because you're both playing far out characters), you might have to get together in an OOC discussion and script some RP to get it to work.

Hey, I had to do it on a number of occasions. Why? So I don't step on other player's toes! Or end up hurting their characters+them with what I'm doing. RP is way easier when you are all on the same page.

Delaware, USA that little state no one knows about XP

I'm gone for like a week and I find all of this lovely drama happening without me! x3 But um... anyways. This whole thing is kind of distressing because with all of the recent happenings (people getting all upset for XYZ reasons and leaving, blah blah) just kind of makes it seem like our community on Order is falling apart. I can understand where the different sides are coming from though; I suppose there has been an influx of "non-normal"/blight dragons and people are getting tired of it. But also some people want to be more than just your average joe. Because I have characters that fall into those two categories I can see both sides. I got tired of playing nice characters so I decided to make an evil one. I made him a blight dragon because I knew he'd be seen as an enemy right off. At the time I really never heard about a whole lot of blight dragons so I thought it'd be cool, but I guess there are/were a lot more than I thought apparently. But anyways, even though I guess I kinda add to the problem of there being too many unoriginal blight dragons or whatever, I'm not going to stop playing him. I enjoy my character even if others don't. I just RP with those who don't have a problem with my blight dragon and don't RP with those who do have a problem. That's all. They don't step on my toes and I don't step on theirs. I guess I don't understand why all of this nonsense has to come about and I guess it boils down to me being on that "just ignore 'em" side of the fence. *shrugs* Honestly though! If you don't like a person's character don't RP with that character! There's no need to try and enforce what kind a character people can make or not make. Sure there are cases like if someone made an uber-character or something, but I have yet to run into characters like that.

But it is quite unfortunate that you feel that you have to leave Soraii. I really enjoyed RPing with you. Taylus did have a big impact on Selarth's life.
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard
    Want a pic of your character? Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by BrightCat View Post
    But also some people want to be more than just your average joe.
    If you'll excuse me, I'd like to grab this point and run with it.

Addressing a vague gestalt of Istaria's RP community:
    You don't need special abilities and bizarre conditions to make your character unique. Background and personality are the keys to doing so. Strive for subtlety and depth. Throw a few non-violent hobbies into the mix. Learn the official lore and adhere to it; extend it gently, with an aim for balance and moderation. If your character is drawn into RP that involves drama and flashiness, stick to your guns but allow some development and evolution to occur.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

I love you, Vhaz.

Thread Information