Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypocrytes...

Default Re: Hypocrytes...

Alaysar / Taylus, I will only say that:
    it is your choice if you want to leave, but it makes me sad to see you leave because of this little issue...
    I like you, and your character belongs to you only. It is you who can decide what to do with Taylus.
    I hope truely to see you on this game again.
    That was my thoughs about it.

Very well said Xoshara, truly if you want to be unique these days, just be a normal Istarian born dragon. I havent played in almost 2 months now, because I've gotten tired of all the drama, that and all rp simply must revolve around a handful of characters "condition". I know that at least a few of these "unique" characters have driven off a few players when their character (very ICly) refused to believe/accept/be ok with the fact that the other character is a vampire/demon/offspring of Helian and Vandus....

There's streching the lore to fit then there's pretending the lore doesnt even exsist.

And there is harassing people who just want to play their game ((yes guys this is a game)) because of some stupid desire for everyone to conform to your ideals.

This is a game, I played it to have fun. I played it to have fun in a way that I deemed fun, with the understanding I dont go out and bother people with my fun if it is evident they don't want to be. That being said, what I wished to do what I found fun, in no way was any right or concern of any other who did not accept it. It is my right to have fun how I wish and not how I am told to.

"There's streching the lore to fit then there's pretending the lore doesnt even exist."

There is also knowing it's a game and having fun. When all is said and done, that's all there is. Having fun with your friends, or having a bad time, being harassed and quit.
    Last edited by Velea; August 3rd, 2009 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soraii View Post
    And there is harassing people who just want to play their game ((yes guys this is a game)) because of some stupid desire for everyone to conform to your ideals.

This is a game, I played it to have fun. I played it to have fun in a way that I deemed fun, with the understanding I dont go out and bother people with my fun if it is evident they don't want to be. That being said, what I wished to do what I found fun, in no way was any right or concern of any other who did not accept it. It is my right to have fun how I wish and not how I am told to.

"There's streching the lore to fit then there's pretending the lore doesnt even exist."

There is also knowing it's a game and having fun. When all is said and done, that's all there is. Having fun with your friends, or having a bad time, being harassed and quit.

I can't make anybody do anything. I say what I have to say and they choose.

Also, you don't seem to consider the fact that serious RPers like myself consider our fun being hindered when we're surrounded by ridiculous and unbelievable characters. We like to have fun too, you know, and like I keep saying, pickings are slim because we are such a small community. The quality of the pickings is what matters to us. Quality, in fact, is quite important in an RP community and that's what I'm trying to get people to consider before they make new characters that are out of the norm. After Xeffer, I've been considering my characters a LOT, for the sake of those who tire of dark and/or violent and nasty characters, or characters with too many problems that the players refuse to fix.

Folks,

Please remember and respect forum rules when making your posts on this thread as well as any others.

Thank you.

The quality of the pickings? So it is ok to take and run people off if it doesnt fit those rules? In other words, We dont want you if you wont play by our rules.

The quality of the pickings? So it is ok to take and run people off if it doesnt fit those rules? In other words, We dont want you if you wont play by our rules.
    I don't run anybody off. Like I said, their choice.

And no, it's more along the lines of "We would like you to try and keep things believable and fresh". Is that too much to ask?

In the end it goes both ways. There've been people that have been driven from the game by those with "unique" characters because their "normal" character didnt believe that such a thing as a vampire/blight/whatever was possible/real, or reacted badly to finding out that the other was "unique" Icly, whith ooc comments similar to yours, and viseversa.

Quite frankly there are folks on both sides of the argument (myself included) that need to quit trying to force everyone to play their way.

Yes.

Believable and fresh. nothing is fresh, everything is based upon our past. Things we have read things we have seen things we have hear... and Really what if that RP happens to be "fresh" to that person? The "unique dragon" has been extensivly been done... the "normal" dragon has also fairly extensivly been done.

There is no requirement for that person to entertain anyone but themselves. If they are rping it it's because they want to.

If someone finds what that other person is doing, unoriginal and unbelievable.. then they dont have to listen.

I am not here to entertain you.

Yes.

Believable and fresh. nothing is fresh, everything is based upon our past. Things we have read things we have seen things we have hear... and Really what if that RP happens to be "fresh" to that person? The "unique dragon" has been extensivly been done... the "normal" dragon has also fairly extensivly been done.

There is no requirement for that person to entertain anyone but themselves. If they are rping it it's because they want to.

If someone finds what that other person is doing, unoriginal and unbelievable.. then they dont have to listen.

I am not here to entertain you.

'Fresh' as in something that doesn't already exist within the IC realm. I am well aware that no idea is entirely unique anymore and Its hard to make a character that hasn't been done before. I am talking about in this Shard ONLY.

As for the entertainment part... Again, small community, every character contributes to the IC world (Some more than others) and everyone is, in a way, responsible for entertaining someone else. You can't roleplay with yourself. You HAVE to entertain someone else and, in turn, be entertained by them. This is how RPing works.

But it doesnt mean I am obliged to entertain you. There are people there I avoid and dont role play with.

This all started about a role play I had planned out, nothing mainstay, something a few people chuckled about, the various people I talked to thought it was humorous, the person I was rping with thought it was humorous as well. And Up untill the /tell talk that was had before the ascension, still agreed with it and supported my view that what was said didnt matter.

However oddly as soon as the ascension was over, and we went off to talk a bit of rp, all of a sudden this rp I had been talking about to friends for 2 months all of a sudden turned to be suddenly changed to fit in with the views I had just hours before opposed. No talk no anything, Just we are doing it this way.

Odd about that rather 180degree turn. The thing is, I started this rp because some people found the result humorous... and started it for them and guided the rp in that direction. With the rapid and complete turn around, the only thing I can guess is ooc tells.

Would I have done any of this RP had those people opposed it? No. There would have been no hurt feeling no worry about what some people would say. But Just hours after telling someone I was not going to change my rp for their view which was irrelevent... then the important people turned and held those views I had just said I would not listen to the other person for....

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about role playing nor do I have any opinion on this dark/light/blighted roleplay other than ?????...

Levity aside, there is far too much insistence on conforming to one group or another group's paradigm of what the community should be, how players need to behave in it (even up to and including the pricing of items on a connie on Blight). Seriously, if the price is too high, don't buy it <shrug>. But I do very much disagree with the mentality that each person's playstyle needs to "fit in" to other's expectations. As long as code of conduct is being followed, play how you want.

And my personal view of RP is (not that I know anything about it); if players like it and it's fun, they'll participate, if they don't, they won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

But it doesnt mean I am obliged to entertain you. There are people there I avoid and dont role play with.

This all started about a role play I had planned out, nothing mainstay, something a few people chuckled about, the various people I talked to thought it was humorous, the person I was rping with thought it was humorous as well. And Up untill the /tell talk that was had before the ascension, still agreed with it and supported my view that what was said didnt matter.

However oddly as soon as the ascension was over, and we went off to talk a bit of rp, all of a sudden this rp I had been talking about to friends for 2 months all of a sudden turned to be suddenly changed to fit in with the views I had just hours before opposed. No talk no anything, Just we are doing it this way.

Odd about that rather 180degree turn. The thing is, I started this rp because some people found the result humorous... and started it for them and guided the rp in that direction. With the rapid and complete turn around, the only thing I can guess is ooc tells.

Would I have done any of this RP had those people opposed it? No. There would have been no hurt feeling no worry about what some people would say. But Just hours after telling someone I was not going to change my rp for their view which was irrelevent... then the important people turned and held those views I had just said I would not listen to the other person for....

I have no control whatsoever on what your friends and RP partners decided. I did not talk to a single one of them OOCly before or after our discussion in Tells.

Maybe my 'irrelevant' view changed theirs when I spoke about it in DC, maybe not. Either way, I had no direct hand in what they chose at all, so I'm sorry if your friends went and turned on you like that, but I had nothing to do with it :/

sending a pm.

I would think that anyone could be whatever they wanted. I someone wants to play a dragon that thinks it's a giant miniature space hamster, then I say go for it.

And no one in-game should apply pressure for someone to play by THEIR standards...

"Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

my few cents

We should be glad it isn't a PvP game.

Use the Ignore function.
    Live and let live.
    Don't pretend the way you play is the only right way and certainly don't publicly judge others according to that.
    Lighten up. It's a game!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Just as a general observation and something to think about for everyone, if you play a nasty tempered, rude or chronically depressed dragon and do not develop them into anything else, the actions and negative thinking of your characters WILL reach you as a player.

I've seen this in countless players that end up leaving because the game is 'not fun' 'no one likes me' whatever the reason.

In my honest opinion, this is no one's fault but your own. Both because you're trapped by the actions of your character and because you don't have the gall to talk to each other OOC.

If it's that complicated (because you're both playing far out characters), you might have to get together in an OOC discussion and script some RP to get it to work.

Hey, I had to do it on a number of occasions. Why? So I don't step on other player's toes! Or end up hurting their characters+them with what I'm doing. RP is way easier when you are all on the same page.
    Elders and wise...

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind... let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

What be this page, and of what parchment, that I should set me on ? And is, of necessity, ' easy' the wind to follow?

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

staying in character when you abide by the context & lore of the game and are helpful/nice to other players seems like there should be no issue with it. as far as i can tell, this whole thing blew up because of folks roleplaying characters that are not really consistent with game lore and then running into disagreements on how the roleplaying should go. where there is such discord, ooc messages may help resolve the issue(s) so that the ic roleplay goes more smoothly. required? no... but those involved will deal with the consequences of whether they choose that route or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ScaleIron View Post
    Let me tell you something, Al. One person (who, from what I understand, was supposed to be part of this RP of yours) was actually upset when you took off. She was extremely disappointed, and more put off that everyone slammed it without giving it a chance to start.

There's an ignore list you can use. Put people on it.

But you're leaving, right? No point in putting them on it, now.

People liked you, Al, and you bucked. That's your own problem. I asked you to stick around before, and instead you trashed an RP and took off for something else. Now you're doing it again with other people. From where I'm sitting and watching, you've done this to yourself. There's nothing stopping you from outright ignoring people... but you ignore those that support you, and pay attention to critics.

If leaving is your best option, then go for it. But it's -your- option, and your choice, and no one here made it for you. You CAN roleplay the way you want to, no one's forcing you to do otherwise. There were plenty of people who were tolerant, if not outright supportive, but you're deciding to take off instead.

Everything that's happened, and gone on, was done by choice. I saw plenty of opportunity for things to be changed, but when people are so set on whatever their vice is (blight, vampire, demon, possession, whatever it is) there comes a point where there's no reason to keep trying to "cure" them, or "help" them, because it stops at the player.

You've made this point very clear. It's a shame the multiple points here can't be made to you.
    HAH it's a good thing this virus came when it did, maybe a blessing in disguise.

THIS here though, THIS is an excellent point.

I seperated Atlanna from DC and a good portion of the RP community because I was tired. I was tired of DC being dominated by the drama/rp of two to three people, the OP being one of them. My character became MS. Support McSupporterson for these characters who constantly had to be consoled of something as they were constantly depressed about something or had SOME drama happening to them EVERY SINGLE DAY that I logged on. Thus leaving it hard for others to develop their own stories. As Kandrin has so eloquently stated here, so I chose to leave.

This choice had positive and negative connotations. The positive being I was much saner and not so moody with having to constantly stroke someone's hand and tell them how wonderful they are because that's all they want to hear all day. The negative being I isolated myself from many others, including the newer players playing hatchlings that I know I would have enjoyed rping with.

It boils down to the choice I made and that I had planned to go back until the McNasty took my computer's jerb!

This is not the first time you have blown up about this Al, and I knew the last time wouldn't be the last. I know some would have rather this not have come on the forums but let's face it: this was an escalating issue that was threatening to blow up for some time. Might as well take advantage of this and air our grievances so that we can come to an understanding.

I know that I am glad it did because alot of the points made in this forum have put things in perspective for myself and made me realize I had made some wrong decisions, mainly in isolating myself to my little corner to mutter incoherent ramblings to myself. You all have great points being made and I'm thankful for everyone's 2 cents.

/kicks computron
    Order Shard - Atlanna Embergaze 100/100 Adult:
    A'Sasha Windrider - Member of Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Thread Information