Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm really worried that Istaria will fall apart.

Post I'm really worried that Istaria will fall apart.

I'm really worried that Istaria will fall apart... I mean, you know, I don't want this game to die out, and if it does, then the greatest game of all will no longer exist... Can someone please tell me what will happen? Because not only does it cost alot of money to run a server, but with so few players, I think it might not survive. I want Istaria to survive, so please, tell me what's going to happen.

Default Re: I'm really worried that Istaria will fall apart.

A weird time to get worried, why? I just should stop worrieing, no need to, it's going better than it has been going for a long time.

And if it's not going to survive, it's not. That's life.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

heehee narrah, we elders players have been waiting for horizons to die for at least 4 years now.......

at this point in time, we are playing on borrowed time anyway - so rather than worry about the future, just be thankful for what you have now!!!

(personally, i survived the passing of the best game EVAH, and due to it, found the second best game EVAH, so just remember, every silver lining has a touch of grey...... )
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

if you play Istaria nearly 5 years, like I do- this nightmares will vanish
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I suspect that having survived the first few years, and seeing the upswing that the game is on now, even the most "gloom and doom" naysayer isn't going to be able to close the portal to Istaria any time soon.

Istarians should sleep peacefully at night knowing that everyone on the Virtrium team is working diligently to keep the doors open. But rest assured that should a time ever come when "The Zapper" finally does take the "Istaria" fly down for a final count, I'll be among the first to know and will pass word on quickly.

Tell you what's going to happen? I don't think anyone here has the power to predict the future.

In earnest, don't worry about Istaria dying any time soon. It has a passionate team developing it, and as Mal said in Serenity, "love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down." And right now it oughn't.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I would say if you have the worry nagging you all the time, do something about it. Get another subscription (even if it is a 9.95 non-plot one) or get a friend to subscribe.

I know when my money situation stabilizes, I plan on a third sub here, whether or not it'll be a plot or not. I also plan on upgrading one of the subscriptions.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Arrow Re: I'm really worried that Istaria will fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    (personally, i survived the passing of the best game EVAH, and due to it, found the second best game EVAH, so just remember, every silver lining has a touch of grey...... )
    OK, Vel .... I'll bite ... what was the best game EVAH?

Sent
    N.B.: I reserve the right to be wrong and exercise it frequently.
    AzureFire - Spiritist - Chaos
    Glormf Sulfurous - Hatchie - Chaos
    Ruddy Bloke - Reaver - Chaos

Don't worry Narrah! Istaria is still chugging along just fine.

The staff is just gearing up for a new advertising program: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=21446 and this is one of the times of the years USA MMOs have a little slump in subscriber activity due to the end of summer and students returning to school.

Even Herman, Nathaniel, & myself have been scarce recently due to family deciding furniture needed to be moved NOW and we've been recoving from that.

My T1 spells are still selling quite well and those sales I find are a great indicator of subscriber activity. So don't worry, old familiar faces to you will turn back up soon and new friendly faces wanting to say hello will continue to pop up.

Nellie Lovett/Ochre Tekton of Carmo on Order
    English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over & goes through their pockets for loose grammar. -=Paraphased from James Nicoll=- Unicorn's Lady's Dalliance

I remember a couple years ago when I was convinced that EI was bringing Istaria to a slow and agonizing demise. Guess which of the two is still around today! Istaria is a survivor, we just need to have faith in her and in Virtrium.

I sure would hate to think that all of the models and assets that we on the art team are building would be for naught. Which they certainly are not. There are some interesting things being designed and built that should be a lot of fun when they are in. And the T2 revamp of the landscape that is going on is very nice looking. I flew around above then ran around on foot for a couple of hours taking it all in the other day. Niiiice! For those that were around when Lesser Aradoth had a makeover, this is equally impressive if not more so and it is not even finished yet. We are including in our plans ideas and goals that are long term. I firmly believe that Istaria will be around to see them come into being. So don't fret, we are not going to be homeless any time in the foreseeable future.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by SentientSeeker View Post
    OK, Vel .... I'll bite ... what was the best game EVAH?

Sent
    another niche game (only ones that can handle me, apparently ) called earth and beyond......nothing and everything like horizons....

here is the old website - not much but at least its something: http://www.earthandbeyond.ca/

there is an emu, but i can't get it to run on any puter i have tried so far: http://www.enb-emulator.com/

still the game i judge all other games by........

Thanks for the info, Vel. I appreciate niche games as well. (I'll bet you've already tried A Tale in the Desert .... if not it is an interesting departure from your usual MMOs. Same thing for Ryzom)

Anyway, I'll definitely give those links you provided a look. Thanks again.

Sent
    N.B.: I reserve the right to be wrong and exercise it frequently.
    AzureFire - Spiritist - Chaos
    Glormf Sulfurous - Hatchie - Chaos
    Ruddy Bloke - Reaver - Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    another niche game (only ones that can handle me, apparently ) called earth and beyond......nothing and everything like horizons....

here is the old website - not much but at least its something: http://www.earthandbeyond.ca/
    *sigh* I loved that game... At least until Star Wars Galaxies came out. :P

E&B, great story, great visuals for the time (2002 i think), awesome exploration, cool mining... combat was meh. crafting was so-so.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Grrr. Earth and Beyond.

You know, if those stupid V'Rix would have just TALKED with me, they'd've found out I had that key thingie they were looking for and was TRYING to trade it to them. No, instead they start firing away and making my faction points do a nosedive.

Took me forever to find it out in the back end of Jenquai space, too!
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

it took me forever to finally get the clue on how to read v'rix.......
    i may be intelligent, but i am, by far, not the sharpest tool in the shed, as you all are aware.......

thanx god for screenies:

the reine du fromage before she was queen (but she still rulez as the uber cheese role pie) dancing her tuchus off in paren -

the queen and her moving throne (target 'the most beautiful ship in the universe' at 33, 20)

this is still the wallpaper for every puter i own -

i really really REALLY miss this game.......
    Last edited by velveeta; September 15th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

bah .. as one of the people who played the game from (almost) the beginning, I did not play beta but almost from the first time the actual game was released .. it has never ceased to amaze me how much this game will NEVER die. If you threw even one of the multiple obstacles that Istaria has faced at any normal mmorpg - they would have folded their skirts and departed - and yet after all these trials and tribulations Istaria does not only still kick - but it kicks stronger each and every day it continues..

My favorite quote comes from what I consider to be the greatest TV series ever created - and subsequently junked buy the producers (Firefly / Serenity) - BUT ..

"Love, you know all the math in the 'verse won't take a boat in the air that you don't love ... love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down.... love makes her a home ..."

"Storm's getting worse"

"We'll pass through it soon enough".

Istaria is built on love - no power in the 'verse can stop us.

Quote Originally Posted by Valornyx View Post

My favorite quote comes from what I consider to be the greatest TV series ever created - and subsequently junked buy the producers (Firefly / Serenity) - BUT ..

"Love, you know all the math in the 'verse won't take a boat in the air that you don't love ... love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down.... love makes her a home ..."

"Storm's getting worse"

"We'll pass through it soon enough".

Istaria is built on love - no power in the 'verse can stop us.
    Here's my favourite Firefly / Serenity quote..:

"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there a woman. Or if I'm getting paid. Well, specially if I'm getting paid. But there reavers..."

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    Here's my favourite Firefly / Serenity quote..:

"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there a woman. Or if I'm getting paid. Well, specially if I'm getting paid. But there reavers..."
    The Train Job

also a brilliant quote .. not that they do not abound. Lovely twists, reparte, and denouement, are the hallmarks of Joss Wheadon's writing.

In this particular case though I was trying to reply to the OP - who doubts the viability of the game - with that fact that this game has, does, and will continue to survive - because (like firefly) there are a bunch of people who love it so much.

Not least of all (in fact perhaps most of all) Rick and the other developers. The game will not only NOT die - but it will live and prosper because the people who make it do so because they love it. Love cannot die!

"Nothing but love! That`s what makes dragons fly" (Balthizar)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information