Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gamer's Info

Default Re: Gamer's Info

Awesome, Oak.

GamersInfo always gave me a headache anyway because the information isn't cataloged correctly. It was a pain and a half to slog through to create (much needed) lists that are clear and concise.

I would love to see an interactive database at some point.

I'm also happy to see the work that StalePopcorn is putting into the Wiki.
    ESAK: Explorer 93.33%, Socializer 53.33%, Achiever 40.00%, Killer 13.33%

I certainly can't take all of the credit - there are a number of Wiki editors in the background updating and correcting content along the way. I'm just the guy that wiki-spams every chance he gets

Hope this isn't derailing the thread, but... can people tell me what they are/were using Horizons GI for? I know there are the game guides, atlas, spells, forms etc, but were there specific purposes that Horizons GI was most used for? Between Chasing's site, the forums, the Wiki, and the Crafting Calculator, I would expect the vast majority of the information is covered. I'm interested to see if, between the "knowledge" out there, we can replicate and surpass Horizons GI. From memory GI hasn't been updated since 2007, would be good to either (a) get it updated, or more likely (b) replace it with other, more current, sources of information.
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

i primarily used it for info on classes - skills req, skills gained, all the new abilities gained, and *key* where to find trainers

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

My main look at GI.n involved skill interactions between the classes. For instance, fitter, miner, blacksmith all using the smelting skill, which one was best to max it out?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Note that many of the guides posted on GI.net were written by me while I was working for Ophelea back at the end of the Tulga days. If it is listed without a specific other author, then it's one I wrote for the GI.net site. (Since I was an employee there, specific authorship didn't have to be credited. )

With GI.net down, I'll repost those guides on the Istaria site as well as getting the ones Oakleif wrote up there. I worked hard on them, so it's good that they can now be posted right on the Istaria site itself. Silver lining to the cloud at all that.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i used gi primarily for skewl info - where trainers are, what spells to use, what some critters drop........
    also mined it for my draggy cave eggie names......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Basically I used it for the hard information that was provided for schools, formulas, techniques and so on.

The guides there were also quite helpful at times.

One thing that I've never seen on a resource site is a cross-reference chart of materials X tiers.

I would LOVE one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnir View Post
    Basically I used it for the hard information that was provided for schools, formulas, techniques and so on.

The guides there were also quite helpful at times.

One thing that I've never seen on a resource site is a cross-reference chart of materials X tiers.

That's what I mostly used it for, and the guide for the Trophies upon it too, that has been very helpful.

I also used it to get details about skills and abilities, i.e. what stats most affect things like smelting and evasion.

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    i primarily used it for info on classes - skills req, skills gained, all the new abilities gained, and *key* where to find trainers
    Coolies awdz, this info is available on each individual schools page. In particular the Trainers as well (such as Healer and Cleric), because that's exactly what I always used GI for School-specific quests are listed as well, but that isn't complete AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by C'Gan
    My main look at GI.n involved skill interactions between the classes. For instance, fitter, miner, blacksmith all using the smelting skill, which one was best to max it out?
    The individual skill pages, such as Smelting, should have this info, including what stat Dex/Str/Foc/Pow gives the best increase. LMK if we've missed any!

Quote Originally Posted by Velea
    With GI.net down, I'll repost those guides on the Istaria site as well as getting the ones Oakleif wrote up there. I worked hard on them, so it's good that they can now be posted right on the Istaria site itself. Silver lining to the cloud at all that.
    V - you are a legend! These guides helped me in my "early years" and still are great resources. Would be good to point newbies to them as well. Cheers to Oak too!

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta
    i used gi primarily for skewl info - where trainers are, what spells to use, what some critters drop........
    Still working on spells unfortunately OMG there are a lot lol we will be adding lists of spells by skill (Life, Aug, etc) as well as cross-referencing to individual schools (CLR, SPR, etc). Also linking to formulas too. Ahhhh if only I didn't waste my time with all this sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnir

I'm certain I've seen something like this Mags, I'll need to check... maybe someone else can remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Literath
    and the guide for the Trophies upon it too
    The Trophy Hunter page should be complete and up-to-date. I hope Formatting isn't finalised yet I'm still playing with that...

Note that Chasing's site also has a lot of this information, possibly more summarised/formatted than the Wiki, particularly since a largo portion of the old GI site has been copied over there. The spells in particular thank goodness! I'll leave Chasing to provide pointers to his info, I have a hard enough time keeping track of the Wiki-side lol
    Last edited by StalePopcorn; September 28th, 2009 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulamata View Post
    While down for good would be the maximum security case, I somehow doubt that they'd bother upgrading something destined to be discarded.
    So true. My virus scanner went crazy on that site lol.

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn View Post
    Note that Chasing's site also has a lot of this information, possibly more summarised/formatted than the Wiki, particularly since a largo portion of the old GI site has been copied over there. The spells in particular thank goodness! I'll leave Chasing to provide pointers to his info, I have a hard enough time keeping track of the Wiki-side lol
    Schools masterable abilities and spell lists
    http://www.crimson-dawn.org/index.php?p=55

Statistic bonuses to skills
    http://www.crimson-dawn.org/index.php?p=49

Craft school skill increases per lvl
    http://www.crimson-dawn.org/download...oolsmatrix.xls

I have a copy of the list of NPC's trainers etc from gamersinfo, but it is over 3 years out of date and given that NPC's have been removed or shifted about I dont think its worth posting the old list.

A list of resources by tier I havent seen except on the community site, there was a thread started about it. A could look at building a list of them at some point but I too busy with other bits at the moment.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

... Hope this isn't derailing the thread, but... can people tell me what they are/were using Horizons GI for? ...
    Primarily, I was using the GI for NPC searches, and critter location/drop searches. Course, both of those were becoming less and less useful as NPCs got bored and wandered off, and the loot and spawns have been shuffled and reshuffled since the last time GI received a data dump ('06 as I recall). But, a name searchable NPC list with Locs and "profession" would be rather useful. There's been many a time where the quest log just has a name, but no info at all on where the person is. Was in the dialog from the quest, but 3 weeks later, one tends to forget things like that. Or to be able to plug in: Quartermaster and get where they all are.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

i hope this is helpful; i threw together a table in Word but it does not copy/past right, so here's list format (parentheses denote bonuses):

Resource Tier I
    metal/ ores required - bronze/ copper & tin
    jewelry metal - bronze
    stone - sandstone
    essence - dim
    wood - cedar
    fiber - flax
    gems - malachite, garnet, turquoise
    fungus - istarian
    clay - adobe
    azulyte (dark) - viridian
    fish (squid) - minnow (shrimp)

Resource Tier II
    metal/ ores required - iron/ iron
    jewelry metal - silver
    stone - slate
    essence - pale
    wood - elm
    fiber - kenaf
    gems - amethyst, rose quartz, lapis lazuli
    fungus - browngill
    clay - earthenware
    azulyte (dark) - cerulean
    fish (squid) - bluegill (clam)

Resource Tier III
    metal/ ores required - steel/ nickel & iron
    jewelry metal - gold
    stone - granite
    essence - glowing
    wood - oak
    fiber - cotton
    gems - jasper, citrine, aquamarine
    fungus - rough cap
    clay - terra cotta
    azulyte (dark) - amber
    fish (squid) - bass (eels)

Resource Tier IV
    metal/ ores required - cobalt/ cobalt & nickel
    jewelry metal - platinum
    stone - obsidian
    essence - bright
    wood - maple
    fiber - silk
    gems - opal, topaz, jade
    fungus - stonespore
    clay - stoneware
    azulyte (dark) - titian
    fish (squid) - trout (lobster)

Resource Tier V
    metal/ ores required - mithril/ mithril & platinum
    jewelry metal - mithril
    stone - marble
    essence - shining
    wood - yew
    fiber - ironsilk
    gems - fire opal, peridot, emerald
    fungus - bloodcap (truffles?)
    clay - geostone
    azulyte (dark) - crimson
    fish (squid) - mackerel (crab, red snapper)

Resource Tier VI
    metal/ ores required - adamantium/ adamantium & mithril
    jewelry metal - adamantium
    stone - travertine
    essence - radiant
    wood - thornwood
    fiber - steelsilk
    gems - ruby, sapphire, diamond
    fungus - shadowstem (buttercup)
    clay - porcelain
    azulyte (dark) - violet
    fish (squid) - halibut (urchin, sword fish)

Okay i've added all the dragon building structures now including the newish transmute chamber.

Link to construction items
    http://www.crimson-dawn.org/index.php?p=139
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by walkerglassmire View Post
    Primarily, I was using the GI for NPC searches, and critter location/drop searches. Course, both of those were becoming less and less useful as NPCs got bored and wandered off, and the loot and spawns have been shuffled and reshuffled since the last time GI received a data dump ('06 as I recall). But, a name searchable NPC list with Locs and "profession" would be rather useful. There's been many a time where the quest log just has a name, but no info at all on where the person is. Was in the dialog from the quest, but 3 weeks later, one tends to forget things like that. Or to be able to plug in: Quartermaster and get where they all are.
    The vast majority (maybe 99%?) of NPCs have been added to the Wiki. Most have photos as well, though some are a bit shy and haven't been done yet Use the search box to enter the first name of the NPC, that should bring up the results. I only just finished Kirasanct last night (as far as pretty piccys go) and there is still a lot left, but locations (x/y), closest port, and names should be correct.

Ditto with quests as well, entering part of the quest name in the search should provide the quest info. Quartermasters are up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]i hope this is helpful; i threw together a table in Word but it does not copy/past right, so here's list format (parentheses denote bonuses):

*snip*
    Nice awdz! There is also another list on Pilgrim's site which should combine really well with yours (particularly for the Confectioner's out there).

Nice awdz! There is also another list on Pilgrim's site which should combine really well with yours (particularly for the Confectioner's out there).
    ...which is actually Weston LaDread's site - if you are out there somewhere, sry Weston

Thanks for the compilation, Awdz, and fantastic link for crafting resources, Stale.

Really something that I think should be part of standard game guides. The only thing really missing at this point are resource locations and recipes for how to make those base materials (especially when you're talking about the metals).

Quote Originally Posted by Magnir View Post
    Thanks for the compilation, Awdz, and fantastic link for crafting resources, Stale.

Really something that I think should be part of standard game guides. The only thing really missing at this point are resource locations and recipes for how to make those base materials (especially when you're talking about the metals).
    Most of the individual resource types (like Wood, Metal, Stone, etc) can be accessed via the Resources page on the wiki. These pages have general areas of where you can find the resources (i.e. North of Sslanis, etc), because the map-pack is still the best resource for exact locations.

The Horizons Crafting Calculator (HCC) is the bees-knees for knowing what you need in order to make stuff (OT - which reminds me, must buy a second monitor so I can have the HCC open all the time!)

OK, you guys are awesome, thanks for the links and thanks again to everyone involved in the Wiki. I'll have to browse through it in my downtime and see what needs help where and see what I can do to chip in.

I also think that the crafting calculator (and any other 'must-have' add-ons) should have a sticky thread for them somewhere around here.

Thread Information