Thread: Dragon Healer School

Default Dragon Healer School

After having a discussion with friends and bouncing ideas around, I thought I would post this on the forums for all to read and consider.

The future of Istari requires the game to stimulate new players, and attract old players back. New content is the way to do this, however I feel sorry for the devs who spend months and months developing a new area, to have eager players finish with the new content in a matter of weeks.
    Therefore I propose a new area of expansion to keep players occupied.

One of the things that keeps players interested in a MMORG is ongoing character development. Istaria is good for this because of the wide variety of multiclassing available to all, except dragons. There are many lvl 100 and ancient dragons out there who have built their lairs, and are at a bit of a loose end. I feel dragons are disadvantaged due to the lack of multiclassing available to them for character development.

I therefore propose that a new Dragon Healer School would be a good idea. Dragons are poor at healing, and I often have to watch friends die, because I can't heal enough, and then I have no res. (I'm but an adult).
    If an entirely new school were available this would give dragons more scope, and provide older players with a new area to work on. Getting 100 lvls in a new school would take some time.

Implementing the new school could be tricky, and will need to be well thought out. It should work similar to biped multiclassing. Things I myself and others have thought of to help this work are:

-Basic breeze, instant primal heal and buffs to stay in general adventure school, to facilitate young hatchie adventures and solo questing.
    - Other healing spells to go to new school.
    - Dragon trainer for new school with new low to high lvl quests to gain healing abilities and more advanced spells. Examples of advanced spells/ abilities would include: more powerful instant heal, group instant heals, more buffs eg. Bolster dex, str, health etc like the biped spells, and resurecction.
    - Resurrection only available to high lvl in school and costs hoard same as for ancient. Can only use resurrection and more powerful healing spells if healing class is active.
    - If healing class is active, you cannot have access to certain melee skills such as gold rage, silver strike, gold shield, and ravage (no big damage dealing skills as you are acting as a healer, not damage dealer).
    - Function similar to biped multiclassing where the higher the lvl you are in the school, the more access you have to healing spells when the adventure class is active.

This school would be for dragons who want to function as more of a cleric in group combat. This school would not be as useful for solo questing. It would be excellent for dragon groups, or for bipeds who want to melee.
    I propose this would be a good second adventure class to start with for dragons, with a view to adding more adventure and craft schools if this worked.

As Character development is a key area for holding player interest and making the game attractive, I propose that this would be a good thing to do for future new content. I look forward to reading your responses and hearing your opinions.
    If any devs are reading this- is this a possibility?

Default Re: Dragon Healer School

I, for one, think this is a great idea. I'm not sure if it would be difficult to implement in the game, but it should be possible, and I encourage it if so.

I agree! I think it is a great idea to add diversity to a Dragon's role in a group!

Though I'd be concerned about the group-oriented nature of the proposal. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for encouraging grouping. And I would love to play a healing Dragon if given the opportunity! But I couldn't do so (with my own time restraints in game) if forced grouping was the only way to advance.

I could understand if a healing school could still use the damage skills, but maybe with less effect (since they can offset lack of damge by self heals and the ability to stay alive longer). Or perhaps they could have access a different set of healer-only damage type skills? They may not be as good at soloing, but I feel it should still be plausable to some point. Then again, that's my stance on most classes... so don't mind me if you disagree or if your concepts are meant to go in a totally different direction.

Just brainstorming my thoughts.

The basic mistake here is that every class should have a purpose in a MMORPG, if you open ancient schools for dragons, like healing, you push away the other classes like cleric and healer, which would cause a great disbalance.

Dragons have already very powerfull healing if they are skilled towards that, let the healing job to the healer guys. If you want to be a dragon healer, get the techs and put your TPs in the right attributes.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...dragon+healing

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I agree with Tako.
    I`m strictly against a dragon healer school-
    we are priviledged to have a bit of everything- and that is how I understand being a dragon-at least here in Istaria.

The Istarian healers have a long, hard way to go until they reach level 100 /have the right equippment/weapons and have the ability to hold a group alive, which is fighting the bosses.
    I love our healers and appreciate their work. They are very special bipeds
    I see no sense in making them useless and take away their jobs.

Hail to all healers of Istaria!
    (and a special hail and hug to fidri, who was the first "master-healer" I met,
    and whose abilities made me speechless- back in the days of Unity when we fought the bosses for the first time )
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I would say rather than "healer" school, simply a "melee" school, and a "magic" school. better healing ability would be part of the magic school.

Also, as others have said, you can put tp's into primal, tech primal and focus on scales, and get better at healing. Tho I really don't recommend it (unless its for an rp character) since it would gimp your claws, which ultimately is your best defense. You wind up spending most of your spells just keeping yourself alive... Since Dragons rating stops at 100, any grouping with high rating peds makes you a target for mobs.

Dragons should not have to spend max tp's in t&c to be good melee fighters, nor should they have to put max tp's into primal to be decent casters/healers. So there is good reason for other schools, perhaps just a lttle differently imagined than a sole "healer" school (which we ought to leave to Healers). On the other side there are bits of lore that talk of Lunus "Healers" so there is in fact lore supporting the idea in general.

I have to agree with Tako on this one. the way is see it is if you gave dragons biped school ablities definate imbalance! all the nakas would want to fly.. then dragons are no longer unique. and would cause mass chaos.
    dragons are already more powerful than bipeds as is. (except when multiclassed to the extreme)

leave them as is are my 2 coppers worth. also as much as i love my dragon i am looking forward to new content for bipeds such at the tier revamps.. its bout time!

I dont like the idea. If it were ever put into the game i believe that teh races/classes of all kinds woiuld be integrated an then there would be virtually no difference between classes/races. Ex dragons goin biped 24/7 with wings to take biped classes or peds with wings an taking dragon classes. Nope doesnt work, so sry.
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

as a draggy player, i wouldn't mind a healer skewl - would def love more healer type spells and/or abilities and the ability to get a higher overall rating - even to 120 would be something.......

and as a ped player, i would not want flight as a trade off. draggys fly, peds run, that's the deal!

but then, i never got the whole ped vs. draggy thing anyway, but that's just me....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

As dedicated healers No, we have various bipeds for that.

Now adding different schools for dragons id say yes. Lets face it Dragons dont get much other than flying. Bipeds as they multi class can achieve and do things better than dragons atm. Once you max out your dragon well.. nothing more to do. You can collect tons of xtals and scales and run around changing em all the time to fight x type of mob with y protection to z type of attack. However, bipeds can do the same.

So yeah i have soloed a epic boss that way but i still needed buffs from naka in order to achieve it. Oh and plus a special scale that cannot be made anymore so for those dragons who have done the same, new dragons cannot.

To be blunt, Dragons are what brings people to try out istaria. Its different than being a biped race. But the lack of content compared to bipeds is very noticable.

there is enough lore to make prob 2 more classes for dragons. Will that replace bipeds. NO and you all darn well know it wont. We can have a true helian class , prob high resist to magic and act as an aoe or consistanly cast with weak melee attacks. Lunus can be more melee but lose skills to not make the original drg obsolete. Prob be capable of fighting a few mobs at the same time but no dmg burst like the original drg

Things can be added and well must be added. give dragons a bit more to do. I do have a biped and i do love how you can use other class skills. Bipeds once they start maxing out a few schools they Dominate pve. They crush groups of mobs with ease.

Allow dragons to preform even if its just a little bit better than what they are now. we need more skills and we all know that our gold attack is what makes us what we are, the rest of our attacks are just simple fillers until our gold attack is up for another swing. I would prefer to have more skills to use than one uber skill that i can spam every 15 sec.

Thread Information