Thread: Dragon games

Hybrid View

Default Re: Dragon games

Okay, so Divinity II is out on PC in Europe. The tables have turned with us NA users having to wait - or not! Getting an import PC copy in. I'll have to get the 360 version when it comes out here, but I'm wanting to see how good this is (plus I have two Dragon-Slayer-turned-dragon characters and the fact that this game has character creation and will let me make them? Yeah, that's what sold me).

Do you have to kill dragons in that game? I dont like games where I have to do that D:

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

There does appear to be some dragon killing, but right now it looks like evil-mutated dragons pieced together by the bad guy.

My only real complaint about the game is that it's really flippin' hard. Finally got to the point where I get to see my dragon form for the first time and it had to deal with air-fighting 'bad' dragons. It does seem like although you start the game as a dragon slayer, the story is already going in the direction of dragons and humans having a common enemy.

Sadly I can't yet change into a dragon at any time (looking forward to that) , and everything is killing me too easily. Suddenly everything is level 8 or higher and in large mobs. I don't stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrough View Post
    There does appear to be some dragon killing, but right now it looks like evil-mutated dragons pieced together by the bad guy.

My only real complaint about the game is that it's really flippin' hard. Finally got to the point where I get to see my dragon form for the first time and it had to deal with air-fighting 'bad' dragons. It does seem like although you start the game as a dragon slayer, the story is already going in the direction of dragons and humans having a common enemy.

Sadly I can't yet change into a dragon at any time (looking forward to that) , and everything is killing me too easily. Suddenly everything is level 8 or higher and in large mobs. I don't stand a chance.
    Not out in the Uk until the 20th November.

Where did you order it from overseas?

Rakku

Hrm, maybe it wasn't the European version then.
    Actually, I was a bad girl and pirated it in the end (the only site I found to buy it on was actually for the german version, whoops!) because I plan on purchasing the North American release when it comes out next year (though I might get the console version, the PC version is annoyingly buggy in places.) There is a version in english floating around out there, and I assumed it must have been the UK release due to the british voices. There was a release in August and September for other regions, perhaps it's one of those.

In the meantime, I think I may actually hold off until the NA release and hope some things like pacing are fixed between now and then, though it'll probably only receive a change of voiceovers and that's it. I've had the game hang on loading twice in the beginning, and I've had it crash a couple of times in the few hours I played. It's kind of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrough View Post
    (though I might get the console version, the PC version is annoyingly buggy in places.)
    Why doesn't that surprise me lol? It's almost like they're trying to screw up pc versions so they can push the 360 more. I.e. PC version of Gears of War I coming out *after* Gears of War II is out on 360. They did the same trick with Halo on the original Xbox, except that other than the first few levels Halo degenerated into a repetitive corridor fighting game that I *forced* myself to finish to see the vaguely interesting end.

Anyway back to topic... I'll leave my pre-order going for the sake of a fortnight. Got Risen to do yet. That's good btw, although No dragons.

I Miss Trials of Ascension. Ok the concept art for the dragons and gryphons looked odd, and giraffe like for the former ... but the whole idea was fantastic. In the end I think that was its downfall... too much for the current tech, and the end result would almost certainly fall short of expectation. Of course we could have been surprised with some Crysis-esque super-graphical oddity with gameplay to match it... but who am I kidding? Aion talking about true flight lol... it's the kind of flying I would end up coding. But hey you can glide at least, although that acts seriously weird at times. An improvement on Istaria I hate to say, but then perhaps Vitrium could be persuaded to tweak the code a little... puuuuuurleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease? *puppy eyes* (re: puppy with big Dragon eyes getting ready with his fire...)

Rakku

Hehehe.

Okay, I figured out the problem I'm having with this game, difficulty wise: The game WANTS you to do the sidequests. You can't just decide to go through on the main quest like you can in games like Fable, and that's what's throwing me off. I actually have to go find the sidequests and do them to get the exp boosts, and sometimes even monster grind a little bit.

This isn't really a bad thing, but it is rather aggravating when I just want to get about halfway through the main quest before I romp around town doing absolutely nothing just for my own amusement.

It definitely looks like the console version will be the better buy, unless someone makes a mod pack for the character creation. There are very few options if you want to create a male character (Blonde and brown hair, versus females getting blonde, red, black and brown. females also get more face options.).

I'm also having this graphical issue where hair and things like the brims of hats are translucent even at a distance, instead of just close up. I can't tell if this is a design choice or just a glitch, but I don't like it.

ToA does look like it had an interesting concept, but maaan they needed better concept art. Though remember that Istaria was supposed to be quite a bit more complex than it is today - funding and technology limits really do slow down games with lots of potential. It's sad to see dreams swept under the rug because they're not practical.

Thread Information