Thread: Flooring with a new skin?

Default Flooring with a new skin?

Would it be a lot of work to just take the flooring as we know it (planning- and building-possibilities, same sizes although an added 1x1 size would be wonderful for 'lost spots') and give them only a new texture/skin?

What comes to mind are grass, water, mixed flowers... have that little pond on your plot, grass around it, some flowers here or there.

This seems to me (could be wrong of course) a way to get these in game with not much work to it?

Default Re: Flooring with a new skin?

this is a wonderful idea, Galilee!!
    *dreams where to put what on her plots*
    Devs please-that would be really something!!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

another old idea whose time has come again!
    the ability to put more fluff on your plot is always a good thing to me!!!
    (sorry ry - our beloved mistress of all crafts hates it when i say that!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Oh, the asking for ponds, grass, flowers is 'as old as Rome' - well almost anyway: been seeing these wishes right from since building was in.
    But it was always too much work (though I believe that on one occasion we did get close to seeing them; alas there was yet another round of owner-changing just about then so that was the end of that).

It has however not been asked/suggested before - or at least not as far as I know or remember (from going back as far as when we were still posting on the Tazoon-forums) - to use the flooring we allready have, with the same mechanics, just a few added with different textures, to get this done. The result perhaps wouldn't be the greatest thing on earth (square comes to mind ) - but it wouldn't seem to be much work that way, so this just might indeed be feasable. And that beats not having them in at all, after all
    Last edited by Galilee; November 5th, 2009 at 07:38 AM.

I was actually having a thought very similar if not identical to this, on the lines of being able to "skin" the ground of one's plot. That drab brown doesn't look too great, imo. I'd much rather be able to set the texture of the ground of my plot, or achieve the same effect with buildable "landscape tile" sorts of things.

So, this has my support.

There's also a few flower models ingame, in particular a few plants I saw in Tazoon I'd love to be able to place on my plot.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Static flooring like tiles are certain feasible (though I am not saying it will be done). But grass and flowers aren't really a "texture" thing and would require quite a bit more work.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Well some plots have texturing already, look at the sand plots. They fit in the landscape without the brown mud texture (yes I know they just have no brown mud attached to them or the ground under them), same with the ice plots, the blue stone texture may be pretty, but some people would really love to have some snow on their plot.

I bet some players would just be happy to texture their plot with sand, grass or snow.

And the flowers in tazoon may be pretty, but they are often very glichted :/

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Well some plots have texturing already, look at the sand plots. They fit in the landscape without the brown mud texture (yes I know they just have no brown mud attached to them or the ground under them), same with the ice plots, the blue stone texture may be pretty, but some people would really love to have some snow on their plot.

I bet some players would just be happy to texture their plot with sand, grass or snow.

And the flowers in tazoon may be pretty, but they are often very glichted :/
    Yes, but that requires us to go in and paint a texture onto each plot. What cannot be done is allowing players to choose the underlying texture (other than dirt).
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Yes, but that requires us to go in and paint a texture onto each plot. What cannot be done is allowing players to choose the underlying texture (other than dirt).
    I think i would be neat to have tiles that looked like snow, short grass or sand, for folks to place around their plots. I think a snow walkway would be cool. ;-)

What about the unfinished dead-leaf-pile as a start for 'flowers'? If the colours of that texture could be recoloured to a mix of brighter colours (yellow/red/pink/white/blue with some green inbetween, all or a few of those for instance) that might allready give a fair idea of a flowermix-patch even if it stays almost flat like the leafheap-in-construction?

ohh that is a good idea:-)))
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information