Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: From destruction comes rebirth: items could "break"

Default Re: From destruction comes rebirth: items could "break"

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    I stated what to do with them: just repair them with kits obtained by killing nameds / bosses.
    The stuff is rare and epic, it deserves being repaired with "epic kits".
    Sorry, but that would be downright idiotic. Noone wants to camp and farm a named over and over AFTER they got finally their epic item, just to ensure that they can continue to use it. That is just mindless grind aka WoW that would turn off many people. :/

A better solution would be to use the master repair formulars with a few (or many) t6 ress like metal, stone etc. to repair the epic weapon. For the demon weapons make that SoG drops also repair formulars for each weapon he drops.

Or make generally master repair formulars like "Master Claw Repair" or "Master Scale Repair" to ensure that also the old legancy items are covered.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    @Attuned gear: just no.

Lots of downsides and it's why I did not mention it in my OP.
    Plus it does not fix the items inflation. An attuned everything is still an everything that does not promote new crafting at all.
    Given N = numbers of players and M = number of unused sets, you just shift the problem from about (simplified):

N to N * M

while what we'd need is to make M = o(N)
    That's a good point V, I hadn't considered that. It does just put off the problem to some degree. I guess it's a question of what people will put up with: on one side, you have a second-hand market with purchasable repair kits and/or repair skill, while on the other you have a requirement for new gear continuously.

My (albeit personal!) issue with item decay is that you need to keep track of a lot of items to check their status. One of my earlier posts guessed that maybe you could have (for a fully decked-out biped) 30 items to keep track of (Kewelry, weapons, armor, etc). I've played PC games that solved this (maybe Oblivion?) by offering a window that showed you all your items and let you repair them by just clicking individual items.
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

sorry hun but oblivion is a totally different style of rpg game, 1st being its strictly a single player rp so its not very doable to compare the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion game weapon system to horizons, a side not is their weapon system requires mods to make it more realistic in the note that a two hand axe in vanillia Oblivion is listed as a blunt weapon. 2nd oblivion durability system all items are start off at 100 an usually degrade faster in the beginning than further into the game.

Yeah that's true Star, but I was referring more to the "repair all" UI screens in Oblivion where you use repair hammers to fix items. I think if you had item decay that decayed fairly quickly you would need some simple interface to say "repair all" rather than having to check on every item you have in your inventory. With the number of items in-game it could end up being a lot of repairing otherwise.

As an example I have one set of armor on me (swapping via vault when required) but I keep every single tool I own with me, for the occasions where i need to quickly make something or help out with crafting. So that's about 50 tools in a pouch. Plus I keep 10+ sets of jewelry on me too (for the same reason). So I would have 200 wearable items on my person at any time. Granted I don't use them all the time so they may not "decay", but how painful would it be to check each individual item in each container to see if it needed to be repaired? That would really hurt lol
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

The "but it'd be hard to keep everything fixed" argument, is only apparently a good one.

First of all you have to be analythical and be able to divide the solution (items inflation) off technical nuances.

The solutions (this one or another) have to solve some issue, like in this case. The nuances are "unwanted appendages" that can be offseted or even negated while saving the solution (aka "don't throw the baby with the wash water").

In this specific case, first you focus on a problem and adopt a solution, in example the one proposed here. Does it fix the problem, yes or no? If yes, then the downsides can be focused on later, the important is to know the main issue is gone.

Now, once decided the issue is fixed, how to deal with multiple items having a certain "repaired / need a fix" status? It's simple. This game as far as I know comes with a quite powerful scripting system (but unlike other games, it's not readily accessible to players thru an API). Expecially in LUA, it's not hard to make a recursive routine that gets activated when you press a certain button and lists what you have got and a detail / list of its status, I have just done something similar today. Once you see such a detail you can press "repair" or even "repair all" and the same proceeding will be repeated but trying to apply repair kits on the stuff in your inventory till everything is fixed or the kits run out.

The whole package can be further improved by sending a log window the result of "OnItemDamage" event, stating the item name and its current condition. IE if you die, you'll see a list like:

"Mithril Long Sword suffered damage and lost one fire tech" and so on, so you have an immediate feeling of what broke and the kit needed to fix it.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

IMHO Item Decay would drive more players away from this game than it would likely attract. The core player group of this game has community as an "Economy" and this facet of Istaria is as unique and as attractive to the niche value of this game as are playable Dragons and a second to none Craft System. Those who thrive on a classic "economy" have many choices in games alternative to Istaria - we would lose any battle to compete for the classic "economy model" should one be cast by the devs here.

Knossos

Knossos

Just like I stated earlier... We already have a penalty for dying. Items breaking because of dying is just another penalty. We'd need to encourage players to adventure, not to discourage them!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahael View Post
    . We'd need to encourage players to adventure, not to discourage them!
    This is true Ahael.
    And I really agree with Phillip: We have more crafters here nowadays than adventurers.

We need a money sink.
    Give us back Nadia!
    What was the intention to send her to exile?
    To make more people hunt for comps?
    That did not work on Order.
    Did it work on Blight?
    Did it work on Chaos?

Let Nadia sell her stuff for the incredible prices she had before she left.

THAT will do something for our economy. People will start taking money for services they offer, cause they need it. Even the veterans.
    And the comp hunters still can sell their comps at Aidan`s if the prices are only a bit lower.
    This will be a step in the right direction!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Let Nadia sell her stuff for the incredible prices she had before she left.

THAT will do something for our economy. People will start taking money for services they offer, cause they need it. Even the veterans.
    And the comp hunters still can sell their comps at Aidan`s if the prices are only a bit lower.
    This will be a step in the right direction!
    It didn't work before when she was in. Why would it work now?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    It didn't work before when she was in. Why would it work now?
    I spend many days spamming the Marketplace channel for at first 10 components and later only 4, but there are certain components that were rare to buy except from nadia, but even more rare now. I think most people only hunt for what they need themselves, for guildies, or for future use.
    In the end I was lucky enough to be relieved of at least 1 hour of satyr island hunting because when I had just started hunting for myself someone offered to sell them to me. Had Nadia had been present I would have bought those 4 if not all 10 components... I don't like to hunt certain areas, but the area I dislike most is the T5 WA area.
    I can hunt there and survive without to much difficulty as long as I keep paying attention, but I rather reward another player for collecting them for me.

I can tell you 1 thing... Nadia provided a nice money sink at least for me, currently I have more coin now then I had in all the time I played before and the fun part is that I have absolutely no need for it now that I have bought the lair that I like. So my coin will grow and grow and will keep on growing slowly but steadily.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    I spend many days spamming the Marketplace channel for at first 10 components and later only 4, but there are certain components that were rare to buy except from nadia, but even more rare now. I think most people only hunt for what they need themselves, for guildies, or for future use.
    In the end I was lucky enough to be relieved of at least 1 hour of satyr island hunting because when I had just started hunting for myself someone offered to sell them to me. Had Nadia had been present I would have bought those 4 if not all 10 components... I don't like to hunt certain areas, but the area I dislike most is the T5 WA area.
    I can hunt there and survive without to much difficulty as long as I keep paying attention, but I rather reward another player for collecting them for me.

I can tell you 1 thing... Nadia provided a nice money sink at least for me, currently I have more coin now then I had in all the time I played before and the fun part is that I have absolutely no need for it now that I have bought the lair that I like. So my coin will grow and grow and will keep on growing slowly but steadily.
    She isn't coming back. Period.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

wait wait Amon- please

Never say never^^

As Knossos said, most of us have "community" as "Economy".

And in the medium term there is nothing that will change that.

Bringing Nadia back could be a short term solution to put money out of the game. Anti-inflation -policy!!

Fact is (on order): Adventurers can`t buy help to build their plots(e.g.).
    Cause all crafters have enough money.
    Crafters can`t order comps for (new equippment e.g.)
    Cause adventurers need no money.
    That is frustrating!

You can`t prevent, if someone is in urgend need for something, that someone on the shard will give it for free. No matter if its a veteran who needs something or a newbie.
    That is our mentality- this is how Istarians (order only? No!) live and act.
    This is part of the good spirit of our world.
    We shall not change- even not for the sake of an Economy nobody seems to need or want.
    And the younger players learn that from us and act similar.

So- until nobody has a better idea- which is feasible without too much costs and efforts- lets fight inflation with a first step.

It will bring no harm to nobody.
    And I shall not be the only one, who will be broke on the first day, Nadia is back^^

Just think it over, Sir

(but I heard your words, Amon- just wanted to answer)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information