Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From destruction comes rebirth: items could "break"

Default Re: From destruction comes rebirth: items could "break"

Why does everything need to go boom and break after a while? Let it have for example 100% and then decay with use over time to 0%. When the item reaches 0% you can still use it, or fight or wear it, but you don't get any stat bonuses from it anymore. Until you repair it with repair kits made by crafters. Like the recharge kits, but better since the % will go back to 100% instead of decaying.

Sorry to name a other MMO here but Vanguard had that system, and it worked well and good, there was a constant demand of repair kits on the market and everyone was happy.

And seriously if one of my epic items or old legancy items just tuns to dust, that would really make me leave.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Ok pepole lets slow down, please. noone is talking about money sinks as in we want to take away the all cash we have. NO one is saying lets BREAK items permently. What we need is a way to make people NEED services and NEED each other and MAKE an enonomy. You only NEED money if you WANT something and I in my earlier post I stated we are to uber I can make ANYTHING IN GAME I can BUILD ANYTHING and when I make my UBER GEAR thats it I never need to make it again. What do I NEED to ask any of you for ? NOTHING ! cause I already got the uber toys ()

So I started with saying what about shrines on plots (crafter new things to do comunity sprit and plot fluff)that give boosts to base skills that need rechargeing and statues that give a crystal that is attuned to you and gives you extra damage and the likes. that also needed to be recharged with anything in game that gives hoard value can recharge the shrine. and it is up to each person if he or she wishes to make the shirne and get the crystal and get the boost.

then everyone started in on ON HO NOT RECHARGEING OMG the woes the angony. (Lvywrmn this is what I was talking about, not to ask BUT DO) I dont have time to recharge my crystals. not anther hoard sink. I have a lvl 43dragon with something like 30+ mil hoard on it and probly another 12-30 MIL hoard in tents on my property that I keep just to give away.I am often see in market place looking for younglings to have them a mil in hoard and whatch thier faces light up. Come on people it is not that bad there are items in game dropping 20-40k hoard.

So to them that say oh no not me please don't make another "sink" be it time money or what ever. I simply put to you. OK IT IS BROKEN. FIX IT! SUGGEST SOMETHING Don't just complaign about how it will effect YOU.

A few of us have made very good (if not hard) suggestions and all we hear about is how it is ganna effect YOU! so here is a lil game I suggest. Start a NEW TOON and with 0 help and I mean none. no market place no nothing try playing the game. do not go into any chat rooms and ask for tools or equipment or anything do not go to your firends and say HEY loan me the uber teched gear from the guild house and see how bloody hard the game is. Make money/buy items/trade/put things onthe connie for sale. but do not tell your friends who you are. You will be disgusted and discuraged in a HUGE hurry! Oh look a item I needed is for sale in marketplace I have 3 s ( worked hard for it also ) starting price 20 s ( huge let down ) after enough of that you just say why the hell bother they will just out bid me.

we need a way to make others WANT to play and we need a way for newbie players to feel wanted and liked and needed and i do not just mean personality wise they need to feel like they have a purpose! There is nothing worse then going on a hunt and hitting for 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 and an hour later you still are doing nothing. Talk about a time sink. talk about feeling like a 0 not a hero.

Takora: Thats what I meant about decay/recharge. No boom and gone go recharge it and your back in game. but people said ohno not another item i have to store. not another cyrstal. lets just make the stuff in game MORE powerful and then we can be more godlike.

To that I must say nay nay. Very soon I will finish all my schools to 100 ( yes I said ALL of them). it will be a terrible day. for there is no more reason to play. except for socialy I will have no more quests no more have to do no more lvling. what to do then? build things in game? shruggs. I will tell you what i will do I will set about to PERSONALY DESTROY THE MARKET PLACE noone will ever want again. I will sit on my plot and every time someone needs anything I will make it for free or a tip. then i will go harvest comps and hoard them and when someone needs it hand it away. build others plots for free and then soon there will be a 0 economey because it is all free at Pyledryvers! (ok not realy) So stop me people! I AM EVIL AND SETTING ABOUT TO DESTROY YOUR WORLD MUHA MUHA MUUUUHAHHAHAHHAHAHAA!

One of the things that I have always loved about Istaria, is the lack of economy.

No, listen to me for a second.

I once played Final Fantasy XI, and still play WoW. Money is the #1 thing that will hold you back in FFXI, and is the #2 thing that holds you back in WoW.

I would venture a guess that your time spent in Final Fantasy XI looks something like this:

40% Adventuring XPing.
    50% Grinding Money
    10% Having Fun doing bosses/endgame content/etc.

In WoW, the #1 thing that holds you back, is getting group invites for instances, and as I said, #2 is money as you need money for every dang thing you do. Repairs alone are crazy as you get higher gear (nothing like dumping 1-2 hours worth of money into repairs after a night of raiding, not to mention potion/consumable usage, a good night of progression raiding can cost you a couple Days of grinding money/materials).

People want to PLAY the game, not spend half of their in-game time grinding money. That's why I like Istaria -- there's in-game currency, but it isn't the be-all and end-all of your in-game success.

I wish there were more ways to make it Pre-t5. Until you get to about Lv80 or so, nothing drops that is worth anything to players OR Pawnbrokers. I have a Drag62 Dcra100 dragon and the only way I can get money, is by pawning lodestones. Nothing I can kill will drop anything worth any reasonable amount of money for my time, but yet I see things on consigner for 20, 30, sometimes 40 silver+. Especially so if we start talking about HV items, my Hoard as a Lv62 is 1,700,000. Far below what it SHOULD be, because I leveled my dragon back when Hoard was hard to come by.

Heck, I just took my Lv20-ish biped out to get a couple levels the other day and didn't find a single piece of hoard and I fought mobs for 3 hours!

I will want to buy a decent plot, but it will set me back 1g+. Where the heck am I supposed to get 1g? I'm no rating 300 biped that can kill scads of t5 undead, nor do I want to wait until I can, just to buy my plot.

I think the point I'm trying to get at, is we need more BALANCE between the Tiers. Tiers 1-4 give very little reward for killing mobs, while T5 sounds like it gives you way too much money. Nerf T5 money gains and buff T1-4 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    I think the point I'm trying to get at, is we need more BALANCE between the Tiers. Tiers 1-4 give very little reward for killing mobs, while T5 sounds like it gives you way too much money. Nerf T5 money gains and buff T1-4 IMO.
    Dhalin Sir you make my point! Here is a newer player says he cannot make moeney WHY! he has NOTHING to offer ME! He NEEDS to be ABLE to provide me with a service i cannot provide for my self.<insert heavy scottish accent> I tell ya true I am a cheep dwarf ask me 2 dead mice in my wallet.

Dhalin as to how I make cash when I need it. Simple I head to a dead zone and just start tearing up the landscape when i was a younger man i went to chic. what only a hand ful of coppers per kill. yea but when i can put them down in mindnumbing speeds. shruggs can easly make 30 s a hour as i got older i moved up tirs of undead... to now... well shruggs back to my point WE ARE TO UBER!

One of the things that I have always loved about Istaria, is the lack of economy.
    Crazy as it might seem by my suggestions, I do agree with you It is nice just to be able to jump into the game and not have to worry about anything rather than having fun and playing.

I would venture a guess that your time spent in Final Fantasy XI looks something like this:

40% Adventuring XPing.
    50% Grinding Money
    10% Having Fun doing bosses/endgame content/etc.

In WoW, the #1 thing that holds you back, is getting group invites for instances, and as I said, #2 is money as you need money for every dang thing you do. Repairs alone are crazy as you get higher gear (nothing like dumping 1-2 hours worth of money into repairs after a night of raiding, not to mention potion/consumable usage, a good night of progression raiding can cost you a couple Days of grinding money/materials).
    That does not sound fun to me

People want to PLAY the game, not spend half of their in-game time grinding money. That's why I like Istaria -- there's in-game currency, but it isn't the be-all and end-all of your in-game success.
    There is a currency in-game, but it just isn't worth anything IMHO. The supply of money in-game needs to be regulated, either by reducing the money that can be made, or increasing the money being spent.

I wish there were more ways to make it Pre-t5. Until you get to about Lv80 or so, nothing drops that is worth anything to players OR Pawnbrokers. I have a Drag62 Dcra100 dragon and the only way I can get money, is by pawning lodestones. Nothing I can kill will drop anything worth any reasonable amount of money for my time, but yet I see things on consigner for 20, 30, sometimes 40 silver+. Especially so if we start talking about HV items, my Hoard as a Lv62 is 1,700,000. Far below what it SHOULD be, because I leveled my dragon back when Hoard was hard to come by.

Heck, I just took my Lv20-ish biped out to get a couple levels the other day and didn't find a single piece of hoard and I fought mobs for 3 hours!
    As Pyledriver says - now try and take that level 20-ish biped to level 40. It is impossible without getting new kit, and you will probably need to beg/borrow to at least get the items you need unless you know people in-game who can give it to you.

I will want to buy a decent plot, but it will set me back 1g+. Where the heck am I supposed to get 1g? I'm no rating 300 biped that can kill scads of t5 undead, nor do I want to wait until I can, just to buy my plot.

Perhaps that's another option, but I think nerfing higher-level players will be far less popular than charging Istarians for goods and services provided by the Empire Nothing raises people's hackles more than getting less than they had, whereas at least by charging more money for everyday items (perhaps combined with generating a demand such as more recharge cell requirements for items in-game).

There are a multitude of different solutions, and perhaps a combined approach is required to solve the Great Istarian Recession

As with most MMORPGs out there, there are three things that people like doing in Istaria - 1. Hunting, 2. Crafting, and 3. socializing. We want to keep (3) as high as possible, while allowing flexibility for people to choose the amount of (1) and (2) they want to do. The game currently rewards new hunters by allowing them to collect trophies, resources, etc which can be used to complete quests for xp and coin rewards. But if you just want to craft? Uh-oh...

Crafters are intrinsically linked to the economy. If you can't sell the goods you make, then you are just crafting for fun. That's fine for some people that are used to it, but new players IMHO will be severely turned off. And crafters are required to provide new goods for the hunters! So it's a double-whammy.
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

pardon me but why would ANYONE suggest that they have attuned adventure gear or craft gear that is im sorry one of THE most foolish ideas i have heard in a long time that will only cause more problems than any good. one major reason is attuned gear and items can NOT be placed in a guild house even if its set to deny all. second the vault does not have enough item stacks to make that idea of attuning all gear logical in any way at all.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I'm going to have to agree with Starlight on this. While attuning certain special gear was all the rage, it ended up making for vault and inventory clutter. The stuff, no matter how useful to another player, must end up being deleted or deconstructed then remade. It is rather a waste of resources to have to do that. Then there's the issue of storage. Once attuned, it can't be traded, can't be sold, can't be put anywhere.

As to the original idea of repairing gear, I do see how it would be to a certain advantage for the game. Crafters would need to rely on a repair-type skill to fix the items. Agreeably, the items could be of reduced or even no bonus for techs (perhaps even a negative to skill) based on their need for repair. However, I think I'd draw the line at having them so far gone that the item disintegrates and is no longer a usable item.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by starlight View Post
    pardon me but why would ANYONE suggest that they have attuned adventure gear or craft gear that is im sorry one of THE most foolish ideas i have heard in a long time that will only cause more problems than any good. one major reason is attuned gear and items can NOT be placed in a guild house even if its set to deny all.

Yes Star that's a good point. Perhaps it could be a change to what you can store in vaults as well, so you can store attuned items? Or maybe even having non-attunable items could be something you either (a) pay extra $$$ for during item creation, or (b) use a tech slot for. We already add sockets to items, and techs, so perhaps a "non-attuned" tech could be available too, requiring either a player-made item or somesuch to use? Dunno, I would rather have attuned items because it forces players to create new goods.

I might have mentioned it previously, but this change affects Guilds the most IMHO because of shared kit.

second the vault does not have enough item stacks to make that idea of attuning all gear logical in any way at all.
    I didn't think you could stack items. I thought it was only resources and consumable i.e. potions, food, metal bars, bricks, etc? My vault is full of weapons and armor, not sure about others.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with Starlight on this. While attuning certain special gear was all the rage, it ended up making for vault and inventory clutter. The stuff, no matter how useful to another player, must end up being deleted or deconstructed then remade. It is rather a waste of resources to have to do that. Then there's the issue of storage. Once attuned, it can't be traded, can't be sold, can't be put anywhere.
    I think it should be deleted where possible as soon as it is no longer useful to the player that owns it, simply to free up vault/storage space. This is the method to ensure new gear is constantly being required.

Perhaps this could be a push for storage containers *within* buildings as well? Why not have a couple of wardrobes that can store (for example) 50 items? "Hold on C'gan, I'll be able to help with that in a second, just need to pop into my house to get changed."

As to the original idea of repairing gear, I do see how it would be to a certain advantage for the game. Crafters would need to rely on a repair-type skill to fix the items. Agreeably, the items could be of reduced or even no bonus for techs (perhaps even a negative to skill) based on their need for repair.
    My main issue with repair of items is you either need to find someone to repair it (which distracts players from actually playing the game, and is tough if the shard is quiet!), or if you have repair kits, then people just stock up on a stack of them and rarely need to buy more. The economy gets an initial flood of "repair kits" and then the demand sharply drops off. Otherwise if the Empire provides the service via NPCs, it becomes a simple money sink and not a method to ensure there is demand in the economy for new items.

However, I think I'd draw the line at having them so far gone that the item disintegrates and is no longer a usable item.
    Now that would force players to leave, no questions asked

While I may not be the typical player, I have well over 300 stacks of T5 teched armor (cargo and adv) amd jewelry sets that I use - this would take all of my vault stacks and most if not all of my inventory stacks. I have another 100 or more attuned items already - so attuning all teched armor and weapons and jewelry would put me out of the game.

As for storage suitable for attuned items other than vault and inventory, I believe devs have said no to this on the forums at least once.

Knossos
    Last edited by Knossos; November 8th, 2009 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn
    I think it should be deleted where possible as soon as it is no longer useful to the player that owns it, simply to free up vault/storage space. This is the method to ensure new gear is constantly being required.
    There is a significant problem with deleting these items when they're "no longer useful". Multiple craft classes mean multiple craft levels. So, you may need to have multiple copies of items, particularly cargo gear and jewelry, when swapping classes. As for tools, this idea could theoretically work, except that it again requires you to destroy the item when you're done with it. Weapons, armor, and shields have the same problem as cargo armor.

Perhaps this could be a push for storage containers *within* buildings as well? Why not have a couple of wardrobes that can store (for example) 50 items? "Hold on C'gan, I'll be able to help with that in a second, just need to pop into my house to get changed."
    Except that the vault is an extension of your inventory. It is not a separate storage area. Silos, halls, houses, and lairs are separate storage. That is why attuned items can't go in them. It doesn't matter if you put "storage containers" in them. They are no longer a part of your inventory, so attuned items cannot go there. Amon has already clarified that in other posts. He's also stated that increasing inventory room really isn't an option per character because it clogs the database as each item within inventory is it's own unique entry. So, the 15 sandstone bricks you have are not a quantity and a linked entry to sandstone brick in the database. They are not the same entry as my 213 in my vault. They have a separate line in the database.

My main issue with repair of items is you either need to find someone to repair it (which distracts players from actually playing the game, and is tough if the shard is quiet!), or if you have repair kits, then people just stock up on a stack of them and rarely need to buy more. The economy gets an initial flood of "repair kits" and then the demand sharply drops off. Otherwise if the Empire provides the service via NPCs, it becomes a simple money sink and not a method to ensure there is demand in the economy for new items.
    There is every reason to belive that the base item creation classes would get (if not master) the repair skills required. This would make an added incentive to have a higher level outfitter, scholar, or blacksmith. I'm not even thinking about using something manufacturable as a "repair kit". This would again lead to more database entries and more lag.

currently all my teched gear along with other master crafters are to simply delete teched gear just to remake it? im sorry but that is rediculious all round some of the comps needed to make t5 tech gear isa real pain to get an your suggestion we delete an remake the gear. so i am against any kind of making teched gear attuned to a player. second attuned items can ONLY be placed in the vault and the vault does NOT have nearly enough space for a multiclassed biped. third with the comment of wanting things attuned. are you trying to drive off the older players? Next issue is the "a) pay extra $$$ for during item creation" are you talking about ingame coin or pay money ontop of your subscription? if its the second option i am sorry but thats down right foolish

currently all my teched gear along with other master crafters are to simply delete teched gear just to remake it? im sorry but that is rediculious all round some of the comps needed to make t5 tech gear isa real pain to get an your suggestion we delete an remake the gear. so i am against any kind of making teched gear attuned to a player.
    Sorry, I didn't explain myself I think. There should never be a requirement to delete teched gear. What I am saying is that if items are attuned, *and* the storage restrictions on attuned items are removed (i.e. you can store them anywhere you want), then the only group of people that might be affected are guilds, because AFAIK they are the major group of people that share items.

In this scenario, everyone would either have their own gear always, or making non-attuned items would be very hard to ensure that they are truly worthwhile to make and share.

second attuned items can ONLY be placed in the vault and the vault does NOT have nearly enough space for a multiclassed biped.
    Yes that is an issue, but if attuned items were not restricted in their storage, then presumably this problem disappears.

third with the comment of wanting things attuned. are you trying to drive off the older players?
    No way! They are the lifeblood of Istaria! But I do want them (us) ot make it possible for new players to enjoy the game as much as we do. The current economy is not workable for new crafters IMHO.

Next issue is the "a) pay extra $$$ for during item creation" are you talking about ingame coin or pay money ontop of your subscription? if its the second option i am sorry but thats down right foolish
    In-game, cold, hard, Istarian cash only. No extra fees on top of your subscription. Apologies - I wasn't clear on that.

There is a significant problem with deleting these items when they're "no longer useful". Multiple craft classes mean multiple craft levels. So, you may need to have multiple copies of items, particularly cargo gear and jewelry, when swapping classes. As for tools, this idea could theoretically work, except that it again requires you to destroy the item when you're done with it. Weapons, armor, and shields have the same problem as cargo armor.

Except that the vault is an extension of your inventory. It is not a separate storage area. Silos, halls, houses, and lairs are separate storage. That is why attuned items can't go in them. It doesn't matter if you put "storage containers" in them. They are no longer a part of your inventory, so attuned items cannot go there. Amon has already clarified that in other posts. He's also stated that increasing inventory room really isn't an option per character because it clogs the database as each item within inventory is it's own unique entry. So, the 15 sandstone bricks you have are not a quantity and a linked entry to sandstone brick in the database. They are not the same entry as my 213 in my vault. They have a separate line in the database.
    Might depend on how keen Vi are to improve the economy There may be some effort (or a lot lol) to be able to set it up so attunable items are storable, but if the outcome is a working economy...

There is every reason to belive that the base item creation classes would get (if not master) the repair skills required. This would make an added incentive to have a higher level outfitter, scholar, or blacksmith. I'm not even thinking about using something manufacturable as a "repair kit". This would again lead to more database entries and more lag.
    The issue with this at the current point in time is being able to find someone online who could fix your kit if you can't do it yourself. Older players (multi-classed) may not have any issues as they are a one-stop shop. New players will find it very tough. They can't get their kit repaired if they can't find someone online to repair it.

It is a difficult situation with no easy answers, that's for sure! Attunable items? Problems with storage and goodbye sharing for guilds. Item decay? Difficulty finding people to repair items, leading to delay spent playing. Not enough money? No economy to be able to make more at a reasonable (i.e. not all-time-consuming rate) for crafters.

I think you may have missed the key part of my response earlier. This is an important line for distinguishing attuned from non-attuned itmes. I'm quoting it for emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan
    ... the vault is an extension of your inventory. It is not a separate storage area. Silos, halls, houses, and lairs are separate storage. That is why attuned items can't go in them. It doesn't matter if you put "storage containers" in them. They are no longer a part of your inventory, so attuned items cannot go there. Amon has already clarified that in other posts.
    Putting an item in a separate storage area is the same in game mechanics as trading to another player.

Ok first off attuned items can ONLY go in the vault and as far as i know amon had already stated that it is not possible to place attuned items in any kind of public storage, aka guild houses, homes of any kind. Second what is wrong with a guild sharing their already made cargo and teched craft gear with their other guild members, isn't that a function of a guild to help their members in any way possible? Instead of making everything attuned what about instead attuning items add in new and rare techs in all teirs that the newer players and older players may likely find, making their items more worth while. Next attuning items by definition only really halts trade not encourages it.

I think you may have missed the key part of my response earlier. This is an important line for distinguishing attuned from non-attuned itmes. I'm quoting it for emphasis.

Putting an item in a separate storage area is the same in game mechanics as trading to another player.
    Yep I understand - that's why it would require action on Vi's part if they wanted to implement something like this. Not sure how major it would be, but from memory the storage system is split into Inventory (backpack + vault) and non-Inventory (everything else). The issue I imagine is that the Inventory storage system includes (I'm speculating here) a field that says "Attuned to xyz", and the non-Inventory system does not. Might be as simple as adding a new field to the non-Inventory system, but nothing is ever that simple

More speculation - I am guessing that Vi previously said "no" because it was a request to be able to store more attuned stuff, whereas if it can help fix the economy perhaps it will be more likely to happen.

So if this was possible, would that make this workable?
    Last edited by StalePopcorn; November 8th, 2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Second what is wrong with a guild sharing their already made cargo and teched craft gear with their other guild members, isn't that a function of a guild to help their members in any way possible? Instead of making everything attuned what about instead attuning items add in new and rare techs in all teirs that the newer players and older players may likely find, making their items more worth while.
    Absolutely nothing at all! Something that should be encouraged, at all times, is guildies helping each other. However I am saying that help should be modified to create items for players, rather than just hand-me-down goods.

Most guilds have stockpiles of resources, and the ability to make new items easily. Why not make new items for guild members that need them, when they need them? That would again give crafters a reason to exist as crafters if they want to, and increase the requirements for getting technique resources.

Yes, there are some very/ultra-rare ingredients out there and having to create items for everyone would be painful. But that is as it should be. The value of items should increase if they are rarer, and this would provide another stimulus to an economy. Supply-and-demand and all that good stuff Plus it can help people specialise a bit more too, since do we really need to make 20 sets of Fitter gear for every single person?

Next attuning items by definition only really halts trade not encourages it.
    I don't this it does - it only discourages the trade in second-hand goods, whereas it would encourage the trade of new goods.

That's the primary point of the OP and myself - second-hand goods that never break/wear/need replacing stifle the creation of new items. We are saturated in teched items that just continually get shared around. I agree that this is wonderful for our friendly community, but it kills the economy. If we want to improve the economy, we need to find a way to break the cycle of being one big huge second-hand shop.

ok ,

you and i have agreed on a lot of things Vahrokh but are you out of your scaled mind !

what happens to that nifty Vengeance scale or Demon claw or other RARE armor for that matter

i will be agents it there is other ways one can create an economic boom but if change should fall on us this way i would hope it gose down like this

This could work if there was an actual school of craft (Weapon repair school) (Armor repair school ) (Scale repair school ) for the rare and epic armor would be a master repair form you can use to repair the broken item so it is like new

for exampel

Form Master scale repair ---> Demon claw --->(input resources resources hear selected by devs ) Demon claw was repaired

the same with a triple vengeance scale only the resources needed will be what the devs want + the tech comps used to create it ie 1 energy bone splinter dim and copper (Note one component for each tech so if its triple you only need 1 energy bone splinter )
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

@Attuned gear: just no.

Lots of downsides and it's why I did not mention it in my OP.
    Plus it does not fix the items inflation. An attuned everything is still an everything that does not promote new crafting at all.
    Given N = numbers of players and M = number of unused sets, you just shift the problem from about (simplified):

N to N * M

while what we'd need is to make M = o(N)

You should think beyond grinding in order to avoid it.

I did not spend a single day grinding for anything and still for years I always was in one of the top 3 server guilds (at one time in a top world 100 super hardcore guild).

When I quit at level 73 I had epic mounts (plural) and 8800g.

All you needed to do was to download Auctioneer and play 10 mins a day with it.

In Istaria, when I quit (some months before Europe server would go offline) I had the plot near Thokk's (ie those that costed 12g or so on top of that mountain in the sea whose name I don't recall any more) and it was not my only plot.
    I still had more 16g doing nothing. I did not grind and as dragon I could not even be a procured mason.
    I just sold a lot of spells to *real* (ie no pawn) players and a lot of armor, due to a decent balance between price and volume.

Again, no grind.

Edit: the above is also a reason why I cannot be arsed to play ATM: I am a crafter / merchant who wants to bring value and earn (eventually a lot) by providing for true service to true players, not to NPCs and pawns.

what happens to that nifty Vengeance scale or Demon claw or other RARE armor for that matter
    I stated what to do with them: just repair them with kits obtained by killing nameds / bosses.
    The stuff is rare and epic, it deserves being repaired with "epic kits".
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Thread Information