Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Real* Male Movie Heroes/Stars/Main Characters.

Default *Real* Male Movie Heroes/Stars/Main Characters.

Where did they go!?

Honestly.

Anyone remember the days of Rambo, Die Hard, Terminator, Commando, Under Siege, and such movies?

They were more adult (lots of violence), but yet they had actual, real men as the main characters.

What kind of real men do we have nowadays? That Robert guy I am so sick of seeing? lol. I don't get what girls see in him to be honest.. *shrugs* I miss the good ole movies where you had some guy who could get *beep* done, not some 90lb waif guy who would fall over in a soft breeze.

Heck, Sigourney Weaver outdid (in the 'Alien' movies) most male movie stars nowadays in the masculinity department, and she's a woman!

Where'd the Real Men go?

Bring them back!

Edit: This Rant was inspired by me watching Die Hard 3. They just don't make movies like they used to...

Default Re: *Real* Male Movie Heroes/Stars/Main Characters.

The only place where that kind of men, who only understand violence and are hardly able to speak 3 coherent sentences are real men, is in the movies.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

have you watched the 'crank' movies????? or the 'transporter' series?
    jason statham is da total bomb!!!!!!

i think you just aren't seeing the same movies i do, dhal.....

check out christian bale's batman, clive owen in 'shoot 'em up' (now that's the kinda movie you will like), daniel craig as james bond, matt damon as jason bourne - really, those flix are still out here, you just have to see them!!!
    Last edited by velveeta; November 11th, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    check out christian bale's batman
    Ugh, he was just horrid in the latest one. The only reason that movie was so darn good was because of Heath Ledger. The gravelly voice was over the top and utterly ridiculous.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Ugh, he was just horrid in the latest one. The only reason that movie was so darn good was because of Heath Ledger. The gravelly voice was over the top and utterly ridiculous.

that may be true (it is patently true that heath ledger was the best thing about batman 2), but you have to agree that, gravelly voice or no, cb DOES fit the requirements of the op.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    The only place where that kind of men, who only understand violence and are hardly able to speak 3 coherent sentences are real men, is in the movies.

i don't know, sigi - i personally have always been attracted to that type of movie hero -
    i blame it on all the harlequin romances i read as a girl - gave me a very distorted view of adult men......yet another crushing disappointment for the princess when she grew up!!!

but i think you would enjoy a sly stallone flick called 'demolition man'.... if you can find it, i recommend checking it out with EXTREME ASSERTIVENESS!!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106697/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition_Man_(film)

Last edited by velveeta; November 11th, 2009 at 03:29 PM.

Quoted for truth. Movies like that promote harmful role models.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Demolition Man being recommended as a must see you'll like movie has left me teary eyed with laughter. Thats as far up the things I never thought I'd hear list as anything I've ever heard. I always wondered how those movies kept getting made.....And Now I Know, Its your fault Vel!

guilty as charged.....

and proud of it!!!!

jason statham is da total bomb!!!!!!
    Omg so true (crank 2 was just, idk crazy xD)

He is like Bruce Willis, only better.

And do you know which movies are good? Where the man is a gentleman and has sense of humor and not a terminator with tons of muscles who jumps around with his ten guns and fires rockets from his ***.

Examples are like Oceans Eleven, or Dennis Quaid in dragonheart (knights are honorable )

And Legolas is da bomb, he can shoot a giant elephant with 3 arrows, when that is not badass

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

and way hotter!!!!

John Wayne

'nuff sed.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

"You don't find Chuck Norris, Chuck Norris finds you"
    but I would have to recommend "American Ninja"
    And YES, anything with Jason Stathman, even if Crank has no real plausible storyline, Transporter was pretty good too.
    Last edited by hallucin8; November 12th, 2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: ****
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Oh and that bourne dude is also awesome:

He can beat the crap out of you, WITH A FRIGGIN BOOK

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Unfair Generalization much?

Men who "only understand violence and are hardly able to speak 3 coherent sentences" ... *goes back to my OP*

The only one that really fits this description, would be Terminator. But honestly, he plays a robot. Did you expect him to be the chatty type?

In Commando, Arnie plays a guy who is *very* loving and devoted to his daughter, the first 15 minutes of the movie is spent showing you how much he tried to avoid violence, the military, etc by moving into a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, and they show you some nice touching scenes of him and his daughter. Then they kidnap her, and... well you know the rest. He risks everything to save her. He didn't use violence until he had to.

In Die Hard, Willis is a troubled cop who is Trying to mend his marriage and see his kids, he didn't *ask* for terrorists to mess that up, did he? It isn't like he was lookin' for trouble, he was just the wrong guy at the wrong place at the wrong time. Seeing that his wife was in danger, he had to fight to save her. Can you really blame him?

Rambo. Ah yes, Rambo. He's a soldier, a guy who sacrificed a lot to ensure we can still have our freedom. Rambo is supposed to be symbolic of our soldiers in general. They go into some of the most Hellish places on Earth, willingly, to fight for our freedom. Then they return home and are treated like trash. In Rambo First Blood Pt1, he returns to a town to meet up with a friend and is immediately treated like trash, after all he had done for the country. In Pt2, his last words in the movie go like this:

Col. Troutman: By god don't hate your own Country..
    Rambo: Hate it!? I love it!
    Col. Troutman: Then what is it you Want?
    Rambo: I Want, what THEY want! *points to the POWs he rescued* I want our country to love us... as much as we love it. That's what I want.

Can you really blame him, and/or say that he can only speak 3 coherent sentences and knows only violence? Surely not...

So please don't generalize. Just because a movie has a lot of violence in it doesn't mean that the characters in the movie are bad role models, or that the actors/characters are not good men.

They are simply men who need to get something done for one reason or the other, and they don't cuddle in a corner crying about it. No, they grab whatever they have/need and go out and do what needs done.

Touching, really touching.
    How those poor guys, loving, caring, saving the world are misjudged by me.

Sorry, that kind of romantic stuff (the "manly" kind of roses, prince charming and a castle) doesn't do it for me. Those movies are the master of generalisation, strong man fighting the bad and ugly to defend wife, kids, the village, the city, the country, the world.

And sure I don't blame Rocky, Rambo and the other cliche heroes. They are not real, they are movie characters.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

personally, i learned long ago that movies never mirror real life, even the so called based on true stories ones.
    movies, tv, cartoons, even books - all are one persons viewpoint. how one person sees things. real life is not one person, and one person's viewpoint cannot be taken as the beall and endall of anything.

i love a good action flick, the same as i love a good romantic comedy, a gritty drama - a good movie.
    it might be totally brain cheese, like 'demolition man' or it might be historical drama like 'gandhi'.

all i expect from entertainment is entertainment.
    i have never met a man like rambo or one like richard gere's character in 'shall we dance'.....

so dhal - those types of guys are fun to watch, yes....
    and sigi/xos - i don't expect any of the men in my life to be anyting like any character in any movie i have ever seen.

to me, that's a lot like the peeps who once said that rock music and d&d were evil. its not the game, or the music, or the movie - peeps are responsible for being who they are, not who we want them to be......
    Last edited by velveeta; November 12th, 2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: i prolly am not explaining my views the way i want to.....

personally, i learned long ago that movies never mirror real life, even the so called based on true stories ones.
    movies, tv, cartoons, even books - all are one persons viewpoint. how one person sees things. real life is not one person, and one person's viewpoint cannot be taken as the beall and endall of anything.

i love a good action flick, the same as i love a good romantic comedy, a gritty drama - a good movie.
    it might be totally brain cheese, like 'demolition man' or it might be historical drama like 'gandhi'.

all i expect from entertainment is entertainment.
    i have never met a man like rambo or one like richard gere's character in 'shall we dance'.....

so dhal - those types of guys are fun to watch, yes....
    and sigi/xos - i don't expect any of the men in my life to be anyting like any character in any movie i have ever seen.

to me, that's a lot like the peeps who once said that rock music and d&d were evil. its not the game, or the music, or the movie - peeps are responsible for being who they are, not who we want them to be......
    ok, might be my lack of understanding/writing english, you know, those tricky little differences when you think you are using the right word but it just means something else for the native speaker but I really never thought movies depicted real life or that watching movies makes you bad.
    I never mentioned the term "role model" or good or bad.
    My first remark was a neutral observation. Those heroes áre only "real" man in the movies.
    By the way someone reacts/comments on a picture I can conclude: ok, you're probably not my kind of person (let's talk about it or not depending of importance) but I don't think the picture did that to that person.
    I also never thought about the kind of man you like or want to meet.
    I only reacted on the "real" man bit
    Last edited by Sigi; November 12th, 2009 at 03:38 PM.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

If, sitting in the audience, I can smell testosterone coming from the big screen, it's probably not my kind of movie... I guess I prefer men a bit cleaner rather than sweaty and bloody. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    If, sitting in the audience, I can smell testosterone coming from the big screen, it's probably not my kind of movie... I guess I prefer men a bit cleaner rather than sweaty and bloody. ;-)
    I can kinda understand that too...

But then there are movies like Twilight where you can't tell the guys from the girls (well, if you shave the guy's beard off, that is..).

Can we get, maybe, a grey area between Too Much and Too Little testosterone/masculinity?

And to quote Velveeta...

This here is pure truth and nothing but the truth.

Too bad we can't teach the churches and the government that.

Thread Information