Thread: Hello and goodbye

Default Hello and goodbye

Greetings. I know this is a little unorthodox, to be saying hello in the "taking a leave" forum, but I thought it would be appropriate as I am a new player to Istaria - and one who is leaving in such short amount of time that a "hello" would just be frivolous. I'm posting this thread to share some of my thoughts on the game and on why I am leaving it. I said I wouldn't when I was in-game, but I feel I really have to put down my thoughts so that they're recorded for the sake of the new player.

This is going to be a long post. The tl;dr version is: I am a newbie who doesn't like the game because it was too hard.

Just as a bit of background, I'm a 23 year old veteran MMORPG player with experience dating back to EverQuest, having played it back when it was still considered the top dog. I've had stints with several other MMORPGs, including Lineage 2, City of Heroes, EVE Online, and World of WarCraft. I have been gaming quite literally since I could pick up a controller, and with the rise of online gaming, I've been quite the MMO-hound, seeking to enjoy a well-designed adventure with a good community.

A friend pointed me at this game, noting it for being a primarily PVE, player-based, dragon-sporting MMORPG. It looked intriguing, since I greatly enjoy player-run economies, diverse crafting skills, and dragons. I wanted to give it a shot to see if it might be worth paying for, since I can't go willy-nilly and pay for every MMO that comes along, so I decided to try the "free" route and test out a human.

I created Orlus Vangouille on the Chaos shard and was immediately met with greetings and welcomes in the New Player Assistance channel. The community definitely seemed strong from the get-go, and the Spirit Isle was a simple introduction that started out rather enjoyably. I dove right into things and despite a few nags in the game client that I had to figure out, things seemed alright. Aside from some things that other players in the New Player Assistance channel said were known and being worked on (such as the low spawn rate for level 1 monsters in the groups of level 2-3 monsters around the newbie area), I didn't have much to complain about, and I was drawn in.

Then I left the Spirit Isle and went to the newbie starting zone. I was eager to get some quests out of the way, and in my eagerness, a friendly higher-level player tossed some buffs on me and gave me several pieces of level 1 equipment that would have been otherwise unreachable to me. I thought, "What a great community this is, helping other people out," and it's true; I was very much impressed by the community in my short time playing. The reason why my time was so short, though, was because the game itself took a sharp and, in my opinion, unnecessary spike. This was not due altogether to my inexperience in the game, I think; most of my problems came from a lack of clarity in quests, locations, or even things that appear to be outright bugs that completely stalled my progress.

A brief list of my complaints:

1) Quest text in the quest log are very basic and sometimes entirely unclear as to their location, direction, or intention. While some may say "Follow the road southeast until you get to the bugs," for a quest involving killing bugs, others may say "Go northwest of town to talk to this NPC," where "northwest" here means "anywhere that is not southeast." NPCs sometimes have more detail in their dialogue, but some don't - and there's often no way of making an NPC repeat what they said for the quest text or viewing it again later in your quest log. Abandoning quests is troublesome, just to have an NPC repeat what they said, especially with multiple objective quests that would set you back a good deal of time if you lost all that progress. My trouble was with one quest that told me to look for an NPC northwest of the town; while answers in New Player Assistance were encouraging, none of them could give me a good location or directions, and while that's very nice, the QUEST ITSELF did not provide any help in actually completing it. I spent the greater part of two hours looking for an NPC that I still have not found.

Some may say that the quests shouldn't "lead you by the nose" and that "exploration is encouraged." I agree; a good game has a nice balance of holding your hand and letting you be free in searching. However, I believe there is a fine line between "The quest encouraging you to explore" and "The quest giving you nothing to go on at all, leading to hours of frustrating, fruitless wandering in abandon." Veteran players may not notice it or may tout the advantages of such a system - if a game is "too hard" for WoW-playing idiots to latch onto, then they won't clutter the game, but I refute this with "If your game is too hard for the willing and able to pick up on smoothly, you will lose new players until you're all alone on your server." Others suggest using a wiki or a map-pack; while this is notable in that the community has provided such measures, the GAME is responsible for my being able to PLAY it. I played WoW for four and a half years, and my mantra for all its addons and plugins and extras was "If you cannot play the game without all your bells and whistles, you shouldn't play the game." In this case, it's not that I was relying on addons too much - the newbie island was making me feel as though 3rd-party resources were REQUIRED to proceed.

2) Newbie combat is difficult, bordering on the frustrating. I'll go ahead and say that the game's combat system is likely not its major draw, as it is pretty much "click enemy, wait until dead." There's not a whole lot of innovation going on there, but in the same token, the game should not be frustratingly difficult to make up for its lack of combat ingenuity. For example, as a level 5 warrior, with the aforementioned gear donation from a charitable player, I was unable to kill a level 6 monster on the newbie island because it had loads of hit points. I seemed unable to hit it at all. When I did, it was for a pittance of its health. It, meanwhile, steadily whittled me down, sometimes taking off enormous (comparatively) amounts of HP. I died and had to spend time running back out to where it was, because it was on my way to a quest - a level 5 quest given to me at the town. When I got to my destination, the NPC wanted me to kill 5 skeletons which were around the local area. I set to work. Upon attacking my first skeleton, I tried to move him away from his friends (as I read undead are typically "community aggro" and will call for help). While fighting him just off to the side, a skeleton wandered toward us, then began attacking. I had barely gotten my first skeleton down to 75% when this happened, but I thought to myself, "I have cleric levels as well, and healing spells, I should be fine." This might have held true if another skeleton hadn't come from across the road and aggro'd me. Now with 3 skeletons on me, with only one of them even halfway damaged, I was being over-pressed to just survive. Then a fourth skeleton joined and it was just another death from there. Another long walk back from town, I had to wait as the skeleton who spawned very far away from all the others respawned 5 times to get my 5/5 skeletons for the quest, a process which took about half an hour.

I'd like to note that the beetles did a similar engagement when I went for my "kill the beetles" quest, but luckily dragons were farming for hoard items and were able to blast everything in the field all at once.

This is not fun.

3) The content seems exceedingly difficult for "Free" players, whereas dragons seem to have a natural advantage. I understand that this game is not meant to be free forever, and I was actually testing it out myself to see if it was worth subscribing to and playing for any length of time. However, seeing as I had all these problems, I have to wonder if it isn't INTENDED to be this difficult for free players, such that they don't overflow the server and cause more maintenance costs than can be covered by subscribers. And consider that people, like me, may be trying the game before they buy it may be turned off by such a strong difficulty curve. From this example, you have very few new players receiving a positive reception from the game - why bother paying for it, then? First impressions are often the most important.

4) This may just be a bug or a relic from the older set up of the quest system (it does, however, seem to have stemmed from poor quest description and writing), but when I was taking a break from the tedious exploration and combat quests, I went up to try the crafting. One quest was "You need to make X crafted item for the town and take them to this NPC." The NPC giving the quest had an enormous wall of text and seemed to indicate repeating the crafting tutorial from Spirit Isle all over again, so I skimmed through and decided my quest log would guide me - not a smart idea, given point #1. Anyway, I started up work on these crafted items. There was no way I could carry all the raw materials and do it all at once, so I figured I'd harvest a bit, craft some, harvest, craft, etc. It seemed to be working well until I went back to the NPC. He didn't want my crafted items. I talked to the questgiver - he wanted me to talk to him when I had sufficient RAW MATERIALS to make the items, as he wanted to TEACH ME how to make them. But I already knew how to make them, what is this?! Evidently he wanted to speak to me again after an UNDISCLOSED amount of raw material had been gathered. My quest log made NO mention of this fact. Regardless, I re-harvested the material and talked to him, seeing as how I had already made the requisite number of crafted items, I thought, "Surely he'll see me as completed." Nope. Upon receiving the "Make X amount of crafted item" portion of the quest, I had completed 0. The quest was asking a SUBSTANTIAL amount of these items, at least for a newbie like me, and I would have had to head back to town and deposit all my hard-earned wares (that I had worked for naught) just so I could carry the items he DID want.

Again, this seems to have originated in the fact that my quest said nothing about the first "hidden stage" of the quest where the NPC wanted me to gather a certain amount of raw material FIRST, and then speak with him. I can't tell you whether or not he said it for certain in the NPC quest text, but, if it's a crucial step that PREVENTS you from continuing, wouldn't you think that putting it in the quest log in painful detail would be important?

In any case, all of this simply made for a poor experience, and although I've played less than a week in this game, I am already so put off by its intricacies and nuances that I just can't see myself subscribing OR playing for free. Some people may say "Oh, not every game will please everyone," but I say, the game is fundamentally broken and far too unwieldy for new players to enjoy.

Thank you to those who were kind and, if the charitable dwarf and dragon (you know who you are) are reading this post, I will log in to Orlus again to give you back your equipment if you reply.

Default Re: Hello and goodbye

You are not the first to make comments such as these, and probably not the last, because most of them are true :| The game is not particularly friendly to new players, and there are a couple of threads discussing ways to improve the game for beginners. I won't point to the forum postings (there are a lot) but some of the improvement suggestions include:

- Directional arrows in maps for characters and quests, with the ability to mark a quest "current";
    - Colors for creature description text when you click on them (Red=you will die, Green=they will die, Yellow=close call, etc)
    - More information in the quest dialogue

There are a lot of other suggestions similar to these, but they are probably the most immediate.

If you do decide not to continue to play, then best of luck and thankyou for your posts. It gives us another reason to whip the developers
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

Thank you for your time, sharing your experiences.
    It`s important input and much appreciated.
    Not only for the devs- for the players too.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

where to begin ....

Well I have found an answer to one of your issues---- Humans are the weakest and hardest characters to level and grow but when they hit a high enough level there handy to have around

As for the quest s on new trismass yes they are indeed challenging due to the point trigger system sometimes you got to hit the precise quadrants that the developers implement for the quest to update it is a learning curve at the quest you where on I believe was one of the gifted trials and from experience that quest was made to be a pain in the tail scale

Your second objective
    Answer : wait till you’re a higher level and multi classed you will learn that the game has a very complex combat system the lower level combat is easy but wait till you hunt on stary islands !_! if I may say I am a self proclaimed Master of Lunus dragon combat often biting off way more than I should ever chew and living to tell about it but even I have a hard time fighting there and I am lv 100 100 it gets better as the game progresses somewhere around mid t3 and up

Ah the traveling skeletons of kion this is to build story line often in the class of (Named (RUN) bosses) this is to remind new players we are at war with the blight and during my hatching days I used these scratching posts to test my strength

Istaria will not hold you buy the nose with the game content its not designed for that the community as you said is great and are willing to educate you but not do it for you we had an issue with a lot of Rapidly powered level players then having high level but not learning how to truly weld your char speaking from a Dragon perspective i am raising a pet biped human currently and it is hard for them augment your self the best you can learn the damage types and then go out exploring and if that dont work out pm me and i will see if i can force one of my comps on to istaria ( Not istarias fault its my equipment at the moment ) and instruct you on how to in istaria see you out there
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Thanks for your concern and sympathy. I really feel bad for a "hit and run" post just complaining about the game, especially when there's such feedback and discussion, so I wanted to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn View Post
    You are not the first to make comments such as these, and probably not the last, because most of them are true :| The game is not particularly friendly to new players, and there are a couple of threads discussing ways to improve the game for beginners.
    It's good to know it's not just me, I felt that maybe I was just being easily-frustrated and giving up, but after a while it really started to feel intentional on the game's part.

- Directional arrows in maps for characters and quests, with the ability to mark a quest "current";
    - Colors for creature description text when you click on them (Red=you will die, Green=they will die, Yellow=close call, etc)
    - More information in the quest dialogue
    I agree with these suggestions - I know a lot of people are opposed to "quest markers" that point you to your destination every time, but in such a large world with so many places to look, a blip on your map, a "colored area" that shows the general position of where you might find your objectives, or even just the ability to pull up the NPC's quest dialogue from your quest log (that is, a complete transcript of what the NPC told you in Chat when you took the quest) would make things infinitely more tolerable and not waste hours just to wandering.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM
    Thank you for your time, sharing your experiences.
    It`s important input and much appreciated.
    Not only for the devs- for the players too.
    I really feel like input is deserved, especially when the community in a game is made up of good and decent people - I hate to bash their game, but I think they also deserve to know when it was the game that stopped someone from joining them, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw
    Humans are the weakest and hardest characters to level and grow but when they hit a high enough level there handy to have around
    Well, one of my problems is that I'm playing a human so that I can get to know the game's mechanics and see if it's worth paying for to unlock the other races or even be a dragon - if humans are the hardest, most difficult race, how am I SUPPOSED to get to "high enough level" without getting frustrated and quitting? Not to be rude, but I can't even get off New Trismus, let alone see these rumored "high levels."

wait till you’re a higher level and multi classed you will learn that the game has a very complex combat system the lower level combat is easy but wait till you hunt on stary islands !_! if I may say I am a self proclaimed Master of Lunus dragon combat often biting off way more than I should ever chew and living to tell about it but even I have a hard time fighting there and I am lv 100 100 it gets better as the game progresses somewhere around mid t3 and up
    Again, I can't even get to level 10 without going crosseyed at design flaws and quests that are better abandoned than finished. What hope do I have of seeing tier 3?

Istaria will not hold you buy the nose with the game content its not designed for that the community as you said is great and are willing to educate you but not do it for you
    I don't mind a game that requires me to think about things and spend some time looking around. I certainly don't expect everyone to drop what they're doing and come show me every little detail, either. I consider myself capable, competent even, but since I'm playing by myself and apparently chose the hardest race to play, the game is frustratingly difficult on a single player level. It's not impossible, but it feels like I'm punching a brick wall - I'll get through eventually, but why bother when it's just going to skin my knuckles?

I appreciate the offer for help, but the game so far has said this to me - "You will need a veteran player to help you through this, or you will waste your time failing to comprehend our lack of instruction." A well-designed game helps players help themselves using resources available to them in-game. Istaria, right now, does not, and it's severely turned me off.

Takatchi,

I'm very sorry to see you go. Especially after just a week. In my own experience that really never has been long enough to decide if a game is worth continuing or not.

I do want to thank you for the considerable amount of time that it took to come here and make the effort to post as well. Most of the time when someone only tries the game for less than a month as you did, they simply give up and leave, not saying anything.

However, I'd also like to point out to both you and to those who have posted after you that there are no specifics in any of these posts that would actually allow myself or others on the design team to decide if the issues raised here are truly problems, or are things that are as we want them to be.

Let me explain by example if I may. Say you are trying to decide between two different cable companies. The first is a small "mom and pop" type company that offers around 300 channels, only a few in HD, no pay-per-view, and limited "additional movie packages". The second is run by a huge corporation and they offer thousands of channels, HD all over the place, more packages than you can possibly ever put out there. You compare the two companies and realize that the first one doesn't offer Starz movie channel in any of their packages. So even though they have everything else you want, are a small company that is willing to go the extra mile to both get and keep your business... you pick the big guy because they have Starz. Of course, no one has ever asked for "Starz" before. In fact, hundreds of others use "mom and pop cable" every day and are quite happy with it, but would be even happier with "Starz". But because no one ASKS for "Starz", and no one who picks "big cable" over them says "Oh, I'd have picked you if you had "Starz", "mom and pop cable" has no clue that if they only had "Starz", they'd get more customers. Now granted, on the other hand the company might decide that for some reason they don't want to offer "Starz", and so they will have customers go to a company that wants it. But we'll never know.

This post, as I read it, is much like that. Everyone here at Virtrium is more than willing to, and has, revisited the new player experience. As proof, check out the patch notes for delta 175. Someone very specifically said that it was hard to do the first adventurer quests (when you were only level 1) because the spawn regions had level 2 and 3 mobs as well. It took me less than half an hour to redesign both Spirit Island and Skalkaar to have regions that spawn ONLY level one mobs and place them right near where level one players would find them easily. We had a report come in from someone just today about quest directions for one of the Blacksmith quests on New Trismus. They gave a specific name of the quest, where they got it, etc. And while I haven't yet pulled up the quest to look at it, I can tell you that when I do it won't take long to make changes if need be.

So while I'm not saying that the points being made in this thread aren't potentially valid, I am saying they aren't helpful towards improving the new player experience because they are simply too vague for me, or anyone else, to evaluate and fix.

Dear Velea,

Thanks for stopping by and having a look. I realize that my posts are more vague than specific, but that's because I feel that my complaints were with design choices in general, and not with specific bug fixes or individual quests, although the design choices that I dislike were made very apparent by these individual quests.

To explain, let's look at the notations posted by Stale Popcorn above. Currently, the game offers no way of pulling up NPC quest text after speaking with them - once you have accepted a quest, there is only a tiny blurb in your quest log, oftentimes giving one or two sentences that barely mention a direction and only sometimes mention specific landmarks or points of interest. While some simple quests such as "Find these green bugs, kill these green bugs" are straightforward and require no explanation other than your ultimate objective, other quests, such as the "Assessors" quest (I forget the exact name of the quest, but it's the one where you must meet and speak with the Assessors of Wit, Endurance, so on and so forth), require you to find individuals with only the most vague of directions given to you in the quest log - if you had to stop after only completing one or two parts of the quest and resume playing the next day, there's little to no chance that you may remember something the questgiver originally said - and no way to get them to repeat it without abandoning your quest, losing your progress, and speaking with them again.

To further give example, the quest mentioned about my crafting came from the blacksmith up the road from camp, who asked me to collect bars for the village. Again, I forget the name of the quest exactly and I do apologize, I'm posting from a different location and can't log in to check. The NPC seemed to give an overview of the tutorial from Spirit Isle. Confident in my ability to craft (as I reached level 4 in all crafting skills before I even left Spirit Isle) I headed off to get to work. Checking my quest journal, the quest said that I would need to bring 50 bars back to the Steward in Trismus - but it also seemed to cut off the text, as if it was already holding too much text in the scant three elaborate sentences it took to tell me "Make 50 bars and return to the Steward in Trismus." Apparently, the dwarf blacksmith on the hill wanted to speak with me when I had a handful of ore in my pocket, which I did not know until after I had crafted all 50 of my bars - and when I spoke with the dwarf again, after collecting some ore to appease him, my 50 bars' worth of effort counted for nothing. Would it be possible to 1) expand the quest log so that every objective is clear, concise, and fully explained, and 2) insert some method of detection for quest objectives in the inventory - for instance, if quest objective A wants me to gather some ore and talk to my questgiver, and then quest objective B wants me to make 50 bars, couldn't it be coded so that once I A is true, B checks to see if I have 50 bars in inventory, rather than checking to see if I have used "craft bar" 50 times, or detecting when "bar" arrives in my inventory?

In short, I would like to be able to pull up the original dialogue for the NPC from my quest journal and I would like for objectives to have their own, clearly-defined entries rather than a sentence or two suggesting their nature or location. I would like for there to be prominent markers on the map that show me, if not WHERE my quest is, then HOW close I am, or a general direction other than "North," "West," "somewhere that isn't here" to give me an idea of where to go. I would like for quest objectives to detect the presence of quest-required items when I have them, instead of looking for when they "arrive" in my inventory or when I "use" the applicable craft skill.

In addition to the quest journal being more clear and more informative after we have accepted quests, I really have a hard time imagining new players find New Trismus' monster clusters and "community aggro" fun or engaging. As I mentioned in my above post, I encountered level 5 skeletons for a level 5 quest at level 5 - it was given to me by the druid on the hill, whose name eludes me at the moment. These level 5 skeletons call for help and will assist each other, and also spawn by default in very close range of other skeletons. A level 5 player may soon find himself fighting FIVE level 5 skeletons, an impossible battle even in relatively decent gear for his level. Why is this a good idea? Is it not better to allow new players a sense of accomplishment, rather than overwhelm them immediately and expect them to learn through death, failure, and head-desk banging frustration?

Anyway. Like I said before, these are all generalizations and things that just stuck out to me. I really can't give something specific because I'm not really a game designer, a game tester, or even a gaming professional - I'm just an enthusiast. But because of this, I think the collective things that bother me are all glaringly apparent while being so obscure to others who are more familiar with the content. When you're a game developer, when you're a veteran player of many years, when you're so immersed in the thing you have created, you know what it's supposed to say. Just like a writer knows what he wants a character to say but may not have written it in a way that conveys it to other people who aren't as intimately familiar with the character, I think that older players and game developers have a harder time seeing it from an outside perspective, or at least, on the same level as the new and uninformed player may be seeing it. And I'm a terrible editor - I don't necessarily know how to say everything that bugs me, just that it does bug me.

Again, thanks for coming by and taking a look. I appreciate the attention to my problems even if they're not exactly helpful in resolving themselves.

Now you're giving me something specific to reply to, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Takatchi View Post
    "Assessors" quest
    The particular quest you're talking about is the Trials of the Gifted quest, and yes it is by design a quest where the directions in the journal are not "hand holding" and make you think. The requirements to get that quest have actually been modified, though, so that you will have to have more experience with the island of New Trismus itself before you can even get it. Presently you could get that quest way to early in your gaming experience overall. So checking that off as "fixed", personally.

Regarding the blacksmith quests: The quest you did is actually a "duplicate" of the one on Spirit Island on purpose. Again, it is easily fixed so that if you do one, you won't even get the other. However, not everyone who starts the game decides to do crafting while on Spirit Island, so that quest was added for those who pick up crafting later. Easily solved by putting in that if you did one (Spirit Island), you won't ever get the other (New Trismus).

I would like for there to be prominent markers on the map that show me, if not WHERE my quest is, then HOW close I am, or a general direction other than "North," "West," "somewhere that isn't here" to give me an idea of where to go. I would like for quest objectives to detect the presence of quest-required items when I have them, instead of looking for when they "arrive" in my inventory or when I "use" the applicable craft skill.
    I can appreciate your desire for this, but that isn't what Istaria's quest system is about. So unfortunately on this particular point, I'm going to have to disagree. While I'm open to agreeing that some quests need better directions in them in the quest journal, a system such as what WoW or LoTRO use for quest guiding simply isn't "in the cards" for Istaria.

Is it not better to allow new players a sense of accomplishment, rather than overwhelm them immediately and expect them to learn through death, failure, and head-desk banging frustration?
    Yep, it totally is. And again, something which can easily be fixed and adjusted with specifics. Now that you've given me the example, I can look at everything from modifying the AI of the skeletons, to the spawn density, to the monsters themselves.. plus looking at what equipment the average level 5 character would have.

I don't think I, or anyone, has said that there aren't potential problems with the new player experience, and if I came across that way I do apologize. From having read what you've said here, and my responses, though, hopefully you'll see that some of the problems that you've seen are those that can be fixed (the skeletons), some are design decisions that make Istaria different from other games (the map marker not happening), and others are ones that there's a compromise solution for (the Trials of the Gifted quest). But all of them, no matter what they were, are things that couldn't be addressed in any way just from your initial post.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Now you're giving me something specific to reply to, thank you.
    Truthfully I didn't think any specifics would be required when I first posted, seeing as how players can only really talk in player terms - they couldn't fix my issues even if I told them the mechanics all the way down to the wiring on the server's motherboard. That a dev is even responding to this post is both astonishing and a little scary. :P

The particular quest you're talking about is the Trials of the Gifted quest, and yes it is by design a quest where the directions in the journal are not "hand holding" and make you think. The requirements to get that quest have actually been modified, though, so that you will have to have more experience with the island of New Trismus itself before you can even get it. Presently you could get that quest way to early in your gaming experience overall. So checking that off as "fixed", personally.
    My main concern with that quest was that after doing several of the others, I looked for the Assessor of...Wit, I believe. His instruction was "Find him northwest, by <X> camp." To my knowledge I had not been to X camp, nor was I able to find it searching solely for the "clusters" of NPCs dotted all over the island that form these camps. Putting this quest "later" in the New Trismus quest chain may help newer players navigate more easily to their objectives, as I, even with help in New Player Assistance, could not lock down this NPC.

And yes, I realize the irony in the Assessor if WIT making me look like an idiot.

Regarding the blacksmith quests: The quest you did is actually a "duplicate" of the one on Spirit Island on purpose. Again, it is easily fixed so that if you do one, you won't even get the other. However, not everyone who starts the game decides to do crafting while on Spirit Island, so that quest was added for those who pick up crafting later. Easily solved by putting in that if you did one (Spirit Island), you won't ever get the other (New Trismus).
    I actually had no problem with the spirit of the second quest, considering that it encouraged me to use my blacksmithing skills, level up my blacksmithing, and in general become more adept at the crafting system outside of a controlled tutorial. The problem was linked to the quest description and text available to me in the quest log itself, which we've already talked about at length. Also, my suggestion still stands regarding "see if something can be added to cause quest objectives to detect the presence of quest objects in the inventory upon accepting the quest so that if a quest requires 50 bronze bars, and the character possesses 50 bronze bars, the character need not create 50 new bronze bars."

I can appreciate your desire for this, but that isn't what Istaria's quest system is about. So unfortunately on this particular point, I'm going to have to disagree. While I'm open to agreeing that some quests need better directions in them in the quest journal, a system such as what WoW or LoTRO use for quest guiding simply isn't "in the cards" for Istaria.
    I'm sure that with more consideration lent to clarifying objectives and allowing players to retain more information via their quest journal or the ability to make NPCs repeat quest dialogue, such a system would not be necessary. In fact, in the end, I would say that better directions or context clues would eliminate any desire for a "pointer" system. I only suggest one because it seems the easiest solution. The only thing I would actively PUSH for would be a map-based marker when you are in close proximity to your quest NPC. The map already displays nearby NPCs as blue dots on your map - would it be possible to highlight your quest NPC with a yellow dot, or a green dot, or a small Greet icon on your map display?

Now that you've given me the example, I can look at everything from modifying the AI of the skeletons, to the spawn density, to the monsters themselves.. plus looking at what equipment the average level 5 character would have.
    I would suggest, and this is just me, slimming down the "Call for help" radius or removing this behavior from New Trismus monsters entirely, as new players do not have access to the resources necessary, in my opinion, to take on 5 or more entities of their level or greater. In my case, I was even better geared, I think, than most level 5 warriors at the time. I had completed the quest from the warrior trainer to receive a piece of armor (a ringmail chest piece) and a sword (a paltry refurbished broadsword). Then, a charitable higher-level player came along and gave me a full set: head armor, face armor, shoulders, armguards, gloves, pants, belt, boots, a massive shield, and a one-handed hammer that outshone every other weapon I had received up until that point. If I had attempted to buy any of this from the vendors or consignment it would have bankrupted my character well before I got past my character's neck. And yet, even at this advantage, 5 skeletons ended me and I still had difficulty with level 6 monsters.

Anyway. This is rapidly turning into a "suggestions" thread and I apologize for that. I just want to be clear, since my comments seem so "dire" and all. :P

Again, I do appreciate you taking the time and the feedback from a developer standpoint, and I also appreciate everyone being supportive.

Thanks for your concern and sympathy. I really feel bad for a "hit and run" post just complaining about the game, especially when there's such feedback and discussion, so I wanted to reply.

It's good to know it's not just me, I felt that maybe I was just being easily-frustrated and giving up, but after a while it really started to feel intentional on the game's part.

I agree with these suggestions - I know a lot of people are opposed to "quest markers" that point you to your destination every time, but in such a large world with so many places to look, a blip on your map, a "colored area" that shows the general position of where you might find your objectives, or even just the ability to pull up the NPC's quest dialogue from your quest log (that is, a complete transcript of what the NPC told you in Chat when you took the quest) would make things infinitely more tolerable and not waste hours just to wandering.

I really feel like input is deserved, especially when the community in a game is made up of good and decent people - I hate to bash their game, but I think they also deserve to know when it was the game that stopped someone from joining them, y'know?

Well, one of my problems is that I'm playing a human so that I can get to know the game's mechanics and see if it's worth paying for to unlock the other races or even be a dragon - if humans are the hardest, most difficult race, how am I SUPPOSED to get to "high enough level" without getting frustrated and quitting? Not to be rude, but I can't even get off New Trismus, let alone see these rumored "high levels."

Again, I can't even get to level 10 without going crosseyed at design flaws and quests that are better abandoned than finished. What hope do I have of seeing tier 3?

I don't mind a game that requires me to think about things and spend some time looking around. I certainly don't expect everyone to drop what they're doing and come show me every little detail, either. I consider myself capable, competent even, but since I'm playing by myself and apparently chose the hardest race to play, the game is frustratingly difficult on a single player level. It's not impossible, but it feels like I'm punching a brick wall - I'll get through eventually, but why bother when it's just going to skin my knuckles?

I appreciate the offer for help, but the game so far has said this to me - "You will need a veteran player to help you through this, or you will waste your time failing to comprehend our lack of instruction." A well-designed game helps players help themselves using resources available to them in-game. Istaria, right now, does not, and it's severely turned me off.
    2 ways to level human witch is instantly head desk boring one craft till one of your schools is lv 100 then use lv 100 armor but i look at this as cheep

second way is to hunt trophy's till your blue in the face and do not pick up clr till you have a well out fitted warrior ( lv 20 + )

3rd (sorry i forgot this one ) the 14 day free trial of any race
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post
    2 ways to level human witch is instantly head desk boring one craft till one of your schools is lv 100 then use lv 100 armor but i look at this as cheep
    This doesn't sound like a fun idea, simply for the time it would take simply so that I could level in what should be fair and balanced areas.

second way is to hunt trophy's till your blue in the face and do not pick up clr till you have a well out fitted warrior ( lv 20 + )
    I don't know what trophies have much to do with it, being new, I don't think I've had a trophy drop.

3rd (sorry i forgot this one ) the 14 day free trial of any race
    The problem here is that it took me less than a week to encounter the problems I did on a human, and the 14-day trial is only for 14 days. Even if I made a dragon and fell in love with it, I still think I'd have just enough problems to annoy me - especially if the dragon race turned out to be "easier" because of a higher power level. I don't want to "have" to pay to enjoy the game - it should be equally enjoyable as a human or a dragon.

Dragons are easier to play, but hatchlings are more vulnerable at lower levels.

Bipeds can use all their armor slots, but dragons start with one and get another slot every 10 levels. They also get a little tougher as they accumulate hoard, which powers some of their abilities and also functions as a boost to armor.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

TBH, the difference between dragons and bipeds is like playing a different game altogether. Dragons start out weak, then get strong again, then back to weak.

This is a VERY different MMO from anything you have ever played.

Your hardest levels are teens, not the last ten like in every other MMO.

You know that J curve that every MMO adheres to? where your first 20 levels are blindingly easy and it gets tougher as you go to get you into the swing of things?

Here leveling is backwards as far as ease of xp goes so keep that in mind, and once you get one school to 100, the rest are far easier to complete.

As far as I see it, the only reason you're having trouble is because you're expecting it to be like the J curve in every MMO.

I certainly don't expect everyone to drop what they're doing and come show me every little detail, either. I consider myself capable, competent even, but since I'm playing by myself and apparently chose the hardest race to play, the game is frustratingly difficult on a single player level. It's not impossible, but it feels like I'm punching a brick wall - I'll get through eventually, but why bother when it's just going to skin my knuckles?
    Why play the game by yourself? Is it so degrading having to ask another for assistance that you'd rather be playing a single player game where you know where to go?

I don't believe that what you have interpreted as "You will need a veteran player to help you through this, or you will waste your time failing to comprehend our lack of instruction." is the point.

I more see it as, this is an MMO. You will have to help each other to survive. You're not hitting a brick wall that never gives. You're just at that bad point in leveling.

I have seen this game improve dramatically as far as quest revisions to include more info, better directions and so fourth. But they don't get fixed if no one reports them.

Years ago, I had several of my friends come, play for a month, then leave; all for the same reason. Istaria's adventurer grind on your first class is... epic, and I don't mean that in a good way. Shian is correct, though; once you get around level 80+ (bipeds) / 70+ (dragons), the difficulty eases off. Unfortunately, you can't even make the grind any better by grouping (aka asking for help, which Shian suggests), courtesy of Istaria's experience system, whereby your XP award is dramatically reduced when grouping with people of different levels. The message was, and still is clear - you can group up, but you aren't going to get any levels tonight if you do. AFAIK grouping is encouraged only for boss mobs (raid mobs, in other games) and everyone in the group is @ 100 (or near 100) in the class they bring to the fight - because everyone is there for the drop, not the XP.

The problems with the aggro-friendly skeletons isn't necessarily the group aggro itself; the problem is Istaria has next to no good "aggro" control. Only one prestige class, only available to biped races after you get to level 20 Mage, gets good group aggro control. Only the Cleric gets a good ability to redirect another (single) player's damage to himself. Nature has a group aggro control for melee mobs (patch of brambles). Everyone else has to make due with root, binding crystals, and the mind spell which I've forgotten but which is better than the other two, or nearly worthless skills like Intercept or Menacing presence (which typically miss), or the old standby: hit sprint and run away until they give up chasing you (which is available to everyone, but then you give up your xp for that fight).

Pulling monsters that are group-friendly could be the subject of an entire document with tips depending on which class abilities you have (due to the limited amount of aggro control, you need to be creative), but as a low level character, the most important things to know are (A) Mobs only "assist" their allies when they are within a certain distance of each other (so pull them far away from their friends, if they're add-on friendly), and (B) see item #A, you can't pull a single mob off these groups unless they are standing far enough away from others if their kind, and (C) the mobs of each spawn only patrol in a limited area AND they will tend to move towards you when patrolling (I can't say if this is actually coded in, but if not, murphy's law sure seems to apply here, especially with treants). A bit of testing and using the sprint method to disengage will eventually let you estimate what their "aggro" distance is, and you will know which mobs in the group you can and cannot pull without adds. In your case, you had pulled the skeletons away, but not far enough (see item #C) to prevent adds. This is intermediate Istaria combat strategy, and should probably be covered in the tutorials before sending players off to fight social mobs instead of just warning the players that they are social.

There are only 2 races which have an ability which significantly helps lower-level players, Sslik regeneration, and Dwarven toughness. All other biped racial abilities pale in comparison and most others offer little combat advantage (the Elf's ability is OK), if any. In fact, these same two skills are also the most useful to high level adventurers as well.

Also, let me reiterate that the Dragon class is most definitely not easy mode, at least not for the first 60 or 70 levels. Above that, though, if you have hoard to burn, it performs very well and is in fact an enjoyable class to play (comparable to levelling your 4th or 5th class as a biped). It will probably take less time to go from levels 70-100 than it did to go from levels 5-25.

Edit: I also consider the map pack a mandatory download for new all players, experienced or new.
    Last edited by Sparkinaranthus; November 20th, 2009 at 12:26 AM.

This may be a little late but as for as the equiptment of a level 5 biped goes the only things they would have different is a lv 5 weapon an t1 jewelry at most, armor and shields start at lv 1 and go by every 10 levels. As for drag vs biped yes bipeds do start off with more armor than a hatchling has including special attacks if i'm not mistakened at lv 4 has acces to all armor and jewelry slots. Assuming biped is going with higher armor value aka shield + weapon, bipeds at lv 4 have the option of bout 14 armor pieces including a shields and 5 jewelry pieces. dragons have 1. As far as mob agro , mobs even on the lv 90+ areas namely saris divnners has a fairly decent radius where they will run to another undead an just stand there repeatedly healing them faster than a lv 100 gifted healer can heal

Thread Information