Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dryad Glide

Default Dryad Glide

I apologize if anyone has suggested this already... but would it be possible to give Dryads the gliding ability that dragon hatchlings have?

If I remember correctly the original argument for not allowing Dryads full flight was that they don't have to go through a rite of passage to obtain it. Well, hatchlings dont need a rite of passage to glide, so I think it would be fair enough to allow dryads to glide, too.

And if you're considering this idea, it would be nice if hatchlings wearing ghost and zombie costumes could glide also, after all adults and ancients in costume are able to fly. =)

Default Re: Dryad Glide

ooh i love the idea of dryads gliding, a nice compromise between hover & fly.
    and even cooler if bipeds wearing dryad costumes could glide too! :-)

This has been discussed multiple times, it always gets turned down though. After all one little breeze of wind and the dryad would get blown halfway across Istaria ;-)
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

ditto what glin sez....
    i would think that dryad wings are too flimsy and fragile to really glide with anyway.......
    i personally okay with draggys being the only ones able to glide and fly - seems to be the natural order of things to my mind, if you get me....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    ditto what glin sez....
    i would think that dryad wings are too flimsy and fragile to really glide with anyway.......
    i personally okay with draggys being the only ones able to glide and fly - seems to be the natural order of things to my mind, if you get me....

My, very tough, dryad soooo disagrees .

She thinks Ash has a great idea!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    My, very tough, dryad soooo disagrees .

She thinks Ash has a great idea!
    Even a hatchlings galewind could blow a tiny little dryad from Bristugo to Dalimond...
    Not even counting what an ancient dragon or the natural forces of nature could do...

But to be serious again... I wouldn't mind letting Dryads glide.

Flying has been proposed a lot of times before and with this I tend not allow flying. Not from a size point of view, but not to actively want to start the biped dragon discussion again however an important point still is and shall always remain that...
    Bipeds = 28 adventure schools + 19 crafter schools (if I counted the wiki correctly).
    Dragons = 1 adventure school + 2 crafter schools + flying (but only after RoP).
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by GlindorOcculus View Post
    This has been discussed multiple times, it always gets turned down though. After all one little breeze of wind and the dryad would get blown halfway across Istaria ;-)
    The idea that has been discussed, as far as I can find, is dryad flight, not gliding. True flight might give dryads too big an advantage over the other biped races (as Awdz mentioned to me earlier) even with a low ceiling, they would still be able to fly over mountains and such that the others would find impassable... but gliding is different, you have to climb on top of something tall to begin with so no one will be gliding over anything significant. It's mostly just for fun.

The argument about their wings being too frail is just silly, I was around when the dryad vs dragon flight argument started so I remember the whole thing, mostly a jealousy issue from the dragons because they had to go through a rite of passage to be able to gain the ability.

But as I said before, hatchlings don't have to go through a rite of passage to glide so I would hope the jealousy thing would be over.

While I'm not opposed...I'm fairly neutral on the topic lately...

I think people need to realize there is a dividing line between dragon and everything else.

Wings are not indicative of flight.

Now if the devs decided to make potions of flight or carpets or whatever and eveyone could fly that'd be a different story, but that sounds quite unlikely.

The above is not a suggestion btw.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblaze View Post
    While I'm not opposed...I'm fairly neutral on the topic lately...

I think people need to realize there is a dividing line between dragon and everything else.

Wings are not indicative of flight.

Now if the devs decided to make potions of flight or carpets or whatever and eveyone could fly that'd be a different story, but that sounds quite unlikely.

The above is not a suggestion btw.

Well said... I have to agree with this

You make me sad. Perhaps it is just an un-dragonlike tendency of mine to want to share joy, rather than hoard it.

I like Awdz' idea of allowing anyone to glide while using a dryad costume, but not everyone has costumes. A levitation spell would seem like a reasonable idea. Or would that not be fair to non mages?

What about all these siege engines I see laying about?

"Step right up! Get your chance to fly!"

I think it would be fun for Dryads, and in all fairness, those with dryad costumes should be able to as well.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post

I think it would be fun for Dryads, and in all fairness, those with dryad costumes should be able to as well.
    *hops right up into the catapult bowl* wheeee!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

it does sound like terribly great fun, doesn't it?

still a no from me on dryad gliding, but at least its a funny discussion!!!!

I do not mean to sound mean or so negative on the idea... just my opinion on how it should be. my 2coppers worth

Talking Re: Dryad Glide

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post

*** Steps near to the siege, picks up a shotgun and yells "PULL!" ***

J/K,
    Sent
    N.B.: I reserve the right to be wrong and exercise it frequently.
    AzureFire - Spiritist - Chaos
    Glormf Sulfurous - Hatchie - Chaos
    Ruddy Bloke - Reaver - Chaos

count de money - but sire, the people are revolting!
    king louis the 16th - you said it, they stink on ice!

Talking Re: Dryad Glide

I love that movie!

Sent
    N.B.: I reserve the right to be wrong and exercise it frequently.
    AzureFire - Spiritist - Chaos
    Glormf Sulfurous - Hatchie - Chaos
    Ruddy Bloke - Reaver - Chaos

Awdz is no peasant!!

And I apologize.

I seem to have begun a downward spiral from a serious suggestion.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

I, for one, don't see the reason why dryads couldn't fly. In any book, movie, or source of lore with little faeries (basically what dryads are) in it they can fly just fine. Little wings or not, they have little weight to carry. It is a fantasy setting, so use your imagination a little bit. This being said, I have always thought it a little unfair to the other races that only dragons could fly. I just remember playing back in the day when you paid to play ANY race and dragons were just like any other. Since so many changes have been made, the dragons have been put on a pedestal. Since I've returned to Istaria, I'm still paying to play and my main is a...are you ready for this...HUMAN! I choose too, and this is by no means a complaint but I can honestly say that there is really no valid reason that ONLY dragons can fly. It could be made just as difficult to obtain the 'ability' for other races.

Of course, I love dragons and always will! And of course I have nothing against dragons being able to fly, it just seems that all characters in an MMO setting should be presented with the same opportunities as others regardless of race. I do believe that spells, carpets, etc. would not be completely unreasonable at all.

Thread Information