Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying for everyone!

Cool Flying for everyone!

I would like to see either a high level ability, or spell, that gives decent duration fly ability to Bi-ped Mage types.

Why not! Everyone loves to fly!

Flipswitch

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Flying for everyone!

prolly never ever gonna happen, flip, sorry......
    this is actually a topic of some contention - see the current incarnation of this discussion: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ht=dryad+glide
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

we are not aion
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Quote Originally Posted by rizo/nawkia View Post
    we are not aion
    or perfect world

this is what makes istaria unique.. dragons fly. nothing else.

well dryads hover xD

Ugh, if you want to fly so badly, roll a dragon or play one of the games mentioned above.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

There.com has nice flying vehicles. They actually have physics.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

I see some very negative posts here, and no good valid reason that flying is not offered to ALL races of Istaria. I posted about it in the previously linked post and here is my view on it, copy/pasted from the other post:

I, for one, don't see the reason why dryads couldn't fly. In any book, movie, or source of lore with little faeries (basically what dryads are) in it they can fly just fine. Little wings or not, they have little weight to carry. It is a fantasy setting, so use your imagination a little bit. This being said, I have always thought it a little unfair to the other races that only dragons could fly. I just remember playing back in the day when you paid to play ANY race and dragons were just like any other. Since so many changes have been made, the dragons have been put on a pedestal. Since I've returned to Istaria, I'm still paying to play and my main is a...are you ready for this...HUMAN! I choose too, and this is by no means a complaint but I can honestly say that there is really no valid reason that ONLY dragons can fly. It could be made just as difficult to obtain the 'ability' for other races.

Of course, I love dragons and always will! And of course I have nothing against dragons being able to fly, it just seems that all characters in an MMO setting should be presented with the same opportunities as others regardless of race. I do believe that spells, carpets, etc. would not be completely unreasonable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic
    it just seems that all characters in an MMO setting should be presented with the same opportunities as others regardless of race
    So dragons should also be able to take up all the same schools as bipeds?

I'm as reluctant as the next person to turn any thread into a "dragons vs. bipeds" debate, but hey, that's what this is already.

Real equality between dragons and bipeds would equate to homogenizing all gameplay differences between them.

Personally I don't care for biped flight or extended dragon multiclassing. I'm content with quadrupedal gameplay being distinct from bipedal gameplay in numerous ways, and vice versa. It's almost like having two games in one, which prolongs the potential longevity of a player's interest in Istaria.

Some games do provide a larger measure of equality and freedom. Most provide a much smaller measure.

I understand the desire for flight itself. It's a lovely idea, one that many imaginations are inspired by. But Istarian flight offers little to none of the feeling of flying, so don't bother envying it.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

nope nope nope - dragons only. playable dragons are unique in the mmo world and should be kept unique as long as possible.
    plus, its only right and natural.
    dryads certainly don't walk, so i don't know what else to call it but a form of very limited flight, and that is enough, to my mind.....

so my vote is still no, not that that means anything.....

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    I see some very negative posts here, and no good valid reason that flying is not offered to ALL races of Istaria. I posted about it in the previously linked post and here is my view on it, copy/pasted from the other post:

I, for one, don't see the reason why dryads couldn't fly. In any book, movie, or source of lore with little faeries (basically what dryads are) in it they can fly just fine. Little wings or not, they have little weight to carry. It is a fantasy setting, so use your imagination a little bit. This being said, I have always thought it a little unfair to the other races that only dragons could fly. I just remember playing back in the day when you paid to play ANY race and dragons were just like any other. Since so many changes have been made, the dragons have been put on a pedestal. Since I've returned to Istaria, I'm still paying to play and my main is a...are you ready for this...HUMAN! I choose too, and this is by no means a complaint but I can honestly say that there is really no valid reason that ONLY dragons can fly. It could be made just as difficult to obtain the 'ability' for other races.

Of course, I love dragons and always will! And of course I have nothing against dragons being able to fly, it just seems that all characters in an MMO setting should be presented with the same opportunities as others regardless of race. I do believe that spells, carpets, etc. would not be completely unreasonable at all.
    Maybe the fact that dragons are put on a pedestal is because they are different then anything in Istaria or in many other mmo’s. The main thing that makes a dragon different is his flying.

Personally I don’t mind having bipeds flying all over the place, then lets give dragons the strength they deserve according to all the stories about dragon. Powerfull and intelligent magical beings who’s power of magic and most of all brute strength is far and far greater then anything the bipeds can produce… lower all damage done by bipeds by about 25-50% and then lets talk again…
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Nice to see some good discussion around the subject I joined in on this post late, and surely it wasn't intended to be a dragon vs. biped type of direction I wanted to go. If that's what the post already is, fair enough, but there are some very quick reactions to a very simple/not such a big deal idea.

It's just a simple form of travel, be it on the ground or not, that is available to one race and no others. /shrug, it certainly wouldn't be robbing said race of its uniqueness by simply offering the same form of travel to other races Dragons are very unique in so many ways it can't be denied, flight is just a form of travel...which is, in a game like Istaria where travel is a lot of your time in the world, a mechanic that should be as convenient for all. My opinion on gameplay, not race/class comparisons.

In addition, I would definately like to point out that by all rights if any bipedal race got plucked upside the head with a dragon's pinky of course it would probably fly halfway across Tazoon That's very true, but any thought of debuffing bipeds in exchange for a simple movement ability is a little extreme. I have certainly read my share of fantasy lore to understand that powerful wizards and mighty warriors equipped with legendary magical equipment can fell dragons. Sorry, just fact, and dragons can also fell powerful wizards and mighty warriors equipped with legendary magical equipment! Who cares who's tough and who's not? Anyhow I was hoping to illuminate a more conservative view on the subject after all this time, in hopes that we may all have flying fun together!

Compromise: the ability to ride a dragon.

But that won't happen either. -_-

i might be able to get behind dragon riding with many hard options (the most important to be giving draggys the right to refuse and total control over the process). if a draggy wants to give rides, that's his biz......
    no flying for peds, tho. i have heard a lot of the arguments for and againat, and i am in the con group - nothing has been brought forth to change my mind yet.....

these are my2 coppers worth.

i personally think this is just silly. Dragons have wings and even though that is true, they dont get to fly at birth *hatchiehood* while i am sure if bipeds ever did gain the ability to fly they would also have a quest. but what would they fly with, istaria does not have mounts and it would be to much work and money to remodel and create new things to make bipeds fly, not only would it take this but the Devs would never do such a thing (in my opinion) it goes completely against Istaria in general, it is not the way things are according to the lay out of the game and the lore of the world. there is no lore saying that the other races do not age as they should like the dragon who can not age unless they do the ROP and AROP. Flying is not just a form of travel it is what dragons do. its like breathing , i have never and will never hear of a flying saris. or a flying gnome, less it is being tossed toward a dragons mouth ( sorry for all you gnome players) and it would take away from the dragons uniqueness. only dragons fly , this is the only game where you can play as a dragon (online game wise) and also if everyone could fly then they could not have a race free to play ( humans) and that would likely drive people away from the game. because even if you could fly some people just dont want to pay the money.

personally i have a dragon who i have worked hard to gain the ablitly to fly and to gain ancienthood. and i have a saris who is around rating 120 and level 100 in 4 schools. i wouldnt not want things any other way i like the differences offered by both character which is why i play both.

so my simple short advice...

If you want to fly, play a dragon.

(sorry for the randomness of thought on this long post)

Having spent years in Istaria as a hatchling, running hither and yon, then finally completing the Rites a week or so ago and earning my wings, I have to agree that limiting flight is sort of important to the overall game... The Rites and earning flight kept me coming back, and I'm sure it keeps a lot of Dragon players going...

Flight, for Dragons, is pretty much *the* carrot on the stick for them. Sure, we get bigger, get a few variations of breath weapons, but overall we get to 100, complete another very epic quest to get even bigger, and everything sort of stops and we all become particolored variations of the same 100/100 Dragon - which is where we become lair zombies and spend the rest of our days hauling rocks.

Now, if I could multi-class as a Dragon and invest time to learn to do more than gold rage (I'm deep primal, heavily teched, and I still melee and use gold rage to kill stuff), I'd see that as a bit of a carrot too and wouldn't feel that biped flight was a bad idea. But until then, removing that single point of 'cool' that we Dragons get would be detrimental to the race - at least in my opinion.

Now, sign me up for Dragons carrying bipeds (which has been discussed and shot down countless times), even if it requires some incredibly hard crafter quest requiring dragon crystals, metal work, and runes and biped sourced leather, spellcraft, and tinkered parts to create each level of the flight harness or somesuch, a crazy-hard quest to learn the initial skill "rider" for both parties (one for the dragon, one for the biped), and needing skillpoints in "rider" to offset a speed penalty or something, I'd be so on that path right now.

Mmm, flying bipeds. Fast food!

Dragon riders...packed lunch!

I'm okay with that. <Licks her lips.>

Dragon rides!!

And why not, we need every possible option to assault the undead nasties.

The option to allow a rider would be pretty cool esp. for dragons I think.
    Lets them do more with their character...

Probably not an option for hatchlings though, except maybe for dryad riders...

Could just make a new button on the actions window, like the trade button...

--

Don't see why dryad's can't float either... Probably shouldn't be flying above the treetops, considering wind currents etc... The geometry for 3d movement is already in the game, so why not apply it, to a certain level, for dryads. Flying through the trees is by no means the same as epic traversal of a continent. No reason why they shouldn't be able to float though...that geometry's very simple... This is mainly an issue of finding which code segments go where. Could even make dryads smaller...*shrug*

--

Flying mounts? Maybe a gryphon or two, make them extremely difficult to attain... Or not if you can put the effort into forming a relationship with a dragon or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeshlavik View Post
    Flight, for Dragons, is pretty much *the* carrot on the stick for them. Sure, we get bigger, get a few variations of breath weapons, but overall we get to 100, complete another very epic quest to get even bigger, and everything sort of stops and we all become particolored variations of the same 100/100 Dragon - which is where we become lair zombies and spend the rest of our days hauling rocks.

Now, if I could multi-class as a Dragon and invest time to learn to do more than gold rage (I'm deep primal, heavily teched, and I still melee and use gold rage to kill stuff), I'd see that as a bit of a carrot too and wouldn't feel that biped flight was a bad idea. But until then, removing that single point of 'cool' that we Dragons get would be detrimental to the race - at least in my opinion.

Now, sign me up for Dragons carrying bipeds (which has been discussed and shot down countless times), even if it requires some incredibly hard crafter quest requiring dragon crystals, metal work, and runes and biped sourced leather, spellcraft, and tinkered parts to create each level of the flight harness or somesuch, a crazy-hard quest to learn the initial skill "rider" for both parties (one for the dragon, one for the biped), and needing skillpoints in "rider" to offset a speed penalty or something, I'd be so on that path right now.
    Or they start playing and multi-classing a biped.
    I would love some limited multi-classing for dragons, but more in a way that was supposed to be done with bipeds.. A limited amount of schools. My current idea about dragon multi-classing would be perhaps max 1 or 2 out of maybe 5 special school (Melee, Casting, Healing, insert any other interesting school), in which Dragon Adventurer school abilities are all masterable. That would make dragons different instead of the particolored variations.

Frankly I don't care about bipeds flying anymore, but for dragons it is the only things that makes them more interesting then the bipeds who can keep leveling and improving themselves constantly if they want to.

While I am not a big fan of Dragon Riding and it is useless while air combat is not implemented. I like big quests, after recently completing the Breath of Acid quest I considered it a little bit to long but the end part was all worth it... My character dying...
    If it is implemented. Make it a quest for both bipeds and dragons. Dragons to be allowed to carry bipeds/hatchlings and bipeds/hatchlings to be allowed to be carried.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I simply say no! to riding on us dragons!

There already are many post about that and my opinion in this wont change.

My dragon wont allow anyone to sit him and take a ride.
    My dragon wont allow anyone to give away the control and accept the reins.

I wrote already about the transportation of a troop in a wooden container, carried in the claws. So not just one but many may be trasported into battle.

About flying for the other races:

If any other race will receive the ability to fly, that would take away one of the reasons why anyone should (as in imay be interested in) play(ing) a dragon.

Its the diversity that creates sense to play different races.
    If any race is able to do the same as the others, than we could simply play colored dots that can do everything and look all the same...that would reduce the amount off lag and the time to create new content...if thats needed any longer for colored dots.

On the other hand I guess it wont hurt if the dryads get a little upanddown ability, lets say 5-10 meters, except for the database and the coding I assume.

Riding mounts were asked for since beta, at least since release, but that wont happen (from coding/perfomance) if I remember right.
    Might be great sometimes. But we have our portalsystem, and that connects the playertowns quite well. Its ok, that it takes a bit longer into the main battle areas. Otherwise the WA would come more often to visit our homes.
    And istaria is the only game I know of, that has the road bonus!

Flying for other races (e.g humans) isnt really needed, it would only be another coolness gadget. (but that draws the coolness off the dragons)
    In other games there is the penalty if you fell of a tower/slide down a hillside, that dont happen in istaria, so the hovering of a vanguard-druid isnt needed.
    And there are, as already said, several games that provide flying for everyone. On the other hand those games dont have a race like the dragons there are only hybrid races.

Flying mounts...sure..sure..and after we get these, we change the colorscheme into the wowish-style

There a more important things, like bugs and long needed updates, before we should change the whole game concept.
    If we give flight to the other races (except dryads) I am sure that will draw people away.

Xz
    (Sorry, another of those long posts....)

draggies fly. no one else. i got nothing against draggie riding, as long as the draggie itself is willing.
    no flying carpets, mounts, clouds, rivers, yetis, bronze mixing spoons - nothing.

draggies fly. peds hoof it with gift of speed and swift walk and sprint. even hauling a cargo disk, vel is faster than most draggies can fly.

draggies fly. peds don't, not even dryads. DRAGGIES fly.

AND ABSOLUTELY NO WOW IN MY HORIZONS, EVER!

Thread Information