Thread: Spawn Rates

Default Spawn Rates

Looking for feedback on spawn rates in three areas:

• Dralnok's Doom (within the labyrinth itself)
    • Dalimond Peninsula
    • Old Rachival

In particular I would like any feedback you have on spawns that feel too slow, too fast (such as instant-respawn), too crowded (like you get jumped by 30 at one time) and so forth.

Thank you in advance.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Spawn Rates

This one is not on any of the three areas named above but.. here it goes.

Today we had 3-4 hatchies on Skalkaar trying to do their quests, it was all fine upto to the point you had to loot the grullet tusks (which in fact is the second quest you get).

The spawn rates are so terribly low that even after 45 mins only one out of the 3-4 hatchies. Imho this spawn should be beefed up, this is were new players start and shouldnt make them wait hours for a single spawn.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

This spawn WAS "beefed up" with this latest patch, Dakoren. However, if you all stand in one place, you're only ever going to trigger one region. So spread out a bit around the island. There is no reason why three to four hatchlings should all be crammed into one area trying to do a quest that literally should take 10 minutes at most.

If you all move around a bit, at full spawn there would have been 15 grulets spread out across the island, and the respawn on them is on average 30 seconds. Any faster than that is really more than that area needs to have at any given time.

Okay, I suppose I missed those..
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Rastiphan: Fallen laborers spawn at nice pace. Can be tricky since they are ranged, but it is possible to find areas to pull them too. But I think they have too great chance to drop lesser mummy embalming dust. had 12 after killing 20 of these.

The siege area with B'Nari. Everything spawns too quick here, possibly apart from Fallen overseers. Corpse flies seem particularly agressive. If they had behaviour more like (green) necroflies it would help. Perhaps just agro players only when attacked? If so they could spawn like now.

The blighted area south of Heart (the warren) seems to have only one group of undead patrolling the road. It is a quest to kill these - it requires 4 full groups of this spawn. Another patrol or something might be good.
    Last edited by Twang; January 27th, 2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: update

Muck flies seem a bit sparse. I was hunting them in the 2 muck areas by the coast and would have to run back and forth between the 2 areas and wait on spawns. I'm not sure if the areas are linked or if the spawns are just slow, but with the kill counter quest (i think it was 100 or more required, i forget now), but it seemed to me as though if you could bump up the spawn in the larger area, and leave the smaller area as it is, it would be manageable for lower T2 players to handle the small spawn and then higher level T2 players (or above) could handle the larger spawn.

Avincular spiders are a bit too sparse. Maybe have a few on the outskirts but add to the spawn in the center of the zone (or whatever passes for the "middle"). I had to run back and forth looking for respawns.

The forest skulk spawn south of the muck flats (with the fisher guys) has a delayed pop, which I think can get some T2 level players into trouble. Only 1 or 2 appear at first, but then you find yourself surrounded by enough skulks to overwhelm low level players.

My take on Rastaphan was that the spawn at the east side (end of the area) looked too populated. It was enough that it caused quite a lag spike for me while they were all spawning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Thanks.

I think I've addressed the Observatory spawns, Rastiphan, Muck Flies, Aviculara, the undead around the camp south of Heart, as well as the Dead Pool.

RE: The forest skulks... there are LOTS of skulks along the entire coast (three villages along the coast even!). If players can't find some in one spot, there are many others they can go looking.

Thank you all for your feedback. I welcome more if you have it... particularly about the non-t2 areas listed.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Was hoping i could post in hear

for me any way the fallen gards need a increase by 10 -15 mobs its the blighted home world it should be hard !

Molyc Need there evasion tweaked Desperately i dont care if you give them immunity to slash or not its rediculious looking at my combat feed back and seeing gold rage mis gold rage miss gold rage mis ravage miss ravage mis ravage mis ravage mis bite hit 100 gold rage mis gold rage miss gold rage mis

ya well u get the idea 95 % of my attacks miss with these highly sociable critters and i got tones of dex +dex pot + gift of dex +enhance dex + crystals

the little centipede things Nice keep them there nice and hard very chalanging

Dont know the re-spawn time for the name colossal scorpion right before the molyc but would not mind a reduction in respawn time and possibly make him a titch harder cause a one legged gnome in a but kicking contest can best him still

Havent messed to much with the spiders I Personality don't like them in rl and neither dose epi lol
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Exclamation Re: Spawn Rates

Last night I wanted to do some more planning by adding a few touches to my extremely low level dryad's Bristugo plot, but the silly thing had gone to NT to check out the connie. Alas, I was bound to NT and not attuned to Bris!!! So I decided to go the "pretty way" and make the Kion / Lower Bridgeview / Bristugo run. Lt. Khar stole about half my life, I didn't see Bessie and the greymanes left me alone. In the past I have always been OK with all my other toons who have made that run... as long as they remain running with disk stowed and don't dare look back.

Not last night... there were sooooo many Forest Skulk Hunters in the Sable Shore / Bristugo section and of course I was killed. I could see six or more running around me as the camera revolved around my tiny corpse (jeez, they sure are ugly close up! ). Luckily Moes came to rez me (several times) and she and Thoom battled the Hunters so I could make a panicked escape into the Bristugo gates and attune.

Well that was fine, I knew the route and there were friends that rushed to my defense. But what about the noob players? I think that it is getting just all too hard... Skalkaar is bad enough with level 1s pitted against level 5s but being able to get to Bristugo is essential. The players are no longer directed towards Genevia at the NT port: where are they meant to go, what are they meant to do? To get to Genevia they have to get to Bris. I try to go into Player Search every day or so and invite the lower level players into the Old Blight chat channel so they can get help, meet other players and ask questions. Probably about half of the new players take up the invite and often they are very frustrated and discouraged.

No, I don't want to make it easy: this isn't, thank heavens, an easy shoot-'em-up. But I do think that players should be eased a bit more into the game: your Blight (and other shard) players desperately want this game to prosper and grow and to be playable by both crafters and adventurers of all levels.

Nia
    Chronicles of the Twisted Guild : Blight Shard
    Obsidian Order : Order Shard

Quote Originally Posted by Nia View Post
    The players are no longer directed towards Genevia at the NT port: where are they meant to go, what are they meant to do? To get to Genevia they have to get to Bris.
    Players have NEVER been directed nor instructed to go to Genevia after New Trismus. They are, however, directed to Kion which is the next step in the quest progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Nia View Post
    [COLOR="Sienna"]

*snip*

Skalkaar is bad enough with level 1s pitted against level 5s but being able to get to Bristugo is essential.
    I think one of the recent patches fixed that - rating 1s are available for new hatchies to beat up on. So the spawns on Skalkaar are good for new players.
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

I agree that spawn rates and monster numbers around the new t2 areas are a potential problem, and here is why.

One of the early quests a new dragon does, is to learn about the Helian and Lunus factions, and to meditate at the Dralkar and Chiconis shrines. This is pretty easy, as you just port there. Very straight forward. However, when the new T2 stuff goes live, you will no longer be able to port to Chiconis, you will have to run there and attune. Players at this stage are around lvl 8-10 roughly. If you have to run through too many higher level mobs, and die in the process, this will be very discouraging for new players. I am very against anything that discourages new players.

A solution I would like to propose, is to reduce the spawn rate near the road. That way players can learn it's dangerous to stray off the road, but can still make it to Bristugo and Chiconis if they stay on the road and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrethorne View Post
    I agree that spawn rates and monster numbers around the new t2 areas are a potential problem, and here is why.

One of the early quests a new dragon does, is to learn about the Helian and Lunus factions, and to meditate at the Dralkar and Chiconis shrines. This is pretty easy, as you just port there. Very straight forward. However, when the new T2 stuff goes live, you will no longer be able to port to Chiconis, you will have to run there and attune. Players at this stage are around lvl 8-10 roughly. If you have to run through too many higher level mobs, and die in the process, this will be very discouraging for new players. I am very against anything that discourages new players.

A solution I would like to propose, is to reduce the spawn rate near the road. That way players can learn it's dangerous to stray off the road, but can still make it to Bristugo and Chiconis if they stay on the road and run.
    That quest was altered in one of the early patches on Blight. You are no longer required to go to Dralk and Chiconis for those quests off New Trismus.

sry Amon- its not the area you are asking about:
    But am I the only one who is missing the bloodsnout gruks (esp. 80-100) in the swamp?
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM
    But am I the only one who is missing the bloodsnout gruks (esp. 80-100) in the swamp?
    Good point. I recall the last time I went hunting, I found most of the "old" spots to have very very sparse spawns. Used to be there were nice healthy spawns scattered in about 9 locations but it was a waste of time running to the larger spawn pops because they were not so large .
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Post Re: Spawn Rates

*sighs*

Amon, you seem to have missed my entire point and focussed on a small part of my post (funny, but this seems, in my experience, to be a trait of some other devs here as well from time to time. ). Can we *please* focus on some of the larger issues here?

Stalepopcorn, OK so the grulet levels on Skal may have been tweaked but you made no mention of the bigger drama, that of the Bristugo attunement.

And may I refer other posters/readers of this thread to my post in "Skalkaar Grulet Tusk Quest broken--Officially" made today?

Nia
    Chronicles of the Twisted Guild : Blight Shard
    Obsidian Order : Order Shard

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Bloodsnout Gruok spawns are directly tied in with the Purple Spiders. So if you are killing all the Gruoks, but few of the Spiders you'll eventually only have spiders.

I recall the frost pygmies (I think) on abandoned isle (I think) being a serious pain. I would pull one as a hatchling and then inc 20! It was once in 10 minutes that I could pull one away from the group with lots of leashing or if I could manage to glass cannon one and run for my life. Bahaha. And that's when I had crafted level 80 scales and had the hatchling quest that I forgot what for exactly. Teehee

*lurks moar*
    __________________________________________________ __________

Quote Originally Posted by Kodey View Post
    I recall the frost pygmies (I think) on abandoned isle (I think) being a serious pain. I would pull one as a hatchling and then inc 20! It was once in 10 minutes that I could pull one away from the group with lots of leashing or if I could manage to glass cannon one and run for my life. Bahaha. And that's when I had crafted level 80 scales and had the hatchling quest that I forgot what for exactly. Teehee
    Anything up there is terrible... pygmies, ogres, beetles.. all dragon quests have you go up there for each.
    It doesn't matter your armor either as my level 80 also had trouble with these quests. Just waaayyy too many adds. Pull one pymgy and you get three pygmies, six wolves, two beetles and three ogres. You're dead before the damage goes through on your log.

I kind of wonder why Ruxus were fixed. To me they weren't as bad as anything on top of AI or SI. Yeah ruxus were social, but there aren't many of them at a time in any place. That's on live though so who knows.

A little late, but....

The beetles in the Lab have a very small spawn area and very small agro range. So doing the unsung hero quest where I need to kill lots and lots of them (apparently, as I can't seem to get the mandible to drop. Already killed 50 on a very slow spawn and had a few carapaces but no mandibles (which I am wondering if they drop any more and why we are asked for them when the other two drops we have to get for that quest are trophies and not tech compos)). Maybe these guys should be on instant spawn so there is enough of them. If there was more than one player hunting them (the spawn rate is already frustrating enough) it would be a massive fight between players

Thread Information